Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

I think there may be a quite simple way to restore combat which could be woven quite easily into the notion of effecting withdrawal by capturing bio-mechanical material—make Thargoid Hearts worth as much as a few dozen Research samples. As I write that, I notice that I know not the effect of capturing a Thargoid Heart at the moment.
I've run a test in Hyades Sector AA-P b6-4 (21.82Ly)
Before my activity: 0.000000
Cyclops kill: 0.000351
Cyclops heart sold to rescue ship: 0.000351 (taken at 29mins past the hour)
Doesn't look like hearts have any effect.

Part of the issue with controls being (effectively) impossible with combat - at least at the current scale/rate of clearing systems, and once you go further into the control zone - is just Frontier rebalancing them when they added CZs, but to the point that adding them was entirely redundant. If they were to revert it or even just cut current difficulty for controls in, say, half, it would go a long way toward making the actual fighting of Thargoids more viable in there.

I’m sure this isn’t new knowledge, but there’s worth in repeating it. I think, anyway. I’d also argue that, if tissue sampling were to be rebalanced(I don’t see it being removed as a tool from controls, despite not being listed as an action for them), the alert state should equally be looked at.

Combat in there, besides Orthrus hunters (note, I have not checked how much the spawn frequency of it has been increased from the original rate), is pretty much pointless to engage in as well, relative to the progress that it provides. Mostly due to no AX CZs, but I’d have thought showing smaller skirmishes in those systems here and there, in preparation for the full-fledged invasion, is not too implausible.

Speaking as one of the aforementioned burnt-out samplers, I really, really hope we get combat made meaningful in Controls in U16.
The sad thing about this is that it was meaningful back around January/February - for a ~30LY system, it only took approx. 3 medusas to move the progress bar by one notch and kills counted for each player present - but then it was "rebalanced", and of course U15 added the glaives which make effective fighting in a control a painful waste of time.

In defence of Khwal, also with a view of how heavily M. Cocijo has been attacked around Desurinbin with some quite nice help from PDES, its only inhabited targets this week:

Cocijo 34.png

We also made a special visit to Col 285 Sector DG-O c6-13, only because it was a very easy completion and removes one more attack from M. Leigong.

I've run a test in Hyades Sector AA-P b6-4 (21.82Ly)
Before my activity: 0.000000
Cyclops kill: 0.000351
Cyclops heart sold to rescue ship: 0.000351 (taken at 29mins past the hour)
Doesn't look like hearts have any effect.

Well done; that was fast! We checked it also just in case it took a while to count the heart, but it was still exactly 0.000351, which seems a shame given the quite proud announcement of salvage-origin-system-tracking. Making the heart worth a lot would still be a great way to empower combat!

Part of the issue with controls being (effectively) impossible with combat - at least at the current scale/rate of clearing systems, and once you go further into the control zone - is just Frontier rebalancing them when they added CZs, but to the point that adding them was entirely redundant.

There is one other specific benefit brought to us by adding Conflict zones, albeit having little to do with the zone encounter itself—it creates an accessible navigation marker. In theory this gives Commanders in Open a convenient means to congregate in an empty system without meddling with Wing invites, which would make everything much nicer if the activity value of combat was sensible, the targeted counter-attack systems were meaningful and it were feasible to follow the Top Systems in the Thargoid War Information panel for reliable action to join.

All of that design is actually quite thoughtful and already in place, just unused due to the slow progress it makes. Combat was effective in the past, and I remember when we made extensive use of a faction installation as a navigation marker to gather for our first inhabited Control eviction in HIP 38235. There were easily at least ten Commanders there at any given time!

There is one other specific benefit brought to us by adding Conflict zones, albeit having little to do with the zone encounter itself—it creates an accessible navigation marker.
Definitely, but as you said yourself, sadly somewhat redundant given how ineffective combat is at clearing controls currently(which Omumba very clearly demonstrates).

Not too sure I expect Frontier to address this, but one can hope. I’m sure it would make for a welcome break for the tissue samplers, too.

Victories in Col 285 Sectors ZE-P c6-10 and DG-O c6-13, and HIP 38718! That makes a good sixty-seven this week versus only twenty-eight attacks, with the new record achievement Njorog beginning recovery, and once again without any attacks progressing past the Alert. Very special extra thanks to @Carpets for the relative action measurements relayed a while back, and for the thorough system strength measurements!

Just when I thought that probably there were no astoundingly high reports this week, a double-check revealed that the Hyades Sector AV-O b6-5 Overachievement Award has to go to HIP 11111 for showing 300%!

Definitely, but as you said yourself, sadly somewhat redundant given how ineffective combat is at clearing controls currently(which Omumba very clearly demonstrates).

Omumba more so demonstrates the high strength of Omumba, though—the amount of activity occurring there could engulf the nearby Vasupari, for example. The Commanders involved there have demonstrated that they could trample perhaps twenty farther systems in a week!

For rough intelligence -
- Of the projected possible targets, spotted 5 that were ex-control now Desurinbin has been obstructed. 4 appear to have actually been hit - BD+77 84 appears to have had an extra week recovery, though that said i'm missing One of the 33 alerts when i try to add things up so, server/galaxy may still be in flux..

65 Kappa Tauri was noted as having conflict zones and severe supercruise in the past - double checked and both remain true, 4 i didn't have intel on til some travelling.

Balak and Wanmi (Raijin), BD+77 84(Oya - long recovery seemingly) and HIP 20948 (Indra) all offering conflict zones on visit, both space CZs and the no-fire-zone ones at the various ports.
secondary notes -
65 Kappa Tauri both the czs and ports are 75,000Ls from star.
HIP 20948 ports are 55,000Ls from star.
Balak's port/outpost were <20Ls with decent gravity for the planetary port, will probably get the overachievement award this time far as any 'will take what we can get' ground CZ fans.

Week 35, 27th July 3309​

Thirty-three Alerts repelled at Hyades Sectors PN-T c3-8 and MT-I b9-1, HIPs 20485, 7143, 19757 and 20948, Col 285 Sectors NG-E b12-3, NG-E b12-4, YT-Q c5-12, OB-E b12-4, BF-E b13-1, RM-B b14-4, YT-Q c5-14, KW-M c7-16, JW-M c7-10 and UD-G b12-2, Arietis Sector FG-Y d66, Vogulu, HR 1403, Cephei Sectors WO-A b4, FB-X b1-1, ZE-A c8 and DQ-Y b1, Namayu, Balak, Pegasi Sectors OI-S b4-1 and FW-W d1-110, Gliese 9035, Hez Ur, Jawul, 65 Kappa Tauri, Wanmi and Bi Dhorora.
Thirty-nine Control evictions at Hyades Sectors NT-I b9-2, GW-W d1-87, LY-I b9-0, GB-N b7-4, QN-T c3-4 and PN-T c3-23, HIPs 22203, 116542, 8078, 9764, 6251, 37520, 6442, 20741, 5629 and 19600, Col 285 Sectors IA-G b11-3, SM-C b13-1, SM-C b13-2, RS-H b11-6, VY-Q c5-19, ZE-P c6-6, US-H b11-4, YY-F b12-3, WN-H b11-4 and OC-V d2-81, Ixbaksha, Arietis Sectors LM-V b2-3, NH-V b2-0, VJ-R b4-2 and VJ-R b4-3, Mesarthim, Pegasi Sectors UK-L a9-0, QE-N a8-2, NY-O a7-2 and NY-O a7-1, 57 h Tauri, Trianguli Sector EQ-Y b3 and Haitchane.
Six recaptured systems starting Recovery are Ixbaksha, HIPs 9764, 37520, 6442 and 20741, and Haitchane.
Maelstrom Thor loses three attacks, and Leigong is unable to attack.

Targets updated at 06:50 3rd August 3309
Tougeir Control 30% *30.7%Oya 16 Ly
Kurumanit Control 14% *14.1%Cocijo 20 Ly
Omumba Control 12% *13.8%Hadad 14 Ly
HIP 18776 Control 10% *11.9%Thor 28 Ly, empty
HIP 21946 Control 8% *8.3%Indra 24 Ly
68 Tauri Control 8% — Indra 26 Ly, empty
58 Tauri Control 6% — Indra 22 Ly, empty
Col 285 Sector IA-G b11-0 Control 6% — Thor 36 Ly, empty
Trianguli Sector EQ-Y b5 Control 4% *5.5%Taranis 18 Ly, empty
HIP 19781 Control 4% *5.3%Indra 26 Ly
Col 285 Sector EA-Q c5-17 Control 4% — Thor 35 Ly, empty
HIP 8924 Control 4% — Leigong 30 Ly, empty
Pegasi Sector KH-V c2-13 Control 4% — Raijin 25 Ly, empty
HIP 19198 Control 2% *2.2%Thor 17 Ly
Col 285 Sector EA-Q c5-11 Control 2% *2.2%Thor 30 Ly, empty
Mahlina Control 2% *2.2%Cocijo 21 Ly
HIP 21008 Control 2% *2.1%Indra 23 Ly, empty
77 Theta-1 Tauri Control 2% — Indra 21 Ly, empty
Kamato Control 2% — Raijin 27 Ly
HIP 23069 Control 2% — Indra 26 Ly, empty

Notes
The Alert report lists predicted attackers which can be stopped this cycle.
The Alert systems 65 Kappa Tauri, Balak, Wanmi and HIP 20948 have residual port conflicts, with minor fines due to a no-fire zone.

Week 34, 20th July 3309​

Twenty-eight Alerts repelled at Col 285 Sectors VS-Z b14-1, SH-B b14-2, VS-Z b14-5, TS-Z b14-3, DA-E b13-1, AP-F b12-2 and YY-F b12-6, HIPs 29596, 39468, 20527, 11111, 19157, 20890, 20491 and 20899, Cephei Sectors AV-Y b6 and AF-A c22, Pegasi Sectors DG-X c1-6 and GW-V b2-3, Cao Tzu, Arietis Sector ZU-P b5-4, Nu Guang, Luggerates, Bormuninus, Canaharvas, Unktety, Tagin and Pathamon.
Thirty-nine Control evictions at Col 285 Sectors QX-H b11-4, EA-Q c5-8, OC-V d2-96, SS-H b11-3, SS-H b11-0, SS-H b11-5, VY-Q c5-7, SS-H b11-2, SS-H b11-4, KM-V d2-69, OS-T d3-115, OS-T d3-116, ZT-F b12-5, VD-G b12-0, XY-F b12-1, ZE-P c6-20, WN-H b11-5, ZE-P c6-21, VD-G b12-1, VD-G b12-5, ZE-P c6-15, ZE-P c6-16, ZE-P c6-10 and DG-O c6-13, Ceti Sector ZU-Y b3, Arietis Sectors GG-Y d64, JM-W d1-60, ZP-P b5-2, JM-W d1-82, ZP-P b5-1 and ZP-P b5-3, HIPs 9607, 112595, 37844 and 38718, Trianguli Sector CA-A c14, Vocovii, HR 457 and Njorog.
Six recaptured systems starting Recovery are Col 285 Sectors KM-V d2-69 and ZE-P c6-21, HIPs 9607 and 37844, Vocovii and Njorog.
Maelstroms Leigong and Thor each lose two attacks, and Taranis loses three attacks.

Last edited:
Oops—I was just about to post the following table, but it looks like everybody seems to be staying ahead of that now!
We have also just delivered 309 units for Hyades Sector NT-I b9-2; as usual, if that fails to complete or overshoots with more than around 1%, something has changed.

System​
Inhabited​
Maelstrom​
Distance​
Week evicted​
65 Kappa Tauri​
Yes​
Indra​
25.42 Ly​
24​
Cephei Sector ZE-A c8​
No​
Oya​
19.9 Ly​
27​
Col 285 Sector NG-E b12-3​
No​
Thor​
24.09 Ly​
27​
Col 285 Sector NG-E b12-4​
No​
Thor​
22.22 Ly​
27​
HIP 7143​
No​
Leigong​
28.38 Ly​
30​
Arietis Sector FG-Y d66​
No​
Leigong​
18.07 Ly​
30​
Hyades Sector PN-T c3-8​
No​
Taranis​
23.97 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector JW-M c7-10​
No​
Hadad​
17.37 Ly​
30​
Pegasi Sector OI-S b4-1​
No​
Raijin​
25.76 Ly​
30​
Hyades Sector MT-I b9-1​
No​
Leigong​
33.9 Ly​
30​
Cephei Sector DQ-Y b1​
No​
Oya​
17.75 Ly​
30​
Cephei Sector FB-X b1-1​
No​
Oya​
20.26 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector BF-E b13-1​
No​
Cocijo​
28.02 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector YT-Q c5-12​
No​
Cocijo​
28.06 Ly​
30​
Pegasi Sector FW-W d1-110​
No​
Raijin​
24.58 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector YT-Q c5-14​
No​
Cocijo​
28.14 Ly​
30​
HIP 20948​
Yes​
Indra​
23.54 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector KW-M c7-16​
No​
Hadad​
20.42 Ly​
30​
Balak​
Yes​
Raijin​
23.02 Ly​
30​
Cephei Sector WO-A b4​
No​
Oya​
15.39 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector OB-E b12-4​
No​
Thor​
21.04 Ly​
30​
Col 285 Sector RM-B b14-4​
No​
Hadad​
21.89 Ly​
30​
Wanmi​
Yes​
Raijin​
26.36 Ly​
30​

Last edited:
Of the projected possible targets, spotted 5 that were ex-control now Desurinbin has been obstructed. 4 appear to have actually been hit - BD+77 84 appears to have had an extra week recovery, though that said i'm missing One of the 33 alerts when i try to add things up so, server/galaxy may still be in flux..

Cephei Sector AV-Y b6 appeared as an Alert at first; that has now disappeared except for still being yellow on the map, and Gliese 9035 now seems to have an Alert. Something has combusted!

Apologies for skipping straight to the inhabited alerts as a shortlist - definitely more than five about, but it gets the port CZs flagged for combat pilots to rush over and evac to steer clear... not sure what will end up as the final alert but, for now the remaining 32 seem to be behaving, i'll just note it in graphic and speed along while I can.

Victories in Col 285 Sectors ZE-P c6-10 and DG-O c6-13, and HIP 38718! That makes a good sixty-seven this week versus only twenty-eight attacks, with the new record achievement Njorog beginning recovery, and once again without any attacks progressing past the Alert. Very special extra thanks to @Carpets for the relative action measurements relayed a while back, and for the thorough system strength measurements!

Just when I thought that probably there were no astoundingly high reports this week, a double-check revealed that the Hyades Sector AV-O b6-5 Overachievement Award has to go to HIP 11111 for showing 300%!

Omumba more so demonstrates the high strength of Omumba, though—the amount of activity occurring there could engulf the nearby Vasupari, for example. The Commanders involved there have demonstrated that they could trample perhaps twenty farther systems in a week!
Also true. Suppose I could have added that I meant the harder-to-clear controls further into a Maelstrom(don’t post when it’s really late and you already didn’t sleep well the previous day), but I’m also not entirely convinced that a 20 or so outer Maelstrom systems would have seen the same level of dedication/focus as a single one, given that part of it likely comes from attracting random attention through its progress alone.

I could also be wrong on that, but I’m not sure I’d believe every party involved in its effort was in communication with one another.

Anyhow, I’ll leave that particular matter there. If the people working it end up clearing the system through a combination of sampling and the ongoing combat activity(assuming that it does carry on), all the better. It’s still one mountain of a task nonetheless.

Hi everyone.

Sorry for enter in the middle of the subject, but I found this topic, because after a fight in NJOROG(*), the percent of recovery has change drastically from one moment to the next, and I start try figure out some explanation about what happened.

So I am realy new in thargoid gameplay, and I read a lot this topic, but some question remanin, "What is the sample ?", how-to get this sample in AX. combate zone.

If anyone can help a noob here. I thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

(*) I fought there to retake our homeland (Blop- Brazilian Legacy of Pilot)

What is the sample ?", how-to get this sample in AX. combate zone.
You obtain tissue samples from Thargoid scouts and interceptors(don’t get them from Glaives - they barely provide progress), with the use of either a research or universal limpet controller(and cargo racks, of course). Corrosive resistant racks recommended, naturally, as the samples are caustic in nature. That’s what people have been doing to get those progress jumps - gather enough samples to clear a system, store them on fleet carriers, then hand them in all at once.

It’s quite a simple task, really. You just target the Thargoid ship and launch limpets from however many controllers are onboard. Seeing as the dedicated research limpet controller performs the task faster, you should probably use that one.

Mind you that, for bulk sampling, people use dedicated builds rather than doing it in combat/AX CZs(aside from luring a scout a long distance from its center). There’s been a few writeups to guide one in the task, but I don’t have any of those bookmarked.

You obtain tissue samples from Thargoid scouts and interceptors(don’t get them from Glaives - they barely provide progress), with the use of either a research or universal limpet controller(and cargo racks, of course). Corrosive resistant racks recommended, naturally, as the samples are caustic in nature. That’s what people have been doing to get those progress jumps - gather enough samples to clear a system, store them on fleet carriers, then hand them in all at once.

It’s quite a simple task, really. You just target the Thargoid ship and launch limpets from however many controllers are onboard. Seeing as the dedicated research limpet controller performs the task faster, you should probably use that one.

Mind you that, for bulk sampling, people use dedicated builds rather than doing it in combat/AX CZs(aside from luring a scout a long distance from its center). There’s been a few writeups to guide one in the task, but I don’t have any of those bookmarked.
Hi, thanks for your prompt return.
I will try this in others BLOP system ;)

The fit for the ship is ok, I understand the concept.

Thanks again, I'll return here what I can accomplish to help with the gameplay you're discovering.

Hi, thanks for your prompt return.
I will try this in others BLOP system ;)

The fit for the ship is ok, I understand the concept.

Thanks again, I'll return here what I can accomplish to help with the gameplay you're discovering.
Do be aware - the difficulty of clearing systems increases exponentially the closer they are to the Maelstrom. Clearing Njorog (14.7Ly from Taranis) took several weeks of our sampling team stockpiling about 18,000 samples. The reason that the progress bar spiked is because samples count when sold to a Rescue Ship, not when gathered (which means that a stockpile isn't hit by the tick, usefully). I made a guide for sampling here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-guide-to-reclaiming-thargoid-systems.617612/

Do be aware - the difficulty of clearing systems increases exponentially the closer they are to the Maelstrom. Clearing Njorog (14.7Ly from Taranis) took several weeks of our sampling team stockpiling about 18,000 samples. The reason that the progress bar spiked is because samples count when sold to a Rescue Ship, not when gathered (which means that a stockpile isn't hit by the tick, usefully). I made a guide for sampling here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-guide-to-reclaiming-thargoid-systems.617612/
Yeh, reading and learning, a lot of tips here. The link is great to understand more.

My Faction (BLOP) appreciate the effort in NJOROG and all knowledge share here.

Thanks ;)

Victories in Hyades Sectors PN-T c3-8 and NT-I b9-2! We have a quite good-looking start, especially given a few more problems caused by not going with a dual Launcher until the new one is properly ready.

Alerts at 17:50 27th July 3309:
HIP 20485 Alert 24% *25.8%Indra 21 Ly, 27 Ls starport
Vogulu Alert 20% *23.5%Hadad 21 Ly, 336 Ls starport
HR 1403 Alert 10% *10.4%Indra 25 Ly, 194 Ls starport
Namayu Alert 10% *10.1%Taranis 27 Ly, 374 Ls outpost

Apologies for skipping straight to the inhabited alerts as a shortlist - definitely more than five about, but it gets the port CZs flagged for combat pilots to rush over and evac to steer clear... not sure what will end up as the final alert but, for now the remaining 32 seem to be behaving, i'll just note it in graphic and speed along while I can.

Not at all! I was making those lists for you all in the first place, and it is well that the scouting is now occurring in advance of posting it. Consider said scouting expected, and that I will watch for any omissions instead!

HIP 11111 has a legacy planetary cz that also gives thargoid kill missions when in alert. It was popular and busy.

I am very happy to hear it! Even if the scouting of unofficial Conflicts is a bit more proactive now, it still pleases me a lot to have helped with identifying candidates over the last few weeks with such popularity as a result.

Yeh, reading and learning, a lot of tips here. The link is great to understand more.
My Faction (BLOP) appreciate the effort in NJOROG and all knowledge share here.
Thanks ;)

Welcome, and it is lovely to hear from BLOP! I remember well that you all saw a quite large number of your systems become Thargoid-controlled automatically when M. Taranis arrived, or quite soon thereafter, and it is well now that some have seen recovery.

To reminisce a little, a couple of weeks into the war we received this message:
63 Eridani has been specifically requested for assistance from the Brazilian Pilots.

Coincidentally I was already quite well-aware of the large number of BLOP systems lost, with my reply:
They deserve all the assistance they need; M. Taranis really stomped upon their space much more so than has occurred with many/most other affected factions. I remember lamenting their situation over a week ago while I was demonstrating the INTRA changes for update 14, where I used their Hupang system as an example.

63 Eridani was defended from Invasion in weeks 3 and 18, has had Alerts repelled in weeks 22, 25 and 28, and remains to this day a Human system!

I just have a question; why in Fargod's name do you get a f... fine in an active AX CZ area and get an anonymous access to the base while fighting in a CZ? How does that work? What's the logic behind this stupid interaction? Like i needed more reasons to never interact with this...

Top Bottom