The 2020 Dev Run: As Big As The Launch Run (?)

Not quite sure what you mean. Earth's moon is in the game, just not landable. Not sure I'm aware that there have ever been any plans to make it landable in the near future so in that sense, no - not canned, just not landable.
Afaik, it was to be polished and released with more detail than standard proc gen moons. Is non-atmo rocky - so it was generally expected to appear during Horizons.

Afaik, it was to be polished and released with more detail than standard proc gen moons. Is non-atmo rocky - so it was generally expected to appear during Horizons.
AFAIK that's community rumour, although I'll obviously defer to a dev citation I don't recall FDev saying anything about it.

One of my suggestions was to sell a Moon permit for a tenner so they could tick the 'multiple DLCs' box while we wait for the next big thing to arrive.

AFAIK that's community rumour, although I'll obviously defer to a dev citation I don't recall FDev saying anything about it.

One of my suggestions was to sell a Moon permit for a tenner so they could tick the 'multiple DLCs' box while we wait for the next big thing to arrive.
I’m pretty sure a dev said they wanted to do something special with the moon.

I seem to remember that been stated from FD. Is been a while. Anyway - it was explanation why we couldn't land on Moon - it was reserved for special treatments.

I think there isn't landing on moon is that, if you want "fidelity", you have to hand craft the terrain and can not use ProGen.
I have the impression Frontier haven't yet decided how to do it without spending a lot of resourced in doing it.

Probably ;)

The game engine has the ability to take an image and insert it into the landscape. This is how the land surrounding bases is made flat. A while ago there was an amusing bug where faces showed up on planet surfaces ;)

So the tools are there to take known maps of the moon surface & insert them into the game, with proc gen terrain filling in any gaps. Presumably it's just a matter of them wanting to do it justice, but imo that boat sailed long ago.

It'll flop. I cannot understand anyone who has owned the game more than a month who gets excited or hyped. FDev's track record at this point is embarrassing.

The cycle, in short:

Fdev overpromise (and their promises will be scanty at that)

Fdev overhype (look at how HYPED the THARGAGDHS were...)

Fdev underdeliver (on their already scanty promise - remember Carriers were supposed to be a 3.3 feature?)

Fdev get crucified (see every time this cycle has occurred in the past, and their attempts at "community events")

Fdev stop talking to the playerbase, go in a huff, the response (lack of) causes another chunk of the playerbase to quit for good, and we repeat again in 12 months time.

Who cares they are spending 18 months on it. They spent 24 or more in all on Horizons, and 12 on Beyond. Neither lived up to expectation, both were riddled with stupid bugs (infinite packhounds anyone? Beta test? lmao), and every time they revise a gameplay mechanic they make it more cumbersome, riddle it with bugs - which they take forever to fix, unless god forbid it gives credits easier - and ignore any and all player feedback.

If you get hyped about this new "update", the pain and hurt is on you at this point. Their track record is embarrassing, and, lets be honest, there's a good chance you'll quit before then.

It'll flop. I cannot understand anyone who has owned the game more than a month who gets excited or hyped. FDev's track record at this point is embarrassing.

The cycle, in short:

Fdev overpromise (and their promises will be scanty at that)

Fdev overhype (look at how HYPED the THARGAGDHS were...)

Fdev underdeliver (on their already scanty promise - remember Carriers were supposed to be a 3.3 feature?)

Fdev get crucified (see every time this cycle has occurred in the past, and their attempts at "community events")

Fdev stop talking to the playerbase, go in a huff, the response (lack of) causes another chunk of the playerbase to quit for good, and we repeat again in 12 months time.

Who cares they are spending 18 months on it. They spent 24 or more in all on Horizons, and 12 on Beyond. Neither lived up to expectation, both were riddled with stupid bugs (infinite packhounds anyone? Beta test? lmao), and every time they revise a gameplay mechanic they make it more cumbersome, riddle it with bugs - which they take forever to fix, unless god forbid it gives credits easier - and ignore any and all player feedback.

If you get hyped about this new "update", the pain and hurt is on you at this point. Their track record is embarrassing, and, lets be honest, there's a good chance you'll quit before then.

The main thing that interests me is that they've changed behaviour by dumping Seasons. Seasons were terrible, IMO, from the off. And not just as a 'Where's my bang for buck?' player experience. The fractured deliveries and reliance on multiple small teams working in staggered runs just didn't stack, and likely asked too much of them, going by results. It's proved a poor way to effect big, complementary, cohesive changes on the game.

Horizons clearly suffered from this. Beyond was clearly a transitional year, dolling out 'half' a Season while a sizeable chunk of the team (presumably) moved onto the DLC 'full production' from August on.

Personally my expectations are set at: Better than the Season deliveries, more akin to the launch product in that they've got a long run to hone & overlap the core game mechanics etc.

Ain't hyping. (I remember what was duff about the launch game too ;)). But quietly intrigued as to whether they can improve delivery by doing one big cohesive dollop of work. Reckon there are grounds for saying they can.

The downtime in the interim doesn't affect me too much, as I only dip in and out for updates at the mo, and play a bit of CQC (which is still ace in VR, for all its other lacks ;))

But you stick with your 'It'll flop' certainty fella ;)

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The main thing that interests me is that they've changed behaviour by dumping Seasons. Seasons were terrible, IMO, from the off. And not just as a 'Where's my bang for buck?' player experience. The fractured deliveries and reliance on multiple small teams working in staggered runs just didn't stack, and likely asked too much of them, going by results. It's proved a poor way to affect big, complementary, cohesive changes on the game.

Horizons clearly suffered from this. Beyond was clearly a transitional year, dolling out 'half' a Season while a sizeable chunk of the team (presumably) moved onto the DLC 'full production' from August on.

Personally my expectations are set at: Better than the Season deliveries, more akin to the launch product in that they've got the a long run to nail the core game mechanics etc.

Ain't hyping. (I remember what was duff about the launch game too ;)). But quietly intrigued as to whether they can improve delivery by doing one big cohesive dollop of work. Reckon there are grounds for saying they can.

The downtime in the interim doesn't affect me too much, as I only dip in and out for updates at the mo, and play a bit of CQC (which is still ace in VR, for all its other lacks ;))

But you stick with your 'It'll flop' certainty fella ;)

I think Braben actually responded to you on that precise topic here (unless you are a different Golgot :D ):

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/_/dg42x3y Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/ask_him_anything_david_braben_obe_fdev_ceo/dg42x3y?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Elite Dangerous: Enemy of my Enemy

The Guardians have returned!! Angry at the human worlds, who have been desecrating Guardian holy sites in search of technological advances, they declare war on humanity and begin a steady march across the galaxy towards Earth - leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. Hastily, the Pilots Federation negotiates a fragile truce between Federation and Empire, forming the Galactic Humanity Defence Force in search of ways to defend against this new threat. But how can they be defeated? The only race to have done so were the infamous Thargoids ...

Experience a new, story-led, immersive DLC whereby you must investigate Thargoid crash sites for technology to unlock their galaxy-hopping abilities; jump across space-time to the Thargoid home planets; survive the Thargoid defences to retrieve vital weaponary and return to our universe equipped to fight the Guardians. When the dust settles ... who will be left standing and what we will have become?

-- Source: totally made up b*llocks

Heck, I can dream, right?!

Elite Dangerous: Enemy of my Enemy

The Guardians have returned!! Angry at the human worlds, who have been desecrating Guardian holy sites in search of technological advances, they declare war on humanity and begin a steady march across the galaxy towards Earth - leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. Hastily, the Pilots Federation negotiates a fragile truce between Federation and Empire, forming the Galactic Humanity Defence Force in search of ways to defend against this new threat. But how can they be defeated? The only race to have done so were the infamous Thargoids ...

Experience a new, story-led, immersive DLC whereby you must investigate Thargoid crash sites for technology to unlock their galaxy-hopping abilities; jump across space-time to the Thargoid home planets; survive the Thargoid defences to retrieve vital weaponary and return to our universe equipped to fight the Guardians. When the dust settles ... who will be left standing and what we will have become?

-- Source: totally made up b*llocks

Heck, I can dream, right?!

The Thargoids never beat the Guardians. The Guardians forced them into retreat, then killed themselves with robots.

Top Bottom