The Double Engineered FSD is Insane

I just went looking for this at Jameson Memorial as I have access, however, it's not listed at the Tech Broker there. Is it only at specific Tech Brokers? Usually Shinrarta is a good place for all Modules and the Tech Broker there had had everything I've looked for in the past.

Scoob.
Tech brokers come in more than 1 item class there are currently a max of 2 classes

Human tech item supplier..
Guardian tech item supplier..

Don't land at the wrong one or the item won't be there to unlock...

Double engineered FSD is human tech item... if you can buy guardian items at the station its the wrong one..

Last edited:
Tech brokers come in more than 1 item class there are currently a max of 2 classes

Human tech item supplier..
Guardian tech item supplier..

Don't land at the wrong one or the item won't be there to unlock...

Double engineered FSD is human tech item... if you can buy guardian items at the station its the wrong one..

Thanks, I think the one at Jameson Memorial is just Guardian. I didn't use any of the online tools to search specifically for a human one, assuming (wrongly) the one at Jameson would have everything. Jameson is usually my go-to place for most things, for obvious reasons, but it looks like it doesn't stock this particular item.

Scoob.

Playing on PC I fitted one to my AspX this morning. Added mass manager, increased jump range by around 5.5ly.
Only problem I can see is that the ship gets hot when charging the FSD, upto 76 degrees. Before fitting this FSD ship would only reach 63 degrees when charging.
The extra 5.5ly jump is a nice increase.But same as you... I found it runs a bit too hot. So ended up putting the other one back.

If you wanted something unusual and stylish, might I suggest the Imperial Clipper?

I have one that I built to be a very self-reliant explorer with a max jump range of 51ly - and that doesn’t use the double engineered FSD. It isn’t going to be able to get to the extreme edges of the galaxy, but it’s perfectly good for everything else :)

The view from the cockpit is immense, and the sheer style and opulence of the craft makes it a delight to be in. I also like to imagine the surprised and awed looks on the faces of deep space asteroid base staff as I glide it in to land :D
Clipper is a nice ship - but then damn small landing legs just puts me off the ship. :rolleyes:

The extra 5.5ly jump is a nice increase.But same as you... I found it runs a bit too hot. So ended up putting the other one back.

Put thermal spread experimental on it - you can do it by unlocking Felicity Farseer - the first engineer people usually unlock.
It will help with the heat.

Also, make sure you use a A-rated power plant. Anything else has worse efficiency and will increase the heat

If you wanted something unusual and stylish, might I suggest the Imperial Clipper?

I have one that I built to be a very self-reliant explorer with a max jump range of 51ly - and that doesn’t use the double engineered FSD. It isn’t going to be able to get to the extreme edges of the galaxy, but it’s perfectly good for everything else :)

The view from the cockpit is immense, and the sheer style and opulence of the craft makes it a delight to be in. I also like to imagine the surprised and awed looks on the faces of deep space asteroid base staff as I glide it in to land :D

super high jump fsd's are primarily useful for trader ships ...so you can reach more stations in 1 jump fully loaded from a given station.

They dont really have much use for exploration since exploring the outer edges is a potential bragging right, not a means of actually being good at exploring. You dont need jump ranges that are much further beyond 30 ly. Exploration is something you do on economy mode so you're actually seeing systems. Jumping further away isn't going to improve your exploration game ...nor is it going to speed up exploring since you'll be refueling more frequently per systems explored.

super high jump fsd's are primarily useful for trader ships ...so you can reach more stations in 1 jump fully loaded from a given station.

They dont really have much use for exploration since exploring the outer edges is a potential bragging right, not a means of actually being good at exploring. You dont need jump ranges that are much further beyond 30 ly. Exploration is something you do on economy mode so you're actually seeing systems. Jumping further away isn't going to improve your exploration game ...nor is it going to speed up exploring since you'll be refueling more frequently per systems explored.

Almost everything you said about exploration was wrong!

Almost everything you said about exploration was wrong!
in what way?

1. you get nothing but a reduction in systems scanned in a given amount of time by being in sparser (edge) areas of the galaxy. They're not more valuable. They're not more rare. You just have to refuel more frequently
2. Economy mode for moving around allows you to hit more systems and "explore" them while missing fewer systems and saving fuel so you have to refuel less often.

The majority of stars in the galaxy are well within 30ly of eachother and this density maximizes your ability to explore systems. There's absolutely no reason to be in the much more sparser regions and you'll get nothing by limiting yourself to such places. You gain nothing exploring by maximizing your fsd beyond that.

However, for trade, an fsd that takes you a few LY further when fully loaded with cargo will open up systems to single jump loops that were out of reach before. For trade, these high range fsd's really can make a difference. For exploration, no. they're pointless beyond 30-35ly.

in what way?

1. you get nothing but a reduction in systems scanned in a given amount of time by being in sparser (edge) areas of the galaxy. They're not more valuable. They're not more rare. You just have to refuel more frequently
2. Economy mode for moving around allows you to hit more systems and "explore" them while missing fewer systems and saving fuel so you have to refuel less often.

The majority of stars in the galaxy are well within 30ly of eachother and this density maximizes your ability to explore systems. There's absolutely no reason to be in the much more sparser regions and you'll get nothing by limiting yourself to such places. You gain nothing exploring by maximizing your fsd beyond that.

However, for trade, an fsd that takes you a few LY further when fully loaded with cargo will open up systems to single jump loops that were out of reach before. For trade, these high range fsd's really can make a difference. For exploration, no. they're pointless beyond 30-35ly.
"Wrong" in that you assume everyone wants to explore the same way you do. Some folk like to find a point of interest, head to it as fast as possible, then spend their time exploring that area. Others will perform a mix of both.
Regardless, there is no wrong way, only each persons personal way. I prefer to have as much range as possible, because you dan't need the extra LY's, until you do.

Z...

in what way?

You seem to assume that an explorer using a 70 ly jump range ship will only plot max jumps.
Which is wrong.

Having a ship with a large enough jump range doesnt mean you cannot do small jumps.
However, having access to longer range jumps is an added bonus to mobility which is not detrimental to exploration in any way.

You seem to assume that an explorer using a 70 ly jump range ship will only plot max jumps.
Which is wrong.

not guaranteed, but certainly likely since max jump range ships sacrifice much to be that way and most of the discussion is about getting to some distant place quickly.

so not wrong just realistic.

Having a ship with a large enough jump range doesnt mean you cannot do small jumps.
However, having access to longer range jumps is an added bonus to mobility which is not detrimental to exploration in any way.

the crying about flying paper ships with no defensive ability begs to differ.

It is not always the extreme distances but the little places in between that is the most interesting. Having long range jump capability is fun and convenient - but you might skip stellar things of interest on the way.

not guaranteed, but certainly likely since max jump range ships sacrifice much to be that way and most of the discussion is about getting to some distant place quickly.
the crying about flying paper ships with no defensive ability begs to differ.

My explorers usually pack enough shields to survive a crash, but they still have a build focused on range.

Anyway, these are choices to be made, but you do no offer any arguments in the favor of your theory that a exploration ship should not have a jump range bigger than 30ly, else they will miss out, as you imply below 👇

You dont need jump ranges that are much further beyond 30 ly. Exploration is something you do on economy mode so you're actually seeing systems. Jumping further away isn't going to improve your exploration game

But getting there and back as fast as possible is the usual and normal reason for why people prefer long jumpers and why they dont explore in FDLs

The point it, having a 30-35ly ship is going to limit your exploration potential. It will definitely NOT increase it.

It is not always the extreme distances but the little places in between that is the most interesting. Having long range jump capability is fun and convenient - but you might skip stellar things of interest on the way.
I have one system I discovered that's huge, 69 planets. When I go exploring, I go to that system first. My Krait Phantom has a 73 LY jump range and it takes about 92 jumps to get there.

Once there, I switch the map over to F, G and K stars only and display only systems I've never visited and go to each one. The average range is around 7 LY.

You need a huge jump range to get out there to the black when you don't have a carrier. Once there, you don't.

I see the double engineered FSD drive and other similar modules as a gift to people who complain about the engineer grind, I have one in my Phantom of course, but most of my ships just have a regular engineered FSD.

I see the double engineered FSD drive and other similar modules as a gift to people who complain about the engineer grind, I have one in my Phantom of course, but most of my ships just have a regular engineered FSD.
Same. In fact, I didn't even know about the double engineered drive until a couple weeks ago.

I have one system I discovered that's huge, 69 planets. When I go exploring, I go to that system first. My Krait Phantom has a 73 LY jump range and it takes about 92 jumps to get there.

Once there, I switch the map over to F, G and K stars only and display only systems I've never visited and go to each one. The average range is around 7 LY.

You need a huge jump range to get out there to the black when you don't have a carrier. Once there, you don't.
Only if you are in a rush ?My exploration is very ohhh look at that and head in that direction and then ohhh pretty and head over there . So for instance I was on the shake down flight on my (44lyr dolphin) and headed towards Sag A then decided you know what let's go to Beagle. 3.5 months later I realised I have to come back 🤦‍♂️ . That was my first visit I then had to return a few years later as an issue with elite meant I had to wipe my Xbox and I lost all my visited stars before dec2018!!!! And I spent over a year getting there and back . I get distracted easily 🤣.

So you want to go through 375 jumps of systems that have already been discovered?

More power to you.
The least amount of jumps til I hit undiscovered from the bubble was 11 . And I generally don't go the main routes straight to sag a then straight to beagle , So I hit mostly undiscovered with a smattering of discovered as I over lap another explorers routes . So my ratio is more undiscovered than discovered so if 375 jumps I would assume a 75 max(but that for me would be high) would be discovered and the would be mostly at the begining ( bubble) and at the end ( near beagle as star density drops ). The beauty of smaller jumps is that those who rush out miss those in-between so you jump say 70 I would have to jump twice ish so doubling my chances of undiscovered ?
But again that's my own personal way of doing it which is to say yours suits you and mine suits me . At the end of the day as long as you enjoy the game it's a plus plus .

Top Bottom