The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

So, out of curiosity, what is it people are looking for?
With apologies to James Elroy Flecker,

Who are ye, in rags and rotten shoes
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

We are the explorers, master; we shall go
Always a little further. It may be
Beyond that last blue mountain, barred with snow,
Across that angry or that glimmering sea,
White on a throne or guarded in a cave,
There lies a planet where we'll understand
Why men were born.

Xothao RA-D d13-41 (Midway Geysers)

Again - no more geysers

P.S. Is there any need to update these or I can just give up?

Attachments

• 20190606234600_1.jpg
    20190606234600_1.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 247
What's the thing with Maledictus Luna? If this is just a landing site of Mercury 7 exp why it is not historical?

P.S. With 3.3 some unique biological structres were added to this system so they can be also included in the desc.

How about two planets sharing an orbit? I sure haven't seen it before. They have the exact same "arrival point" of 3548.8 ls.

Well, it may be two new colliding planets if they have different velocities. Though it looks they are not really on the same orbit and they are just close to each other. Somebody will have to do investigation and some calculations to say for sure.

Meh. What's the point of collecting 50 level III boosts worth of jumponium if you don't find an excuse to use it every so often? And if you want inter-body distances, then I had to be there.

I (Cmdr Merydian) found a planetary nebula that doesn't show up on the Galatic Map, so I'm going to try to provide a name and description. I think it fits in neatly/thematically with another nearby nebula.

Name: Corsair's Treasure
Description: First discovered by Cmdr Pirin, this planetary nebula is situated about 1600 light years away from Corsair's Nebula. In contrast to the red and blues of Corsair's Nebula, Corsair's Treasure shows a green cast to the usual planetary nebula blue and is particularly noticeable within the system. And that green cast hints at the true treasure to be found in this neutron star system. The treasure is found in the planetoids orbiting several brown dwarfs: this is a "green" system, having all the materials needed for premium jumponium.

Visitors passing through can easily reach Corsair's Nebula via several neutron star jet cone boosts in its direction.

6zlYeCO.png

4FY043C.png

Last edited:
Name: Troianas

Description: This system was discovered on the Minerva Centaurus Expedition, Jan 23 2018. At the time it was not clear to me that the ELW actually is a Trojan Planet. With the latest discussion about Trojan Planets, the re-discovery by CMDR Orvidius and the message from CMDR Sapyx I was made aware of the rarity of that system. It seams that the ELW lies in the Lagrangian point L4 of the Gas Giant. I think that this system would be a nice POI in The Galactic Mapping Project.

Thanks Commanders.
Ay1WqBl.jpg

nzfekWn.jpg

pJ8yvdy.jpg

Fly/land safe.

CMDR Steyla

Last edited:
There's been considerable progress in finding Trojans with Orvidius' new algorithms generating a big long list of them extracted from EDSM raw data. So Trojans themselves may not be rare any more... but Earth-like Trojans are. Orvidius has extracted just 12 of them (including the one Steyla just submitted) out of the EDSM data, plus one more inhabited terraformed one in the bubble. I'd like to submit one of these for the list, which may be one of the more spectacular for visitors; it's not too far from Colonia, on the Colonia - Beagle Point route.

Name: The Many Moons of Troy

Description: Trojan planets are rare, finding an Earth-like planet in a Trojan orbit is even rarer. This one is perhaps the most interesting of the dozen or so currently known, with four landable moons which should provide for some excellent photo opportunities, especially from the two closest moons which are a binary pair. It is also a relatively simple system, with only two planets: the gas giant, and the Earthlike in Trojan orbit of the gas giant, so it shows off the principle of Langrange Points fairly neatly. Scenery and science while enroute to Beagle Point.

Screenshots:

3HaMuOt.png

(the binary pair of moons are to the right of the limb of the planet)

kzBv2PF.png

VWQKvkQ.png

EEzW0wz.png

POI Name:Starburst Nebula Cluster
POI Type:Regional Feature/Planetary Nebula
GalMap Reference:Scheau Bli WP-O e6-3632
Description:A cluster of eight nine planetary nebulae mostly concentrated above the Starburst nebula. Nebulae in the cluster include:
  • Aemorrs SD-B e9406
  • Scheau Bli QO-Q e5-8410
  • Scheau Bli WP-O e6-3632
  • Scheau Bli VP-O e6-7624
  • Scheau Bli ZP-O e6-6827
  • Scheau Bli AL-O e6-5008
  • Scheau Bli XK-O e6-10975
  • Aemorrs YT-A e7696
  • Scheau Bli XZ-P e5-980
Image: Source: https://imgur.com/a/ci9mwNg

Edit: Nine after finding Scheau Bli XK-O e6-10975

Last edited:
One question,

a short time ago I posted here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...t-expedition-hub.116450/page-201#post-7822865

What else is required to get that system listed as a POI on edsm.net?
I asked Anthor and he mentioned the existence of a special team that monitors posts on this thread...

Greetings and welcome to the Galactic Mapping Project :)

Thank you for your submission, we will get to it eventually as we work us through the backlog of submissions that accumulated during DW2 ;).

Cheers

Corbin

Map update: Post #3878 - #3930

Added:
  • A Dance of Spirals
  • Baade & Zwicky's Eye <- PN included because it is far from the galactic core
  • The Great Escape (post 3909)
  • The Smoj Crystal Fields (post 3753+3914)
  • The Virulent Nebula <- PN included because of unusual lighting + rings
  • Choose Your Own Adventure (post 3742+3916)
  • The Rejected Child
  • Rusty Rings
  • Fading Hope Micronebula
Updated:
  • The Silly Cat Forrest <- Renamed to The Fiery Cat Fissures
  • NGC 4463 Planetary Nebula <- Renamed to Autumn Nebula
  • Bloody Haze Nebula <- added info on rare Mollusc habitat
  • V821 Arae <- added image and data
Pending:
  • Not Rayet (post 3919) <- awaiting feedback on rarity
Not Added:
  • SANDOSAN2 DW2: 3CX-DW (post 3892) <- nice find but not that rare