The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Update "Blue Snowball Nebula" POI entry to add:

"This location was the destination of the 'Sudden Mystery Expedition' that was a lead-up to the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. At the end of this short expedition, dozens of commanders who had arrived in the Blue Snowball Nebula destroyed their ships. Pieces of wreckage may still float among the asteroid belts...."

(Fun fact, not part of description: This orbit is so eccentric, orrey refuses to draw an orbit for it!)

Another fun fact, despite being the only planet in that system, it has a high inclination with regard to the ecliptic plane. Which really makes me wonder how the Stellar Forge defines that plane... I would have thought in a system with just a single planet, that planet would define where the plane is. I have seen a couple other 1 planet systems just like this, with the single planet listed as having a highly inclined orbit...

I've seen those too. It makes it a right pain to find the planet in the FSS, when you're following the line of the orbital plane and there's nothing there in the full 360º.

Another fun fact, despite being the only planet in that system, it has a high inclination with regard to the ecliptic plane. Which really makes me wonder how the Stellar Forge defines that plane... I would have thought in a system with just a single planet, that planet would define where the plane is. I have seen a couple other 1 planet systems just like this, with the single planet listed as having a highly inclined orbit...

I feel like SF creates the bodies and then "invents" orbital parameters.

I can't prove it, but I think what SF is doing is creating the plane of average rotation for the proto-planetary disk, and then evolving the system forward in time, during which proto-planets can interact and eject each other into inclined orbits, or star systems may be close enough to interact during those early stages. They did say that SF quickly runs through the star system's formation history to create them, and supposedly takes these kinds of things into account.

If the plane represents the original protoplanetary disk, then occasionally you should see deviations from it due to interactions during the star system's formation.

Anyway, I just hope that's what they did, because that makes sense. ;):D

Im not sure if this is rare enough to be recorded, but I've never seen a landable planet this close to a Neutron star before, plus its only 620ly from Colonia so makes an interesting short sightseeing trip. Being this close to Colonia I was actually surprised it was undiscovered.

Name:Echo's Lighthouse
Game map search ref:EOL PROU WK-F D11-281
Description:This rather violent Neutron star, with wide jets, has a landable planet only 32ls away. The surface of the planet is bathed in a blue radioactive light and provides for spectacular views of the nearby Neutron star. This system is located only 620ly from Colonia making it a good destination for a short sightseeing trip.
Screenshot reference:

That's definitely a rarity worth including, it's hard to find neutron stars with close planets (it's generally only possible when they're in close binary systems like this one).

Since another pilot has already visited this system after seeing a screenshot I posted, I might as well post this here...

NameGhostly Lantern
GalMap RefByoi Chraei EV-Y d15
DescriptionBody D 1 in this system offers the rare sight of a brown dwarf dominating the view from a planet's surface, casting its eerie glow over the landscape. The icy body orbits the brown dwarf at such a small distance that one orbit takes less than 3 hours. A gravity warning might be in order for potential visitors, as the planet has a surface gravity of 2.3g.
Screenshots
D2qQL35.jpg

ibM4ex0.jpg

Bonus screenie:

sXncpTS.jpg

Name: Goliath's Rest Stop
Galmap Ref: Traikeou OR-W b5-0
Type: Planetary

Desc: "A scenic stopping location near the hyper-luminous Traikeou Goliaths. Planet C 3 is an earth-like world with a moon orbiting at no more than 0.1 light-seconds. Terrific and varied views are possible due to the 60 degree orbital inclination of the moon. If you arrive at the right time, the Traikeou nebula can also be observed while admiring the earth-like world. A water world with a moon just as close can also be found, but the water world is both smaller and less colorful. An ammonia world rounds out the collection of life types."

ccutvDKl.png

Ww3eu4Wl.png

iurjHK7l.png

Top Bottom