The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

View attachment 109502 Tue_Mar_22_17-48-34_EDT_2016.pngTue_Mar_22_17-47-33_EDT_2016.pngOk i found a system with two herbig ae/be stars I would like to name it " The Eyes of Riker" the system is Whambeia PO-Q e5-2321 A
It is about 7kly from the core and holds two of these very rare beauties( herbig ae/be stars) the " eyes rotate at an incredible speed in an effort to see everything. And the post number is #623( enjoy and sorry if I posted this info in the wrong place its my first submission. )

Last edited:
My contributions from the Distant Worlds Expedition :)

1) Praea Aerb SH-V d2-1

A 5 Water Worlds system above NGC 6357. All WW are in a straight line, the first two being TC. (Forum refuses to accept my uploads, so Imgur it is.)

Nicknames : <to come up with>

[IMGUR]JvcxI[/IMGUR]

2) Carbon Stars Region

Quite a dense CS region, but I may be mistaken since I don't know the average density of CS per region :D

Eorld Byoe TZ-P d5-3257
Eorld Byoe TZ-P d5-4692
Eorld Byoe TZ-P d5-6172
Eorld Byoe UZ-P d5-3188
Eorld Byoe UZ-P d5-4384
Eorld Byoe UZ-P d5-4569
Eorld Byoe UZ-P d5-5028
Eorld Byoe VZ-P d5-4159
Eorld Byoe VZ-P d5-4446
Eorld Byoe VZ-P d5-4972
Eorld Byoe VZ-P d5-5553
Eorld Byoe WZ-P d5-1045
Eorld Byoe YF-O d6-7556
Eorld Byoe ZF-O d6-923
Eorld Byoe ZF-O d6-3570
Eorld Byoe ZF-O d6-5455

I haven't tagged them all, still some left alone around this place I think, because of my laziness. System maps : http://imgur.com/a/JvcxI (same as above)

Nicknames : <to come up with>

3) Eos Bre TS-U e2-1914 Nebula

Very bright (screenies are unedited) and pink nebula. Photos here : http://imgur.com/a/8GC1F

Nickname : <to come up with>

cfRlA8l.png

4) Eorm Briae KM-W e1-861

Purple blackhole nebula.

pobVsQS.png

5) Eorld Byoe LX-T e3-7333

Purple NS nebula.

yQv0GEi.png

6) Hypiae Audst WH-H d11-14

Pentastar system, 5 suns in a very short ls-span.

qYDMCko.png

h9ZBZlZ.png

uuh4vPI.png

7) Les Sauvageonnes Herbig Ae/Be Field

A very, very dense Herbig area, about 150x150x150 ly at most, containing at least 250 Herbigs that i scanned, and about 500 total estimated. I scanned all the VJ-R sector named Herbigs, and only started to survey a few other sector names before leaving to continue my journey. So there are still plenty of them left to tag :p The location is very close to the Athaip ZP-P Nebula (DWE WP10), look for Athaip VJ-R e4-6108 and surroundings ; Galmap filters set to proto stars.
The system
Athaip VJ-R e4-6108 has an ELW.

Statisticians and analysts can access 224 system maps here : http://imgur.com/a/fBy5h

Nickname : Les Sauvageonnes

Amongst the whole, this system, quite bugging :D

tgm1ggq.png

Last edited:
Plenty of good findings @Qohen Leth!
I have reported the nebula Eos Bre TS-U e2-1914 previously (post 604) but I think you arrived before me (as well as selling the data before me, obviously) so you should be the one to think of a name for it. I see you have not given names to your nebulae: did you take any screenshots from the nearby systems? These can sometimes suggest a good name, if you have one showing it from the right angle.

Plenty of good findings @Qohen Leth!
I have reported the nebula Eos Bre TS-U e2-1914 previously (post 604) but I think you arrived before me (as well as selling the data before me, obviously) so you should be the one to think of a name for it. I see you have not given names to your nebulae: did you take any screenshots from the nearby systems? These can sometimes suggest a good name, if you have one showing it from the right angle.

Ow :O Apparently, yeah, I didn't wait more than a week at Beagle Point before returning... Well, as you found it as well (and before me!), you should name it :) I'll get on naming them, I just want to find perfect names :D

Last edited:
Yes, there are some fantastic maps of the entire galaxy avaiable now, thanks to Corbin Moran & Finwen of the FGE.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220230

Over the summer the mapping project is going to transition over to use those maps and basically have a complete overhaul.

New entries are on hold at the moment and probably won't be added for quite some time while the project is in transition.

Yes, there are some fantastic maps of the entire galaxy avaiable now, thanks to Corbin Moran & Finwen of the FGE.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220230

Over the summer the mapping project is going to transition over to use those maps and basically have a complete overhaul.

New entries are on hold at the moment and probably won't be added for quite some time while the project is in transition.

Good to know, I will hold off on the Rift submissions until everything is converted over.

So post DWE I'm planning on venturing out along the ends of the Scutum Centaurus Arm and delving a bit into the Abyssal Plain. I've searched the forums for any threads or even info about that area (Map 20) and it seems like there isn't much of anything known about this region. Is this actually the case? Am I planning to fly into super uncharted territory? :eek:

So post DWE I'm planning on venturing out along the ends of the Scutum Centaurus Arm and delving a bit into the Abyssal Plain. I've searched the forums for any threads or even info about that area (Map 20) and it seems like there isn't much of anything known about this region. Is this actually the case? Am I planning to fly into super uncharted territory? :eek:
Yes :D

The Abyssal Plain was meant to be the route home after DW, but I think its going to be penciled in for a major expedition of its own later in the year. If you want to do some scouting out there on your way home, please do :)

Yes :D

The Abyssal Plain was meant to be the route home after DW, but I think its going to be penciled in for a major expedition of its own later in the year. If you want to do some scouting out there on your way home, please do :)

Allright, now I'm even more excited than I was before!

I'll do regular trilaterations and keep an eye out for points of interest that would make good waypoint locations on any future expeditions. If there's anything in particular you want to look for while out there Erimus just let me know.

I'm attempting a non-jumponium crossing of the Vacuus around NGC 1893. It may not be possible, but wish me luck, LOL.
It's fairly straightforward in a stripped down Anaconda without boosts. It takes some manual plotting, but it's only on the same order of difficulty as taking a similar ship on a direct route across the Abyss to the far rim.

It's fairly straightforward in a stripped down Anaconda without boosts. It takes some manual plotting, but it's only on the same order of difficulty as taking a similar ship on a direct route across the Abyss to the far rim.

Yeah, but only if you know where to start from. Or better said, where not to start from, LOL. (I had some initial missteps but I think I'm on the right track now.) I'm making a hand-drawn digital map on my iPad Pro using a nice graph paper background that will be easy to follow.

Here's one for the Outer Arm Vacuus when I explored it earlier:

Name : The Twins' Garden
Game map search ref. : Hyueths HS-H d11-5
Description : Situated in a rather sparse region, with few habitable planets around, this system has a wide variety of worlds orbiting its two stars. The most striking are the two binary Earth-likes orbiting each other, but there is also a nearby ammonia world orbiting a planet as its moon. The more distant second star has two water worlds orbiting it, one which has an ammonia atmosphere: both are candidates for terraforming.
Screenshot Ref. Post : http://i.imgur.com/8Y60bOT.png

Also, a more proper form for the southern meridian I posted earlier:

Name : Borchgrevink Point
Game map search ref. : Hypuae Euq XV-E d11-0
Description : This system serves as a navigational distance marker, being the farthest system reached that's close to the zero meridian line, at 15,462 ly-s South of Sol. It can only be reached with the use of FSD boosts, and is otherwise an unremarkable system, containing only two stellar bodies: a red dwarf star and a brown dwarf.
Screenshot Ref. Post : http://i.imgur.com/iWBg8fP.png

As well as a nearby nebula that's not on the map yet:

Name : NGC 1931 Nebula
Game map search ref. : NGC 1931 Nebula
Description : A relatively small and lesser-known nebula situated on the edge of the Perseus Arm, some distance farther south than the Monkey Head nebula. It serves as a good waypoint for those looking to cross into the Outer Arm Vacuus, as it's as far south as the Crab Nebula, but it's near the galactic plane.
Screenshot Ref. Post : Screenshot from drkaii's list

Last edited:
Got a interesting nebula to put in Galactic Aphelion/Upper 1st Quadrant region.

Name :Phoenix Nebula
Game map search ref. :DRYOQUAE AA-A H32
Description :A red/orange flame-like nebula resembling a rising Phoenix. At over 41,000 LYs from Sol, this nebula is the most 'Northern' nebula to be found close to the 'Zero' Meridian. A last beacon of light before Commanders head out into the Bleaklands and beyond. (Note, this nebula is below the galactic plane at -1,200 and stars are sparse inside the nebula)
Screenshot Ref. Post :(#641)

After heading directly south from Beagle Point, crossing the Abyss and the top two galactic arms, I am greeted by the first (or last) procedural nebula in the region. It makes a nice marker to aim for heading from Beagle Point and aiming to the West of the core.

Beyond there is a cluster of nebulae could map them as a new POI too (like the "festival grounds" cluster), the next purple one (BLEETHUE) sounds alot like "Beetle" but will get to that in a few days as I am still approaching "Phoenix Nebula"

Screenshot:

zD8U0K7.png

Last edited:
Got to the next nebula. There is a whole cluster of nebulae here in a sort of 5k ly radius at the stem of the Perseus arm, so many I have run out of names. Not sure if they should be a named region (maybe something like the "Dreamlands?") here are the most obvious nebula at the edge of the area (seen from 'Phoenix Nebula', 6 are very visible) but many more towards the core....
If others have better names for the nebulae or region feel free to suggest them.

1. Dryiquae AA-A H34 - Phoenix Nebula (fire red)
2. BLEETHUE AA-A H36 - Beetle Nebula (purple)
3. PHROEA GREE AA-A H34 - Starfish nebula (fire red)
4. VEGNUE WK-E D12-329 - Mushroom Nebula (purple)
5. SCHEAU BYOE KM-L B25-64 (green.orange)
6. TEQO EB-V C16-9 (fire red)
7. PHOI BRE KY-E B42 (orange green)

Here is a nice screenshot from inside the 'Beetle Nebula' showing the 'Starfish and Mushroom Nebulae', wow this is a nice area.

8Siv0q9.png

Plus some other views of the 'Beetle Nebula':

2s34gO4.png

1xFqGqu.png
And one more shot from the 'Phoenix Nebula':

yEbsji5.png

This region has been a welcome change from the darkness of the Abyss and Bleaklands!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom