The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Some really nice visual points of interest there Traveler :)

I'll update the maps in the next couple of days. Think of some appropriate names for the ones you listed.

So far, Blood Nebula, Emerald Look, and an unnamed string cluster. The blue ejecta nebula seem to be a lot more common than I thought, I think we already have two or three listed, so they may just warrant the procedural sector name, along the lines of the Eorm Stellar Remant for example (if that's what they are?)

Last edited:
OK, will do.
I'll edit my post above when I come up with some names. The sector name for blue ones is good idea, I've also thought they are rarer :)
Who knows what else we'll find out there!? ;)

Happy hunting my brothers!

I don't know if this would qualify, but I came across this supermassive giant. To give you a sense of scale, here is a couple of stars close to Sol-sized at roughly Earth range orbit (500ls)

View attachment 17606

Here is a more typical normal blue-white star giant at the same distance by comparison

View attachment 17607

And here's the star I just came across.

View attachment 17608

Note that I am fuel scooping - at Earth orbit distance!

Here's where it's located:

View attachment 17609

But its star data might be buggy, because here's what my detailed scan info came up with:

View attachment 17610

0 Million Years old? And the readout doesn't even suggest it's a supermasive star? I'll report this, and if it turns out there's some kind of error and it gets nerfed maybe I could name it "Mossfoot's Folly" ;)

Mossfoot: (The Mossfoot of Hackmaster fame, by chance?)

The star's readout lists it as with a radius 148 times the Sun, which indicates it is pretty huge. Otherwise, good find!

Last edited:
Mossfoot: (The Mossfoot of Hackmaster fame, by chance?)

It is indeed :) That's the second person to recognize me from elsewhere (the first was a guy who loved my X3-based fiction on the Egosoft forums)

The star's readout lists it as with a radius 148 times the Sun, which indicates it is pretty huge.

Oh I'm sure, but you'd think the descriptive text would reflect that. And the fact it registers as 0 million years old makes me wonder if something is wrong.

That's a biggun' !

Is it one of the largest supergiants of its type? I can't recall seeing anything larger except VY Canis Majoris. It could go in as a numbered map reference under the statistical POI type. Can't call it Mossfoots Folly though :p No CMDR names allowed in naming stuff (it avoids controversy or clashes with the official ingame tagging feature other players have claimed). You've probably already got your CMDR name tagged on it anyway, so can you think of something else? :)

Edit. I'm using a tablet at the moment so cant see its stats clearly. Is it actually that size or are the stats of it incorrect and bugged? For individual stars to be added it would have to be something pretty rare, or visually interesting. Don't really want to add something if its bugged though :/

Last edited:
That's a biggun' !

Is it one of the largest supergiants of its type? I can't recall seeing anything larger except VY Canis Majoris. It could go in as a numbered map reference under the statistical POI type. Can't call it Mossfoots Folly though :p No CMDR names allowed in naming stuff (it avoids controversy or clashes with the official ingame tagging feature other players have claimed). You've probably already got your CMDR name tagged on it anyway, so can you think of something else? :)

No, I get that, I meant Mossfoot's Folly if the bug report ends up with it being turned into a Red Dwarf or something later on ;) (Hey guys, I found this great star on my scanners... oh, wait, it's just grit.)

Edit. I'm using a tablet at the moment so cant see its stats clearly. Is it actually that size or are the stats of it incorrect and bugged? For individual stars to be added it would have to be something pretty rare, or visually interesting. Don't really want to add something if its bugged though :/

I believe it is actually that size - BUT due to the bugged age (0 million years) and flavor text (no mention of it being a giant at all), it makes me wonder what's wrong. As I said, for all I know this could get nerfed.

As for it being the biggest, I have no idea. I know about VY Canis Majoris of course, but it's unusually big for a blue giant as far as I know.

That said it's gotta be some kind of contender. The data say it's 148 solar radius. Compare that to this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_known_stars

It is RIGHT up there.

The blue ejecta nebula seem to be a lot more common than I thought, I think we already have two or three listed, so they may just warrant the procedural sector name, along the lines of the Eorm Stellar Remant for example (if that's what they are?)

I have another of those for you, if you're interested. The Gru Hypai Stellar Remnant is a black hole surrounded by a bright double-globular nebula (Gru Hypai DL-X E1-20), below the galactic plane in the Norma Arm Expanse.

gruhypai.jpg

No, I get that, I meant Mossfoot's Folly if the bug report ends up with it being turned into a Red Dwarf or something later on ;) (Hey guys, I found this great star on my scanners... oh, wait, it's just grit.)

I believe it is actually that size - BUT due to the bugged age (0 million years) and flavor text (no mention of it being a giant at all), it makes me wonder what's wrong. As I said, for all I know this could get nerfed.

As for it being the biggest, I have no idea. I know about VY Canis Majoris of course, but it's unusually big for a blue giant as far as I know.

That said it's gotta be some kind of contender. The data say it's 148 solar radius. Compare that to this list:

It is RIGHT up there.
I've seen a lot of O type stars with an age of 0 million years, I think they may be mostly/all bugged like this.

[...]
But its star data might be buggy, because here's what my detailed scan info came up with:

View attachment 17610

0 Million Years old? And the readout doesn't even suggest it's a supermasive star? I'll report this, and if it turns out there's some kind of error and it gets nerfed maybe I could name it "Mossfoot's Folly" ;)

It's buggy. I came across this (bit smaller but also 0M years)

YbbbxLf.jpg

Viev from 750Ls

Dz6qEEH.jpg

However scooping at 18,4c is fun :)

xiZ5zV9.jpg

But Erimus, plase don't include this one in maps (it's too small, doesn't qualify i think)

It is RIGHT up there.

OK, that's cool. Its definitely worth an entry as a statistical POI. Now you need to name it :)

Will update maps tomorrow.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I have another of those for you, if you're interested. The Gru Hypai Stellar Remnant is a black hole surrounded by a bright double-globular nebula (Gru Hypai DL-X E1-20), below the galactic plane in the Norma Arm Expanse.

View attachment 17618

Excellent, thanks. Even though they're not ultra rare, I think they're always going to be added to the maps as they are really nice visual POIs. Blue seems to be the most common but I've seen red ones and I think we have a green one to add to.

Will add it tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

It is RIGHT up there.

Has anyone been to V838 Monocerotis? In case you wondered what it looks like, it's my avatar :) I just saw it on that list at 380 Solar Radii, I had no idea it was that big. I found it in game and visited it a while ago, but I died on the way back and so although I can see the system map I have no information on it. It is 22 Delta Monocerotis in the game.

It looks in my avatar almost like a dragon clutching an egg, so if we're naming massive stars I'll come up with something suitable... :)

Actually I would now be very interested if anyone else has actually been there as I have a screenshot of the main star that was taken from 12.9Ls away and it is tiny compared to the one you found.

D4B0qUKh.jpg

Last edited:
That's a biggun' !

Hi Erimus

I'm happy to contribute but how? We just respond to this thread?

Speaking of which while seeing the biggun up here I want to share one A class super-giant star that is twice the Solar radius of that one mossfoot posted: 378 solar radius!
I popped in at 600+ ly and started scooping!

Screenshot_0141.jpg

Excellent, thanks. Even though they're not ultra rare, I think they're always going to be added to the maps as they are really nice visual POIs. Blue seems to be the most common but I've seen red ones and I think we have a green one to add to.

Will add it tomorrow :)
Cool, thanks :)

This one was particularly significant for me personally because I found it just as I was starting to get burned out on the long haul back to inhabited space. It reminded me why I came out into the dark in the first place.

Hi Erimus

I'm happy to contribute but how? We just respond to this thread?

Speaking of which while seeing the biggun up here I want to share one A class super-giant star that is twice the Solar radius of that one mossfoot posted: 378 solar radius!
I popped in at 600+ ly and started scooping!

View attachment 17674

Nice find!

I'll add it with the next update as another numbered reference point on the map. You need to come up with an appropriate name.

I think these two goiath stars can act as the minimum standard for future entries now. Hopefully they aren't too common :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Cool, thanks :)

This one was particularly significant for me personally because I found it just as I was starting to get burned out on the long haul back to inhabited space. It reminded me why I came out into the dark in the first place.

LOL I know the feeling. Just when I get burned out I glimpse something interesting off in the distance outside the canopy window that renews the urge to carry on.

Last edited:
Maps updated.

I've had to remove the individual screenshots associated to each entry in post #1 as apparently a single post cannot have more than 36 images on it. So instead I've added a reference for each entry stating in which thread post (or youtube video) the images & videos associated with them can be found.

FAO : Traveler
The following entries are very close together on the map, too close for me to label separately, so they all come under the map reference point #11 (on the Galactic Core Map-11).
MYRIESLY MS-T E3-3831 Nebula --> Myriesly Northern Lazur Stellar Remnant
MYRIESLY YE-R E4-3646 Nebula --> Myriesly Drop Of Blood Nebula
MYRIESLY WJ-R E4-5254 Nebula --> Myriesly Blink Of An Eye Stellar Remnant
MYRIESLY CL-P E5-4186 Nebula --> Myriesly Emerald Look Stellar Remnant
MYRIESLY HR-N E6-4354 Nebula --> MYRIESLY HR-N E6-4354 Nebula (reference to "Amethyst Cloud" in description)

J02321675+6133149 --> Persean 2MASS Bright Cluster
I checked this entry on real star maps and the cluster already has a real life name, its called the IC 1805 Open Cluster, so I've added it to the map under that name (real life names override community submitted names).

OK, that's cool. Its definitely worth an entry as a statistical POI. Now you need to name it :)

So as a POI, maybe it could be named Neuth (Nut) Egyptian goddess of the nighttime sky. Assuming that's not taken already? Or perhaps Nept, which is Terry Pratchett's version in his Discworld books? ;)

Also, I seem to be closing in on some kind of cluster on my travels. See, I'm heading back casually in time for 1.2's release but en route I wanted to check out the Statue of Liberty Nebula (near the right cockpit beam) to see if anyone's been there. It's so tiny compared to others (and in a very non-nebula rich area between two arms) that it might have been missed... and I like the idea of a Canadian planting a flag all over the place there ;) )

View attachment 17918

But notice on the left the number of bright stars. I can't seem to pin down their location on the galactic map yet. Figured out roughly their direction, tried zooming out, but so far no luck.

So as a POI, maybe it could be named Neuth (Nut) Egyptian goddess of the nighttime sky. Assuming that's not taken already? Or perhaps Nept, which is Terry Pratchett's version in his Discworld books? ;)

Also, I seem to be closing in on some kind of cluster on my travels. See, I'm heading back casually in time for 1.2's release but en route I wanted to check out the Statue of Liberty Nebula (near the right cockpit beam) to see if anyone's been there. It's so tiny compared to others (and in a very non-nebula rich area between two arms) that it might have been missed... and I like the idea of a Canadian planting a flag all over the place there ;) )

But notice on the left the number of bright stars. I can't seem to pin down their location on the galactic map yet. Figured out roughly their direction, tried zooming out, but so far no luck.

Added Neuth as index #13.

I think that cluster you're heading to could be the NGC 3293 Open Cluster. I passed through there during Gamma on the way to Eta Carina, but most of the stuff I surveyed on that trip was wiped at xmas due to a corrupted save so if no one else has been there you could tag the lot and claim the bonus payments :D

Let me know if its something different though :)

I'll add NGC 3293 to the map as I have video proof of it being visited during the New Horizons Part 7 video.

Last edited:
Added Neuth as index #13.

I think that cluster you're heading to could be the NGC 3293 Open Cluster. I passed through there during Gamma on the way to Eta Carina, but most of the stuff I surveyed on that trip was wiped at xmas due to a corrupted save so if no one else has been there you could tag the lot and claim the bonus payments :D

Let me know if its something different though :)

I'll add NGC 3293 to the map as I have video proof of it being visited during the New Horizons Part 7 video.

Did you happen by the Statue of Liberty nebula as well? As I said it's very small (even on the galactic map) and I'm wondering if it might have been missed thus far?

Top Bottom