Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It's a mystery why NMS gets so many big and free expansions with tons of new content and features compared to ED. NMS had 25 big free updates (a dozen+ are expansion worthy). Meanwhile ED had around 4 big expansions (post-launch base-game updates, Horizons, Beyond updates, Odyssey).
I think our personal views of what constitutes "an update" may make that statement quite subjective I am afraid.

In the case of Elite there has been 19 updates both free and paid, until release of Odyssey. Most of them with significant content and/or gameplay additions. And 17 updates more have followed Odyssey itself so far; granted, many of these so to improve performance and features from a poor release, but also some including significant content and gameplay. And there are at least 3 more significant content updates on the way just in 2024 alone.

So 🤷‍♂️

Having said that, I like both games, imo both games are worth entries to the library of any dedicated space sim fan indeed. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and have spent many hours in both (although slightly more in Elite in my case 😋 ).

Last edited:
Moving content to exp from main save is not free, it will cost nanites to use the shortcut in the Exp to bring content from main save...

The spear is quite quick to earn, but it's only class A multi tool.

1708124871644.png

I think our personal views of what constitutes "an update" may make that statement quite subjective I am afraid.

In the case of Elite there has been 19 updates both free and paid, until release of Odyssey. Most of them with significant content and/or gameplay additions. And 17 updates more have followed Odyssey itself so far; granted, many of these so to improve performance and features from a poor release, but also some including significant content and gameplay. And there are at least 3 more significant content updates on the way just in 2024 alone.

If you count each update then ED has more in total. However, Hello Games' updates for NMS are akin to expansions, because each one adds substantial new content, improvements and fixes. Also the price of $0 (free) is very appealing. Hello Games only sells 1 version of the game on Steam which includes everything. In terms of planet types, biomes, flora, fauna, base building and story driven questlines, accessibility, terrain deformation NMS blows ED out of the water. ED's progress is modest by comparison. The graphics quality of NMS is better than ED while the latter still cannot do proper anti-aliasing. Some people may dislike the cartoony style though. There are currently 13,392 players In-Game on Steam (NMS) vs 2,808 In-Game for ED. Thus NMS is more successful commercially and the user reviews are significantly higher (92% positive on Steam atm). Hello Games is a smaller developer, yet NMS has now surpassed ED in commercial success and acclaim. Their next game Light no Fire will undoubtedly be a blockbuster hit.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
If you count each update then ED has more in total. However, Hello Games' updates for NMS are akin to expansions, because each one adds substantial new content, improvements and fixes...
Well, I am afraid that still has a ton of very personal and arguable views of the matter. With regards to update numbers it could also be said that a significantly large portion of the NMS updates were simply reskins of the same content (basically more biomes, lifeforms and more vehicles, i.e. more of the same) and a large bunch were also just aiming for new platforms or UIs or included overhauls of existing stuff. It was done by a handful of devs and, despite its success, it shows. Having said that NMs also brought in actual new mechanics such as bases, settlements, freighters, pets, squadrons etc but Elite has brought in radically new and different elements to its base engine code with planetary surfaces and first person mechanics following vanilla release, plus all the content added to those. I suspect Elite is a much more complex beast to code in most respects than NMS.

The rest of your post seems to just essentially stem from personal preferences for the most part. Anyone could equally show tons of examples where Elite may be better and more detailed than NMS in their views. In my case, while I have enjoyed NMS VR in first person a lot for example (sorely missed in Elite), I still thing Elite has many areas with much more depth and content than NMS, including the immersion I get in a fully realized 1:1 scale of planetary bodies, proper rotation and orbits aswell, modelled from basic astrophysics principles, thousands of which come from actual real astronomic catalogues and integrated into the game. Also the flight model and ship management systems in Elite, space combat, mining, repairing, refueling, pirating etc etc etc blow out of the water those in NMS, imho, and I take much more pleasure in flying and progressing my ships in the former than in the latter. Which is good in a space game...The lore of Elite and how it actually intertwines in the gameplay blows NMS lore out of the water as well (again, imo). Elite allows for actual faction territorial warfare, influencing npc factions and the galaxy at large be it in pve or pvp, and you can battle it out and progress your faction and all around it through a BGS that NMS does not really have to any reasonable degree. Space exploration in Elite feels also like actual exploration with all the phenomena available unlike the one in NMS which for me at least feels like mostly survival mechanics driven. Etc. Etc. Etc

As a TLDR, I enjoy both games, and I can appreciate that each has its clear strengths and also weaknesses. But both are competing peers and both always appear in the usual top "10 space game" rankings we can find out there. Both deservedly so. Trying to officialize one as better than the other is pretty much a useless exercise at worst, given the great recognition both already have after 10 years, or a personal preference at best.

Last edited:
Well, I am afraid that still has a ton of very personal and arguable views of the matter. With regards to update numbers it could also be said that a significantly large portion of the NMS updates were simply reskins of the same content (basically more biomes, lifeforms and more vehicles, i.e. more of the same) and a large bunch were also just aiming for new platforms or UIs or included overhauls of existing stuff.

That's better than Odyssey which offers barebones planets to "explore" (with occasional flora).

It was done by a handful of devs and, despite its success, it shows. Having said that NMs also brought in actual new mechanics such as bases, settlements, freighters, pets, squadrons etc but Elite has brought in radically new and different elements to its base engine code with planetary surfaces and first person mechanics following vanilla release, plus all the content added to those. I suspect Elite is a much more complex beast to code in most respects than NMS.

Hello Games had 37 people in 2020. Reskins of existing stuff makes sense, because they had to carefully select content and features to improve and expand. Their commercial and critical success shows they picked things that appeals to a larger audience than ED has currently. A low employee count + more sales also means their revenue and profit margin is higher.

Anyone could equally show tons of examples where Elite may be better and more detailed than NMS in their views. In my case, while I have enjoyed NMS VR in first person a lot for example (sorely missed in Elite),

ED has a more realistic aesthetic, but the graphical fidelity is not better. 10 years post-launch, ED doesn't have decent anti-aliasing, DLSS nor customization of the orange colored HUD (except via a fan-made mod).

I still thing Elite has many areas with much more depth and content than NMS, including the immersion I get in a fully realized 1:1 scale of planetary bodies, proper rotation and orbits aswell, modelled from basic astrophysics principles, thousands of which come from actual real astronomic catalogues and integrated into the game. Also the flight model and ship management systems in Elite, space combat, mining, repairing, refueling, pirating etc etc etc blow out of the water those in NMS, imho, and I take much more pleasure in flying and progressing my ships in the former than in the latter.

Agreed, Elite excels at those features, yet the overall gameplay experience is arguably worse. ED is more grindy with a (very) steep learning curve, long dull space travel (would be nice to walk inside the ship with a customized interior while waiting 30 min to reach a destination). The graphical fidelity is arguably worse than NMS too. This is subjective to some degree, but the hard truth is NMS surpasses ED in terms of average user score and sales. NMS had a disastrous launch, yet Hello Games made gameplay design and development choices that resulted in higher player satisfaction with a 2-4x larger active player base (ED steam charts: Last 30 Days: 2,782.6, peak: 5,240. No Man's Sky steam charts: Last 30 Days 5,243.1, peak: 23,127).

Which is good in a space game...The lore of Elite and how it actually intertwines in the gameplay blows NMS lore out of the water as well (again, imo). Elite allows for actual faction territorial warfare, influencing npc factions and the galaxy at large be it in pve or pvp, and you can battle it out and progress your faction and all around it through a BGS that NMS does not really have to any reasonable degree. Space exploration in Elite feels also like actual exploration with all the phenomena available unlike the one in NMS which for me at least feels like mostly survival mechanics driven. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Yes the Powerplay factions and exploration are better (more realistic) in ED. It does leave a lot to be desired (pales compared to Eve Online) hence they're making PP 2.0. The lore of ED is more mature and in-depth. However, NMS has the main Atlas story and expedition system which integrates into the game since Omega. ED doesn't have such long, story driven quest-chains (series of missions). Lots of people would love a main storyline with quest chains for each faction (Federation, Alliance, Empire).

As a TLDR, I enjoy both games, and I can appreciate that each has its clear strengths and also weaknesses. But both are competing peers and both always appear in the usual top "10 space game" rankings we can find out there. Both deservedly so. Trying to officialize one as better than the other is pretty much a useless exercise at worst, given the great recognition both already have after 10 years, or a personal preference at best.

ED is the older and more realistic take on space sims while NMS is arcadey. In terms of commercial and critical success; NMS is doing better based on Steam reviews, sales and Steam chart stats.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
the overall gameplay experience is arguably worse
As I said most of what you discuss fall into personal preference stuff. I would have to disagree there, but that is just me.

ED is the older and more realistic take on space sim while NMS is a more arcadey take.
For sure, that is one of the reasons each one has its strengths, even though they compete they have each its audience aswell.

In terms of commercial and critical success NMS is doing better based on Steam reviews sales and steam chart stats.

The commercial success is primarily due to having been backed by the Sony marketing machinery and by HG designing a game that is more arcady and therefore more accessible. But some other games are also good even when selling less.

With regards to Steam reviews NMS´s "All Reviews" is at 77%, and Elite´s is at 76%, so 🤷‍♂️. Yes, NMS recent is at 90% but overall it had to pay the price for a disastrous launch and many players did not came back after that and havent changed their review because of the upset. That counts. The disastrous start for NMS can be forgiven but not be forgotten. Elite is a bit the other way around with a great start and a poor Odysey launch, although even Odyssey these days has already largely recovered on is Recent Reviews at least:

XCsbKIY.jpg

But that is by the by. Both games are great. And they are both referred to as veteran classics of the space genre already:

Etc etc etc

Well deserved for both NMS and Elite I reckon. Feel free to insist in this most useless exercise of deciding that one of them is best. At this point and after all the goodness both games have given us, it is just a personal preference.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of opinion , ED's many fixes and improvements are classed as updates ? ED has any re-skins( krait Challenger planets bases biologicals etc )
If you've seen one rocky or icy planet you've seen then all .
But the gameplay hasn't really changed since I started playing 8 years ago. But the same can be said about NMS in it's 2 years ?
The 1 to 1 best guess of the galaxy and it's flight mechanics will always be ED's winning hand even after 10 years.
Graphics wise ? Its down to your personal dislikes or likes. You may prefer ED or you may like NMS or even both ?
BGS and PP are in the great ideas but not implemented fully ( that will do) hence the rework.
Also the availability to play the Games one is adding platforms the other only on one ?
Which is best ? I've still got more hours in ED than NMS.

The commercial success is primarily due to having been backed by the Sony marketing machinery and by HG designing a game that is more arcady and therefore more accessible. But some other games are also good even when selling less.

ED launched in a time when there were fewer space games. People backed ED and SC, because they wanted a revival of the genre. NMS launched almost 2 years after ED (August 2016). NMS had a disastrous launch. So NMS was more disadvantaged than ED.

The critical and commercial success of NMS was primarily due to the game design choices of Hello Games to improve NMS. For example: easier to play with less dull grind, less steep learning curve, more fun activities, faster space travel between planets, prettier (though cartoony) graphics, NMS also has terrain deformation (can make tunnels), base building, lush planets with lots of variety in alien flora and fauna, chain quests and an exploration mode which guides players. All updates (expansions) have been free till now and there is only 1 version of NMS.

ED had a headstart, yet squandered its lead with multiple worse game design choices. The Odyssey expansion launched prematurely, was buggy with poor performance. The FPS gameplay wasn't up to par with the gaming industry standard (worse than Starfield and SC). Fdev rushed it unfortunately. That is why the user reviews are much lower.

Last edited:
I picked up NMS for the Switch in a recent Nintendo sale and thought the new update would be an ideal time to jump into the game again - I’ve not played the PC version since about the derelict megaship update - and it’s been cool to see how much the game has improved. Two things that stood out for me today:
  • Major thing - customisable difficulty settings; there’s a good list of stuff to make the game easier/harder and I’ve been able to tone down the stuff that turned me off the game last time, namely resource collection 😅 Now I can spend more time doing the things I like instead of zapping trees and rocks!
  • Minor thing - more life to the game ie. other ships mining asteroids, NPCs wandering around stations etc.
I think NMS could easily be seen as a spiritual sequel to original flavour Elite (with a bit of FE2/FFE and a Roger Dean portfolio mashed into it 😁) - once I’ve finished the current expedition I’m going to concentrate on space based trading/combat/mining and see how I get on.

I got a Dreadnaught on the omega expedition looks cool but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of getting an s class and rebuild my normal freighter . I do like the new helmet and the star born ship looks better now just need to colour it ....

Top Bottom