Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Another big free update (7.5 GB) for NMS called Orbital has been released.
  1. Total overhaul of space station visuals
  2. Vast amounts of interior and exterior station variation
  3. Salvage parts to create and recolour your own custom starship
  4. Improvements to the guild, standing and trading systems
Meanwhile, we're still waiting for major ED updates and Earth-like worlds.

Last edited:

The next update was sooner than I expected!
End of the trailer: “Our journey continues…” with the written caption “More will follow” so I wouldn’t be writing it off just yet 😁

I don't want to think I speak for anyone except myself, so does anyone else think that Hello Games are making Frontier and CIG look bad? Don't misunderstand me here, I don't mean Hello Games are doing anything to make anyone look bad, what I mean is, Frontier and CIG are not doing as much as they could be doing when compared to Hello Games ... in my opinion.

I don't want to think I speak for anyone except myself, so does anyone else think that Hello Games are making Frontier and CIG look bad? Don't misunderstand me here, I don't mean Hello Games are doing anything to make anyone look bad, what I mean is, Frontier and CIG are not doing as much as they could be doing when compared to Hello Games ... in my opinion.

They are certainly doing releases quick and fast, however, most of the releases are of a different category than the one ED did with Odyssey. What I mean by that is, when FDEV released atmospheric planets it was a far more difficult and complex update than most of NMS updates, because most of the NMS updates are leveraging tech and mechanics that are already existing in game whereas the Odyssey expansion for ED had to introduce basically an entirely new range of game features, walking, atmospheric effects (ok minor ones like diffraction and light winds etc), an entirely new class of hand held weapons that never existed in the code base previously, space suits and various mechanics that wrk with those.

I think NMS also works with a much simpler physics system, I mean we have variable jump heights for different gravity etc, friction on SRV's changes between gravity and surface type, ED is far more heavily invested in the physics side of the game, but I think NMS's main advantage over both ED and SC is that they started off with a far more robust and feature rich code base that gave them an advantage in introducing updates to the players. If FDEV had tried that with ED it may have meant another couple of years before full release as a working game.

So NMS was designed from the beginning with the idea of doing more frequent updates, and it really is doing it remarkably well, but I wouldn't play NMS myself because of the more sim like features of ED, the galaxy sim, proper orbital mechanics, stuff like that which NMS doesn't even pretend to do. NMS is more adventure game than Space Sim, and it does a remarkably good job at that, but I want a space sim to fly around in and ED is probably as good as you can get at the moment even with all its faults.

Built 2 ships only so far, As the cores could be expensive with out discounts.
lWLOezj.jpeg
Jd7a7PA.jpeg

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpobOQvV_Rs

3 years ago ED had made £100million in total revenue(not profit).

In 2022 Hello Games were making over £40million profit in 1 year.

🤷‍♂️

I respect NMS for what they have developed, I respected the original bare-boned 70's style scifi aesthetic and probably prefer it in some degree to the new sparkly everything game it's become.

But I don't enjoy it. Different strokes.

No Man's Sky: Orbital....
I spent a whole 10 minutes in NMS last night, the longest I've spent in the game for literally years!

The great thing about NMS & SC is that a brief visit to the game is sufficient for a long time!

Yes, they have poured out updates aplenty (perhaps FD should pour out cartoon stuff instead of sensible? Just to please the few who continually compare chalk & cheese) well done them!

Yes, they have poured out updates aplenty (perhaps FD should pour out cartoon stuff instead of sensible? Just to please the few who continually compare chalk & cheese) well done them!
What irks me isn't that Frontier aren't putting out cartoon stuff, but that they do so little for Elite Dangerous. They could do more and could do better, yet constantly give off an appearance of "can't be arsed". I'm not saying they are like that, but that that's how it seems (to me, if no-one else).

What irks me isn't that Frontier aren't putting out cartoon stuff, but that they do so little for Elite Dangerous. They could do more and could do better, yet constantly give off an appearance of "can't be arsed". I'm not saying they are like that, but that that's how it seems (to me, if no-one else).
As it costs nothing to develop game features, we should be buried under a constant stream of excellent and complex content, shouldn't we?

I think it comes down to incentive and passion. The founders of Elite have long moved away from hands-on development. Most ED devs now have regular salaries and probably treat their jobs as regular 9-5. The founders of Hello Games were, and probably still are, passionate NMS developers, sharing that £40 million pa profit mentioned above.

As it costs nothing to develop game features, we should be buried under a constant stream of excellent and complex content, shouldn't we?
And yet, this is the (seemingly unlikely) place that HG inhabits, which possibly indicates that continual free updates continues to pull in new custom, sufficient to fund the next update.

I suspect that as a small development house, their overheads are way below those of a large combine like FDev, which allows profits from a very well selling product like NMS to go further.

The other nack that HG seems to have is making their games fun to play. I get the feeling that they are all passionate gamers who are passionate about their game. With other companies the highly professional output feels more like a job done well, in order to provide a return.

And yet, this is the (seemingly unlikely) place that HG inhabits, which possibly indicates that continual free updates continues to pull in new custom, sufficient to fund the next update.
A not publicly traded business, with a very profitable product (we'll see how the next game turns out when it releases) and, apparently, designed to be continually expandable. A perfect situation, isn't it?

FD have not elected to throw any significant development at ED, possibly because of the abysmal launch of EDO (which was abysmal) and not, allegedly, making development cost on the expansion, let alone profit to pay for the next.

The other nack that HG seems to have is making their games fun to play.
Indeed, they do appeal to a different audience than ED, simplicity is normally favoured against more intricate gameplay.

ETA: but, it must be said that HG have a working business model, that has kept them profitable so far. This cannot be said for the bigger studios in general.

Last edited:
Indeed, they do appeal to a different audience than ED, simplicity is normally favoured against more intricate gameplay.
100%.

However. Very early days, some talented modders showed FDev how to implement SRV racing circuits, with scoreboards, timeing gates et al. They were told to desist, and this fun idea has never seen the light of day again. Why?

Top Bottom