The ONE reason I don't enjoy exploration... :(

There's really only one thing that prevents me from being a major explorer around the stars in Elite..

- The hyper-jump animation is so disgusting and ugly.

It looks like enveloping space and its stars is something monstrous, sticky and satanic.
You are hurled forward into parts of intestines and green moldy slime.

H.P. Lovecraft couldn't have thought up a more hideous version of "hyper space" - which I picture to be clean, transparent and filled with the light of the stars, rather than dark and patchy.

Couple that with the sounds in the Zorgon Hauler, and you feel a game remake of Event Horizon coming on.
Its Opressive

I intensely dislike staring at it for 60 seconds each time and
it could be so much nicer if FDev expended some of their QOL efforts planned for this year on a better animation...
...for what takes up so much of our time in the game.

Imagine it more clear, with just stars and beautiful, with white glitter flying by.

CCP managed a great looking warp animation on their 15 Year old EVE Online engine...
Yes, any repeating animations get old eventually, but its nice if they're not in your face gross and unpleasant.

Last edited:

Maybe that's part of your issue right there. Jumps take like 10 seconds for me, maybe 45 from jump to jump if you count fuel scooping, honking, and checking out the system map.

Basically, the jump is just long enough to have a drink of something or a bite of a snack. [up]

Personally, I'm not all that hot on the graphics of it, but I don't mind it either.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3

Philip Coutts

Volunteer Moderator
I've always liked hyperspace, it's exactly as I imagined it would be. That said I don't pay a huge amount of attention whilst it's happening!

• Like (+1)
I don't mind the hyperjump screen at all, the only thing that keeps me from making another exploration trip is the beige planets and that's gonna be fixed in 3.0.
I realy can't wait to go on another trip again.

• Like (+1)
You are speeding up to a position where your atomic parts are just holding together.. moving in a few seconds what should take years. That said, I usually stretch the legs, drink some coffee or check trade prices or something.

Its called "Witch Space" for a reason. Its supposed to be foreboding, alien, dark and horrible.

Our current FSD technology was effectively stolen/reverse engineered from the Thargoids in the 3270's - before that we had the more primitive version that the capital ships use, which is even more terrifying as it takes longer and is easy to go "off beacon" and get lost.

No, some parts of this game are about the horror aspect of deep space, exploring beyond our limits and hoping we come back alive.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Frame_Shift_Drive

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace

Last edited:
Maybe that's part of your issue right there. Jumps take like 10 seconds for me, maybe 45 from jump to jump if you count fuel scooping, honking, and checking out the system map.

Basically, the jump is just long enough to have a drink of something or a bite of a snack. [up]

Personally, I'm not all that hot on the graphics of it, but I don't mind it either.

If a jump is taking 60 seconds, the game may be having a problem establishing a connection with the instance server (or whatever the ED devs call it). Networking issue?

There's really only one thing that prevents me from being a major explorer around the stars in Elite..

Really?
I like it.

intensely dislike staring at it for 60 seconds each time

Really? 60 seconds?
Are you exaggerating, or is this perhaps a hardware problem?

My jumps never take that long.
In the past there have been technical problems and sometimes it took very long to jump, or you even got stuck.
At the moment it is quick and smooth.

I have never done real deep space exploration for other, more fundamental reasons
:

one:
a. I would like there to be a much more interesting star system and planetary scan mechanic. This is very important to me and I hope this is one of the mechanisms FDev is going to modify in "Beyond". I have posted proposals for this. The current honking is boring. I proposed an interesting system with ship launched system exploration drones.
b. Another thing that is necessary is a much cooler presentation of the information when scanning systems.
c. I also think the Orrery map is an absolutely mandatory requirement to make exploring more interesting. Sadly FDev does not seem to realize this.
d. We also need to be able to take samples: soil, flora, fauna, ice, fluids etc. etc.

two:
I want to be able to do more, discover more, see more. For example I want to be able to access the upper atmospheres of gas giants, or atmospheric planets, see alien life, flora and fauna, or something indescribable. I also would like there to be extraordinary, huge alien artifacts in space, or deserted cities on planets.

three:
I would also like to be able to have a science module on board and hire a scientist to analyze the data and samples and then go back to a science station and sell these data.
In general having visible crew on board during lengthy deep space exploration would be awesome.

Last edited:

It looks like enveloping space and its stars is something monstrous, sticky and satanic.

H.P. Lovecraft couldn't have thought up a more hideous version of "hyper space" - which I picture to be clean, transparent and filled with the light of the stars, rather than dark and patchy.

You just listed all the reasons i love it. HUGE lovecraft fan BTW :)
Come to think of it, i think the game needs more tentacles.

Couple that with the sounds in the Zorgon Hauler, and you feel a game remake of Event Horizon coming on.
Its Opressive

it could be so much nicer if FDev expended some of their QOL efforts planned for this year on a better animation...
...for what takes up so much of our time in the game.

Imagine it more clear, with just stars and beautiful, with white glitter flying by.

CCP managed a great looking warp animation on their 15 Year old EVE Online engine...
Yes, any repeating animations get old eventually, but its nice if they're not in your face gross and unpleasant.

The hyperspace animation is the least of explorations failings. :(

Another hyperspace lover here. If the OP is being genuine, and not just contentious for the sake of it, then I can only offer sympathies. I can only imagine how disappointing it would be if a core part of my gaming experience was something that viscerally upset me every time I saw it. Long-distance exploration would be an almost literal nightmare.

Hyperspace is kinda creepy, but it's supposed to be. And in that respect I think FD have nailed it. Not sure what advice I can offer to the OP because I don't think FD are likely to make changes as radical as those he's suggesting. Maybe a "mute sound / blank canopy" option for hyperspace jumps? It's genuinely never occurred to me before reading this thread that someone could find hyperspace anything other than atmospheric.

(edit: or boring, of course. Plenty of evidence that some folk find it boring, before someone points that out).

Last edited:

What'd you expect Nebula to look like?

Yes space is not empty. A lot of those pretty colors are the hundreds of thousands of gas clouds, nebula, and exploding stars.

If gas clouds and other pretty phenomena puts you off exploring then you just need to park yourself on a planet and stare straight up if you want a 'clean' view of the black and stars.

I for one am very enchanted by the pretty rainbow of life an death as I fling myself to my next destination. It awes me and reminds me of the power the stars and cosmos had over early humans.

I still feel that.

Top Bottom