The ONE reason I don't enjoy exploration... :(

As a Lovecraft fan, I rather like the look of it. I'd rather they add some more mind-bending, reality-questioning effects to it. We are, after all, bending spacetime itself.

I'm a Lovecraft fan too, but for his intelligence and the things he shows about the human mind, not the gore.

Sounds like Frontier did a really good job with the jump animation then. Hyperspace is supposed to scare the crap out of you. It is, after all, called Witchspace, not Sparkling Rainbows and Unicorns Space.

Err not really :p
Low vibration concept...

If you've ever seen higher dimensional geometry or heard the music of the spheres, you know travelling through the next higher dimension will look way better, not worse than our 3 dimensions.

Regardless if you think string theory will one day be proven or disproven, quantum particle math simply can't do without extra dimensions in one way or another. While math alone is not proof, when math using extra dimensions allows you to predict particle behavior you could not otherwise predict, its hard to deny they're on to something.

I'd recommend to any scoffer who thinks a higher dimension should look like the inside of a sewer pipe, to watch any Youtube video on "flatlanders".

scary or not, I simply dislike "ugly".
I wouldn't hang 98% of H.R. Giger's art in my house either. Even though that has way more style than the hyper-jump vomit here....

"Witch space" is an apt term for that.

And fits with various other creepy satanist elements to be found in the game.

Personally I don't want to play a game with satanist leanings and this game was never advertised as such.
At least Aleister Crowley and the likes put it on the cover of their books that they're into evil.

The description of "witch space" has come from players. As far as I am aware, it has never come from FD.

Personally, I just see it as a transition with the target star at the end (now visible since 2. something) and other systems flashing by, with a bit of extra white snow to raise the brightness of the overall image.

The description of "witch space" has come from players. As far as I am aware, it has never come from FD.

Personally, I just see it as a transition with the target star at the end (now visible since 2. something) and other systems flashing by, with a bit of extra white snow to raise the brightness of the overall image.

The term Witch-Space originates from The Dark Wheel novella provided with the original Elite.

Regarding the OP, I like the animation although I agree with those who would like the passing stars to be generated from the nearby systems that you actually pass.

I do think that this will eventually happen though, it's a logical next step after the destination star colour was added in 2.4 (or whenever).

I actually like the repetitive audio as well - it's been really useful when rushing back and forward to the kitchen making a brew / snacks in the middle of Buckyball runs to Sagittarius A*. Not a second wasted!

Last edited:
OP never criticise anything in Elite... like ever.... you should know better than to stir the ghosts of the Elite Forums....

Last edited:
Another hyperspace lover here. If the OP is being genuine, and not just contentious for the sake of it, then I can only offer sympathies. I can only imagine how disappointing it would be if a core part of my gaming experience was something that viscerally upset me every time I saw it. Long-distance exploration would be an almost literal nightmare.

Hyperspace is kinda creepy, but it's supposed to be. And in that respect I think FD have nailed it. Not sure what advice I can offer to the OP because I don't think FD are likely to make changes as radical as those he's suggesting. Maybe a "mute sound / blank canopy" option for hyperspace jumps? It's genuinely never occurred to me before reading this thread that someone could find hyperspace anything other than atmospheric.

(edit: or boring, of course. Plenty of evidence that some folk find it boring, before someone points that out).

Oh man, indeed.
It would be great that we have a reboot system animation ultil all the hud ships get black when we jump to witchspace.

Personally I don't want to play a game with satanist leanings and this game was never advertised as such.
At least Aleister Crowley and the likes put it on the cover of their books that they're into evil.

As a satanist i feel ofended about your coment, shame on you.

74718124.jpg.0cc98aac458ccebe7c69eec9f4c8f1c8.jpg

Top Bottom