Good question!

View attachment 374508

I never actually knew that Gamma Velorum was the centre of the Regor Sector, that's cool :)

I have some questions:

1. Do we assume this is the Guardian home system, since it's a famous named star in the middle of the Regor Sector?

If so:

2. How could Guardians evolve in that system? The stars are too young from what I can tell??
Given the apparent connection to asymptotic giant branch stars of both Thargoids and Guardians (and the very real possibility they were fully developed technologically when humans were in caves), the assumption is they probably have had several homes and it rotates. This, though, might be the historical origin point. What you need to understand is this: this particular stellar evolution pathway cycles through main sequence several times before the star dies. Additionally, if these species started out before us it is entirely possible they evolved in a system with a massive star at the core of system - possibly much larger than 8 solar masses (perhaps a population II star). The other option is a very stable mid-mass M to G class which are much more stable. Humanity, had the benefit of a likely 3rd generation star (population I star). Asymptotic giant branch would necessitate moves once star gets hotter, bigger, or enters a period of instability.

(Fortunately for humanity, the Wolf-Rayet Gliese 293 B is fictional - it'd be visible during the day otherwise!)
That star is very, very real. It's LAWD 26 per SIMBAD and in-game (listed GJ 293). In-game the system is called LAWD 26 but the Wolf-rayet is Gliese 293 B. The reason it isn't visible in daylight is most emissions are ultraviolet instead of the visible light spectrum.

From Wikipedia on Wolf-Rayets:
All Wolf–Rayet stars are highly luminous objects due to their high temperatures—thousands of times the bolometric luminosity of the Sun (L☉) for the CSPNe, hundreds of thousands L☉ for the population I WR stars, to over a million L☉ for the WNh stars—although not exceptionally bright visually since most of their radiation output is in the ultraviolet.

The naked-eye stars Gamma Velorum and Theta Muscae, as well as one of the most massive known stars, R136a1 in 30 Doradus, are all Wolf–Rayet stars.

Link to Gliese 293 B in EDSM:

---
Just because you cannot see it, doesn't make it fictional. A gentle reminder...
quote-truth-is-stranger-than-fiction-but-it-is-because-fiction-is-obliged-to-stick-to-possibil...jpg

Last edited:
This is back to the question earlier about Wolf-Rayets - it can't plausibly be the Guardian home system itself: it's a famous named star because it's bright enough to be visible as one of the brighter stars in the Sol sky from over 1000 LY away, which means it's far too large and young.

Thinking about it, if the Guardian homeworld is anywhere near it, they got really "lucky" to be able to evolve, develop technology, spread into space, and finally wipe themselves out before the impending supernova of Gamma Velorum irradiated their biosphere.

(Fortunately for humanity, the Wolf-Rayet Gliese 293 B is fictional - it'd be visible during the day otherwise!)
I've been saying this for years! Why has ED put a Wolf Rayet in LAWD26? It is a huge astronomical anomaly in a game for which DB professed accuracy. If it were true then at only 20 odd ly from Sol it would be visible during the day from Earth (in fact Earth would probably not have a night! Don't forget WR are massive stars & Regor is visible 1000+ly from Sol). Has anyone asked FD why it exists in-game??

The only reason I could come up with is that it points to the Guardian storyline since they did seem to like systems near WR stars, so is it another hint that Guardians visited/inhabited the human bubble in ancient times? (The first hint is the existence of the Alien Artefact excavated on Mars....that could have been left by Thargoids, except goid technology is biologically based and we have found no barnacles in the bubble).

Yep, and extending from the Guardian connection - one theory could be that Guardians knew about humanity in its primordial stages and left the artifact as a final hope that another species might overcome what they couldn't. Maybe Raxxla was an unfinished Guardian project and they hoped humanity could advance far enough to finish the job. Perhaps this could also explain the activity of Thargoids - if they know humans can be a Guardian-level threat courtesy of the Salvation event, then it would make sense why they seem to be preparing for something and ramping up hostility.

Yep, and extending from the Guardian connection - one theory could be that Guardians knew about humanity in its primordial stages and left the artifact as a final hope that another species might overcome what they couldn't. Maybe Raxxla was an unfinished Guardian project and they hoped humanity could advance far enough to finish the job. Perhaps this could also explain the activity of Thargoids - if they know humans can be a Guardian-level threat courtesy of the Salvation event, then it would make sense why they seem to be preparing for something and ramping up hostility.
Mmm
Maybe Raxxla was the Guardian name for humanity??
Ah, solved it!
DB - l claim my (90% cocoa) chocolate Easter Egg and knitted space barnacle beanie prize!!!
1700298637961.png

Last edited:
Seeing as the Mars relic was small enough to fit in a human’s hand then it’s obviously: portable; convenient; easy to hold or compact. This may be intended or by accident (broken pieces).

The relic is by Brookes admission from the Dev diaries a narrative construct. At that point in time objects could not be smaller than a cargo pod.

But what fits into a cargo pod….

Last edited:
I've been saying this for years! Why has ED put a Wolf Rayet in LAWD26? It is a huge astronomical anomaly in a game for which DB professed accuracy.
A lot of the semi-hand-placed systems are a bit weird once you get past the specific hand-placed elements.

There's the suppression cross (not supposed to be a cross) in place which normally stops ultra-high mass stars showing up in visible range of Sol.

I suspect the answer is something along the lines of:
- the suppression cross works by capping the total mass of a system
- obviously, the suppression cross can't be applied to hand-edited systems as it would then destroy Betelgeuse
- whatever procedural system LAWD 26 was overridden to be would have been an ultra-high-mass one
- the primary white dwarf doesn't take up enough of that mass
- so the Stellar Forge goes "what have I got that's really heavy?" and adds a WR secondary to use up the spare mass (but it inherits the ancient system age from the primary WD, of course)

...and as a more general rule, semi-hand-placement is going to edit the primary star mass away from what the Stellar Forge wanted, so lead to odd distributions of objects in the rest of the system. The spare black hole at Maia or the many spare ones in the NGC 7822 cluster, the Helium Gas Giants in the bubble, the highest G no atmosphere planet (by a massive margin) is in a HIP system, etc.

And there's 20,000 inhabited bubble systems plus another few million uninhabited ones within (intended) suppression range of Sol, so
- little chance of a stray WR being discovered unless they specifically think to run "checks for odd secondary objects", which if no-one happened to visit LAWD 26 in testing they might not
- by the time the mistake is discovered by players it's far too late to fix because it'll invalidate the contents of a substantial number of other bubble and near-bubble systems too

Very interesting rationale. I think there's a lot of big questions overlooked by our community.

Why would Guardians be named this way by the writters, what are they guarding?
After exterminating the Guardians, what did their AI do/where did it go?
Why are we "unable" to jump into the Regor Sector/Hen 2-333?

View attachment 374475

This doesn't seem to be a permit lock by the Pilot's Federation but rather a technical limitation:

View attachment 374476View attachment 374478

I think a jump is necessary (thus a FSD) to reach their home systems because my squad has performed experiments trying to reach this sector and although we were able to get into the location, the game mechanics would not load the system itself.
1700161561049.png

Do you need some / all of these (or something else SAP 8, trinkets, etc) to jump to Guardian systems... I agree unable to jump sounds like something is missing or not working....the other two are forbidden?

And could any human/guardian tech like the fsd booster be part of making it work...

Just a thought 🤔

Last edited:
ve been saying this for years! Why has ED put a Wolf Rayet in LAWD26? It is a huge astronomical anomaly in a game for which DB professed accuracy. If it were true then at only 20 odd ly from Sol it would be visible during the day from Earth (in fact Earth would probably not have a night! Don't forget WR are massive stars & Regor is visible 1000+ly from Sol). Has anyone asked FD why it exists in-game??
Because maybe it's a real star. 🤔

We already covered that and why Earth's sky aren't bright as day all the time...

Last edited:
Oisir-Raxxla Task Ship Misbuild_optimized_optimized.jpg

This is back to the question earlier about Wolf-Rayets - it can't plausibly be the Guardian home system itself: ... it's far too large and young.
Agreed, besides anything else Gamma Velorum (and all the stars in that system) is far, far too young to have evolved the Guardians.

The lore seems to suggest they evolved on a (relatively) low G ELW orbiting a bright (hot) star - but the homeworld is/was in 'our' goldilocks zone since they're basically human in terms of biological needs. At some point there was a 'cosmic event', a 'dimming of the sun', that reduced global temperatures and forced a massive change in Guardian society (building permanent dwellings to shelter from the cold, which led to agriculture, etc.). Its unclear if that event was permanent, but it must have lasted long enough to cause the Guardians to sustain this cultural change for it to become 'the normal'

Extracts from the Guardian data records relating to the Guardian Homeworld:

Biology 3: ... Their faces were proportionally smaller than ours and they had round eyes, darkened from their evolution under a very strong sunlight.
Biology 17: ... Barring any local biological threats, we could easily live on their worlds – they wouldn’t even need terraforming...

Biology 18: ... Most of their worlds have a lower gravity rating than we would consider normal, which no doubt explains their taller, more slender frame.

Biology 19: ... This data shows that they preferred warmer worlds than we do, and don’t appear to have been well suited to colder climates. Fragments of their history reveal that they experienced changes in climate in their early history, and it was that – rather than conflict – that prompted their technological development....
History 3: ... The Guardians’ recorded history begins much earlier than it does in human history.... Their earliest records tell of a great upheaval caused by climate change, and although the exact cause isn’t recorded, there are references to a dimming of the sun. Whatever the cause, the effect was a drop in global temperature. Having evolved to operate in a tropical environment, the Guardians were unsuited to the suddenly colder climate. But their intelligence allowed them to adapt better than other creatures in their ecology by building primitive shelters from plants.

History 4: ... The worsening weather after what I understand as global climate change or possibly a cosmic event, precipitated the development of tools...

I recently suggested that maybe the Regor sector isn't the Guardians origin point, but more like a Colonia-style expansion (because it's too small). If they like hot stars, then colonising Gamma Velorum (assuming it has a terraformable world) might make sense, but...

The main reason I'm interested in this is that I have speculated in the past that the Guardians used the "Omphalos Rift" to colonise our galaxy. This would adequately explain why they're apparently limited to a relatively small region of the galaxy despite their advanced technology, superior FTL, population pressures, long life, and 8,000 years of spacefaring before their end. Maybe Wolf-Rayet stars are important to the Omphalos Rift, not specifically to Guardians...

I've been saying this for years! Why has ED put a Wolf Rayet in LAWD26? It is a huge astronomical anomaly in a game for which DB professed accuracy. If it were true then at only 20 odd ly from Sol it would be visible during the day from Earth (in fact Earth would probably not have a night! Don't forget WR are massive stars & Regor is visible 1000+ly from Sol). Has anyone asked FD why it exists in-game??

I would also really like to know if anyone has asked Fdev why it's there, is it a bug, or something more? I can't believe no-one has asked?

That star is very, very real. It's LAWD 26 per SIMBAD and in-game (listed GJ 293). In-game the system is called LAWD 26 but the Wolf-rayet is Gliese 293 B. The reason it isn't visible in daylight is most emissions are ultraviolet instead of the visible light spectrum.

No, the star Gliese 293 is a White Dwarf star, which is the A component of the system in ED. Source 1, Source 2. We're talking about the hecking massive Wolf-Rayet star that's the B component in the system, which absolutely doesn't exist IRL.

Last edited:
I would also really like to know if anyone has asked Fdev why it's there, is it a bug, or something more? I can't believe no-one has asked?

No, the star Gliese 293 is a White Dwarf star, which is the A component of the system in ED. Source 1, Source 2. We're talking about the hecking massive Wolf-Rayet star that's the B component in the system, which absolutely doesn't exist IRL.
I was surprised as well, and I put this question to Support this morning. They are gonna ask the dev team next week, so I'll let y'all know.

Last edited:
Okay, yeah now I am confused. The SIMBAD entry clearly is referecing the white dwarf (mentioned spectral-class DA9). So, yeah what gives FDev?

The reason it isn't visible in daylight is most emissions are ultraviolet instead of the visible light spectrum.

From Wikipedia on Wolf-Rayets:
All Wolf–Rayet stars are highly luminous objects due to their high temperatures—thousands of times the bolometric luminosity of the Sun (L☉) for the CSPNe, hundreds of thousands L☉ for the population I WR stars, to over a million L☉ for the WNh stars—although not exceptionally bright visually since most of their radiation output is in the ultraviolet.

The naked-eye stars Gamma Velorum and Theta Muscae, as well as one of the most massive known stars, R136a1 in 30 Doradus, are all Wolf–Rayet stars.
"Not exceptionally bright visually" is a relative term. Not exceptionally bright visually for something thousands of times more luminous in total emission output than the sun? Sure. Still really bright compared with most stars.

So: Gamma Velorum, distance 1000+ LY, apparent magnitude 1.83 in the visible spectrum (even if it is brighter in ultraviolet). Fairly bright as night sky stars go.
Hypothetical Gliese 293 B, distance 26 LY, isn't going to be dimmer visually than Gamma Velorum - it's 40 times closer so by inverse-square law it would be around 1600 times as bright as Gamma Velorum is ... if it existed.

... so, 5 magnitude steps is 100x brightness difference, so 1600x brightness difference on a log scale would be 8 magnitude steps, so the apparent visual spectrum magnitude of a Wolf Rayet at 26 LY would be -6 to -7. That's significantly brighter than Venus, even before you get into it being even brighter in UV. We'd have noticed. And also panicked about the "supernova close enough to completely irradiate the biosphere" potential.

[1] Which, yes, for a star that massive is relatively low as a visual spectrum thing: Beteleguse is -5, Rigel is -8, Polaris is -3 but relatively small for a supergiant, Antares is -5 (on average). But you'd still notice one next door.

Is this lore-locked until a story unlock or can it be overcome? Is the lock similar in functionality to a regional permit. Even knowing there is a way and we don't understand enough yet may be significant.
Best my squad could get from them was "there's a Regor permit in our system but we cannot give further info about this permit". If you guys feel like asking to see if they give more bits i'd love to know further answers.

I recently suggested that maybe the Regor sector isn't the Guardians origin point, but more like a Colonia-style expansion (because it's too small). If they like hot stars, then colonising Gamma Velorum (assuming it has a terraformable world) might make sense, but...

The main reason I'm interested in this is that I have speculated in the past that the Guardians used the "Omphalos Rift" to colonise our galaxy. This would adequately explain why they're apparently limited to a relatively small region of the galaxy despite their advanced technology, superior FTL, population pressures, long life, and 8,000 years of spacefaring before their end. Maybe Wolf-Rayet stars are important to the Omphalos Rift, not specifically to Guardians...
A planet's temperature is not dictated by its star's temperature but mostly by its proximity to the star and its atmosphere. You can have a really hot habitable planet orbiting closely to a brown dwarf and a really cold orbiting a WR from a big distance.

And by the way, we cannot overlook that both systems have other stars:

1700355040356.png
1700355048105.png

So Guardians didn't exactly need to live under a WR. Most guardian structures are near brown dwarfs just like the one in Gamma Velorum and, although not as often, K-type stars like the ones in Hen 2-333. We really can't tell until we look at the system.

Still, Gamma Velorum not being their home world is an interesting theory. A few questions should be answered though, why would they go that way? Why create so many structures and expand their FTL network in the vicinity of GV? The other guardian "bubbles" are much smaller and dont contain structures just ruins. Because of the thargoid war? If so there's no other known evidence to support the conflict other than Trapezium and Wregoe BUY-2 sites.

Unless you have something with you?
We've tried a ship fitted with all guardian modules without success and iirc with guardian items on the cargo hold too, but i'd need to confirm that. Our theory is that this region has some kind of repulsive field to thargoid-like hyperspace tech, which is a dead end since we cannot use other type of drives in the game.

Unless you have something with you?
Trinkets of Hidden Fortune, perhaps? Also, LHS 3447 (one of the start systems) has a rare good - Galactic Travel Guide. There is the Mysterious Idol, tok. Though, generally I consider anything requiring actual effort to obtain is likely to more valuable. The Revised Catholic Mission for all practical purposes runs the Federation (based out of Aymiay, Beta Hydri, and Mars). Assume that is somehow important. If we secretly made peace with a group of the aliens, the Federation and Alliance are high up on the list of groups that may have more of an idea of what transpired.

So Guardians didn't exactly need to live under a WR. Most guardian structures are near brown dwarfs just like the one in Gamma Velorum and, although not as often, K-type stars like the ones in Hen 2-333. We really can't tell until we look at the system.
AHA! I see what's happened! From what I know, the real Gamma Velorum doesn't have a brown dwarf in it. It's Wolf-Rayet and blue Supergiant. I hadn't considered that the ED version would be different! - my mistake!

The real Gamma Velorum is too young (by billions of years) to have any complex life evolved there - hence, simply can't be the Guardian home system. The ED version with the Brown Dwarf.... well that changes things a lot!!

"Gamma Velorum is a quadruple star system consisting of the primary component Gamma2 Velorum (Gamma Velorum A) and the secondary Gamma1 Velorum (Gamma Velorum B). Gamma2 Velorum is a spectroscopic binary star composed of a carbon-rich Wolf-Rayet star and a massive blue giant, while Gamma1 Velorum is also a spectroscopic double, consisting of a blue giant and a fainter close companion. The estimated age of the Gamma2 Velorum components is between 3.5 and 5.5 million years, while the Gamma1 Velorum stars are believed to be older, with an estimated age of 8 million years." Source.

That raises more questions. From what I can see Gamma Velorum's stellar composition should have been known before ED was made? So... Is it a bug in the stellar forge? (In which case, did they place the Guardians there based on a bug?!) or... is the difference between 'real' and 'game' a deliberate change?! ... or something else?

What's going on??

Back
Top Bottom