Yes.

They are most evident in Alpha Cygni and Star of India system maps. They pop up after a minute or two, watching the map. They are dynamic objects that grow and morph for a few minutes and then starts to fade. They are quite small. The image is a zoomed hi-res cut out.

Both Alpha Cygni and Star of India have two of them. I have seen one similar in Alpha Centauri as well, but that one is hard to find.

You don't have to be in the system to see them, as long as you have explored the system at some point.

That's interesting. I don't think I ever noticed them when I played. That they are different per system yet persistent, means they must represent something.

Sounds like a subject worthy of sciencing! Has there been a thread on this phenomenon?
As @Han_Zen says, he highlighted it a while back in this thread. I then went, checked and confirmed the phenomena. So first step of independent confirmation is done and it’s not a hardware specific/individual setup specific thing.

What we really need now is an avenue for checking the bug possibility, without having to go through the risks of actually raising it as an issue! 😀

I'd love to help out with that but unfortunately, my comp has been down for a year. Haven't been able to play a graphical game for a while now.

That sounds really interesting though.
If you mean the checking out the bug possibility, then don’t worry, I was only saying it in jest. It’d need someone from FD to look into it and that pretty much ain’t going to happen. It’s nigh on impossible getting a straight answer on stuff like that even at the best of times! 😀

(All that’s being said in good humour on my part I hasten to add! 😀)

@SkyRock - 1. No no pirates in Sol, deliberately I think to keep the BGS locked rather than open. Some systems are fixed, probably so players cant do anything too game-breaking.
2. Could be one could be more but most legends point to one Raxxla. Tharg homeworld if it is a living thing will possibly have more than one.
3. Im with others on this one, no date set for DW formation, PFF formed 2805 afaik so far, obviously people were members of DW long before this date but hard to pin down first mention (for me so far). No actual story about when or how they got a station, maybe they started in a station, maybe they got one 3 centuries later. Quite likely DW toast has nothing to do with location or directions, they don't know where it is, theres no legend they ever did so youre right, how can they point to something they don't know where it is. On the other hand, its a laugh innit and you don't ever really know.

Frontier deliberately keep the whole thing wide open so it can go anywhere. Read Agatha Christie for the model, anybody could have done it but only on the last few pages is the conclusion made about which one is the right answer. AC also had a habit of introducing something critical in the denouement that the reader didn't know until that point.

Some writers leave disconnected clues or bits of info all over the place that only make sense at the end

The thread sometimes has 3 or 4 conversations at once, doesn't mean youre being ignored, you got a few likes so a few people just agreed with you and moved on

The Dark Wheel might have inherited a station from the shreds of the CIEP after the battle in And Here The Wheel. Finding the CIEP bases is a lead for me.

Raxxla may never have been found by any human. It could still be a legend based on handed down or discovered information, like the Mars Relic, or passed on by Aliens to some groups many centuries ago (or perhaps even to the Ancient Egyptians, etc.). Holdstock only gives speculation on this in the novella sp it is wide open.

Frontier wrote the toast for us for a reason - its too juicy to mean nothing. In fact the codex has only a few small paragraphs, so likely each sentence has something important to say on the matter.

As @Han_Zen says, he highlighted it a while back in this thread. I then went, checked and confirmed the phenomena. So first step of independent confirmation is done and it’s not a hardware specific/individual setup specific thing.

What we really need now is an avenue for checking the bug possibility, without having to go through the risks of actually raising it as an issue! 😀

Mmm? Why would raising a bug report on it form a risk?
Puzzled of Mu Leonis 😁

Mmm? Why would raising a bug report on it form a risk?
Puzzled of Mu Leonis 😁
Well, you never know, it might not be a bug. Can’t be letting the denizens of the issue tracker in on it can we! 😉

But more seriously, even if it is a bug, I quite like its presence! The risk is that if it is a bug, raising it on the issue tracker might be taken as a bug report rather than a request for clarification, and it might end up actually getting removed! 😀

Ha ha, you have found my secret
Jorki Rasalas, Imperial Vice Admiral
Duke of Mu Leonis

Well, I would be if it were inhabited! 😉
I have had a secret suspision for some time now..
The story of Prince Rasselas...he has a sister (princess) who is interested in astromomy... and they came from a valley paradise in abyssinia.... a sort of eldorodo..... so ya you are a raxxlan plant and possibly raxxla is in yorkshire ?

Yep. Sometime in the system map may be visible strange graphical things. It may moving as you move the map. It's not the background picture.
I’m at alpha Cygni and can confirm this ghost on the system map. Doesn’t show up in orrery. Doesn’t seem to actually be triggered by the system map. Fades in an out randomly. It does move with the map suggesting it’s in a really close system or inside the system itself.

Im trying to find it using the background stats in the system map to align but I am curious if the stars in the system map can be used to triangulate the angle at which the system Star is being viewed?

Edit: the background stars in the system map are always the same, regardless of the system :(

This.

Attachments

• 1D646119-F569-49CB-83F9-B58F745B1B77.jpeg
    1D646119-F569-49CB-83F9-B58F745B1B77.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 322
I have had a secret suspision for some time now..
The story of Prince Rasselas...he has a sister (princess) who is interested in astromomy... and they came from a valley paradise in abyssinia.... a sort of eldorodo..... so ya you are a raxxlan plant and possibly raxxla is in yorkshire ?

Well I came from a valley, but in Industrial Yorkshire so it was no Eden.
I did have a sister but she passed a long time ago, and she wasn’t interested in astronomy.
A Raxxlan plant? No mate, I ain’t no thargoid!!
Raxxla in Yorkshire??? True, it is God’s Own Country, so definitely a paradise (well, more evident in some bits of it, like the North York Moors & Pennines). On the M1 motorway Sheffield is the gateway to the Midlands from the North of England, so it could be seen as the gateway to a different universe! 😉

No, just when I was thinking about a pilot name I googled stars in Leo (my birth sign) and found ‘Rasalas meaning "The Lion's Head toward the South"’....
I’ve been on the South coast for around 45 years (& I’m a head case, you have to be mad to quest for Raxxla!); it seemed to fit nicely! 😁

Last edited:

Interesting! Looks like a piece of wreckage, at least supposed to represent something manufactured.
Wouldn’t think it’s a graphical artefact; I’m no graphics expert, but it looks to me to be designed.
So either an Easter egg by FD, or an intentional thing to be found? Could this be Raxxla, or something else?
Has anyone tried to approach it? Does its size vary? If size is invariant I’d say it’s an artefact or Easter egg, but if it’s designed then.....

Top Bottom