I've seen them at B class stars, t Tauri's and o classes. I've listened to people tell me they are planetary nebula while I was sat in one with only a neutron star. With the "little bit obvious" MB comment, I wonder what these funny little jewels actually are.

FYI : I am aware he made this comment before the toast existed
Unrelated but I just noticed the name. You and Guru are always like 3 steps ahead of me 😂 every time I get an idea to look at an area, I arrive and the planets are all “first mapped my Mattius” or “first mapped by Guru951”. You guys have got some light years under your seats :)

Thing is though there has been clues. The codex entries are clues, DB comments are clues "we dont know what it is" etc.

Personally I hope it isn't in the game as it stands now, I couldn't imagine anything as anti climactic as it being a earth like with some lights on the back of it.
I think it is in the game personally. I believe DB even said that it is in game and FDEV knows where it is. But like the Zurara which was originally just a mangled Anaconda they kept its location really hard to just stumble across or even actively find until they had it as they wanted it. I do think it’s possible to find it, but until they can put on a real show with it they’re gonna keep it really hard to find or get to.
with atmospherics and whatnot coming and all that I think with the years they’ve had to mull it over and get things right they’re probably near ready to make it a little easier to find. Still really hard I hope, don’t want it handed to us on a platter like they did with the Rift, but something to go on to pull the thread a bit. I think them adding a codex entry for it and all that indicates they’re getting pretty confident in what they have to offer for raxxla near future.

Since you brought up the guardians tho I really can’t help but notice how similar the design features of the ruins are to the raxxla symbol. Could be, perhaps, that Raxxla is the guardian home world that expedition was trying to find and the symbol is the shape of the ruin or civilization there? And why green? Doubt they picked the color just because it looked cool.

I've seen them at B class stars, t Tauri's and o classes. I've listened to people tell me they are planetary nebula while I was sat in one with only a neutron star. With the "little bit obvious" MB comment, I wonder what these funny little jewels actually are.

FYI : I am aware he made this comment before the toast existed

A planetary nebula is not formed like other types of nebula such as the Pleiades, Bubble, etc:
“A planetary nebula is created when a star blows off its outer layers after it has run out of fuel to burn. These outer layers of gas expand into space, forming a nebula which is often the shape of a ring or bubble.”

A star could produce a planetary nebula as part of its death throes before collapsing to form a BH or WD. Or it could continue to burn as a conventional star, but slimmed down a bit. Wish I could do the same to get rid of this Covid waistline!

I got my first Elite badge, Exploration, in a 26ly Cobra. But I now prefer my 60ly armed Phantom for everyday use.

Last edited:
I’m sill tootin around in my Lakon AspX :p thought many times of switching over but she’s been with me so long and far that I can’t bear to part with it now. :p

Honestly the phantom moves better is tougher and can go further
I think it is in the game personally. I believe DB even said that it is in game and FDEV knows where it is. But like the Zurara which was originally just a mangled Anaconda they kept its location really hard to just stumble across or even actively find until they had it as they wanted it. I do think it’s possible to find it, but until they can put on a real show with it they’re gonna keep it really hard to find or get to.
with atmospherics and whatnot coming and all that I think with the years they’ve had to mull it over and get things right they’re probably near ready to make it a little easier to find. Still really hard I hope, don’t want it handed to us on a platter like they did with the Rift, but something to go on to pull the thread a bit. I think them adding a codex entry for it and all that indicates they’re getting pretty confident in what they have to offer for raxxla near future.

Since you brought up the guardians tho I really can’t help but notice how similar the design features of the ruins are to the raxxla symbol. Could be, perhaps, that Raxxla is the guardian home world that expedition was trying to find and the symbol is the shape of the ruin or civilization there? And why green? Doubt they picked the color just because it looked cool.
The placeholder thing could well be the case, but having totally new assets to flesh out a mythical world would be a million times better. It stops people from being upset I guess.

The guardian story is quite obviously unfinished, they would be foolish to leave it as it is and I do personally believe that we will be seeing the Guardian AI make an appearance in some way.

Got high Hope's for oddessy anyway. So far what I have seen has been great.

A planetary nebula is not formed like other types of nebula such as the Pleiades, Bubble, etc:
“A planetary nebula is created when a star blows off its outer layers after it has run out of fuel to burn. These outer layers of gas expand into space, forming a nebula which is often the shape of a ring or bubble.”

A star could produce a planetary nebula as part of its death throes before collapsing to form a BH or WD. Or it could continue to burn as a conventional star, but slimmed down a bit. Wish I could do the same to get rid of this Covid waistline!

I got my first Elite badge, Exploration, in a 26ly Cobra. But I now prefer my 60ly armed Phantom for everyday use.

Been to them they are amazing places for pics. Thing is though the halo glow around certain stars in the map is not exclusive to systems that have a planetary nebula. There is not one star or system type that these kind of objects only exist at.

The shorter range jumps let you scan an area in more detail as your not missing chunks out. However they are horrendous when your hiking to far flung places. I got my first elite badge in an aspx. Loved that ship...

Last edited:
Been to them they are amazing places for pics. Thing is though the halo glow around certain stars in the map is not exclusive to systems that have a planetary nebula. There is not one star or system type that these kind of objects only exist at.

The shorter range jumps let you scan an area in more detail as your not missing chunks out. However they are horrendous when your hiking to far flung places. I got my first elite badge in an aspx. Loved that ship...

If not planetary nebula could be local dust clouds. Some stars are extremely dirty!

Honestly the phantom moves better is tougher and can go further

The placeholder thing could well be the case, but having totally new assets to flesh out a mythical world would be a million times better. It stops people from being upset I guess.

The guardian story is quite obviously unfinished, they would be foolish to leave it as it is and I do personally believe that we will be seeing the Guardian AI make an appearance in some way.

Got high Hope's for oddessy anyway. So far what I have seen has been great.

Ah, but I don’t think anywhere in the Codex it says that Raxxla is a world/planet! that’s a hangover from Holdstock’s original novella. Codex (only canon lore we can currently rely on other than tourist beacons) just says it’s “a mysterious place....with a mystical secret”, with a hint that the “Omphalos Rift alien artefact” could be a gateway (but since it’s been in-game since before Horizons it can’t be a planetary surface feature, so it must be either within Raxxla or orbiting it). And since FD have said several times there’s only one galaxy implemented in-game then it must be a gateway either to elsewhere in the Milky Way, or to a virtual world (not saying Guardian AI 😉)). “But you don’t know what it is” (DBraben), so Raxxla could be any astronomical object implemented with special properties to provide an fsd jump point. I’m still inclined towards a BH! When I started playing BH didn’t have exclusion zones, you entered but got nowhere. Then FD introduced exclusion zones-must be a reason!

The Codex Raxxla logo could be a pictorial representation of the Omphalos, or it could be a map!

Last edited:
Ah, but I don’t think anywhere in the Codex it says that Raxxla is a world/planet! that’s a hangover from Holdstock’s original novella. Codex (only canon lore we can currently rely on other than tourist beacons) just says it’s “a mysterious place....with a mystical secret”, with a hint that the “Omphalos Rift alien artefact” could be a gateway (but since it’s been in-game since before Horizons it can’t be a planetary surface feature, so it must be either within Raxxla or orbiting it). And since FD have said several times there’s only one galaxy implemented in-game then it must be a gateway either to elsewhere in the Milky Way, or to a virtual world (not saying Guardian AI 😉)). “But you don’t know what it is” (DBraben), so Raxxla could be any astronomical object implemented with special properties to provide an fsd jump point. I’m still inclined towards a BH! When I started playing BH didn’t have exclusion zones, you entered but got nowhere. Then FD introduced exclusion zones-must be a reason!

The Codex Raxxla logo could be a pictorial representation of the Omphalos, or it could be a map!
Rafe Zetter described: "an alien construct that's a gateway to other Universes". In the Codex the wording is changed to 'alien artefac' and 'parallel universes'.

Not much difference, I think. The codex is perhaps even clearer than Rafe, in suggesting the gateway is not to another location in our universe?

Both hyperspace and the guardian monolith network comes to mind as possible other / parallel universes.

If the occupy different universes then by definition ours is alien to them so the gateway could be one way, to ours.

What they are supposed to be or represent may not be the same as what they appear to be. Many stars and star types and things are mis-identified in the black. Even when there is supposed to ELW for story reasons, there arent any, probably a bug but never rectified. I still say graphics first, bug second, oversight third. Ive looked at my skybox and looked at EDSM and just sighed at times. And thats supposed to be there.

Thing is though there has been clues. The codex entries are clues, DB comments are clues "we dont know what it is" etc.

Personally I hope it isn't in the game as it stands now, I couldn't imagine anything as anti climactic as it being a earth like with some lights on the back of it.

Tinfoil says 'there will be no clues' is future tense and doesnt exclude 'there are already clues'. It does imply not though, does imply its not part of any other story whatsoever, it is its own thing and finding it is the story.

I submitted a bug report of one compared to EDSM pics, got nowhere. Could try asking support what they are supposed to be if anything, if supposed to be one thing or not. Or just a stage of star that sometimes creates nebula?

I suspect that RAXXLA isn't anywhere in the sense that it's an actual place. More in the line of it as being some kind of hollodeck, like in Star Trek. Maybe some kind of Guardian structure in which a player needs an alien artefact to active. Like a place that isn't a place, etc. etc.
This structure may have already been found by players but they haven't a clue of what they have stumbled across, except maybe it's just a Guardian structure. The Jameson miss jump could have possibly been to the planet where this Guardian structure is.

Vague memories of an early vid of DB saying something like 'Its like nothing else in game and you will know it if you find it' or words to that effect. Im of the opinion that like Zuara it has been upgraded / updated as time went on but no evidence at all for that.

Jorki has a thread going with a video archive of mainly DB not on Frontier YT. Just a reminder if we find any in future to add them there, would have been easy then to say in this vid here...

Jameson I cant work out if his location now is in any way a pointer to Tharg space, or is it all them crashed Thargs in the PS and WHN, is that where he attacked?

Since you brought up the guardians tho I really can’t help but notice how similar the design features of the ruins are to the raxxla symbol. Could be, perhaps, that Raxxla is the guardian home world that expedition was trying to find and the symbol is the shape of the ruin or civilization there?

Future Alien Theorists says: Yes!

Raxxla symbol = Ophtalmos = Eye = Jewel in the crown

hyperspace is a universe in of itself.. A dimension that has size and volume much like our own normal universe. Thargoids have the ability to not just temporarily traverse hyperspace in narrow corridors, but to not move in hyperspace as well as really travel in it.

It stands to reason that other things can exist in hyperspace. Especially artificial things put there by civilizations perhaps even much older than the guardians.

The idea that only one galaxy exists can still be true. The idea that raxxla is in the game can still be true. It's just something that exists in hyperspace and could easily be hidden from access by making a player have to enter hyperspace from a particular point with a particular destination.

Though, i still think it's something hidden in a roid field or the remnants of raxxla is the roid field.

<snip>

What? Right now? Are you aware of the Turning The Wheel thread / forum community goal? We are trying to push DW to Sol & Lave and could do without the anti-DW effort right now if thats not too much to ask? If you havent seen it join us and try this later maybe? There are rumours that something may happen. (or at least that fdev may be aware of it, the rest is hope and the video got lost so we cant see exactly what was said - Obfuscation in the outer rim)

If not no worries, gotta blaze your own trail :)
Hey @Vetinari, no I wasn't aware, been out of it for a bit! Aside from an occasional post in here and review of TDW / Raxxla hunting I usually stay away from the forums and just enjoy the game.

Sounds like an interesting plan though, and I can certainly hold off for a bit. I don't get a huge amount of game-time at the moment so doubt I'd influence much anyway. But happy to do the Ram Tah missions and come back to becoming an enemy of TDW in SD.

Thanks for letting me know!

/ Ra

Vague memories of an early vid of DB saying something like 'Its like nothing else in game and you will know it if you find it' or words to that effect. Im of the opinion that like Zuara it has been upgraded / updated as time went on but no evidence at all for that.

Jorki has a thread going with a video archive of mainly DB not on Frontier YT. Just a reminder if we find any in future to add them there, would have been easy then to say in this vid here...

Jameson I cant work out if his location now is in any way a pointer to Tharg space, or is it all them crashed Thargs in the PS and WHN, is that where he attacked?

The thread (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fdev-ed-relevant-quotes-videos.553526/#post-8671776) I started is for any vid (or other official source or original rumour reference) related to E D mysteries. Please post Twitch or YT vid links or anything else there, but strip off the preceding “https:\\” so the link is embedded without all the graphical stuff that this forum software imposes and which makes page refresh problematic. The link can still be clicked and it will open up the reference.

@Macros- perhaps a link to that thread in the op of this?

I suspect Jameson’s wreck was placed early when (I suspect) the Thargoids threat was due to “come across the Formidine Rift” ( early, now retconned so no longer canon, book reference) & presumably from Bovomit. It’s location could make sense in that context.

the Thargoids threat was due to “come across the Formidine Rift” ( early, now retconned so no longer canon, book reference)

I havent read the books, which one was that? Just curious as Zuara et al & HF & Conflux was placed early / beginning in a 180 degree arc away from the Thargs in the PS, which means it had changed by that time already doesnt it? Retconned between the books and the initial game? Was there time? IF yes it fills in quite a few gaps all over the place and puts a timestamp on the ongoing retcon from 'Elite - FFE' to 'The Novels' to 'ED' (to possibly wherever we are now or may be going back to the original ED but after the Novels if that was the final plan just waiting for the game to catch up to move it forwards)

Top Bottom