The Star Citizen Thread V10

I was just watching the E3 trailers 2019 and I occasionally thought "SC is so dead....". Oh well maybe 2020 Roberts will announce a new star role in the upcoming SQ42 game "introducing SC meets John Wick" or something :) Dig deep whales ^^
I wonder if Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman and others still even have any wonder regarding the game where they were acting on, I mean has any of them even had any thought about where's the game actually is or all of them just happy to get the paycheck and bury their experience working for it?

I wonder if Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman and others still even have any wonder regarding the game where they were acting on, I mean has any of them even had any thought about where's the game actually is or all of them just happy to get the paycheck and bury their experience working for it?
Its been a few years since any of them has participated to work on Star Citizen and the project has since failed to release or create major headlines (apart from all the drama). I m sure they ll remember if you ask them about it but apart from that I cannot fathom them wasting a second of thought on this anymore, Mark probably is prodded occasionally by CRoberts to provide some form of publicity but his latest twitter in this regard (my most liked game is SQ42...lol what?) just shows hes doing whats expected of him (or what he is getting paid for) and nothing more.

They're actors. They would've all been in projects that never released. :sneaky:

Mark Hamill has a lot of experience in the video game industry actually, i expect he knows what it's all about. Still, a paycheck is a paycheck, and he's a professional.

It's on PC. The whole announcement revolves around how Game Pass is coming to PC as an extension of the existing XBox store integration — a lot of what they presented was there to give the game pass a wide lineup on launch.
Didn't know that. I assumed with the Xbox logo it was being released on Xbox :(

I have Gamepass for the Xbox at any rate so at least I don't need to pay for it twice.

Ahh - 3D games in the 80's :D

They certainly existed - Freescape engine anyone? Carrier Command? Battlezone from the 70's?

Actually - playing Carrier Command again provides more gameplay and enjoyment than Star Citizen can currently offer.
Oh, and the original Elite. :censored:

Yes, they did exist, but were very much in the minority. Most "3D" games back then were still sprite based, or had major pre-rendered components as there wasn't the computing horsepower to build complex models in real time.

More people hammering the servers probably was a factor. They still need to get that netcode improved.
Aren't they using Amazon's Lumberyard now? It should have all MMO functionality built-in now. But then again, Lumberyard is only in alpha or beta version as well.

Aren't they using Amazon's Lumberyard now? It should have all MMO functionality built-in now. But then again, Lumberyard is only in alpha or beta version as well.
Nah. Lumberyard is no more MMO-tuned than any other engine, and the replacement network layer to tie the engine into Amazon's services like GameLift are expressly not geared towards persistent world setup, but rather for standard small-group session based games (i.e. your regular map/round deathmatch format).

If you want to do anything fancy, you still have to create custom server software to run on whatever virtualised, instanced, distributed, proxied, or centralised hardware setup you need for your purposes, and you still need to write bespoke network layers to talk to those servers. The built-in stuff just helps with stuff like match making, account management, stats keeping, and similar low-data transactions in-between matches.

The problem is, of course, that at no point have they demonstrated any semblance of competence in or focus on the network part of the game — you know, the one that ultimately decides if it can be done or not.

Nah. Lumberyard is no more MMO-tuned than any other engine, and the replacement network layer to tie the engine into Amazon's services like GameLift are expressly not geared towards persistent world setup, but rather for standard small-group session based games (i.e. your regular map/round deathmatch format).
Dang. I thought Amazon had worked on that part and made something good there.

If you want to do anything fancy, you still have to create custom server software to run on whatever virtualised, instanced, distributed, proxied, or centralised hardware setup you need for your purposes, and you still need to write bespoke network layers to talk to those servers. The built-in stuff just helps with stuff like match making, account management, stats keeping, and similar low-data transactions in-between matches.
I see. Not much then. I was hoping they'd done more, basically the first fully-net-game engine. Oh well.

Dang. I thought Amazon had worked on that part and made something good there.

I see. Not much then. I was hoping they'd done more, basically the first fully-net-game engine. Oh well.
It's reasonably likely that CRobber thought so too. Just look back at the Jennison letter, where he's exasperated over how Chris refuses to give the artists any kind of asset budgets because “the engine will sort it out” — i.e. he has no idea what the engine does or how it works, and are asking his artists to not use good practices based on an erroneous assumption that things will be automated.

So what are the odds that he'd think the same about “the cloud giant Amazon's game engine with built-in Amazon network services integration”? Being able to plug in an API key into standard methods to access ready-made online databases every 15 minutes or so (which is all that integration really does) is a far cry from running a real-time massive multiplayer world.

Hello,

SC probably postponed for 10 years more if The Visionnaire is watching E3:

Bye.
That looks insane. I also couldn't help notice how much better CP2077's vibe was compared with the stale hubs in SC. It also made me wonder how 'Next Era' is going to look for ED, because FD has their work cut out for them too if they want to tackle atmos. The current ice planets look incredibly dated...

Top Bottom