The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No the in-house magic germans they have that are so effective, numerous and never leave that they have 100+ open positions since years.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-18-lumberyard-at-heart-of-amazon-game-studios-development-woes

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal this week after "dozens" of staff were laid off, Amazon game devs anonymously laid out problems facing development with Lumberyard.

Apparently, the engine was not built with multiplayer games in mind. According to one developer, this meant developing Breakaway was like "driving a train while the tracks were still being laid."

"They're still ironing out the kinks of what it means to own and maintain your own engine," said one developer, referring to the Lumberyard team.
Wait! I thought Lumberyard was the engine SC needed and CIG was hand-in-hand with Amazon a that poor Jeff Bezos' employees were having the chance to get help from magic germans as return of favor...

Last edited:
You don't understand game development (!), CIG Star Engine is a separate branch of Lumberyard that also was a separate branch of CryEngine, what could go wrong?

😁

CI-G have already demonstrated ability in this sphere with their Completely Refactored Application Patcher.

A further engine switch here would be as simple as flicking the switch and substituting some logo jpegs. Actually - I could quite see CI-G selling physicalized jpegs and implementing an exciting space ship multiplayer combat game using LOGO ;)

CI-G have already demonstrated ability in this sphere with their Completely Refactored Application Patcher.

A further engine switch here would be as simple as flicking the switch and substituting some logo jpegs. Actually - I could quite see CI-G selling physicalized jpegs and implementing an exciting space ship multiplayer combat game using LOGO ;)
Don't you mean LEGO? :D

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-18-lumberyard-at-heart-of-amazon-game-studios-development-woes

Wait! I thought Lumberyard was the engine SC needed and CIG was hand-in-hand with Amazon a that poor Jeff Bezos' employees were having the chance to get help from magic germans as return of favor...
Crytek outplayed them all:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI (Space court), too.

Morale here are - cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay on release...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...

Crytek outplayed them all:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI (Space court), too.

Morale here are - cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay on release...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...
Nah Amazon did it because it was cheaper than Unreal and unity perhaps.

Maybe, but cheaper does not mean its better..now they probably regret this deal...
Yeah, but the amounts of cash involved are chickenfeed to Google and can fall under the "hey, we tried" column in their accounts.

EDIT: But it does seem to be a full 420 IQ point play by CryTek. No idea how it will pan out though.

Forza has recently announced a LEGO DLC so the company is selling licenses. The main question besides LEGO allowing CIG to use their patented name and look is more if CIG could even make something like this work or even want to seeing as high fidelity graphics are its strongest point and also attraction among the fans.

Forza has recently announced a LEGO DLC so the company is selling licenses. The main question besides LEGO allowing CIG to use their patented name and look is more if CIG could even make something like this work or even want to seeing as high fidelity graphics are its strongest point and also attraction among the fans.
Well...A LEGO version of SC would be interesting.

• Build your own galaxy
  • 100% modular ships, brick by brick
  • Fully customizable characters
  • Classic Space ship skins in store

If you open the Live Chat Replay at that timestamp, you'll see my comments disagreeing with him.

TL;DW: the flight model was bad, and now it's much worse. IMO, of course. But hey, it's still in Alpha so the best time to give feedback.
Agree re flight model, but not about the 'Alpha' I don't think anything coherent will ever come out of that. We might not agree with them but FDev made core fundamental decisions early on which were the foundation the game is built on. Over there I see no foundations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree re flight model, but not about the 'Alpha' I don't think anything coherent will ever come out of that. We might not agree with them but FDev made core fundamental decisions early on which were the foundation the game is built on. Over there I see no foundations.
Ah but you'll see: once the foundation tech is implemented in [CurrentYear]+1 the gameplay and content delivery will really ramp up! All other games are doomed

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom