The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
An aside:

Where's Hi-Ban, Briguy, etc?. Haven't seen any of the vehemently pro camp posting for ages. Probably since well before the recent Citcon.

Anyways I have some free time tonight might try to catch some of this livestream. They need to get some decent info and gameplay out to keep the ball rolling and well..The hour is getting late as hendrix sang.

CMDR_orlando is banned/suspended has been for a while

Hi-ban and Briguy168 seem to have stopped posting (may not have enough rep to post in this thread now)

John Mice complained he couldn't post in this thread anymore because of bias and was told his rep was taken away for mass abuse of the rep system, this could apply equally to the others from the pro-camp who have now vanished (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/299338-Cant-post-in-a-thread-where-I-could-before)

Hello commanders

I know very little about SC other than it looks interesting to me.. I love Elite and I'm not looking for competition with it but I would like another space game..

I am struggling to find simple info on what's playable in SC at the minute and is it worth picking up right now or should I hold fire for a while?

Any input (unbiased would be great as I just love all space stuff) is greatly appreciated!

o7

They'll probably announce another free-fly week to coincide with the anniversary livestream, best to give it a go then.

An aside:

Where's Hi-Ban, Briguy, etc?. Haven't seen any of the vehemently pro camp posting for ages. Probably since well before the recent Citcon.

Anyways I have some free time tonight might try to catch some of this livestream. They need to get some decent info and gameplay out to keep the ball rolling and well..The hour is getting late as hendrix sang.

Can you post the time and a direct link to the live stream pls? THX!

So presumably this LAN party means;

Local server
High speed Gigabit LAN
Monster client PCs

Will there be a Not representative of live public server gameplay disclaimer I wonder...

Now that's a clever approach. Hardcore whalebase will buy ships on a sale anyway, and there will be snazzy video showing that 2.6 is working, Star Marine is in, only few blockers left, that outsiders or casual fans can use to restore their faith or to claim that SC is in healthy development.

An aside:

Where's Hi-Ban, Briguy, etc?. Haven't seen any of the vehemently pro camp posting for ages. Probably since well before the recent Citcon

Funnily enough, the daily pro-posters went quiet on other sites as well, all seemed to happen around the same time.

Funnily enough, the daily pro-posters went quiet on other sites as well, all seemed to happen around the same time.

The greymarket operators have begun pulling out of SC. They are putting less and less effort into shilling. You might also have noticed that there's barely any of those "Here's a game you might be interested in" posts anymore that try to hawk Star Citizen on other game forums.

So, there will be a dymanic universe with handcrafted missions?
Wow. Glad I don't work for CIG, it would be hard enough to come up with 15 hours of gameplay in a dymanic setting, never mind 1,500.

I don't know that. At least I read that is what they aim for and that is what they showcased 2 or 3 times. I saw these 2 hand crafted missions and they were great. But of course, 1.500 hours of missions is a good question. What they have to achieve and what I'm missing the most about Elite is that we players need good storytelling and a fascinating, ingame, visible, storyline that further develops and ties us deep into the story. That's what I miss the most about Elite. The framework is great but the gameplay is lacking hardcore. I'm playing since Dec 2014 and I got so bored over the last 12 months. The story of Elite is totally disconneted (I repeat myself here again and again) and thus not visible ingame. We, the players, don't feel nor see it. There's only (IMHO) a small amount of players that follows the external, disconnected ASCII based text called storyline. For the rest, the game becomes dull and repetitive very quickly. That's the biggest problem that I see, thinking of Elite and the recent gameplay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies commanders

I wasn't aware of the free weekend things they do, I think I'll hold fire for now and wait for the next one to arrive.

Thanks again
o7

What they have to achieve and what I'm missing the most about Elite is that we players need good storytelling and a fascinating, ingame, visible, storyline that further develops and ties us deep into the story.
That is inherently incompatible with the core concept of the game, and why it will never happen in Elite either.
It's a good thing.

I don't know that. At least I read that is what they aim for and that is what they showcased 2 or 3 times. I saw these 2 hand crafted missions and they were great. But of course, 1.500 hours of missions is a good question. What they have to achieve and what I'm missing the most about Elite is that we players need good storytelling and a fascinating, ingame, visible, storyline that further develops and ties us deep into the story. That's what I miss the most about Elite. The framework is great but the gameplay is lacking hardcore. I'm playing since Dec 2014 and I got so bored over the last 12 months. The story of Elite is totally disconneted (I repeat myself here again and again) and thus not visible ingame. We, the players, don't feel nor see it. There's only (IMHO) a small amount of players that follows the external, disconnected ASCII based text called storyline. For the rest, the game becomes dull and repetitive very quickly. That's the biggest problem that I see, thinking of Elite and the recent gameplay.

How would you crow bar a single player story into ED ?.

You could have a series of voice acted scripted missions across different systems, but to feel like you were making progress in the single player game you'd need to be promoted or given a better ship or paid lots of money and gain combat ranks, and that would skew the main game. Unless all your progress got wiped out and you were dumped in a sidey with 1000 credits and calculon style "amnesia" resetting your rep on completion or something.

How would you crow bar a single player story into ED ?.

You could have a series of voice acted scripted missions across different systems, but to feel like you were making progress in the single player game you'd need to be promoted or given a better ship or paid lots of money and gain combat ranks, and that would skew the main game. Unless all your progress got wiped out and you were dumped in a sidey with 1000 credits and calculon style "amnesia" resetting your rep on completion or something.

To be fair. They could voice a few GalNet articles per month and offer to stream them when docked at a station. They also could work on a real progression naval system with some continuity between missions. For instance, there could be a whole mission chain revolving around the goal to drive some faction unto turmoil, then participate in an uprising and civil war to take over. But, yeah, if if would be easy to implement they'd do it.

Edit: I would already be very pleased if they'd hire a guy like Obsidian Ant to do his regular News video with more exclusve footage, and stream this video in game. Something along these lines.

Last edited:
To be fair. They could voice a few GalNet articles per month and offer to stream them when docked at a station. They also could work on a real progression naval system with some continuity between missions. For instance, there could be a whole mission chain revolving around the goal to drive some faction unto turmoil, then participate in an uprising and civil war to take over. But, yeah, if if would be easy to implement they'd do it.

Edit: I would already be very pleased if they'd hire a guy like Obsidian Ant to do his regular News video with more exclusve footage, and stream this video in game. Something along these lines.

The problem there is in single-player campaigns you save the universe it doesn't really work when everyone does it. A voice acted community goal wouldn't scratch the single player itch (of those who want it). Personally I have single-player games dedicated to doing single-player well and ED for dedicated space sandbox.

I hope it means they will release 2.6 after the show.

If its a case of "Look, here we are playing 2.6. What? You want to play 2.6? No, sorry, not ready yet", i'm pretty sure that would generate quite a lot of saltiness.

Plus, if they do release 2.6, we will get to see how the new flight model works.
I wouldn't count on that, the evocati hasn't touched 2.6.
Wait... is that for real?

I mean- people are happy over that?
I'd understand if they RELEASED 2.6, but... show that they play it? in LAN, no less? :(

*shakes head*
I don't think the community is happy with just that, not most of it for sure. But is better than just ships...
*Mod hat off

Rolan,

Please do not get hang up with semantics, look at WTFosaurus twitch channel and you will see that it is 99% Star Citizen content. If Twitch is his job (as you and him seem to agree on), then SC is his job.

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/videos/all
Sure, I just can't see a problem with that... or something that must be "confessed". For me at least.

Last edited:
The problem there is in single-player campaigns you save the universe it doesn't really work when everyone does it. A voice acted community goal wouldn't scratch the single player itch (of those who want it). Personally I have single-player games dedicated to doing single-player well and ED for dedicated space sandbox.

Doesn't even need to be single player content. Just some lore fluff as the 3302(?) series by ObsidianAnt. If they'd pay a guy like him few hundred pounds a month for 2-3 videos each 10 minutes long reporting in game events, provide some material like HQ screenshots, insider info etc. This would feel much more alive. Imagine watching a breaking news video in your cockpit reporting the finding of alien ruins at some location, offering to load this location in your nav computer with a press of a button. This would already be so much better than scanning the forums for news and locations of stuff.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom