The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
See here for an example of a backer in for $5000 currently seeking a refund: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...zh0/backer_of_514800_usd_applying_for_refund/
images_zpsi6almksk.jpg

That picture on the right corner looks really cool + i didn't have a clue that CR is actually:

BadSanta_zps2dkmpuse.jpg

ho ho ho merry christmas!!!

Last edited:
You don't need Lumberyard for those.

If you're using AWS, you really should build your infrastructure with autoscaling to be cost effective. Elite obviously does the same thing with matchmaking servers, using basic AWS CLI I think.

I wonder how much support SC / Cryengine had for AWS infrastructure and autoscaling before switching to Lumberyard? Did they have to throw away a bunch of code related to this, or had they even implemented any of that prior to the engine switch?

Doesn't matter though, it's nevertheless a smart move on CIG's part.

Lol VR support hasn't been dropped lol as a matter of fact the engine just got updated with even more VR compability... [rolleyes]

Star Citizen is in active development , we already have 1st & 3rd Person animations integrated, we have visual stabilization, we have the head detached from the body and diegetic user interface.

You do realize literally NONE of those things make for good VR, right? "1st & 3rd person animations integrated" isn't some wonderful technical advance, it's utterly pointless and WORKS AGAINST COMFORT IN VR. Adept covered it in more than enough detail, but clearly you don't know anything about VR and it's painful to read things like this. Please read about the subject before lecturing and rolling your eyes. Your condescension would be far more effective if you were arguing from an informed position.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this here yet: Obsidian Ant on 2.6
[video=youtube;ELMmbKo4eRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELMmbKo4eRA[/video]

Overall god report, but no way Q1, but ObsidianAnt most likely don't obsess over details about SC as we do.

PU framerate looks jaggy and it feels buggy. AC looks more eye candy, but combat still feels very floaty, but I guess it is matter of taste.

Last edited:
Overall god report, but no way Q1, but ObsidianAnt most likely don't obsess over details about SC as we do.

PU framerate is miserable and it looks buggy. AC looks more eye candy, combat still....meh.

OA has more sense than to stick his face in this sarcastic salt-mine of a thread. Makes for a nice objective viewpoint. :)

OA has more sense than to stick his face in this sarcastic salt-mine of a thread. Makes for a nice objective viewpoint. :)

Yeah, he seems to be genuinely happy about all good looking space games, although to be fair, he didn't recommend backing SC at this point, and mentioned bugs and issues.

Last note though - that radar jumping around is really distracting. Not sure who thought that is good idea.

Yeah, he seems to be genuinely happy about all good looking space games, although to be fair, he didn't recommend backing SC at this point, and mentioned bugs and issues.

Last note though - that radar jumping around is really distracting. Not sure who thought that is good idea.

Head bob in general is a stupid idea, imo. Yes, IRL our heads bob when we walk/run, but our brains are wired up such that we don't notice it: Undoing that is something I find incredibly immersion breaking...
Hopefully there'll be a toggle for it down the line.

PU framerate looks jaggy and it feels buggy. AC looks more eye candy, but combat still feels very floaty, but I guess it is matter of taste.

Yeah well balanced and down to earth report.....I agree mostly except the FM I am still kind on the fence.......In my opinion there is some positive FM changes as he claim but most of the dog fights will turn into the turret-fest as usual.....

Last edited:
Yeah well balanced and down to earth report.....I agree mostly except the FM I am still kind on the fence.......In my opinion there is some positive FM changes as he claim but most of the dog fights will turn into the turret-fest as usual.....

Yeah, it still looks very turret-ish and not exactly engaging. Not sure what SQ42 Ep1 will have because they're running terribly late to change anyhing.

Head bob in general is a stupid idea, imo. Yes, IRL our heads bob when we walk/run, but our brains are wired up such that we don't notice it: Undoing that is something I find incredibly immersion breaking...
Hopefully there'll be a toggle for it down the line.

It's kind of funny how that whole cycle of style keeps going 'round.

In the olden days, there was no headbob because that would be too costly to render. Then 3D came and made it possible, and everyone threw in headbob because obviously your head bobs (just go back and play OG Half-Life… brrr). Then everyone figured out that it just looked bad and wasn't even that realistic — what matters is what we perceive, not how things actually are.

But at the same time, as graphics became better, the “cinematic” ideal became more possible, so other nonsensical stuff was introduced — lens flares, or motion blur, or depth of field. Artefacts from the inherent flaws of film cameras were replicated because they could be replicated, and because we have spent decades learning that these imperfections “look good.” Then some numpty made shaky-cam popular, and before long, that appeared in video games as well… and soon, we were back to that now doubly nonsensical headbob. :D

If it does nothing else, I'd praise the advent of VR for finally forcing developers to get rid of that visual junk and start letting the brain do its own processing, which is where it should have happened all along.

It's kind of funny how that whole cycle of style keeps going 'round.

In the olden days, there was no headbob because that would be too costly to render. Then 3D came and made it possible, and everyone threw in headbob because obviously your head bobs (just go back and play OG Half-Life… brrr). Then everyone figured out that it just looked bad and wasn't even that realistic — what matters is what we perceive, not how things actually are.

But at the same time, as graphics became better, the “cinematic” ideal became more possible, so other nonsensical stuff was introduced — lens flares, or motion blur, or depth of field. Artefacts from the inherent flaws of film cameras were replicated because they could be replicated, and because we have spent decades learning that these imperfections “look good.” Then some numpty made shaky-cam popular, and before long, that appeared in video games as well… and soon, we were back to that now doubly nonsensical headbob. :D

If it does nothing else, I'd praise the advent of VR for finally forcing developers to get rid of that visual junk and start letting the brain do its own processing, which is where it should have happened all along.

Oh, don't get me started. I'll start yelling at the clouds again.
Reminds me of this, though: https://youtu.be/WbJ-y6BWfUc?t=1m8s

Cool, i got to that Grim Hex place, thats just astonishingly nicely made, the immersion there is unbelievable and although im not into pirating, id rather live there than in very clinical AscCorp. :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom