Third Anniversary Animal

I've been thinking about the potential anniversary animal more recently and I've been trying to view it from the way Frontier does by looking at the similarities between the two we already have: The Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur & the Red Deer. If we look at the similarities we can maybe find some rationale.

List of similarities:
  1. Both heavily reuse the assets of pre-existing animals (Red Ruffed Lemur, Fallow Deer)
  2. Both are very common "basic" zoo animals (For example, they both have well over 150 holders according to zootierliste)
  3. Both were not super requested, the Red Deer had a decently sized fanbase but it certainly wasn't in the top 20
  4. Both do not clash with any "recent" DLC animals, we had no other lemurs released in 2021 and no other deer released in 2022.
In terms of differences:
  1. Both belong to quite different groups, primates and ungulates... This leads me to believe our next anniversary animal will follow suit and most likely not be from one of these groups.
  2. They come from different regions, Africa and Europe... This leads me to believe our next anniversary animal will follow suit and most likely not be from either of these regions.
So, let's analyse. What are some animals that would fall under all these categories?

To be honest, there isn't that much...

My first thought was the Red-Footed Tortoise. The main issue here is whether small tortoises should be habitat or exhibit animals? Personally I'd much rather them as habitat but others probably wouldn't. However they do fill all the criteria... They would basically be the current tortoises but downsized and reskinned, they are super common in zoos, not too highly requested, we haven't had any DLC tortoises so it wouldn't clash, we haven't had any anniversary reptiles and finally it would be from South America, giving a nice boost to the region.

1690290300072.png

A bird would also be a nice option and I think the most sensical would be another flamingo. I know a lot of people are throwing around pheasants but honestly I think they would require some new animations which I don't think Frontier would give for free. Flamingos on the other hand would be literal reskins but could also be a nice boost to the bird roster as well as one to South America. The Chilean Flamingo is the most common of the South American flamingos.

1690290736159.png

Now for a more out there suggestion... A penguin. Specifically the Humboldt penguin. Now this might seem outlandish, "it would compete with the DLC" I hear you say. First of all, did the red deer compete with the Europe DLC because of the fallow deer? Or even with the reindeer? No, clearly it was ok by Frontier because those DLC were reasonably old at that point so most people who were interested would have bought them already. I think its probably the same with the penguins, plus the Aquatic and Africa DLC have other "must-have" animals in them like the seal and the meerkat! A penguin could help bring back some people who bought the base game and maybe get them to check out the DLC, maybe the red deer did the same. This is probably a long shot though. Anyway, I suggest the Humboldt penguin because it would be a reskin of the African penguin and help to give South America some more representation.

1690291241513.png

So, probably not the most interesting analysis but considering the data we have from the past two years I think it is decently realistic if a bit boring. If we get rid of my continent or taxonomic rule based on the two past animals we can open it up a bit more... Lowland Tapir, Tufted Capuchin, Demoiselle Crane, African Spurred Tortoise, Leopard Tortoise, even maybe Racoon Dog all spring to mind to me. My gut says no to the Rhea, unfortunately.

Don't expect anything grand for the anniversary animal, I think. The red deer made so much sense the more I've thought about it so I think we got a bit overly enthusiastic about it since it was decently requested and a very familiar species.

Still betting on a bear. Either sloth or American black. Not necessarily what I want (I mean, I'd be happy with the sloth bear, but it's not super high on my wishlist), but it's what I expect. We haven't had a new bear in ages, either (though if December is to be a highlands-themed "Continental Pack" like I think it will the spectacled bear is a possibility there).

Or a pheasant. I think a pheasant is a good candidate for the anniversary. Aside from the fact that Frontier seems to avoid adding new birds like the plague, getting a pheasant seems like a reasonable expectation. Something like the Himalayan monal, or even more basic like the green peafowl.
I may live in a region where American Black Bears are common, but between the two bears, my money's on the sloth bear. They're just much more different from other bears, and if they're capable of using it, I'd like to see another bear (or any animal for that matter) use the foraging wall feeding enrichment that only sun bears use.

I could definitely see them giving us a new flamingo (i.e., one of the species from the Americas). This would add to biodiversity and I think the American species are just different enough for people to be excited about it.

It would also be nice to have that come along with a new shop option (maybe Tiffany gets her own shop a la Bernie's bakes?) following the pattern of prior anniversary updates.

And, as always, getting some "remasters" of existing in-game animals would be a really nice treat for an anniversary!

Since we got 2 mammals in past anniversaris, why not a reptile or bird?
The spurred tortoise seems like it could be another good option, however the only doubt cast on it is the fact that it's quite a popular wishlist animal. That means Frontier wouldn't probably give it away for free. As for other reptiles, do we really want another crocodile or monitor lizard? Because let's be realistic, those are our choices.

The spurred tortoise seems like it could be another good option, however the only doubt cast on it is the fact that it's quite a popular wishlist animal. That means Frontier wouldn't probably give it away for free. As for other reptiles, do we really want another crocodile or monitor lizard? Because let's be realistic, those are our choices.
Ooh I wanna another monitor. I will take all the monitors I can get. And an African croc or Cuban croc I wouldn't mind for some diversity. I mean look at the antelope diversity we just got.

In terms of reptiles, the only habitat species I'd wish to see are

African Spurred Tortoise
Perentie
False Gharial
Soft shelled turtles

Otherwise, majority of the ones I'd love to see are exhibit box species like chameleons and snakes, which I'd love much to see on the anniversary in numbers 🤪

The reptile I wanted Planet Zoo to have will be perentie or other Australian monitor lizards.

I agree that the tortoise could be saved for a DLC since it is quite popular and we haven't got any tortoise since the base game, which increases its value in my opinion. I think that if we get a reptile for the anniversary gift, it would be an African crocodile. I wouldn't complain if that was the case.

I agree that the tortoise could be saved for a DLC since it is quite popular and we haven't got any tortoise since the base game, which increases its value in my opinion. I think that if we get a reptile for the anniversary gift, it would be an African crocodile. I wouldn't complain if that was the case.
Just out of curiosity, any specific preferences?
I for one prefer either the dwarf crocodile or the slender snout.

As a reptile person, a reptile or selection of reptiles would be great for an anniversary gift, maybe 3 habitat and 1 exhibit animal, all of which would be reptiles, a croc, a lizard, a turtle/tortoise and a snake. My dream if this scenario were to happen would be the following:

Nile Crocodile (H) (Alternatives would be the False Gharial, Cuban Crocodile, American Crocodile, Orinoco Crocodile, Philippine Crocodile, West African Slender-Snouted Crocodile, Dwarf Crocodile, Chinese Alligator, Black Caiman, Siamese Crocodile and Freshwater Crocodile.
Perentie (H)
African Spurred/Sulcata Tortoise (H)
King Cobra (EX)

All of which are requested and are pretty easy to make, Nile Croc and Spurred Tortoise scream ZT2 to me, the Perentie would be great for arid Australia representation, and the King Cobra needs no introduction.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, any specific preferences?
I for one prefer either the dwarf crocodile or the slender snout.
Since I'm not a professional, I think I would prefer the most iconic one, which is the Nile crocodile, even if it would be quite similar to the saltwater croc (but with a better model).

I mentioned the Red-Footed Tortoise up thread, do people think smaller tortoise species would be better as habitat or exhibit animals?

I mentioned the Red-Footed Tortoise up thread, do people think smaller tortoise species would be better as habitat or exhibit animals?
I wouldn't say why not for being habitat animals, like it would be nice if we even get more smaller reptiles. Same reason why I said soft shelled turtles for habitat animals

Top Bottom