Ultra + is a disgusting downgrade

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The Ultra + OP posted is quite blurry and very low resolution. I'll mark a particularly bad spot, where it's a jagged edge due to how low res it is.
View attachment 254063
But overall it's poor quality. Blurry, jagged edge, low details, lack of depths....

Not confirming or denying OP, I didn't visit many planets since patch 6. Just helping you to see since it was apparently not obvious enough :)
In my (anecdotal and personal) experience I am not seeing things this blurry or jagged stuff after update 6. At least not so far.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
In my (anecdotal and personal) experience I am not seeing things this blurry or jagged stuff after update 6. At least not so far.
Same here. I think the planets look absolutely stunning now.

There are still issues with LOD's, popping of organics and morphing terrain, but terrain quality, which this setting controls is amazing in my game.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Same here. I think the planets look absolutely stunning now.

There are still issues with LOD's, popping of organics and morphing terrain, but terrain quality, which this setting controls is amazing in my game.

Talking about LOD, so far in update 6 it has been quite good with barely noticeable popping for me when approaching or exiting planets. Very smooth. Here an example I just recorded:

Source: https://youtu.be/XfYVnxoalhA

Talking about LOD, so far in update 6 it has been quite good with barely noticeable popping for me when approaching or exiting planets. Very smooth. Here an example I just recorded:

Source: https://youtu.be/XfYVnxoalhA
I agree, I've experienced that as well post update 6. FDev did a good job here. But let us not discuss that. Let us fiddle with graphics settings to something that shows off the bad in the most glaring way we can and post, for that is much more interesting.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Flog away.

This thread:

splitting-hairs.jpg

Title is a bit melodramatic, but I'd like to add that there are some of us that are in fact experiencing a loss of terrain detail since update 6. I've posted a set of shots as well. It's really odd that it's only effecting some of us, perhaps only those that were using Ultraforcapture previously, ot using certain hardware (I'm using a 3070). I posted an issue in the tracker for this (Ultra+ terrain broken). There have been great improvements with this patch, no doubt, but I miss the super high res planet surfaces at low orbit. Something was definitely downgraded visually to gain the fps, and sadly it's not something we can get back in a setting.

Last edited:
Update 6 has brought some issues I had not had before. On atmospheric landables, the atmospheric haze on approach in supercruise appears black, all the way into exiting glide, and then finally the atmosphere color pops in. Graininess and low res textures galore. Everything on ultra with the new Ultra+ on an RTX 3090. I am getting decent frame rates, but it just does not look great. A definite step backwards from Update 5.

edit: it appears that switching from analysis mode after mapping into combat mode allows for atmosphere colors to show all the way down, but when in analysis mode, it just stays black.

Last edited:
Title is a bit melodramatic, but I'd like to add that there are some of us that are in fact experiencing a loss of terrain detail since update 6.
It's been like this since EDO's launch; a few seem to have the game operate properly, but a lot don't. But for some reason this encourages the mega-fans to imply that the people "complaining" MUST be doing it out of some hidden agenda or spite and are lying about their experience. I see it in every thread regarding planet quality; it's two "tribes" battling it out: the "it works fine for me so ur just doing it wrong" tribe and the "I literally can't get it to work" tribe.

I really dont want to go into the my pic / your pic debate because it goes nowhere, but after up6 I have indeed seen lots of planets with the detail you show in the first pics you have here. Example:

OHjILn3.jpg

wYrfa3v.jpg

Vhe28mu.jpg
Thans. I very much agree with the pragmatic view. You gave me the motivation to visit more planets to see whether it changed the underlying mechanism of ulfc or enabled the mapping model of horizon due to a bug.

The Ultra + OP posted is quite blurry and very low resolution. I'll mark a particularly bad spot, where it's a jagged edge due to how low res it is.
View attachment 254063
But overall it's poor quality. Blurry, jagged edge, low details, lack of depths....

Not confirming or denying OP, I didn't visit many planets since patch 6. Just helping you to see since it was apparently not obvious enough :)
In fact, the focus should not be on these stories. What I want to express is that this is a landing recording planet in Odyssey. This is a change in the underlying mechanism. Whether the pixels are clear or not, this is the way the horizon renders the planet. Odyssey ULFC was originally directly displayed in real mountains, convex mountains rather than planes. I also have a near earth screenshot to show this problem, It's just that I'm not sure if it's just a single case bug.
QQ图片20210802102833.jpg

It's been like this since EDO's launch; a few seem to have the game operate properly, but a lot don't. But for some reason this encourages the mega-fans to imply that the people "complaining" MUST be doing it out of some hidden agenda or spite and are lying about their experience. I see it in every thread regarding planet quality; it's two "tribes" battling it out: the "it works fine for me so ur just doing it wrong" tribe and the "I literally can't get it to work" tribe.
I'm sorry that I used to be in the "good work" camp. I can't understand those low image quality. I run the highest image quality with more than 60 frames and took thousands of screenshots for this, but now I have to rethink this question. Is it the degradation of all planets or some? There is no doubt that my planet has been downgraded, but if it is not all downgraded, it may be just some kind of bug... I hope he's just a bug.

I visited some star systems, and then this planet is almost the same as ulfc. Except for some strange things in the low earth orbit, it has no definition of ulfc at all. It looks like a state of superposition of two layers of mapping and model, and the mapping is the mosaic blur mentioned above. I guess the new optimization combines ulfc and horizon mapping planet mode, Replace part of the terrain accuracy with a mapping, and then generate a bug, causing some planets to only load horizon mapping...

Well, if this is just a bug, then I'm very happy...

Praea Eurl JI-O b37-0 (20210802-110219) (HighRes).jpgPraea Eurl JI-O b37-0 (20210802-111305) (HighRes).jpgPraea Eurl JI-O b37-0 (20210802-111901) (HighRes).jpgPraea Eurl JI-O b37-0 (20210802-110326) (HighRes).jpg

OK, I v been explored nearly 100 star systems, again, from the perspective of near earth orbit, most of them have very poor image quality, which is far lower than that of ULFC. Even the bird's-eye view of the star model in low earth orbit is also the level of ULTRA. I think ULTRA+ only adds pixel layers on the basis of ULTRA, and the ULFClevel image quality in near earth orbit has been completely abandoned
Blu Theia HD-R b6-0 (20210803-114409).jpg
Blu Theia HD-R b6-0 (20210803-114424).jpg
EliteDangerous64 2021-08-02 12-26-32.jpg
EliteDangerous64 2021-08-02 14-12-21.jpg

This is a screenshot of my previous use of ULFCmode in low earth orbit,
It can be seen that due to the high-precision model, there are close to the real details, and there will be no high gloss surface like a toy caused by the low model
Pro Eurl SL-Z b3-0 (20210609-015921) (2k).jpg

Update 6 has brought some issues I had not had before. On atmospheric landables, the atmospheric haze on approach in supercruise appears black, all the way into exiting glide, and then finally the atmosphere color pops in.

No, that's how it works now for everybody, the "heat map" setting turns off the atmosphere, that used to happen until you entered glide and the "heat map" mode ended, then you would see the atmosphere during glide, but some players weren't happy that the heat map turned off so high and wanted it to be present lower down until glide ended. If you want to see the atmosphere in glide mode or higher just switch to combat HUD mode. This change was listed in the patch notes! You don't see the atmosphere at all in "heat map" mode.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
OK, I v been explored nearly 100 star systems, again, from the perspective of near earth orbit, most of them have very poor image quality, which is far lower than that of ULFC. Even the bird's-eye view of the star model in low earth orbit is also the level of ULTRA. I think ULTRA+ only adds pixel layers on the basis of ULTRA, and the ULFClevel image quality in near earth orbit has been completely abandoned
View attachment 254499View attachment 254500View attachment 254501
What are the planets in your first 3 pics?

I have to say the game runs well now very little issues in terms of frame rates but the graphics vary for me in terms of how good they look. One thing I loved about Elite is I could run Horizons maxed out at high res and it looked nice. Planets and surfaces look very good since patch 6 when the planet tech works, however ground settlements and the Odyssey stuff is clearly jagged and downscaled. I cannot run on Ultra Quality performance I'm on Quality with shadows on medium everything else High/Ultra.

I hope that this isn't the long term fix from Frontier and they'll tweak the culling or whatever it is. 60-70fps on a GTX1080 using the same engine from Horizons is disappointing! I fully understand why they've done this as a temp fix allowing things to render differently.

It doesn't spoil Elite for me completely but I've always been blown away by the visuals and that feeling is hampered a little. I know there was that software engineer who did a massive analysis on reddit but is loading a few extra graphics really to blame for the utterly bad performance?

I'm slowing growing to love Odyssey and enjoying it for the most part but this needs more work.

What are the planets in your first 3 pics?
they all Icy body,the problem is not to enter the planet, but low earth orbit, which is obviously different from ulfc, and it is everywhere. There is no need for special search... I have been playing games with the highest image quality. There should be no setting problems. Even I turned off FSR and now turned on supersampling 2.0

For me the sharpness is way up from Horzions, which is a good thing in general, but jaggedness is more apparent.

Regarding AMD Ultra quality setting, i've found it give me a bit of a performance increase without any serious drop in quality.

Still not really good enough to enjoy playing, but getting there.

Definitely seems like there is still something that needs major optimization. People can bang on about me having a potato graphics card, but i can run games that look much better than Odyssey and have a lot more going on graphically at a stable 60 FPS. Skyrim for example.

Top Bottom