Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

This comment / reply is literally everywhere people are talking about this update, every few minutes. It's one indication of how incoherent this update is from both a narrative and gameplay perspective. It just doesn't make sense.
Well, tbh it's not entirely incoherent.
It's impossible to use Guardian weapons against Thargoids in HIP something both in Odyssey and in Horizons - only for different reasons.
(In Horizons your weapons won't get disabled, but there are simply no Thargoids there to shoot at.) :)

Watched a certain Frontier approved Youtuber....

Felt good unsubscribing from that particular streamer.
While we're on the topic, and thanks for bringing it up, I found it particularly ...telling to see the streamer(s) behind 'Operation Wych Hunt' and other in-game, ostensibly organic, player-driven response to Salvation hawking those Azimuth(!) paint jobs for the 'bold new era' of Elite.... like whaaat?

It's a game?
I mean, that is a true statement, can't argue with that.

(though unrelated to exploring the ways in which we're marketed to, or wondering just how organic and player-driven these things are. interesting topics for anyone with slightest interest in how this industry actually works)

(though unrelated to exploring the ways in which we're marketed to, or wondering just how organic and player-driven these things are. interesting topics for anyone with slightest interest in how this industry actually works)
Leaving out my comment above, as a player I don't particularly engage in CGs, probably because of spending so much time around the Colonia Nebula, or making 'adventures' for my group in the bubble. But, if a CG offers something I think might be fun, or useful to my play, I will engage with it, just because of the shiny... (although I did do the first Colonia Bridge CG in Colonia and reach the top10, that one was quite challenging to get the commodities needed!)

I absolutely HATED the thought of having to use a new Galaxy and System Map UI. But I'm finding it a lot more useful than the old one, bar a few glitches where it "forgets" settings. As to outfitting that's no better or worse really, just a different layout. Still wish we could group loadouts into sets that could be installed together, and the locations around the galaxy of multiple items aren't easy to see at a glance.
I'd just like to be able to turn off the blue lines again.

I'd just like to be able to turn off the blue lines again.
"Blue Lines" option is here:

1660164568341.png

The state of the checkbox doesn't get saved, though, for some stupid reason. So you gotta turn it back off every time you start the game. 😩

Last edited:
Yeah but we're heading in to tinfoil territory here, trying to obliquely imply the anti Salvation streamers you refer to are not what they seem.

I found it particularly ...telling to see the streamer(s) behind 'Operation Wych Hunt' and other in-game, ostensibly organic, player-driven response to Salvation hawking those Azimuth(!) paint jobs for the 'bold new era' of Elite.... like whaaat?
Whaaat? OMG!

It's a game. That's the answer. Wych hunt was a laugh, something to do. Why would they not host drops? Those streamers applied previously to be part of the fdev program to offer drops, once fdev had the system in place. That was this week.

Danke. Is that new? I guess I never looked before 13 because they didn't appear until 13.
I can't remember. I don't look at this part of the galmap much... I definitely wasn't seeing the blue lines before this patch. I know because I hate them and seeing them greatly diminishes my opinion of the galmap.

They're just a mess and I have no idea whatever information it is that they are meant to convey.

I know for a long time the hack to get those lines to disappear was to "select neither economic nor fastest" in the route plotting options (no longer works).

Danke. Is that new? I guess I never looked before 13 because they didn't appear until 13.

I can't remember. I don't look at this part of the galmap much... I definitely wasn't seeing the blue lines before this patch. I know because I hate them and seeing them greatly diminishes my opinion of the galmap.

They're just a mess and I have no idea whatever information it is that they are meant to convey.

I know for a long time the hack to get those lines to disappear was to "select neither economic nor fastest" in the route plotting options (no longer works).
Someone reported this in the issue tracker. They didn't catch that there's a new option to hide those lines, but it's still the same root issue. I added a confirmation to it, and hit on the option to hide the blue lines isn't being saved properly.

I think I watched some of that stream as well, after having played the game myself, to avoid spoilers. I saw something different than you I guess. There was a lot of new stuff and a lot of checking things out, and apart from stepping forward once in a while, I found the stream both entertaining and informative. I even spotted a few things on the way that I'd missed, and that I'm going to try later today.
I watched the same stream, well skipped a shedload but found out there was a whole other side to the game that I had never really discovered or looked at, I knew it was there but paid it zero attention bar the guardian sites for FSD things :) Watching and thinking W T F more than once, why have I never done any of this with any interest or gusto, four years in on n off I found something that looks really interesting that I may have to pay some attention to in the future.

IDK, I rarely if ever watch game streams maybe that should change!

Last edited:
I’m surprised there hasn’t been any official statement yet to confirm if the discrepancies in the HIP system between Horizons and EDO are intentional or a bug.
Differences like that have been happening for months with no acknowledgement from Frontier.

Top Bottom