Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

Thanks for pointing out the typo. Well done.

Not too sure what you want me to try again as your reply to my previous comment was a bit bizarrely aggressive.
Typo... Okay, bit of a stretch but i don't care, the Queen does though and she has corgies.
Anyhoo, not even remotely aggressive, the mods would know.
Just explain what you are trying to say, all i've ever asked for.

And why we all fly out to HIP 22460 ahead of the event, knowing full well that we'll probably end up being logged out when it happens because of Real Life (TM)...

Typo... Okay, bit of a stretch but i don't care, the Queen does though and she has corgies.

Unless I’m completely off base, he means whatever this event is going to be, a lot of people are likely to miss it, because real life takes priority over playing video games. Especially if the in-game event is scheduled to happen:
  • on a Tuesday
  • between the hours of 7am to 5pm, when most people are at work or school
But just in case, he’s going out there anyways.

I would be surprised if this is going to be a momentary event that we could miss. Rather, I would suspect that this will be some sort of mother of all CGs type affair so as many players as possible have the chance to get involved in (and feel like they've been a part of) the ending of the story arc.

Does this mean we're all gonna be forced to have the performance of Odyssey? I own Odyssey but I only play in Horizons because I'm a VR player. Even on a pretty decent computer, the performance of Odyssey in VR is unacceptable. Plus, the flattened planets aren't fun to fly around. Horizons is better in any meaningful way in my opinion.

Buying Odyssey was a pretty big regret, and I much prefer staying in Horizons. Is this going to be essentially impossible to do now? I assume so, and that we'll not have the landscapes and performance of Horizons anymore.

I understand if you don't bring future updates/fixes to Horizons, but hopefully we can still access it without being forced to deal with the changes of Odyssey.
No, it means you have the choice and nobody is forced.
As it is said "You will still be able to launch Elite in version 3.8 if you choose.".
So, you can still enjoy Horizons 3.8 with the performance of Horizons.
That is probably what I will do.

Unless I’m completely off base, he means whatever this event is going to be, a lot of people are likely to miss it, because real life takes priority over playing video games. Especially if the in-game event is scheduled to happen:
  • on a Tuesday
Ahh, the voice of reason, but i did say they run for a bit, lost on some it seems.
No biggee.
:)

• on a Tuesday
Yup, that was it, as opposed to whatever paranoid slight it was interpreted as.

I can always do home office that day I suppose...

First rule of ED events:

"However long running and well advertised an event is, someone will always turn up five minutes after it finishes to complain it wasn't on for long enough and wasn't well publicised. And it was the wrong event. And it was rubbish."

:)

This time it won't be me 😇
I'm in vacation next week and i'll be lurking around home for the entire week - so i'll be able to enjoy the full glory of "never play on patch day" mantra

This time it won't be me 😇
I'm in vacation next week and i'll be lurking around home for the entire week - so i'll be able to enjoy the full glory of "never play on patch day" mantra
I’m in the same boat. By sheer coincidence, I’ll be donating blood Monday, and I always take the next couple of days off just to relax. I think this’ll be the first “big ingame event” I’ve ever actually been able to participate in. Most are scheduled during British prime time during the week, which is smack dab in the middle of first shift here in the center of the USA.

Having said that, due to the inevitable launch day problems, the actual event will be rescheduled to Friday… ;)

Last edited:
This is not what needs to be read again. It's the post from months back where it clearly states no more updates for consoles.

This announcement and updates literally do not mention console but does specifically mention PC. Nowhere does U13 mention all platforms is all I'm saying.

I'm aware of Obsidianants video where he reached out and got a response. Thing is...he's been given inaccurate information before and so until I see something official I don't think they are changing directions on no more console updates.

I believe what they meant was the news or maybe a community goal event may touch consoles but unless they specifically update the console servers, even if they update Horizons, consoles won't get it which seemingly is why they further mention moving PC to a new launcher

Remember console is getting a chance to copy our progress and stuff to PC in 60 days or so
Odyssey and codebase 4.0 is specifically what Consoles will not get (Codebase 4.0 is what Braben meant by "moving the story forwards"). If 3.8 code base can experience the end of the Azimuth saga then it means console players could as well, which you could extrapolate meaning no new functionality or gameplay types in U13, I wouldnt call say a new art asset plonked on an airless Horizons era moon as such.

Last edited:
Its called progress, we are moving forward, Horizons is history.
“This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.”
Walter Benjamin, Theses on the Philosophy of History, 1940

Can't quite put my finger on why this seems so appropriate in this context.

“This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.”
Walter Benjamin, Theses on the Philosophy of History, 1940

Can't quite put my finger on why this seems so appropriate in this context.
The pile of debris is the empty Thargoid husks...

• on a Tuesday
I think the server update is scheduled 08:00-11:00 UTC so absolutely nothing is happening till afternoon except checking when we can download the patch...

4.0 is likely based on a fork of 3.8 with a major update of the planetary rendering engine, as well the addition of on-foot game play. The new on-foot game play in EDO is separated from the older EDH game play at two 'choke points' - the disembark option in ships and SRV's and the on-foot materials inventory screen. Disable or 'hide' those for EDH-only game owners and in effect you have an EDH client running on 4.0. And that is how you run ED and EDH as 4.0.

Additional content that has been subsequently added to 4.0 - specifically the Scorpion and the multi-purpose limpets - could also be disabled/hidden, but whether as a sign of good faith and/or because it's too much trouble to do this, means that these will now also be available for EDH players. 3.8 will likely be phased out over the next few months, so if you enjoy canyon racing, best get that all out of your system now, unless you're a console player.
Hopefully we get those two little bits of "good faith" on consoles before they switch us to bug fix only patches! :0 :D .

Top Bottom