Walkthrough: Guardian Module Blueprints

I was working through this last night.
I think in total I had about 6 sentries to take care of, maybe more.
They seemed to spawn after every couple of orb charges, and then with the final unlock of the data orb I turned around and there were three!
o7

I was working through this last night.
I think in total I had about 6 sentries to take care of, maybe more.
They seemed to spawn after every couple of orb charges, and then with the final unlock of the data orb I turned around and there were three!
o7

I think this will be my next "big thing" soon. I just unlocked Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn last night. Almost lost my ship at a Nav beacon, aggro'd the wrong deadly NPC, he hit me with something listed as a "hazardous substance", not sure what that was but I got away with 9% hull left. I later found a high res and got about 216k in vouchers, more than enough to unlock McQuinn.

I'll give the Guardians a go by myself, I do have a ship with a PD which helps from what I've read here and elsewhere.

I think this will be my next "big thing" soon. I just unlocked Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn last night. Almost lost my ship at a Nav beacon, aggro'd the wrong deadly NPC, he hit me with something listed as a "hazardous substance", not sure what that was but I got away with 9% hull left. I later found a high res and got about 216k in vouchers, more than enough to unlock McQuinn.

I'll give the Guardians a go by myself, I do have a ship with a PD which helps from what I've read here and elsewhere.

An effective ship for Guardian blueprints is the DBX - cheap, cool running, good jump range and being small is easier to find a landing site close to the ruins. Also 2 top mounted utilities are perfect for PD units :) The only downer is the small slot (4) to fit a fuel scoop in, not the quickest refill but compensated by low running temperature.

Last edited:
An effective ship for Guardian blueprints is the DBX - cheap, cool running, good jump range and being small is easier to find a landing site close to the ruins. Also 2 top mounted utilities are perfect for PD units :) The only downer is the small slot (4) to fit a fuel scoop in, not the quickest refill but compensated by low running temperature.

Aww, I was going to take my Cobra Mk III, just to make it hard on myself. :) Probably not a bad idea to invest and upgrade a class 5 FSD, I currently have only small ships with class 4 and class 3 slots.

So do you think 2 PD units would be part of a good build?

Aww, I was going to take my Cobra Mk III, just to make it hard on myself. :) Probably not a bad idea to invest and upgrade a class 5 FSD, I currently have only small ships with class 4 and class 3 slots.

So do you think 2 PD units would be part of a good build?

I like the Cobra :) 2 PD points is just a nice balance, they do fire fast enough singly but 2 minimises the reload risk :)

I like the Cobra :) 2 PD points is just a nice balance, they do fire fast enough singly but 2 minimises the reload risk :)

Thanks, I'll work on a possible build. I can afford it but it will cut my liquid credits by about 1/2. Just wish I had more free time, I'd like to earn more credits for a bigger ships, do more mat gathering and engineering, tryout the new mining, I would have liked to go on the DW2 expedition, some many things to do, so little time.

I've not done much combat, and so had never really thought about point defence until reading these guides. A couple on the top of my DBX parked right next to the ruins was brilliant!
I did have a few hairy moments when my SRV spawned on an invisible hill - then my ship took off and left me there after the game caught up to the issue and dropped me from a few metres in the air. I didn't realise you cant recall a ship if you're within a certain distance of the ruins. Also learnt you cant scan things if you're TOO close.
Man - after a year of playing i've learnt so much in the past few days! Really not sure i can get the FSD booster in time for DW2 though - I think i'm gonna be scuppered by no being able to get focus crystals :(

When I scan the orb thingy I get a fragment of a blueprint not the whole thing. Why would that be? are you all getting a full blueprint from the single scan?

A weird question.

How do I know that I got the blueprint?

The thing is, when I arrived at the Guardian site, someone else was already opening the sphere and after they scanned it, I also could from my ship.

Several discovery codex entries popped up on my screen but I have no idea if I have the blueprint or not. Can I check somewhere?

A weird question.

How do I know that I got the blueprint?

The thing is, when I arrived at the Guardian site, someone else was already opening the sphere and after they scanned it, I also could from my ship.

Several discovery codex entries popped up on my screen but I have no idea if I have the blueprint or not. Can I check somewhere?

If you look in your inventory, under “data”, you should see “Guardian Module Blueprint Segment” if you got it.

Thanks for this great write-up but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I"ve done this three times now, once on Synuefe and once on HD 63154. I had scanned the orb at HD and actually flown back to collect the rest of the items (focus crystals etc.) only to find out at the Tech broker that I didn't have the blueprint segment data! [mad] When I scan it says "Guardian Data terminal, no new traits found."And I have no Guardian blueprints in my data. I've followed the videos and guides exactly so I'm starting to think this is bugged for me for some reason. Any ideas CMDR's?

Last edited:
Thanks for this great write-up but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I"ve done this three times now, once on Synuefe and once on HD 63154. I had scanned the orb at HD and actually flown back to collect the rest of the items (focus crystals etc.) only to find out at the Tech broker that I didn't have the blueprint segment data! [mad] When I scan it says "Guardian Data terminal, no new traits found."And I have no Guardian blueprints in my data. I've followed the videos and guides exactly so I'm starting to think this is bugged for me for some reason. Any ideas CMDR's?

Which scanner did you scan the Guardian terminal with? Your SRV is equipped with two scanners, whereas one scanner takes longer to finish the scan. I think the data link scanner should get you the blueprint.
If you have them both in the same fire group, notice that the composition scanner finishes before the data link scanner.

Last edited:
Thanks for this guide. I planing to got that FSD booster and I have some question. My principles makes the game much harder. So I don't want to kill sentinels. Is it possible to got Guardian Module Blueprint Segment using my ship? One man said about that possibility here. Is it possible with this Guardian structure? Will be enough 3 point defence units and 3A shield for my DBX to fully ignorance the sentinels? And what is the best site (structure, system) for my plan? May you recommend another star system?

Thanks again :)

P.S. I did it! Without any shots to sentinels. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom