Well - that was - Uhmmm - Exciting...

... and quite possibly the most fun I've ever had playing ED. Better even than when 2 Cobras piloted by CMDR's jumped me.

Anyway - out of the clear blue sky (I didn't search on the topic) YOUTUBE recommended a video about how to do FED/EMPIRE ranking - fast, real fast. I was in the business at the time of casually strolling around the galaxy gathering up rep to get promoted to Rear Admiral for the Federation. Slowly, read that as snail like :cool:.

The video was by a German YouTuber (can't think of his name) and it showed that if you went to a station allied to the Fed that was recently attacked by those insect thugs the Thargoids, one could transfer out from the station to a rescue ship the folks jumping the station like rats on a sinking ship. Sounded like a cool thing do. There was some video of a burning station on the inside. Didn't make an impression. I'll give that a try, I thought.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

Picked a fed system with the recently attacked icon and flew there in my Type 7 - The Happy Mule - and headed for the station in trouble. Note just in trouble - I thought - figured I'd land, load up all passenger cabins and move on - EASY right? MAN! Was I wrong. As soon as I dropped out of supercruise near the affected station a message from the pilots federation is at the top of the screen telling me basicly, NO SIGHT SEEING! If ya ain't here to help then kindly get the HELL out of dodge so real heroes can do their work. OKAY. Not a problem. I was there to help.

Sooooo...

I contacted the station and requested landing permission. The next thing I hear is a semi-panicked, scared to death flight controller (sounded to me like FD had the voice actor locked in a room, lit it on fire and told him - read your lines and make it real or we'll turn up the heat even higher). Most real voice acting I ever heard in ED. I won't repeat it. Don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't been in the situation yet.

Still - I had yet to appreciate the real gravity of the situation. Got assigned a landing pad and give orders on what to do when I got there. Lined up on the slot and flew my Krait-Phantom thru the slot. I could see the destruction as I was flying thru - it was bad - I just didn't know how bad (though I should have - more on that later). On entering the inside of the station I saw floating wreckage from at least 3 ships, one a very big one. There was smoke and flames every where and a dimly lit red foggy atmosphere. It was noisey - at least I think it was, not sure, had other more important things to concentrate on at the time and sight seeing wasn't one of them. It took a second or two to get my bearings and to find the pad I been assigned and it was marked "reserved" which made me hesitate - was there a mistake, was I gonna get shot down for landing there? But I was committed - the fire and explosions were causing me to rapidly - and I mean very, very fast take on heat. Dumped a heat sink around 120% and my EDDI computerized friend was screaming at me to drop a heat sink dummy, now! (really, I've done some serious editing on the EDDI voice). I got to the landing pad and entered the hangar - still heating up... BUT I WAS IN the HANGAR - couldn't dump another HS. Went immediately to the Passenger lounge and as quickly as I could loaded up every passenger I could. At least 128 maybe 144 (however many a Krait Phantom could hold with every slot except a couple or 3 not fitted with Passenger Cabins).

As soon as I reached fully loaded I punched the launch button and then immediately deployed a Heat Sink (ship was at 220% heat at the time - that was a first - highest ever before that was 180) rapid cool down and my EDDI computer voice stopped yelling at me). Didn't take long though until she started up again. I boosted out of the station and released my last heat sink, turned off FA and coasted for a bit (actually more than a bit and it cost me over a million and a half credits - those that have been in this situation should be able to figure out why). Headed for the rescue ship and unloaded the passengers. 16 missions worth 3 Plus rep per mission. My fed rep jumped from a bit over 75 to 98 or so just like that. Pilot rank went up a bit. Did 3 more missions, ended up with pilot rank going from 26% to 51% (was expecting more). Fed rep went to 100 after 2nd time and who know where after the 3rd. Understandably the 2nd and 3rd missions were exact reapeats of the first and didn't have the impact that the first did - still fun - but no real impact.

Now here's the really cool part.

Back Story:You see I served in the US Navy for 10 years. Even though I was an electronics tech, on the 2nd ship I served on I got assigned to the Damage Control Fire Fighting team. Training for that was very, very realistic but obviously not the real thing. You knew you weren't gonna die and unless you did something really stupid wouldn't get burned. It was realistic enough, though, that I knew I never wanted to experience the real thing, ever.

Anyway: While I was drifting along, FA off, for about 5 seconds the memory of that very realistic training (the training took place in a facility built to be a ship, with boilers, living compartments, electronics areas, etc) returned and I was back in fire fighting training, something I hadn't thought about at all in the 36 years since I had taken it .

NOW THAT WAS a GREAT SCENARIO that could bring back memories of a real life experience. In real life I don't imagine the destruction as depicted in the ED scenario would be that big of a deal. Just turn the shield off in front of the slot and let the hurricane of air leaving the docking area clean out the fire and all the debris with it. But where would the fun be in that?

I don't have too many memorable gaming exeriences. Only been jump scared once and I remember that quite clearly. The other time was in ED when two Cobras jumped me and the last time was today and the one today will be remembered along with the rest as memories that make gaming worth more than just killing time. It takes a lot to get a rise out of me but that's two for ED and One for the very first Resident Evil.

Here's hoping ED can rise to the occasion again...

Last edited:
DtmkUtSWkAcu8l0

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...y-Good-Stuff?p=7421430&viewfull=1#post7421430

Last edited:
... and quite possibly the most fun I've ever had playing ED. Better even than when 2 Cobras piloted by CMDR's jumped me.

Anyway - out of the clear blue sky (I didn't search on the topic) YOUTUBE recommended a video about how to do FED/EMPIRE ranking - fast, real fast. I was in the business at the time of casually strolling around the galaxy gathering up rep to get promoted to Rear Admiral for the Federation. Slowly, read that as snail like :cool:.

The video was by a German YouTuber (can't think of his name) and it showed that if you went to a station allied to the Fed that was recently attacked by those insect thugs the Thargoids, one could transfer out from the station to a rescue ship the folks jumping the station like rats on a sinking ship. Sounded like a cool thing do. There was some video of a burning station on the inside. Didn't make an impression. I'll give that a try, I thought.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

Picked a fed system with the recently attacked icon and flew there in my Type 7 - The Happy Mule - and headed for the station in trouble. Note just in trouble - I thought - figured I'd land, load up all passenger cabins and move on - EASY right? MAN! Was I wrong. As soon as I dropped out of supercruise near the affected station a message from the pilots federation is at the top of the screen telling me basicly, NO SIGHT SEEING! If ya ain't here to help then kindly get the HELL out of dodge so real heroes can do their work. OKAY. Not a problem. I was there to help.

Sooooo...

I contacted the station and requested landing permission. The next thing I hear is a semi-panicked, scared to death flight controller (sounded to me like FD had the voice actor locked in a room, lit it on fire and told him - read your lines and make it real or we'll turn up the heat even higher). Most real voice acting I ever heard in ED. I won't repeat it. Don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't been in the situation yet.

Still - I had yet to appreciate the real gravity of the situation. Got assigned a landing pad and give orders on what to do when I got there. Lined up on the slot and flew my Krait-Phantom thru the slot. I could see the destruction as I was flying thru - it was bad - I just didn't know how bad (though I should have - more on that later). On entering the inside of the station I saw floating wreckage from at least 3 ships, one a very big one. There was smoke and flames every where and a dimly lit red foggy atmosphere. It was noisey - at least I think it was, not sure, had other more important things to concentrate on at the time and sight seeing wasn't one of them. It took a second or two to get my bearings and to find the pad I been assigned and it was marked "reserved" which made me hesitate - was there a mistake, was I gonna get shot down for landing there? But I was committed - the fire and explosions were causing me to rapidly - and I mean very, very fast take on heat. Dumped a heat sink around 120% and my EDDI computerized friend was screaming at me to drop a heat sink dummy, now! (really, I've done some serious editing on the EDDI voice). I got to the landing pad and entered the hangar - still heating up... BUT I WAS IN the HANGAR - couldn't dump another HS. Went immediately to the Passenger lounge and as quickly as I could loaded up every passenger I could. At least 128 maybe 144 (however many a Krait Phantom could hold with every slot except a couple or 3 not fitted with Passenger Cabins).

As soon as I reached fully loaded I punched the launch button and then immediately deployed a Heat Sink (ship was at 220% heat at the time - that was a first - highest ever before that was 180) rapid cool down and my EDDI computer voice stopped yelling at me). Didn't take long though until she started up again. I boosted out of the station and released my last heat sink, turned off FA and coasted for a bit (actually more than a bit and it cost me over a million and a half credits - those that have been in this situation should be able to figure out why). Headed for the rescue ship and unloaded the passengers. 16 missions worth 3 Plus rep per mission. My fed rep jumped from a bit over 75 to 98 or so just like that. Pilot rank went up a bit. Did 3 more missions, ended up with pilot rank going from 26% to 51% (was expecting more). Fed rep went to 100 after 2nd time and who know where after the 3rd. Understandably the 2nd and 3rd missions were exact reapeats of the first and didn't have the impact that the first did - still fun - but no real impact.

Now here's the really cool part.

Back Story:You see I served in the US Navy for 10 years. Even though I was an electronics tech, on the 2nd ship I served on I got assigned to the Damage Control Fire Fighting team. Training for that was very, very realistic but obviously not the real thing. You knew you weren't gonna die and unless you did something really stupid wouldn't get burned. It was realistic enough, though, that I knew I never wanted to experience the real thing, ever.

Anyway: While I was drifting along, FA off, for about 5 seconds the memory of that very realistic training (the training took place in a facility built to be a ship, with boilers, living compartments, electronics areas, etc) returned and I was back in fire fighting training, something I hadn't thought about at all in the 36 years since I had taken it .

NOW THAT WAS a GREAT SCENARIO that could bring back memories of a real life experience. In real life I don't imagine the destruction as depicted in the ED scenario would be that big of a deal. Just turn the shield off in front of the slot and let the hurricane of air leaving the docking area clean out the fire and all the debris with it. But where would the fun be in that?

I don't have too many memorable gaming exeriences. Only been jump scared once and I remember that quite clearly. The other time was in ED when two Cobras jumped me and the last time was today and the one today will be remembered along with the rest as memories that make gaming worth more than just killing time. It takes a lot to get a rise out of me but that's two for ED and One for the very first Resident Evil.

Here's hoping ED can rise to the occasion again...

That was well worth reading .... all of it .... +1

Awesome post!
I remember my first rescue attempt.

Anaconda with about 400000 heatsinks. :D

Went surprisingly well. Al round good job by FD.

My only complaint is we never see Thargoids actually attacking stations.

If you had to dock, while dodging Thargoids, while keeping your heat down, and then escape to the rescue ship, which is also under attack, but a security force/players are holding them off , that'd be a proper rescue!

If you had to dock, while dodging Thargoids, while keeping your heat down, and then escape to the rescue ship, which is also under attack, but a security force/players are holding them off , that'd be a proper rescue!

Attacked megaship scenarios.

If they're switched on.
If you get the option with the thargoids.

Also great fun, if you can beat the rng of the scenario spawn.

Thanks, OP for sharing. The rescue missions are brilliant in that they require some skill. Induce urgency in execution and do all that without resorting to combat.

Cheers
DZ

Nice one OP

It was well done and the first time doing it there was a real sense of danger.

This sort of gameplay, scenarios generated by stuff happening in the galaxy was what I hoped ED would have a lot more of.

Great post! I just would like to add to this passage i quoted: yes, doing that would vent out the air and debris and extinguish the fires. But while the absence of air indeed will kill the fires, it might also be not the healthiest option for the people inside, which are still alive.

My only complaint is we never see Thargoids actually attacking stations.

Unfortunately everything actually dangerous has to be locked behind at more than three layers of warning signs and opting in mechanics. Remember the Gnosis. It was known that it would travel to Thargoid space. Galnet reported masses of Thargoids, including new versions, at the destination area. Eagle Eye reported the Gnosis to be detected as Thargoid primary target.

Everybody who was not completely braindead knew what was coming. I brought by AspX back to the bubble and returned with an AX-fitted ship. GluttonyFang and his AX-Initiative people crowded the ship. Then the ship jumped and FD did exactly what people wanted for a long time: create a scenario where Thargoids are actually attacking. So instead of Thargoids hiding in NHSS and people having to come for them, the Thargoids were active there.

What should have been greeted with enthusiasm instead was answered by rivers of tears. The wailing was still heard many lightyears away. It seems like a significant part of the community is all for dangerous content under the condition that it does not affect them. So opting in seems to be required. I don't expect FD to dare to give us such a scenario again, where Thargoids actively attack, without several layers of protection for all players.

Sylow: I've been playing ED since Jan 2015. Daily for the longest time but usually only on weekends for the past 6 months or so and I am completely clueless concerning this opt in thing. Are you speaking of Solo/PVE/Open or is there some other mechanic?

Now - I'm not one to seek out dangerous situations but don't shy from them when they rear their ugly heads. And as I posted they can be fun, exciting while being dangerous. So if there's an opt in I'm missing I'd like to know about it and how to check the right boxes.

What i mean is that you can go to the most dangerous places in the galaxy. As long as you don't provoke trouble, it won't come to you.

I mean, just go to any system which currently is under Thargoid attack. There are non human signal sources all over the place or there are combat zones. They are filled to the brim with Thargoids. But as long as you don't decide to enter there, you can roam around unharmed. No Thargoid will ever attack you before you decide to use the switch to go to fight them.

It just is inconsistent. They invade a system, but decide to just linger there and wait to be attacked...

Last edited:
Nice story WW13. I've run a couple of those missions and they are fun. But, were you in the Type-7 or Phantom? Sorry, that kinda jumped out at me.

GL HF Commander Werewolf13

Top Bottom