Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Definitely an option. Not sure if it would be one for me, but I only tried this once when i bought an unexpensive mp3-player that came with earbuds (no ANC, that was just entering the high end headphone market back then). Sound was good, but on a hot day, they would slip out of my ear.
Or the way opposite end with big cans that sit over/around the whole ear, not against it.
My ears get a heatstroke from just thinking about that.
Or pair bluetooth aux out to your neuralink. Old fashioned? Run 1/4" gold stereo cables from the neuralink to the eardrums
That sound more like the way. Alas, I'm not that advanced... Maybe the generation that would be my great-grandkids (if I had kids) would see that as their normal way to listen to anything.

On another note, I just installed the RAM. I was shocked how quick programs would load now.
I also blasted the cooling system with some compressed air, but it wasn't as dirty as I anticipated.
I learnt that one a long time ago (win 95 time), so many machines are sold without enough memory and cheap video cards, its surprising how much more life you can get with a few minor upgrades, nowadays another upgrade option is upgrading from hard disk to solid state drive for primary drive.

I swear this is a new thing. I used to be able to Windows key out of a game and it'd be fine in the background with no noise.

I'm kind've a newbie though and only got back into 'gaming' during furlough. I'm no expert.

I see two possible reasons for this sound. Either some dust has settled on some parts of the fan blades, causing an imbalance. Or some debris got stuck in there, causing that sound.
Or if the fans were cheap enough and have enough usage the bearings could be wearing out again causing an imbalance.

You could always passively cool the tower by just stacking dry ice on it, when all the ice is gone it is time to shutdown. Best to be in a well ventilated room for this approach.

But dust on the fans and blocking filters is the first thing to check for.

.... stop my GPU fan sounding like an F-14 Tomcat from time to time as I switch to browser.

.... Long time ago I bought a pre-built PC in a sale and when I switched it on I was immediately transported back to my days on the squadron line - the urge to find ear-defenders was immediate. Long and short of it, the clods that built the thing had set it so all the fans were running full-tilt all the time. Simple thing to adjust the fan cooling profile but I wonder if any of their non-tech-minded customers now live with tinnitus. ;)

(edited for typo)

Last edited:
I learnt that one a long time ago (win 95 time), so many machines are sold without enough memory and cheap video cards, its surprising how much more life you can get with a few minor upgrades, nowadays another upgrade option is upgrading from hard disk to solid state drive for primary drive.
Yeah, I noticed this in recent times, too. At least this computer has an SSD - one of those in the small USB-stick size. M-something connection.
Back in the day, I would build the computer myself and I would always make sure I had enough memory.
This is my first laptop (technically my second, but the first one was completely underbuilt) and I had no options as I needed some form of computer stante pede for as few bucks as possible (particularly after the desaster with the first one) afer my PC had died due to some power grid failure during some nasty weather. I would have had it turned off, but the storm front was quite some kilometers away. We had still clear sky around our place. Nowadays, I have an UPS in between the wall socket and the computer.

I had a little test session and although the CPU still reaches 95°C maximum, the other components stay way cooler and the game runs smoothly with bearable loading times (aka changing from ship to SRV or foot), which is quite pleasant, given the room temperature is about 27°C.

Last edited:
I found Explorer's Anchorage was one of the human settlements at the center. It had a wonderful visitor beacon I believe it was from 3305. A familiar name, had heard of and never contemplated. Of course, at ExpAncho, missions were sparse (5 factions, 0 missions!); but Penny Noon still went out there and achieved, anyway! Finally a chance to use my lightweight burst honker ammo, and clean UP this historical stellar system. It had two yellow suns and a thin strip of consistent milkyway band 360 degrees all around characteristic of the freakin middle of a spiral galaxy.

TIE Liner makes port at Explorer's Anchorage, 3310-05-25

Get em waterproof and throw an ice cube in there nah you gotta use your head CMDR, the headband fit properly and cushions maybe should be rugged just do remember the basic equation,
1716661200804.png
Half a minute to wipe down the cushions and sides of your head and your ears will have their own private atmosphere separate from the suffering rest of your self. You know, maybe. Good luck well I mostly prefer to play with speakers until maybe someday I find or design a pair with a gyro or integrate with a headlooker to keep left and right channels from following my head. That's what I would like and with a configurable amount of acoustic transparency. Maybe in 3011

As the days heat up I am approaching a similar sweltering dilemma in a drafty cape cod attic. Anyway it's what I do personally for headphones in mucho humidity and compounded indoor greenhouse effect it gets up to 43 (110F) on the worst tolerable days. On the worst days of all we get nearly that high outside, and the only reason I go up there isn't Elite, but probably just to get my work laptop and find some shade

TALES FROM THE CRIB O7

What I was doing for the past week or so was hunting High Grade Emissions, Encoded Emissions and even Degraded Emissions in a system with a Manufactured Materials Trader using my old Orca Jackhammer which had been kitted out for this as well as helping out at Distress Signals what had changed was fitting an engineered SCO drive.

To be honest the SCO isn’t a huge advantage when you are far out where HGEs roam wild, space time is fairly smooth there so even without Overcharge you are up to hundreds of times the speed of light quickly, where it does help is getting out of all the rough ground at the middle of the system which is also handy when the next signal is out of the opposite side of the system.

What I have noticed is that every time I shut down the Overcharge the Gravity Well warning comes on, now that far out there was nothing to cause a well so I think the old argument is settled the warning is triggered by your warp bubble moving unsustainably fast for the local space time terrain and as that situation is normally caused by a gravity well that was what the warning was renamed now the SCO lets our warp bubble move so fast that when we drop out of the boost we are too fast for even smooth space time.

Now I am doing a little shooting in a RES to try out my Python Mk2 DuBois.
She is a dream to fly but the weapons aren’t altogether to my taste, the spool up before large multicannons actually fire is a touch annoying, the strength of the shields is great though.

To be honest the SCO isn’t a huge advantage when you are far out where HGEs roam wild, space time is fairly smooth there so even without Overcharge you are up to hundreds of times the speed of light quickly,
When I am back in the bubble I will jump around in uninhabited systems with single star and minimal or no planets for the lower grade mats because of the speed advantage of having no gravity wells to slow me down:)

On another note, I just installed the RAM. I was shocked how quick programs would load now.
I also blasted the cooling system with some compressed air, but it wasn't as dirty as I anticipated.
What RAM did you upgrade to and from? My Dell is limited to 32 and it's the last pre-built I'll buy.
.... Long time ago I bought a pre-built PC in a sale and when I switched it on I was immediately transported back to my days on the squadron line - the urge to find ear-defenders was immediate. Long and short of it, the clods that built the thing had set it so all the fans were running full-tilt all the time. Simple thing to adjust the fan cooling profile but I wonder if any of their non-tech-minded customers now live with tinnitus. ;)

(edited for typo)
Interesting. I think the 1080Ti did have a little fan but I bought a 3060 after the covid madness died down and I've never really thought about fan management. I'll have to look into that since it's quite large compared to the 1080.
What I was doing for the past week or so was hunting High Grade Emissions, Encoded Emissions and even Degraded Emissions in a system with a Manufactured Materials Trader using my old Orca Jackhammer which had been kitted out for this as well as helping out at Distress Signals what had changed was fitting an engineered SCO drive.
When I am back in the bubble I will jump around in uninhabited systems with single star and minimal or no planets for the lower grade mats because of the speed advantage of having no gravity wells to slow me down:)
What worthwhile benefit do you guys find from degraded emissions? It just seems like you get a load of junk to sell on the commodities market.

And I still can't figure out whether aRJay's joking about the dry ice thing.

What RAM did you upgrade to and from? My Dell is limited to 32 and it's the last pre-built I'll buy.
I doubled it from 8 to 16.
What worthwhile benefit do you guys find from degraded emissions?
They often have some encoded mats in store.
I usually leave those commodities where they are. 1) Because the Stargazer doesn't have the cargo space for this as well as 2) this stuff tends to attract pirates and the Stargazer isn't built for combat.
I'm pretty sure it was more tongue-in-cheek, but with a lingering probability in the background.
I do tend to carry on sometimes
That's okay.

Last edited:
Now I am doing a little shooting in a RES to try out my Python Mk2 DuBois.
She is a dream to fly but the weapons aren’t altogether to my taste, the spool up before large multicannons actually fire is a touch annoying, the strength of the shields is great though.
I have an all multi cannon P2 and it's not bad, but I got inspired by a youtube video and added 6 frag cannons, the large overcharged/incendiary, and the mediums overcharged/caustic/drag. It's a hoot in haz res and high cz!

dry ice packs seems like a great idea that might even help cool the core temperature of the melon

and remember to pour some vodka in the melon

1716694401649.png

Penny will visit Sagitarius A or B or whatever it is another time and heading off towards the magellenic clouds currently bearing towards a nebula in Eoch Grea AA-A. Then towards the cutting across the end of the Arcadian Stream region. To The Veils if it is passable, and reaching Mare Somnia. THEN see how the clouds look from THERE and if it isn't prettier than a thargoid exploding, well she'll eat 3T of hats.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION OF GALACTIC SITCH FOLLOWS
1716695703233.png

Well, if someone would ask what I did when Titan Hadad exploded, here's my answer:

FSetisi in the dark.jpg

I spent some time listening to the songs of Fungoida Setisis.

Searching for these in this labyrinth of ridges, peaks, valleys and whatever else this mountainous range could throw at me made me wish once more for an RCARV...
A Radio Controlled Aerial Reconnaissnce Vehicle - basically a faster drone with some additional sensors.
Although I like crawling around in mountain ranges with my SRV, in almost pitch black, it can get a little tiring.

Definitely an option. Not sure if it would be one for me, but I only tried this once when i bought an unexpensive mp3-player that came with earbuds (no ANC, that was just entering the high end headphone market back then). Sound was good, but on a hot day, they would slip out of my ear.

That sound more like the way. Alas, I'm not that advanced... Maybe the generation that would be my great-grandkids (if I had kids) would see that as their normal way to listen to anything.
You might want to have a look at this page. I'm using the AKG's as they're comfortable and they don't make my ears too hot. warm, but not hot. Sound is good for budget 'phones too and these are the cans I use on the PC.

On the other hand, in-ear buds reviews are here. I trust "What Hi-Fi", hence my links.

For music, which I primarily listed to on my 'phone (I'll get a hi-fi one day) I have these:

Interesting. I think the 1080Ti did have a little fan but I bought a 3060 after the covid madness died down and I've never really thought about fan management. I'll have to look into that since it's quite large compared to the 1080.

What worthwhile benefit do you guys find from degraded emissions? It just seems like you get a load of junk to sell on the commodities market.
I have almost every sort of cargo on the ignore list as unless I specifically want to collect it from space I consider it too much trouble, I visit degraded emissions occasionally just to top up the low grade mats without trading down and as something to do if there are no high grade around and the encoded are inconveniently located.

That makes two of us, I mean it should work but…

Well, if someone would ask what I did when Titan Hadad exploded, here's my answer:

View attachment 393793
I spent some time listening to the songs of Fungoida Setisis.

Searching for these in this labyrinth of ridges, peaks, valleys and whatever else this mountainous range could throw at me made me wish once more for an RCARV...
A Radio Controlled Aerial Reconnaissnce Vehicle - basically a faster drone with some additional sensors.
Although I like crawling around in mountain ranges with my SRV, in almost pitch black, it can get a little tiring.

Nice 👍 here’s what I saw:

…it was around 4am here and I was asleep, fortunately ;)

Top Bottom