Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I've been playing Horizon Forbidden West recently, and the graphics are extremely impressive. I was flying over a huge valley yesterday, and it looked like this (I'm flying that metal bird-like machine).

What an amazing vista! And it's all real except the very farthest ridges.

Of course I'm sure it's also hand-crafted, but wouldn't it be amazing to have such grandeur in Elite Dangerous?
20240518200426_1.jpg

I've found some mountains in ED of course, but the terrain generator is definitely not the best at creating them. Still pretty cool, but I'd love see FDEV revisit the terrain stuff. The views are half the reason I explore!
iko.jpg

My comms panel was spammed by a couple of stages of the final assault. It was like a galactic amber alert the childlike species of humanity is missing be on the lookout! I really need to update my comms area code from Hatmehing see if that helps next time they attack. Meanwhile 31 killaLYs away, at the far end of the Empyrean Straits, everything was all tickety-boo as the TIE Liner went to sleep in visual range of the Eoch Grea AA-A. After carefully checking the signals in system for.. wait..

THIS FSS SCANNER WAS MANUFACTURED IN THARGO, NORTH DAKOTA!!?
QBuyEJw.jpg

Well, if someone would ask what I did when Titan Hadad exploded, here's my answer:

View attachment 393793
I spent some time listening to the songs of Fungoida Setisis.

Searching for these in this labyrinth of ridges, peaks, valleys and whatever else this mountainous range could throw at me made me wish once more for an RCARV...
A Radio Controlled Aerial Reconnaissnce Vehicle - basically a faster drone with some additional sensors.
Although I like crawling around in mountain ranges with my SRV, in almost pitch black, it can get a little tiring.

Did a fungoida ever grow so pretty before the thargaloid smackdown? Nature approves! Let's compare again after any thargaloid strike back

And mine -

View attachment 393795
Eddie realised his combat gear was getting a little dusty, so off to fight other people's wars.

Thanks for supporting FrontLines Final Solutions, the Edster!!

Of course I'm sure it's also hand-crafted, but wouldn't it be amazing to have such grandeur in Elite Dangerous?
It would be cool, yes. But I wonder what kind of erosion do you get on those planets with no or minimal atmosphere?
I've found some mountains in ED of course, but the terrain generator is definitely not the best at creating them. Still pretty cool, but I'd love see FDEV revisit the terrain stuff. The views are half the reason I explore!
Well, I just found a whole lot of them, creating something that felt like a maze. The feeling might be intensified by the fact that light wouldn't make it in there...
I agree, the vistas are one of the reasons why I'm out here.

I've been playing Horizon Forbidden West recently, and the graphics are extremely impressive. I was flying over a huge valley yesterday, and it looked like this (I'm flying that metal bird-like machine).

What an amazing vista! And it's all real except the very farthest ridges.

View attachment 393820

View attachment 393819

That does look amazing, as is EDO’s procedural landscape generation - that being the key difference in tech, ie: that vista in HFW is a set, albeit a huge one, hand-designed and prebuilt, with atmospherics and lighting set up by artists - whereas EDH/EDO have had their own procedural landscape generation engines… which generate entire planets, from mountains and valleys to the rocks at your feet, ie: in extraordinary detail :)

I also really hope that this is still viable with the current state of the game/development - ie: that work can still be done on deepening the exploration experience by extending the range of landable worlds. The hopeful stuff: there has been a substantial amount of work on atmospherics and procedural cloud formations evident in the Maelstroms, Spires, Titan meltdowns and aftermath/wreckage sites - hopefully this can carry over into work on landable worlds with slightly denser atmospheres and vapour/cloud formations now…

…would also be great if we could at least start flying about in the upper atmospheres of Jovian-type gas giants in the meantime :geek:

Last edited:
1716813144658.png

I've really passed into the fringes now passed through The Veils

Saturday left Eoch Grea behind, a plain somewhat frumpish but fine nebula.

The MCs from about 2900 LY below
KY1UFmd.jpg

Really trying to not discover much and beat feet across The Veils to The Arcadian Stream. The Milky Way above looks kinda like a tapioca boba tea down here and sometimes the skies mottled a pretty blue. A nearby sector is also named Blue Hypoo or something like that. That's some crazy blue shizzle, I'll tell you what, maybe it looks like blueberry sacsac tea over there

:)

Last edited:
I doubled it from 8 to 16.
More than fine for a current system. I started with 8 too. Video RAM's probably more important while actually gaming.
They often have some encoded mats in store.
I usually leave those commodities where they are. 1) Because the Stargazer doesn't have the cargo space for this as well as 2) this stuff tends to attract pirates and the Stargazer isn't built for combat.
I have almost every sort of cargo on the ignore list as unless I specifically want to collect it from space I consider it too much trouble, I visit degraded emissions occasionally just to top up the low grade mats without trading down and as something to do if there are no high grade around and the encoded are inconveniently located.

That makes two of us, I mean it should work but…
I really do get low on the encoded materials so maybe I should really spend more time on the low grade sites while I'm not busy.

That's a good tip on the ignore list thing though. I always looked at it as kinda pointless. Most of it's probably considered stolen anyway.

And mine -

View attachment 393795

Eddie realised his combat gear was getting a little dusty, so off to fight other people's wars.
Nice. I bought a Vulture recently while resisting the urge to add another expensive medium ship. Partly just for the fun of buying something and decking it out. I also considered the Imperial Courier.

I haven't played with the Vulture much but it sounds kinda funny has good maneouvring thrusters. It's also power mad when properly outfitted so I had to waste mats to get the power plant up to scratch. I think it's still in the red.
I'm now 3,000 ly out from my starting point in Suhte.
Aaaaah, the olden times nostalgia of going for the 5000Ly engineer unlock.
Took an old altr that I haven't played in years and reset it.

Despite my 10-year knowledge of the game, starting from scratch is an intimidating prospect.
I had fun reseting my main and you don't even have to worry going that far. Good choice.

More than fine for a current system. I started with 8 too. Video RAM's probably more important while actually gaming.
According to CPU-Z, this machine has an NVIDIA GeForce MX 250 with 2 GBytes of GDDR-5 memory. And some Intel UHD graphics as part of the APU, which is an Intel Core i5 10210U.
Aaaaah, the olden times nostalgia of going for the 5000Ly engineer unlock.
Yeah. I just noticed that I went out to do this before I even had the engineer unlocked and worked with that I need to gain knowledge of the other one...

I really do get low on the encoded materials so maybe I should really spend more time on the low grade sites while I'm not busy.

That's a good tip on the ignore list thing though. I always looked at it as kinda pointless. Most of it's probably considered stolen anyway.
Yes if it is stolen you end up being harassed by someone’s security and if it’s not you get harassed by everyone else, the last can be useful as long as you are expecting the company.

Top Bottom