Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

With judicious use of ramming, you can one-shot an unprepared Anaconda with an all-frag Krait, if you target and hit the power plant.

I go for G5 high-capacity on my frags - the DPS is actually comparable to double-shot, higher than overcharged, and you get a lot more mileage out of the ammunition.
This build was purely a crazy, but entertaining idea. If the first broadside don't kill the opponent, then the good old chase begins, and for that, the T-10 is rather hopeless. I now have all the frags modded up to G5, and in a high res, I can kill some of the small/medium ships with one squeeze of the trigger, but in a haz res I need more than one shot. Once it gets to that, other ships are way more efficient.

I used a lot of mats for the build, which might seem stupid (probably is as well), but I've done my core mining, exploring and pirate cleanups, so I was looking for a fun engineering challenge, and you can always use G5 frags with incendiary rounds. I didn't use the T-10 I had for mining anymore, and my storage of modules is at 105/120, so I already started using different ships as extra module storage space.

With regards to frags, the incendiary rounds was a mod I hadn't tried before. Normally I prefer rapid fire screening shell. The dps is roughly the same as overcharged and double shot, but with rapid fire screening shell, you can afford to miss a few shots, because the reload time is 0.8 sec, whereas the other mods have longer reload times. With those, when you miss a shot (and I do that all the time), you lose a lot, because the opponent is often gone after the reload.

Normally I also use frags together with something like huge long range beam lasers, but that is sort of the practical way, removing shield and then use frags for hull. With this crazy build it was just the "challenge": Can you build a ship where pushing one button once will wipe out an enemy ship? In practical terms it's pretty useless. It runs out of ammo much quicker than MCs, and for assassinations, it's not powerful enough against an engineered Conda etc. For that I'd use my frag Vulture.

I do however like those incendiary frags. Therefore I'll finish the T-10 "experiment", and use the engineered frags I have on a more agile ship(s). I saw I had a Krait mk II with all the core modules already done. That was another crazy project where I tested out long range burst lasers. That was a really stupid idea. The jitter makes it impossible to hit anything further away than a few meters, and at those distances the frags do a much better job.

Just fly on over. No unlock or invite needed :)

Have fun and good luck! If there's anything else you need to know, happy to share (y) Feels odd to be giving advice when I'm, basically, still feeling like a rookie myself! :D

As for Colonia engineers, IIRC, they don't offer anything more than the bubble ones. Happy to be corrected there!

Edit... the point defence on the upper part of your hull is a must at the ruins.

Thank you very much for all that. I had a couple of goes last night - confess I struggled badly. So a couple of questions: Is it always dark, there? My biggest issue was simply getting lost. And also I never managed more than three pylons charged before it timed out on me. Should I be driving around killing all the skimmers from each tower first, then try to charge all six pylons in one run? Both times I tried I was en route to (ie looking for) pylon 4 when the timer ran out. I don't like SRVs but driving in the dark was really not my friend! It sapped my enthusiasm for gaming. And life. Thanks for the point defence tip - ended up building a DBX locally for the job (almost 50ly jump range!) and with three point defence turrets it worked a treat. If only I could drive!

Go get data from 'Bug Killer ' site instead, lot less hassle.
Easy parking.
There's a spot where you can line up the SRV on two of the thingies, click-scan, click-scan, relog, repeat. No need to move the SRV or mess with the turret.

I honestly found it much quicker than Jameson's.
Once I'm full, four jumps back to the Encoded trader at Ray Gateway.
HIP 16613, planet 1a.
I won't give you any spoilers.
Well worth a visit.

Thank you. Does that mean that I could get the Guardian FSD booster without these sucky nighttime ruins?

You guys are so fun.

I just want to add one thing about the point defense at the guardian ruins. I've done it twice, on 2 accounts, and never used point defense. So don't feel like it's a must. You can just avoid the missiles, play hide and seek with the drones. If you do get hit it will knock you around, though. Setting the handbrake helps there a bit.

I'll probably go again on my newest CMDR. Maybe I'll actually try the point defense this time. Or I might forget. :p

Having tried it twice last night I have no idea how you coped without point defence. I thought I was an okay gamer until last night! Point defence was all that saved me.

I didn't smuggle any slaves when unlocking the Dweller. I did landmines. You just have to pick something that's not legal where you sell it.

You can work against the slave trade; just start pirating the imperials to free the slaves, or kill and reduce imperial influence. It's your choice to support them.

I ran weapons into war zones, then joined the other side!

But your DBX will take around 10 times longer to scoop fuel than the other two, it is one of its major failings.

Having gone to the Guardian ruins in a DBX last night, I can attest to that. Have to get the FSD booster just to avoid having to use the DBX for my longer haul stuff. Painful! Love the ship on local runs though. Love it.

Apologies for length. Traumatic evening fumbling around in the ruins to no end.

o7

Thank you very much for all that. I had a couple of goes last night - confess I struggled badly. So a couple of questions: Is it always dark, there? My biggest issue was simply getting lost. And also I never managed more than three pylons charged before it timed out on me. Should I be driving around killing all the skimmers from each tower first, then try to charge all six pylons in one run? Both times I tried I was en route to (ie looking for) pylon 4 when the timer ran out. I don't like SRVs but driving in the dark was really not my friend! It sapped my enthusiasm for gaming. And life. Thanks for the point defence tip - ended up building a DBX locally for the job (almost 50ly jump range!) and with three point defence turrets it worked a treat. If only I could drive!

Thank you. Does that mean that I could get the Guardian FSD booster without these sucky nighttime ruins?

Having tried it twice last night I have no idea how you coped without point defence. I thought I was an okay gamer until last night! Point defence was all that saved me.

I ran weapons into war zones, then joined the other side!

Having gone to the Guardian ruins in a DBX last night, I can attest to that. Have to get the FSD booster just to avoid having to use the DBX for my longer haul stuff. Painful! Love the ship on local runs though. Love it.

Apologies for length. Traumatic evening fumbling around in the ruins to no end.

o7
Guardian sites.
I think most of them are in constant darkness, but not all. Pretty certain they are all tidally locked, no rotation.
I might nip out and check a couple of my bookmarks later. (y)

'Bug Killer' is just for G5 Encoded data, for engineering, not for Guardian stuff. :(

….

o7

The one I got my blueprints from got so bright it was merely gloomy once and then the fog rolled in as I approached, though I have seen a none blueprint site that was in daylight.

I went round collecting all the other goodies and shooting sentinels first which let me learn the route a bit, then I triggered the first pylon and started the race having said that I failed quite a lot.

To counter the depressing gloom I ran with my nightvision/wireframe system on all the time.

Guardian sites.
I think most of them are in constant darkness, but not all. Pretty certain they are all tidally locked, no rotation.
I might nip out and check a couple of my bookmarks later. (y)

'Bug Killer' is just for G5 Encoded data, for engineering, not for Guardian stuff. :(
The one I got my blueprints from got so bright it was merely gloomy once and then the fog rolled in as I approached, though I have seen a none blueprint site that was in daylight.

I went round collecting all the other goodies and shooting sentinels first which let me learn the route a bit, then I triggered the first pylon and started the race having said that I failed quite a lot.

To counter the depressing gloom I ran with my nightvision/wireframe system on all the time.

Thanks, think I'd be fine without the near-total darkness but as it is I wish we had better lamps on an SRV. Eventually ran out of ammo, lost patience, flew back to Caspiat and fitted a larger SRV bay - still have 48ly range (and a 4A scoop) but now have two SRVs. Then basically fly back and live there until I have cracked it. Then ignore the rest of the Guardian stuff entirely!

o7

Thanks, think I'd be fine without the near-total darkness but as it is I wish we had better lamps on an SRV. Eventually ran out of ammo, lost patience, flew back to Caspiat and fitted a larger SRV bay - still have 48ly range (and a 4A scoop) but now have two SRVs. Then basically fly back and live there until I have cracked it. Then ignore the rest of the Guardian stuff entirely!

o7
Ha! I'm still not a big fan of the SRV, but because of the Guardian sites, at least I can drive the blasted thing. :ROFLMAO:

When you land on a water planet...

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 191

o7

You can synthesize more ammo from within your SRV if you have the mats. (I think its iron or nickel).

If you built both ships for maximum jump range and impracticality then the Phantom should end up jumping 74.x to the Asps 72.x making the ships useful will of course ruin those figures.

I got 67 out of my very useful AspX, and I have yet to do some of the fine tuning that Mr. Ram Tah seems to provide for lightweight heat sink, or remove the pdts I left in place after my grave-robbing exercise :)

Amazing, thank you, will investigate. If only I could also synthesize improved suspension, steering, brakes, throttle control...

o7

The improved suspension hides in the graphics options (a couple of checkboxes on the bottom).
Most people set FA off as default for the SRV, that (and putting the SRV throttle on a self-centering analog control) solves a lot of issues with the throttle control.
Steering and brakes are a matter of training.

o7
You can also use night vision on the SRV also, dont have to rely on headlamps.

The improved suspension hides in the graphics options (a couple of checkboxes on the bottom).
Most people set FA off as default for the SRV, that (and putting the SRV throttle on a self-centering analog control) solves a lot of issues with the throttle control.
Steering and brakes are a matter of training.

Thank you. I'll have a look but tbh I prefer gaming to entertain and I'm personally more interested in politics, trading etc than having to train on some jeep for driving in a space game (I'm one of the (few?) with no interest in space legs, and my lack of interest extends to wheels (in Elite, have lots of interest IRL!). Certainly something that requires 'training' leaves me thinking that life's too short! I get that lots of you love a bit of SRV exploration and that's great but it isn't for me. I see the thing as a necessary evil to gather engineering mats (and this one ruin!).

You can also use night vision on the SRV also, dont have to rely on headlamps.

Thanks - didn't know that it had night vision! No substitute for sunshine but must be better than last night, when game became chore.

Thank you. I'll have a look but tbh I prefer gaming to entertain and I'm personally more interested in politics, trading etc than having to train on some jeep for driving in a space game (I'm one of the (few?) with no interest in space legs, and my lack of interest extends to wheels (in Elite, have lots of interest IRL!). Certainly something that requires 'training' leaves me thinking that life's too short! I get that lots of you love a bit of SRV exploration and that's great but it isn't for me. I see the thing as a necessary evil to gather engineering mats (and this one ruin!).

I play in VR - and for me, too, the SRV is a necessary evil, as I get inevitable simulator sickness from it. The above mentioned things help (usually) to mitigate that for half an hour or so.
As far as that one ruin goes, though - if you want politics, you'll need (in this game) guns and shields. Which will necessitate a few more graverobbing adventures :). But - as it says on the tin - blast your own path, and have fun with it.

This build was purely a crazy, but entertaining idea. If the first broadside don't kill the opponent, then the good old chase begins, and for that, the T-10 is rather hopeless. I now have all the frags modded up to G5, and in a high res, I can kill some of the small/medium ships with one squeeze of the trigger, but in a haz res I need more than one shot. Once it gets to that, other ships are way more efficient.

I used a lot of mats for the build, which might seem stupid (probably is as well), but I've done my core mining, exploring and pirate cleanups, so I was looking for a fun engineering challenge, and you can always use G5 frags with incendiary rounds. I didn't use the T-10 I had for mining anymore, and my storage of modules is at 105/120, so I already started using different ships as extra module storage space.

With regards to frags, the incendiary rounds was a mod I hadn't tried before. Normally I prefer rapid fire screening shell. The dps is roughly the same as overcharged and double shot, but with rapid fire screening shell, you can afford to miss a few shots, because the reload time is 0.8 sec, whereas the other mods have longer reload times. With those, when you miss a shot (and I do that all the time), you lose a lot, because the opponent is often gone after the reload.

Normally I also use frags together with something like huge long range beam lasers, but that is sort of the practical way, removing shield and then use frags for hull. With this crazy build it was just the "challenge": Can you build a ship where pushing one button once will wipe out an enemy ship? In practical terms it's pretty useless. It runs out of ammo much quicker than MCs, and for assassinations, it's not powerful enough against an engineered Conda etc. For that I'd use my frag Vulture.

I do however like those incendiary frags. Therefore I'll finish the T-10 "experiment", and use the engineered frags I have on a more agile ship(s). I saw I had a Krait mk II with all the core modules already done. That was another crazy project where I tested out long range burst lasers. That was a really stupid idea. The jitter makes it impossible to hit anything further away than a few meters, and at those distances the frags do a much better job.
Interesting stuff. Incendiary MC's are great fun. I used them first on the top of the conda .... which makes for the best display of thunder and lightning in all ships I had so far when they start stripping shields.

Top Bottom