Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Question:

Flight Assist Off, do I need it? It's not that I can't fly FAoff, it just feels much more intuitive flying FAon. I like the motion the "fictive atmosphere" around the ship generates, and I happily accept the thrusters taking care of that. The spaceship doesn't fly like a plane, more like a helicopter in Comanche, and I feel a lot more in control, meaning that even with fixed weapons (why?) I land a lot more dps with FAon. Is it impossible to "git gud" with FAon?

FA off is amazing in combat but I trigger it at specific timing - I'm never fighting always with FA off. In combat I think that I'm 90% of the time in FA on and 10% in FA off.

I'm mainly using it in wide turns and to keep ennemies passing by in my aim and land more DPS.

This is the one I built for Neutron highway travelling. :)

Great build!

One comment: If you replace the fuel tank with a class 3, you get 3 more ly jump range. You still have plenty of fuel for KGBFOAM traveling, with a total of ~200 ly depending on your haul. I don't know how that would work at the Neutron Highway, but for most of my ships, I've started using as small a tank as possible.

Edit: If you also drop the extra fuel tank, you'll have an 80ish ly range. I used to bring lots of fuel but then I started noticing, that if I remembered to keep KGBFOAM on, that GPS works bloody fine. If I forget, then I still have plenty of fuel for finding a scoopable star. I hasn't let me down yet, and I've traveled a few miles. I don't use the Neutron Highway, cause VR/Fdev, but I don't say no whenever I find one, and I have both NS and WD enabled as well. Sort of an occasional snack, but it doesn't save me much time, also considering AFMU time.

FA off is amazing in combat but I trigger it at specific timing - I'm never fighting always with FA off. In combat I think that I'm 90% of the time in FA on and 10% in FA off.

I'm mainly using it in wide turns and to keep ennemies passing by in my aim and land more DPS.
Thanks!

I kind of "dog fight", and it seems to work fine. Depending on the ship I can orbit perfectly fine with FAon, using lateral thrusters. I learned how to do that blowing up countless rotating rocks by trying to hit fissures using fixed seismic charge launchers. Never underestimate them miners ;) In a FDL or a Vulture, I find it pretty easy to keep out of enemy fire and having the target in my own crosshair. A quick 180, I do by reversing the throttle and pitching, then boosting when I have the nose of the ship pointing towards my smoketrail or whatever ship I'm trying to kill. I do understand the value of being able to move in one direction and point the ship in another with FAoff, but I don't find it hard to point my nose where I want with FAon, and the ship stabilizes a lot more quickly. Is FAoff a must or is it a nice-to-have?

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how far I can make it jump without sacrificing too much.

Heat sink tip appreciated!
Don’t minimise the engines too much there are high g planets out there.

The main problem used to be getting them to turn tightly enough in cruise to efficiently scan everything in the system nowadays with the new tools that isn’t an issue so you just have to live with the miles of deck in your field of view.

If you also drop the extra fuel tank, you'll have an 80ish ly range.
No, it's there for a reason! When using the Neutron highway, it's very helpful to have because you're using a huge amount of fuel each jump. It's easy to get stranded because you can't scoop neutrons. After a bit of live testing I decided the extra tank was the best idea.

If I wasn't using the neutron stuff, then I'd drop the tank, yeah.

I kind of "dog fight", and it seems to work fine. Depending on the ship I can orbit perfectly fine with FAon, using lateral thrusters. I learned how to do that blowing up countless rotating rocks by trying to hit fissures using fixed seismic charge launchers. Never underestimate them miners ;) In a FDL or a Vulture, I find it pretty easy to keep out of enemy fire and having the target in my own crosshair. A quick 180, I do by reversing the throttle and pitching, then boosting when I have the nose of the ship pointing towards my smoketrail or whatever ship I'm trying to kill. I do understand the value of being able to move in one direction and point the ship in another with FAoff, but I don't find it hard to point my nose where I want with FAon, and the ship stabilizes a lot more quickly. Is FAoff a must or is it a nice-to-have?

It's my opinion but from my experience I really think that when properly used FA off can give a serious advantage VS FA on 100%. Furthermore, if you are fighting a ship that is faster & more agile than you FA off can help a lot keeping it in sight + allow you to do maneuvers that you simply couldn't with FA on.

Of course in PvE it won't make much of a difference because ennemies are quite easy to kill but in PvP it saved my *ss numerous time against small engineered ships flying around like mosquitoes =P

Last edited:
Brb

Edit: Blowing up it was configured like this:

From what little I understand, that shouldn't blow itself up - especially not with that low emissions power plant. You're lugging around some unnecessary weight, and some modules I wouldn't use on a combat ship, but otherwise, it looks fine to me.

For a comparison, this is mine. HPS from the weapons is a bit lower, but then again I'm also using only an armoured PP at 0.34 heat efficiency. Engine focussed PD usually doesn't make much sense - you can only boost once every five seconds in any case, so any value below that doesn't help. Charge enhanced gives you the same recharge, but a smaller capacitor on the engines in exchange for that improved recharge all across the board.

Don’t minimise the engines too much there are high g planets out there.

The main problem used to be getting them to turn tightly enough in cruise to efficiently scan everything in the system nowadays with the new tools that isn’t an issue so you just have to live with the miles of deck in your field of view.

Got 6D's in the thrusters slot so hoping this works OK. Stripped down and G3 clean. The PD and PP are also stripped down, sensors and life support light weight, shield gen is a 3D (please don't hit me). FSD maxed and mass managed. Guadian booster fitted.

70.46LYs \o/

Toying with a limpet controller for mat collecting. Not sure on that yet but I'm quite happy with this beta build so far.

Last edited:
From what little I understand, that shouldn't blow itself up - especially not with that low emissions power plant. You're lugging around some unnecessary weight, and some modules I wouldn't use on a combat ship, but otherwise, it looks fine to me.

For a comparison, this is mine. HPS from the weapons is a bit lower, but then again I'm also using only an armoured PP at 0.34 heat efficiency. Engine focussed PD usually doesn't make much sense - you can only boost once every five seconds in any case, so any value below that doesn't help. Charge enhanced gives you the same recharge, but a smaller capacitor on the engines in exchange for that improved recharge all across the board.
Thanks!

I might have had an overcharge on the PP and a smaller one like a 5A now that I think of it. The ship is built for being as agile as I can get a Mamba while still staying alive. It's WIP and the FSD booster and the scoop was temporary while flying to the engineer, living in outer space :)

The PD was G4 engine focused, but I "borrowed" a G5 charge enhanced super cond from my FDL, and that seems to help quite a lot. Once the wep pip starts falling heat starts building up faster it seems. Heat management is complicated. I really like the engineering part of ED. I think I'll try to "finish" the build like this:

HighResScreenShot_2020-01-17_22-41-40 (3).jpg

Got 6D's in the thrusters slot so hoping this works OK. Stripped down and G3 clean. The PD and PP are also stripped down, sensors and life support light weight, shield gen is a 3D (please don't hit me). FSD maxed and mass managed. Guadian booster fitted.

70.46LYs \o/

Toying with a limpet controller for mat collecting. Not sure on that yet but I'm quite happy with this beta build so far.
Options to consider to make you self sufficient, ignoring the big fuel scoop, are a mining laser to get mats for synthesis from rings, an SRV to do the same from planets, AFMU to repair modules and a repair limpet controller to repair the hul along with a small hold for the limpets most of these can of course be powered down most of the time to reduce fuel burn.

Unlocked Juri Ishmaak. Then... no can do. what? Ok, let's see, he granted me access to grade one only, can't engineer anything at all this way.

I have the scanner stuff already on Grade 3. Except.. oh wait. My sensor is Grade 1 lightweight. Hmm, ok then. Delete modifaction on sensor. Re-Engineer to lightweight. Bingo. Roll up to Grade 5, pin blue print for missiles. Done and bye bye Juri. ;)

Saturday Morning thought:
We arrived in the age of Helminthic stupidity!

Without global systemic change, we as a species do not stand a chance, because we arrived at a point where the parasitoids not only kill the host, which is not uncommon, but cause extinction of its host species instead, hence the age of helminthic stupidity.

:ROFLMAO: The things you come up with in your nickers on your second coffee. Stares into cup, grinning grotesquely...

Saturday Morning thought:
We arrived in the age of Helminthic stupidity!

Without global systemic change, we as a species do not stand a chance, because we arrived at a point where the parasitoids not only kill the host, which is not uncommon, but cause extinction of its host species instead, hence the age of helminthic stupidity.

:ROFLMAO: The things you come up with in your nickers on your second coffee. Stares into cup, grinning grotesquely...
Long words,deep thoughts. Brain hurts.

Top Bottom