Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Whee! I'm having fun with my new project.

After some consideration I decided to ditch the Viper and get a DBX instead. Then spend the mats for the FSD range upgrade on that. And then continue tweaking and upgrading and engineering the DBX until it is the best DBX ever! Or until I get tired and say "good enough!" lol.

I don't seem to want to focus too much on missions right now, I'm more into scanning and planetary stuff, so the DBX seems like a good choice. I almost went with the Keelback for the cargo space, but then decided that jump range is more fun/important for me and what I like to do.

So, I set course for Li Yong-Rui space for that sweet discount, stripped the Viper, bought a DBX and upgraded the modules as much as I could with my funds, and then drove off to Farseer. I upgraded the FSD to a max Grade 5, and the drives to Dirty Grade 3 (best I can do until I unlock Palin). Next, I hit up Elvira with some Soontil Relics, sold her some exploration data I gathered on the way to her place, and then had her upgrade my shields to Reinforced 3 and add the Drag Drives experimental to the thrusters.

And that got me enough rep with her that I got the next invite, Marco Qwent. It's all flowing so quickly this time through. I bipped out to Sothis to look into getting Allied with Sirius Corp. In the old days you could do courier missions for rep, there. Well, I got there (only 7 jumps, yay DBX) and discovered that Sirius Corp now has their own little outpost. They are the controlling faction, and it has a Cartographics section.

Heck, that makes it easy. There are plenty of high-value systems around Sothis to scan. All I need is 7-8 million, and voila. Allied. I'll do that tomorrow :) I need the cash anyway.

I'm keeping this ship, so I named it and everything:

Ringed water world I was scanning...looked cool through the fisheye lens :)

Elvira's base is spooky feeling:

Back into the void, in this case i swung by the Prospect to pick my gains from the guardian collecting part of the initiative and heading out to continue to map the Synuefe system as i was before i interrupted to work on engenieering some of my ships, the call for the void was too strong so here i go again...

Getting underway for the evening towards the Cat's Paw. 67 jumps to go, just over 4100 ly. Plenty of discoveries and first maps made so far, traveling about 200ly above the plane. Nothing major as of yet, though (not many terraforms, and no ELW's or WW's). Still, it's a good trip.

I keep telling myself that I'd like to see some POI's along the way, but they're all on the plane and therefore too far out of my way. Perhaps I'll stay on the plane on the return trip and check some out.

Last edited:
After being trashed several times in a 300Mcr corvette, went to the shard moons of HIP 36601 for supplies.
hip36601-shards.jpg

Then rebulit a 825Mcr harder corvette, survived and trashed 4 four deadly anacondas in single combat( solo mode only), so feeling better about this ship.
Heading back to the system I was doing beer deliveries in for some payback. Yes, Mongo rides again.....
mongotpt.jpg

Last edited:
Today was kind of a whirlwind. I want to get my shields stronger, which means I still need Didi for the boosters. Which means I need Selene Jean. Which means I need Tod The Blaster. And he wants bounties.

So, off to the RES I went to see how the DBX fared in combat. It was better than I expected, actually. I had no problem racking up the needed bounties.

And check out this stunning RES site I was in...very pretty!

After I got Tod unlocked, though, Selene Jean was staring me in the face. "I desire Pain---ite!" she said. Ok, I get it already. Mining is required...hmm...the DBX doesn't make a very good miner. What can I get that's within my limited budget that would work better....

I wound up getting a Keelback. It did a reasonable job of mining. I figured that if I had to mine anyway, I might as well go for the expensive stuff. I did 2 runs in the Keelback, and had enough to switch to a Krait Phantom, which I did right away because I didn't like the Keelback very much.

I'm now 140 tons into the 500 I need for Selene. My limited budget is quickly becoming significantly less limited. By the time I have the 500 I'll be quite comfy I expect.

Funny how my original intention to unlock some Engineers and upgrade the DBX has turned into all this now. It's all good, though, gives me something to do :)

After being trashed several times in a 300Mcr corvette, went to the shard moons of HIP 36601 for supplies.
View attachment 133066

Then rebulit a 825Mcr harder corvette, survived and trashed 4 four deadly anacondas in single combat( solo mode only), so feeling better about this ship.
Heading back to the system I was doing beer deliveries in for some payback. Yes, Mongo rides again.....
View attachment 133067
Excellent, excellent!
Kill them, kill them all!
(rubs hands together and cackles)

Finally arrived back in civilised space after a few days mapping a dust cloud not too far away,and decided to invest the proceeds in a T9. Since i am unused to 'big' ships i thought it might be sensible to invest in a docking computer till i got used to the entry/exit points, so i kitted it out as best i could and took it for a shakedown to see how it handles,(the less said the better) .
Drifting around a big ol' rock for fifteen minutes,scanning the occasional passing vessel for whatever turns up,
(not much as it turns out) then decide to make a few adjustments to the trim and head back in.
I was four klicks from the slot,perfect trajectory,no traffic,request docking and the auto kicks in as we glide towards safety.Why am i shuddering?why am i not moving forward?Why are angry people telling me to stop hogging the
spacelanes?Why am i not surprised?New-fangled technology.Bah,humbug!
Disengaged and landed safely. Should i employ a babysitter or two as well? :)

Finally arrived back in civilised space after a few days mapping a dust cloud not too far away,and decided to invest the proceeds in a T9. Since i am unused to 'big' ships i thought it might be sensible to invest in a docking computer till i got used to the entry/exit points, so i kitted it out as best i could and took it for a shakedown to see how it handles,(the less said the better) .
Drifting around a big ol' rock for fifteen minutes,scanning the occasional passing vessel for whatever turns up,
(not much as it turns out) then decide to make a few adjustments to the trim and head back in.
I was four klicks from the slot,perfect trajectory,no traffic,request docking and the auto kicks in as we glide towards safety.Why am i shuddering?why am i not moving forward?Why are angry people telling me to stop hogging the
spacelanes?Why am i not surprised?New-fangled technology.Bah,humbug!
Disengaged and landed safely. Should i employ a babysitter or two as well? :)

Docking big ships can be an issue however if you have a look at your ship in outfitting or with an external camera you can see where the cockpit sits in relation to the top and bottom of your ship, Anaconda puts you right at the top while the T9 is at the bottom. Using that you know that in your T9 you should approach the slot so it looks like you might cut your ankles off on the bottom edge. Laterally start out aiming for the middle of the slot then edge further towards the green lights as your confidence grows.
If you keep your speed in the 80-90 region and 4 pips in Sys you should be fine if you do clip something and you will be slow enough that hitting NPCs won’t get you in serious trouble.

Keep in mind docking computers get nervous to.

Yeah,but well,It has all the telemetry ,dimensions and whatnot and the superfast reflexes to compensate, so it seems to me risking a 150 mill craft on a box of bits that dont work correctly is taking a bit of an unnecessary risk, considering that i am quite capable of trashing myself,as has been proven on many occasions.
I'm not really bashing the idea,although my experience does not inspire confidence in the technology,it has to make things easier for most,and i have the space so why not utilise it?
And its unlikely a newb would be sitting in the seat of a T9 without some experience of how to get out of it.
So really its all just harrumph! :giggle:

Yeah,but well,It has all the telemetry ,dimensions and whatnot and the superfast reflexes to compensate, so it seems to me risking a 150 mill craft on a box of bits that dont work correctly is taking a bit of an unnecessary risk, considering that i am quite capable of trashing myself,as has been proven on many occasions.
I'm not really bashing the idea,although my experience does not inspire confidence in the technology,it has to make things easier for most,and i have the space so why not utilise it?
And its unlikely a newb would be sitting in the seat of a T9 without some experience of how to get out of it.
So really its all just harrumph! :giggle:

To my mind the premier skill of the Docking Computer is when you are landing an overloaded underpowered ship at a settlement on a high g planet, it’s quirks at stations are indeed worthy of a harrumphing.

I love the new advanced DC on my bigger ships, especially the Beluga and T10. Works like a charm. I’m also a big fan of the supercruise assist. I mean, we currently have auto-pilot tech now, and this far in the future we can travel light years in seconds….auto-freaking pilot should be a thing LOL.

Speaking of piloting, last night I took a charter to Super G. 2million CR for a 30 jump hop in my Clipper? Sure! So I get there, and there’s a ton of stars in this system, and Super G is this big freaking landable planet with 9G!!! Even knowing that level of gravity I still bounced and ‘sploded nicely. Oh well, lesson learned about that place I guess. What, take A rated largest thrusters w/G5 DD to that place and just descend REALLY slow?

I love the new advanced DC on my bigger ships, especially the Beluga and T10. Works like a charm. I’m also a big fan of the supercruise assist. I mean, we currently have auto-pilot tech now, and this far in the future we can travel light years in seconds….auto-freaking pilot should be a thing LOL.

Speaking of piloting, last night I took a charter to Super G. 2million CR for a 30 jump hop in my Clipper? Sure! So I get there, and there’s a ton of stars in this system, and Super G is this big freaking landable planet with 9G!!! Even knowing that level of gravity I still bounced and ‘sploded nicely. Oh well, lesson learned about that place I guess. What, take A rated largest thrusters w/G5 DD to that place and just descend REALLY slow?
There's a whole technique for high-gravity landings. Basically, take it really slow, and never, ever, dip the nose. Keep level at all times. Never hit the down thruster, either.

There was a great writeup and video of how to do it a while back, on the old forums, but I've lost track of it.

There's a whole technique for high-gravity landings. Basically, take it really slow, and never, ever, dip the nose. Keep level at all times. Never hit the down thruster, either.

There was a great writeup and video of how to do it a while back, on the old forums, but I've lost track of it.

Thank you Codger! Good tips and I'll want to try that again just for the experience of doing it successfully.

Decided to hang out in Shinrarta Dezhra for a while. It struck me though: for a place that's sort of a mecca for those who've reached the required "level" and Jameson himself being such an icon, well, I, for one, would have thought the whole system would be, well... more impressive somehow.

Perhaps a unique looking station.

Perhaps I expect too much :LOL:

Decided to hang out in Shinrarta Dezhra for a while. It struck me though: for a place that's sort of a mecca for those who've reached the required "level" and Jameson himself being such an icon, well, I, for one, would have thought the whole system would be, well... more impressive somehow.

Perhaps a unique looking station.

Perhaps I expect too much :LOL:
I thought the same thing when I unlocked Sol and went to Abraham Lincoln. That station is very underwhelming in appearance. Now Mikael Gorbachev is pretty cool looking.

Top Bottom