Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I was struck by space madness last night. That's the only explanation.

I've been chilling in the Colonia area for some time, and enjoying it, but last night I had a sudden strong desire to change things up.

I decided I want to leave my current ships in Colonia, as my "Colonia Fleet", then go back to the bubble and do several things.
  1. Get back to working on some of my other ships that I haven't played with for a while
  2. Build a really long-range Anaconda and learn to use the Neutron Highway, so I can make the trip back and forth to Colonia more easily. I've heard it can be done in just 2 or 3 hours once you get the hang of it. I'm gonna try.
  3. Build another Corvette for the bubble, or (possibly) upgrade the Cutter or T-10 to full combat build and try those.
So, without further planning (cuz that's how I roll) I went over to the Pilot's Federation folks and told them I was sick to my stomach and needed a ride home, which they kindly provided for no cost, along with a free Sidewinder to sit in for a while. They have some sort of instant beaming technology that they use in these cases, so it took no time at all. They even beamed my crewmate back with me! Such nice folks over there, very helpful.

Anyway, I'm back at Jameson Memorial, with a massive list of materials I will need for engineering new stuffs. Life is good. :)

I've been chilling in the Colonia area for some time, and enjoying it, but last night I had a sudden strong desire to change things up.

I decided I want to leave my current ships in Colonia, as my "Colonia Fleet", then go back to the bubble and do several things.
  1. Get back to working on some of my other ships that I haven't played with for a while
  2. Build a really long-range Anaconda and learn to use the Neutron Highway, so I can make the trip back and forth to Colonia more easily. I've heard it can be done in just 2 or 3 hours once you get the hang of it. I'm gonna try.
  3. Build another Corvette for the bubble, or (possibly) upgrade the Cutter or T-10 to full combat build and try those.
So, without further planning (cuz that's how I roll) I went over to the Pilot's Federation folks and told them I was sick to my stomach and needed a ride home, which they kindly provided for no cost, along with a free Sidewinder to sit in for a while. They have some sort of instant beaming technology that they use in these cases, so it took no time at all. They even beamed my crewmate back with me! Such nice folks over there, very helpful.

Anyway, I'm back at Jameson Memorial, with a massive list of materials I will need for engineering new stuffs. Life is good. :)
Things got better when human 3D printers were introduced, ey?

If you don't mind me asking, is this how it works? Even though my last stop was Jaques, if I got destroyed would I wake up back in the bubble? A bit like Bobby Ewing in Dallas?

Five days.Time to go.

You youngsters and your new fangled technologies. :)

I've spent the last few days in this system and have now decided to move on.There's a nebula two jumps beyond and it will be good to be on the way to somewhere else again.I did a full systems map except for the primary bodies.Plenty of bio and geo signs.
Never did work out the puzzle of the ruin sites although i did get some scans (which i suspect i will never use).
Too convoluted to work out for me ,so i dumped the cargo and continue on. I've already plotted my route for a return,taking in more dust clouds,but my power plant integrity dipped below 80%,so i will need to make port at some point.Will switching things off increase it's longevity?
I've also decided to purge the data so the system will retain it's pristine status,and if i make it back to civilization
in one piece,that is what will happen.
Still a long ways to go before that happens, it's just as likely an inconvenient planet or a dastardly pirate will save me the bother.

If you don't mind me asking, is this how it works? Even though my last stop was Jaques, if I got destroyed would I wake up back in the bubble? A bit like Bobby Ewing in Dallas?
Well, if you get destroyed anywhere, you always have the option of rebuying your current ship for the insurance fee (which puts you back at your last station), or you can take the free Sidewinder and be sent back to your starting location (Baker's Prospect in Asellus Prime for me). Of course when you do that, you lose your original ship. Also, if you're Wanted when you get destroyed, you will NOT be sent back to the start, but to the nearest Detention station instead, so being Clean is part of the equation. And don't have your NPC crew active, or they'll be destroyed, too.

So yes, I got blown up while I was in a brand new Sidewinder that I had just purchased. I swear that planet I crashed into wasn't there a second ago. Then I asked for the Free Sidewinder and Free Trip Back Home. I lost the purchase price of the Sidewinder, nothing else.

I've already plotted my route for a return,taking in more dust clouds,but my power plant integrity dipped below 80%,so i will need to make port at some point.Will switching things off increase it's longevity?

No. An AFMU could repair the module, if have an AFMU with you. Otherwise you'll need to dock and repair somewhere.

Finished the Rescue business until Thursday's Thargoid attack.
Jumped in the old Python, limpets and jumpy kit fitted.
Let's hunt down some HGEs!
D8uyy0qX4AEMfm3

Managed a couple of hours in the cockpit tonight. First task: figure out where the heck I am... turned out to be 12,000ly southwest of Colonia, and about 13,000ly from home base in TZ Arietis. Basic flight controls came back to me quickly (although I think first docking will be interesting!)

Spent some time in the FSS scanning planets and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I only fooled with it a little during beta but it seems pretty straightforward, and much quicker than flying up close to 10-20 bodies in a system. Interestingly, I found three terraformable rocky worlds that I wouldn't have bothered with in the old system.

And random question: did something change with heat management or fuel scoop efficiency? Using the same technique I've used for years, temperature seems to be 5-6% lower during scooping.

Good to be back in the black!

I spent a while testing out my Cutter to see if I'd be happy enough using it as my combat ship. I do like the Cutter quite a bit. Mine's been set up as an armed cargo hauler for some time. So I broke out the Prismatics and upgraded some stuff to make her more combat-ready, and hit the compromised nav beacon.

Even with the old engineering I had on it, it did pretty well. I like how it flies, but it's different than the 'Vette. More like a whale than a shark, I guess. Except it's fast in a straight line.

Anyway, I could almost be happy in it except for one thing, and it's not what you might expect. It's the white interior. I've really been enjoying the fighting at the CNBs, and they are always near a star. The glare off of the cockpit dashboard was so intense I could hardly see the ships I was after.

Soooo...I dug out the old T-10 to take her for a spin, just in case I somehow changed my mind about her. But nope. I just can't take how badly the T-10 handles in supercruise. It. Just. Won't. Turn.

So, as I kinda suspected in the first place, what I really want is another Corvette here in the bubble. So I'm working on that now, making the rounds of the Engineers and Material Traders for all the upgrades.

Vaterman's base was quite scenic today:

Whoops! Gravity burn!

Landing to get some pics of pumpkins on a ringed HMC, I neglected to check the gravity. Cursing and up-thrusting profusely kinda worked as my ship refused to slow as usual, and I came away with 31% hull. SO freaking lucky!I landed and got my photos while I put in the call to the Hull Seals. A short while later I was all patched up.

It was sorta worth it.
nhZKoik.jpg

hmokv9u.jpg

Top Bottom