Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Gnosis is back in the bubble this week, so my alt account dumped all the thargoid tat I have been carrying around for the last year, grabbed a Krait Phantom and did a quick trip out to unlock Guardian FSD booster. Now have a half decent science vessel, a 20ly Python was really quite pointless.
Might grab some engineering materials then jump back on board Gnosis before it heads off to Witch Head.

Gnosis is back in the bubble this week, so my alt account dumped all the thargoid tat I have been carrying around for the last year, grabbed a Krait Phantom and did a quick trip out to unlock Guardian FSD booster. Now have a half decent science vessel, a 20ly Python was really quite pointless.
Might grab some engineering materials then jump back on board Gnosis before it heads off to Witch Head.
Equip a Xeno scanner if you haven't already.

Attachments

• sjb.JPG
    sjb.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 181
Ok this is funny. I shoulda kept the link, but I saw a post from someone in another thread. They were referring to THIS thread, saying how they had been reading it. They said it "seemed to be designed for newbies." And he was amazed how all of us "newbies" enjoyed the game, and weren't too concerned with fast progress.

I guess I'll just stay a newbie forever, then, since apparently I'm still one after thousands of hours of play. As long as I'm having fun, it's all good! :p

Ok this is funny. I shoulda kept the link, but I saw a post from someone in another thread. They were referring to THIS thread, saying how they had been reading it. They said it "seemed to be designed for newbies." And he was amazed how all of us "newbies" enjoyed the game, and weren't too concerned with fast progress.

I guess I'll just stay a newbie forever, then, since apparently I'm still one after thousands of hours of play. As long as I'm having fun, it's all good! :p

I consifer myself a newbie still. Always will :D

Currently cruising at 500c + on the way to collect 90 units of palladium.

The best newbies, make Admiral and drive FED corvettes, at novice combat rating...
Cause they know where the best beer and coffee is at. and shuffle the paper work for promotions...:sneaky:
I can't remember what my combat rank was when I got my Corvette. Competent, I think. It's gone up since then :p

For some reason, I find this my primary 'go-to' thread. It's a bit like having a favourite pub where you pop in occasionally just to see whats going on and what the regulars are up to. My eyes light up whenever I see this topic on the "What's New" page. I can vent my irrational rages here and admit my stoopid mistakes and my strange notions of what I enjoy as gameplay without creating new topics. Yesterday I made trade Elite bareback in a shieldless Challenger without mining a single void opal to seal the double after 7 months of playing because I was determined to do it 'old style' without shortcuts. The cliff face of Competent to Elite in Combat now beckons and I'm going to try to scale it without spilling any more human blood at all - especially my own - to get there, but I'm not sure if I might have to break this rule to get one of the engineers unlocked by engaging in a few CZ's - do AX CZ's qualify for this? See, I can ask these questions here without getting lectured on forum search etiquette first.

Despite now being double Elite I still consider myself a noob and learn something new every day on these forums. This is far and away the most interesting thread as the subject matter changes from day to day, but its the regulars that make it what it is so thank you all for sticking with it.

I downloaded WinAmp a little while ago as it's a program I've got a soft spot for from years back. Bear with me, this is going somewhere :D

Normally, I enjoy the in-game music but I thought I'd change it up a bit. So. I fired up WinAmp, found some suitably "spacey" tracks my library to see what it was like.

Gliding around an icy ring laser mining to Carbon Based Lifeform's "Arecibo" was tantamount to an extremely relaxing meditative state.

Next up: running profitable mission listening to The Flying Lizards' "Money".

As good as the Flying Lizards 'Money' is, Pink Floyd did it better.
You could also try 'Big Wedge' by Fish from Marillion.
Dire Straits Money for nothing?

Anything by Johnny Cash.........??

Well, aside from making fnarr-fnarr jokes about the npc names at Gould Station, I spent yesterday heading off at a bit of a tangent.

I've never entered Empire space before now (at least, not to dock / stay), despite being 18 months in game. I also need some HN Shock Mounts to unlock the Guardian FSD booster that I could in theory get now. Also, I bought a very nice paint-job (iridescent) for an Imp. Clipper about a year ago, despite having no rank in the Empire, and I want a Clipper now... So I thought I'd head off to Empire territory to rectify all these points :)

It wasn't long before I found a pleasant enough station which seems rather isolated in it's way, and I'm happily running courier missions, building up rep for the faction and my Imperial reputation. And I think I should have done this sooner! The Imperial stations have a nicer font, and the station controllers are awfully polite and well-spoken, donchaknow :)

Plus, I'm back flying "Daffodil", my Cobra MkIII. Bloody marvellous ship, and she is kitted out as my recon and scavenger as well as light cargo load and data-runner ship. I've got recon limpets, collector limpets, an A class wake scanner, SRV, DSS, and the usual other stuff, and a couple of mine-launchers to put off anyone wanting to chase me ;)

Well, aside from making fnarr-fnarr jokes about the npc names at Gould Station, I spent yesterday heading off at a bit of a tangent.

I've never entered Empire space before now (at least, not to dock / stay), despite being 18 months in game. I also need some HN Shock Mounts to unlock the Guardian FSD booster that I could in theory get now. Also, I bought a very nice paint-job (iridescent) for an Imp. Clipper about a year ago, despite having no rank in the Empire, and I want a Clipper now... So I thought I'd head off to Empire territory to rectify all these points :)

It wasn't long before I found a pleasant enough station which seems rather isolated in it's way, and I'm happily running courier missions, building up rep for the faction and my Imperial reputation. And I think I should have done this sooner! The Imperial stations have a nicer font, and the station controllers are awfully polite and well-spoken, donchaknow :)

Plus, I'm back flying "Daffodil", my Cobra MkIII. Bloody marvellous ship, and she is kitted out as my recon and scavenger as well as light cargo load and data-runner ship. I've got recon limpets, collector limpets, an A class wake scanner, SRV, DSS, and the usual other stuff, and a couple of mine-launchers to put off anyone wanting to chase me ;)
Lol I'm glad that it's not just me who enjoys periods of Empire space purely for the manner and accent of the station controllers!

My biggest (and, I think, sole) regret at having restarted my game is that my fighter pilot in save #1 sounded just like Brienne of Tarth.

Lol I'm glad that it's not just me who enjoys periods of Empire space purely for the manner and accent of the station controllers!

My biggest (and, I think, sole) regret at having restarted my game is that my fighter pilot in save #1 sounded just like Brienne of Tarth.

Ah, I can understand your regret there; what a lovely clear voice that lady had indeed. I could listen to her for hours!

It makes me smile that the lovely station controller lady at my new chosen location talks about "inconvenience" and "respectfully ask commanders", when talking about the possibility of launch-pad annihilation if one loiters. I'm wondering if there is a place where an avuncular "Sergeant Wilson" type gentlemen would be asking if people "would mind awfully moving along out of the mail-slot please". If not, there should be :)

Top Bottom