Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Blowing the fans through is something I can do... removing the heatsink is probably beyond my ken. I'm wondering if a newer card might be on the cards. However, justifying that to the better half would be a mammoth undertaking! :D

(y)
Keep in mind that the 3080 and relatives should be out soon(tm) which might cause a price drop on the two series between them and yours.*

* Yes I know but I like wishful thinking.

Well, I got around to my longer weekend in the vincinity of the bubble (1000 ly off) and found a new system, with a terraforming candidate.

When I came back I realise that those millions I made makes no difference when it comes to what ships I use, so I went to grind som Federation rep for a Sol permit.

Then I decided to buy Horizonsand try out the SRV.

Guess it climbs reasonably well on a low gravity planet:View attachment 182321
Yes, that is the correct abgle for the horizon, the peak was 1500 meters high, but I did not get all the way up the 60 degree incline.
Yes 60 degrees is about the limit for climbing in an SRV using its wheels, much as I find planets disturbing places to be for a long session I am impressed by the SRV I just wish it was much more stable in flight.

Had to strip the Cobra right down (save flight modules) because I don't feel like taking 69 trips carrying landmines to Eurybia. Four will do it. Some NPC jerks keep interdicting me as I reach the engineer planet and the second one got me. I swear I left supercruise twice as I was pinballing everywhere. The little punk high waked (high woke?) the second time I nuked his shields. He knew he was about to taste multi-cannon for the last time. This is the first time I've gone without shields too so I'm a little on edge when I have cargo.

Bit tired but I'm saving the pick me up of a tea and smoke as a reward for completing this little grind.

Here she is, just prior to her maiden voyage to Pewpewland:

UkEq9ZT.jpg

Very Thunderbirds 2.

Well, I got around to my longer weekend in the vincinity of the bubble (1000 ly off) and found a new system, with a terraforming candidate.

When I came back I realise that those millions I made makes no difference when it comes to what ships I use, so I went to grind som Federation rep for a Sol permit.

Then I decided to buy Horizonsand try out the SRV.

Guess it climbs reasonably well on a low gravity planet:View attachment 182321
Yes, that is the correct abgle for the horizon, the peak was 1500 meters high, but I did not get all the way up the 60 degree incline.
jtr1.jpg
Funnily enough, i was trying out the same thing last night.If your ship is small enough, you can sometimes land on the top and freewheel down.
jtr2.jpg

It's a lot easier. :giggle:

Last edited:
I had a nice "exploration only" day today, in my good old trusty T6. It's still a fine exploration ship. Great handling. Nice cockpit. Scoops fast.

I painted mine completely black at some point. It's a stealth explorer! Very badass! (well, for a T6, which means not very).

Still, I can guarantee you that no one saw me when I was mapping planets today. That's how stealthy my ship is. Yep.

Screenshot_0624.jpg

Screenshot_0618.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but galvanized metal means "zinc coating". Technically you could coat the surface with other metals as well, but then it wouldn't be called galvanization.
"Galvanized cobalt" means the ship is made of Cobalt (which doesn't make sense) and it's coated with zinc (which makes even less sense) :LOL:

I hate "false friends" - I wanted to contradict you, but had the sense to look up the Oxford Dictionary first. In German (at least) "galvanisieren" means "electroplating" (of which "galvanizing" in English is a subset, meaning "zinc plating").

"Electroplated Cobalt" would make sense1 - maybe FD used "galvanized" because they thought "electroplated" would be too complicated?

1for a given value of "sense" at least. I have no idea whether it would actually be possible to electroplate something with Cobalt or, if it would be possible, this would be a good idea.

I hate "false friends" - I wanted to contradict you, but had the sense to look up the Oxford Dictionary first. In German (at least) "galvanisieren" means "electroplating" (of which "galvanizing" in English is a subset, meaning "zinc plating").

"Electroplated Cobalt" would make sense1 - maybe FD used "galvanized" because they thought "electroplated" would be too complicated?

1for a given value of "sense" at least. I have no idea whether it would actually be possible to electroplate something with Cobalt or, if it would be possible, this would be a good idea.
Oh yeah, I would also use it as a synonym to electroplating and the message is conveyed alright, I guess. But being a nitpicky donkey is way more fun. :LOL:

And of course it gets more complicated than that as galvanizing was a hot dipping process where the object was dipped into a vat of molten zinc to coat it, no electricity required.

Top Bottom