Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

The iCutter has no right to handle this well for it's size... boosts to 465, just keeps on boosting forever. I feel like I'm flying a heavy fighter with 7 guns and absurd shields.

Rejiggered for 256t cargo space, 6x 1st class cabins, still got the size 8 bi-weave shield, an SCB as backup, some module reinforcements, collector limpets, a surface scanner, dual SRV bay, and even rescue limpets because I feel bad about ignoring distress calls. It is very much a multipurpose build - not for CZs, but it looks like it'll do anything else. Only down side is the large pad requirement. All I can say is I wish it had a couple more small slots so's I wasn't putting small stuff in the big spaces.

There were a couple of pirates decided to try to stop me running medicines. They saw the error of their ways - very quickly. I really should finish engineering this ship... but it barely needs it.

landed cutter.jpg

(Having flown a type 9 for the bridge CG... why would you ever go through that if you have access to a cutter?)

Last edited:
nice little proggy you found there @Codger . discovered 2 and log 1 new :)
"elite discovery"
i had to used both version too finally get the proggie working.

Attachments

• Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.14 - 23.07.07.87.png
    Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.14 - 23.07.07.87.png
    917.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.14 - 23.16.57.74.png
    Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.14 - 23.16.57.74.png
    839 KB · Views: 41
  • Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.15 - 00.06.24.67.png
    Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.15 - 00.06.24.67.png
    930.3 KB · Views: 43
Oooh, congrats. The Cutter is a wonderful ship.

Well, to each their own. I rather enjoy it. It gives me a good reason to roam about on planet surfaces, which I have always liked.

Back in the day it was searching for downed pilots, but those missions are long gone.

This works even better, and the sights are excellent nowadays.

There is just something missing in it. I did it because I like the idea of random discovery too, flying around exploring new planets etc. but when I actually did it, it just felt... meh.

BTW, how does the heatmap work? Its just this brown and turquoise thingy, what am I supposed to be looking for? And is there a key to toggle between heat map and normal view (without going to combat mode)?

Last edited:
Oh, this minimum distance to next bio sample on Observatory is very handy! (y)

On the exploration side, I hear "all premium boost materials in system" and/or "all materials in system". Not quite sure what the latter implies - it's not all.

EDIT Just found a pristine metallic ring with a platinum hotspot and no pirates - quite close to the bubble too!

EDIT 2 Nostrum Ridcully is now Perdita X Dream.

Last edited:
Decided to get allied with the Fleet Carrier Owners Club minor faction, because that's where our Colonia ferry dropped us off 😹

After a few minor package delivery missions, the board generated me 2 cargo runs to the same system some 200ly away for a solid reward of rep and materials. An uneventful trip, but on the way back I figured I'd take time to do some scanning; which found me a lightly atmospheric world with a bio signal.

bacteria.jpg

Which taught me the skill of driving on external camera, because these bacterial pools were not at all easy to spot either from the cockpit or the SRV!

And then I noticed that this planet's binary companion didn't have a first footfall... so obviously I went to remedy that. NGL, I am surprised and happy that there are still planets within the bubble that commanders can tag. This one even had points of interest on it 😸

footfall.jpg

Also, chrome paint job is made for bright planets like this.

And then I went to get first footfall on the planet next door and bashed half my shield off due to massively underestimating the gravity. Still, justifies all the engineering I've been doing on it, since the same impact would have dinged the hull on my python. Explorers need shield boosters too! 😹

Edit: sad times. I am carrying 250t of cargo... here. Teaches me not to check ahead.

1642244723496.png

Last edited:
BTW, how does the heatmap work?
It’s not really a heat map, they changed it during the alpha. It’s just one color, but the terrain shows through a bit. Anyplace that’s blue can have the stuff you have filtered for. You can change the filter while the surface scanner is active only. It’s a bit awkward but that’s how it works. You can’t see or change the map once you exit glide.

Wait, is this literally I was the first person to log that bacteria on this inhabited planet? This feels like either a misleading message, or people aren't stopping to smell the sludge pools 😸

View attachment 286221
Looks like you were first.

Remember as you pointed out the planet is further away than the attention span of the instant gratification types and bacteria are usually very hard to spot, though not always a planet I was on recently with a terracotta surface had white bacteria swirls which were easily visible from my ship even beyond composition scanner range. Mind you things are back to normal on my current planet.

It’s not really a heat map, they changed it during the alpha. It’s just one color, but the terrain shows through a bit. Anyplace that’s blue can have the stuff you have filtered for. You can change the filter while the surface scanner is active only. It’s a bit awkward but that’s how it works. You can’t see or change the map once you exit glide.
Here's the actual dev reply on that.

Top Bottom