What is the median CR balance for all commanders?

We killed a griefer in a conda this week. He was flying a non-engineered conda with a 2mil bounty. Geez, must be sitting on billions of VO credits.
How on earth do you grief in that

unless it's the "cause lockdown by killing NPCs" kind of grief

how did he even got a bounty that big in an unengineered conda without accidentally pulling the wrong, very engineered, opponent and getting pulverised

You can do what I did and pick a home Station with a Manufactured Mats Trader. As I only do combat, I fill up on these Mats so fast I figured I might as well live with the appropriate Trader. Has worked out well.
It's a shame that mat traders only exist in medium/high sec so you have to choose between a trader and an interstellar factors.

Cash in hand at 8.775 billion with another 2 billion or so in assets. That will quite possibly increase sharply again when I get back from exploring out in the Black and do a bit more mining.

One needs to ensure that funds are sufficient for a Fleet Carrier when they arrive in 3307-ish.

The reason the majority of commanders are probably well below 1b creds is because they don't need more than that. You reach a point at which money isn't a factor any more, which is when you have the ships you most enjoy flying and enough in the bank for quite a few rebuys and/or potential future purchases at the sub-carrier level. As @Capt Bellinger has pointed out, a few people have likely begun hoarding cash for carriers, but my guess is that it isn't all that many.

I certainly don't prioritize having more than 1b in the bank, especially since I have zero interest in carriers.

Agree, but now that takes some coding logic:
The "mode" is the value that occurs most often. If no number in the list is repeated, then there is no mode for the list.

You would have to round the list of CR balances to the nearest X for that to be practical.

Give me the raw data and it can be loaded into EXCEL and show you the mode, the median and the mean. And graph it with the histogram function. It would take me about 5 minutes to gin that up.

That said: the mode in a data set like the current CR balance for each player would be pretty useless due to the nature of the mode just like Krash stated. Both median and mean though would be meaningful. Measuring skew would be a good thing to look at too - I seriously doubt that the distribution would be a standard normal (bell) curve though.

Personnaly I have a net worth of around 2.5B (at least the last time I looked) with a cash balance that hovers around Cr 300M. I don't spend a lot anymore - got all the ships I want and most of what I spend goes towards repairs, buying the occassional module to experiment with different builds and stuff like that.

Which begs the question - what is the average net worth of players?

The reason the majority of commanders are probably well below 1b creds is because they don't need more than that. You reach a point at which money isn't a factor any more, which is when you have the ships you most enjoy flying and enough in the bank for quite a few rebuys and/or potential future purchases at the sub-carrier level. As @Capt Bellinger has pointed out, a few people have likely begun hoarding cash for carriers, but my guess is that it isn't all that many.

I certainly don't prioritize having more than 1b in the bank, especially since I have zero interest in carriers.
pretty much, once you've got more than a bil there's literally nothing in the game to buy with it. The most expensive theoretically possible build in the game is a little over 1.6 billion, and that's doing ridiculous stuff like putting seven interdictors and eight a-rated kill warrant scanners on an all-turreted-beam cutter.

The reason the majority of commanders are probably well below 1b creds is because they don't need more than that.
Possibly so, but I'd say 1bn isn't really the point where money is no longer a factor.

I thought about getting to several billion credits before the mining supply/demand mechanic, but it was just so incomprehensibly boring that I didn't bother. Now I have to blink a few times when buying a 200m power plant and some armor to engineer, because it dips me closer to 500mil margin. Maybe if I had 3-4 billions grinded I wouldn't.

Last edited:
pretty much, once you've got more than a bil there's literally nothing in the game to buy with it.
What the heck, why not? Have 1bn, A-rate a Cutter and you need to work yourself back to 1bn.

Or do you mean "when you have more than a billion and a few billion in assets, you have nothing to buy"?

What the heck, why not? Have 1bn, A-rate a Cutter and you need to work yourself back to 1bn.

Maxing out one of the Big 3 is the only money dump that big, assuming you are even interested in them. And if you are, and obtain one, it won't be terribly long before you earn another billion with their earning potential and have nothing to do with it. I have 500m in the bank and Credit is not a factor for me by any stretch of the imagination.

FCs will of course likely change this, which is surely part of it's intended purpose. Rumored base building, likely far more so.

Maxing out one of the Big 3 is the only money dump that big, assuming you are even interested in them. And if you are, and obtain one, it won't be terribly long before you earn another billion with their earning potential and have nothing to do with it. I have 500m in the bank and Credit is not a factor for me by any stretch of the imagination.
Without doubt, but if one is not investing to the big ships, you can't really say that there's nothing to buy. Having nothing to buy is of course entirely subjective, but you can't just say that 1bn credits is some sort of magic number when credits don't matter. Cash + assets is far more relevant.

If you are happy flying a Cobra, credits won't matter after 20mil.

An updated overview as of February 2020. Same method was used to provide comparable results, just the sample size is bigger (~125k of commanders). Same as before - the data is based on Inara commanders only and may not provide an accurate picture of true wealth of all commanders in the game, so take the following numbers just as a representation of a subset of commanders, which may be skewed by many factors.

~ 79% commanders are having less than 1 billion in credits (was 82%)
~ 21% are having more than 1 billion in credits (was 18%)
~ 9.5% are having more than 2 billions in credits (was 7%)
~ 3% are having more than 5 billions (was 2%)
~ 1.2% are having more than 10 billions (was 0.7%)
~ 0.3% are having more than 20 billions (was 0.2%)
My NPCs are in the top 3% 😀
crew.jpg

I stopped specifically chasing credits shortly after getting my second Corvette. But I still do missions and bounty hunting because I like to, and I can get credits and materials from all those pirate condas that keep inderdicting me.

I just rolled over the 5bn mark and was a bit surprised when I did. But as I enjoy building and modifying ships to try out (and usually throw away), I do need to make a few credits and scarf up some mats on a fairly regular basis because once I hit a new watermark, I don't want to fall below it unless I have to. Why? I have no clue... shrugs

Top Bottom