What is your favorite small or medium ship?

What is your favorite small or medium ship and why do you prefer it?
Bonus points: If you prefer flying smaller ships in general, why?

Many players (especially new players) seem to think that they need one of the "big 3" ships to have any fun in this game. Personally, I find the big ships to be ponderous and not much fun to fly.

My favorite is the Asp Explorer, which has a great jump range, the fantastic Lakon "fishbowl cockpit", and is versatile, so it can fulfill many roles.

What's your favorite?

Last edited:
Shes in the sig .. my little impotent rage , top of the line engineered out the wazoo courier. Outfitted for combat she'll still pull a respectable 757ms with cheek clenching manueverability and armour on par with ships above her weightclass. My only real gripe is shes not got the big teeth for larger game but pound for pound stands up next to some of the best ships around (speaking purely personal of course).

Last edited:
Until 2.3 it was the iCourier.. now it's the Dolphin, hands down. Small, cheap and makes a phenomenal explorer and generally fun to fly.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
My Asp Explorer is my favorite. I bought a Python to grind with, when grind time was done it was goodbye Python and hello my old friend the Asp. My old Cobra mk 3 comes in second. The Asp doesn't get much love anymore it seems, everyone wants to fly Anacondas and Diamondbacks around, but for me the Asp was what I grinded for probably close to 9 months or a year to get, and once I was in it I never looked back, even though the Cobra is a really good ship in it's own right.

• Like (+1)
My head was briefly turned by the Courier, but ultimately it's a toss up between the DBS and the Viper Mk.III for me.

I like the DBS for its pitch rate, and the Viper for its phenomenal acceleration.

• Like (+1)
It's either Cobra, or Courier for me. Probably lean towards Courier as of recent, but using Cobra sometimes too if I need something small.

• Like (+1)
My favorite small ship is easily the cobra 3 my favorite medium is the fdl obviously because a good grade 5 dd roll turns the thing into an eagle and can't complain about having 4 rapid fire pulses with a corrosive multi

• Like (+1)
My Cobra. Not anyone else's. My Cobra :)

247756x4967.jpg

As an Imperial, I find this difficult to admit. Federal Dropship (all hail the rapid-fire dakka dakka).

--
If the Orca was a medium, though, that'd take top billing (it has a flight model to die for); I spend a huge amount of time in Orca. The most used medium would be dropship at this point, easily, and I mostly only fly what I enjoy flying (at this point).

Last edited:
Is no one going to mention the vulture? Fine then, I will.

It's a wonderful combat vessel, very maneuverable, plenty of punch, good shields, good armor, and a small power plant.

"But wait!" I hear you cry, " isn't that a bad thing?" Not at all, because the best part of the vulture, is you learn things by flying it.

You learn to manage your power priorities, it's perfect for learning FA off tech, and how to track enemies. Overall a fantastic ship whose only drawback is an, I would argue, pointlessly short jump range.

Stay Frosty,

Cmnd Fulsom

Is no one going to mention the vulture? Fine then, I will.

It's a wonderful combat vessel, very maneuverable, plenty of punch, good shields, good armor, and a small power plant.

"But wait!" I hear you cry, " isn't that a bad thing?" Not at all, because the best part of the vulture, is you learn things by flying it.

You learn to manage your power priorities, it's perfect for learning FA off tech, and how to track enemies. Overall a fantastic ship whose only drawback is an, I would argue, pointlessly short jump range.

Stay Frosty,

Cmnd Fulsom

Or just slap a good g5 oc roll

Vulture for the handling, survivability and its ability to land anywhere with ease

case in point: a friend and i were collecting mats and data from bases, me in a Vulch and he in a Cutter. the planet was very lumpy. i landed next to the base and popped my SRV and waited... it took him over 30 mins to find a spot where his Cutter could land and then drive over to where i was. i kept my mouth shut, i didn't need to say anything :)

You learn to manage your power priorities
and then you engineer your PP to 21mW and prioritising becomes something 'we used to do back in the old days' - it's great never seeing the overload warning any more

...but yeah, i take your point. the (pre-engineered) Vulture forces you to understand and use that power stuff - because without maximising it, you had a ship that couldn't really do much at all

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
It's really depending on the mission and purpose the ship has.

These days I fly the Fer de Lance the most of these two classes, just to have some fun killing something (and earn a fast mill. or two in an hours work) and or squeezing in a Planetary Scan Mission or two.

Sometimes I fall back on the Cobra Mk.III for fast PSMs or smuggle runs, where the chance is high I could lose a ship.

But as my main workhorse and long distance courier, explorer or fleets "tugboat" I'd always fly the ASPEx over any ship else.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Difficult choice because of courier but in the end small ship cobra medium asp scout.
Reason allround usability and manouverability.
Smaller ships in in general are more fun more engaging and if you do it right you can earn a lot with them and let's not forget the rebuy.

• Like (+1)
Another one for the Vulture. I like a ship that does one thing good... Vulture has only one thing going for her and she does it with gusto.

Second I like my traveling planetarium... both the Anaconda and DBX now have better range but neither have the view...besides it's still very nice to put it in front of things.

• Like (+1)
Top Bottom