What's the Brand New Feature for ED in 2024?

That line of text was removed. When did you take the screenshot?
Probably before Vingtetun said this ...
Well - we DID record audio for base building - but that's part of the generic script we do to allow us to use audio across many games (including those that do have that feature). All sorts of games are covered by our scripts, from Elite and "that other one that people talk about a lot" to "that other other one that came out at the end of last year" and "some Starwars stuff" and others.. Nowt to do with Elite though. Will edit that bit out! Good spot.
As has been said by two people now in this thread, HCS Voice packs are not just for Elite Dangerous. They probably work with No Man's Sky as well, which does have base building.

For god's sake.... the developer of HCS just said in this thread that it was an error.

Remember when the ARX description said buy customisations for buildings? The description seems too specific to be a random error. Shall I quote you when we'll probably have it. ;)

Last edited:
Even if base building is in the cards down the line that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy between Frontier and HCS going on. At this point, you're fishing for everything confirming your fixation that base building is the new feature, and you see proof where none is. Maybe it will be the new feature, maybe it won't. Nobody knows, and (again) there is no conspiracy between Frontier, HCS, or anyone.

I suggest to chill out.

If I was FDev all this arguing about base building would convince me to ditch any plans to introduce it into the game as too divisive a feature.

Even if base building is in the cards down the line that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy between Frontier and HCS going on. At this point, you're fishing for everything confirming your fixation that base building is the new feature, and you see proof where none is.

All the speculation about base building didn't come out of thin air. There were hints about it years ago. If that isn't enough clues that it's coming sooner or later then I don't know what is. It's not definitive proof, but it adds up to the pile of hints. I wouldn't mind if it's something else such as Earth Like Worlds or Ship Interiors though.

Last edited:
That line of text was removed on HSC Voicepacks. When did you take the screenshot? It is visible in the Google description: "Give spoken commands when building and upgrading outposts".

It seems like base building was planned all along, yet shelved due to the rocky launch of Odyssey and the less than expected sales.

It's still there on other ED voice packs.
I took the screenshot yesterday, just before posting it here. There was a clarifying post by @Paul - HCS VoicePacks - COVAS a few posts after mine, clearing things up.

If I was FDev all this arguing about base building would convince me to ditch any plans to introduce it into the game as too divisive a feature.
Yes, of course, it would benefit your opinion of not wanting base building :D . On the other hand, seeing that some players are willing to pay for base building and/or relevant cosmetics, they may introduce them :D 🤷‍♂️

Isn't it just about 2 years since Frontier asked for comments on engineering?

To me it appears likely that the new feature might equally well be a revamped engineering. 2 years of design and implementation sounds just about right timewise..

Even if base building is in the cards down the line that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy between Frontier and HCS going on. At this point, you're fishing for everything confirming your fixation that base building is the new feature, and you see proof where none is. Maybe it will be the new feature, maybe it won't. Nobody knows, and (again) there is no conspiracy between Frontier, HCS, or anyone.

I suggest to chill out.
I don't see it as a conspiracy between anyone. It could have been a heads up between companies to synchronise their product releases to accommodate future plans. Not specifically for base building but for any other game feature. We'll have to wait and see.

Remember when the ARX description said buy customisations for buildings?

Dont take what you think something means to be what it actually means - especially when it's about dreams.txt confirmation bias, you'd get burned really bad

for example, empire_trader is the Imperial Clipper, the typex is the Chieftain, while type9_military is the type 10 😂
and there are lots and lots of examples in the journals that show the discrepancies between fdev internal / coding naming convention and the actual in-game name.

From this post

1709642599910.png

Probably before Vingtetun said this ...

As has been said by two people now in this thread, HCS Voice packs are not just for Elite Dangerous. They probably work with No Man's Sky as well, which does have base building.
I had a quick look at the NMS product descriptions which paradoxically don’t mention base building :)

It doesn't seem like an error, because that description has been there for multiple ED voice packs for years.
It's not an error. The mistake is yours however in thinking that "building outposts" refers to Elite, when Elite is not the only game HCS voicepacks can be used for.
I had a quick look at the NMS product descriptions which paradoxically don’t mention base building :)
How old is the description? Base building wasn't in NMS from the start.

How old is the description?
The one on steam today, I'd guess.
But, by the same token, it doesn't mention fantasy themed flora & fauna, but "inspired by Sci-Fi" which could be very loosely correct, depending on whose writing etc. was used as a reference...

Top Bottom