What's the Brand New Feature for ED in 2024?

I would hope that it requires Odyssey.

If the DLC is on planetary surfaces with tenuous atmospheres then Odyssey would be required. If it's base building that could be sold as a separate DLC, but how many people would be willing to pay for it? It would be safer to release it as a free update.

If it's access to new planet types that could be sold as separate DLC.

I've said it before. But I'm in a minority here, if fdev want subs to continue "fast tracking" new content, like base building, ship interiors, piracy rework, bounty hunting rework, pvp rework, comms, etc etc I'd happily pay.
But they'd lose more cmdrs unwilling to pay than gain willing to pay hehe 😜

I've said it before. But I'm in a minority here, if fdev want subs to continue "fast tracking" new content, like base building, ship interiors, piracy rework, bounty hunting rework, pvp rework, comms, etc etc I'd happily pay.

They could add an optional subscription fee. The subs get for example weekly Arx, early access, cosmetics, a special sub-forum.

Last edited:
If the DLC is on planetary surfaces with tenuous atmospheres then Odyssey would be required. If it's base building that could be sold as a separate DLC, but how many people would be willing to pay for it? It would be safer to release it as a free update.
If it were a PDLC then historically Frontier have rolled the prior PDLC into the base game so either way it doesn't make any sense to not do it for Odyssey. The recently revised pricing structure makes it clear in my mind that Frontier want Odyssey to be the standard and my feeling is that the majority of actual players have been in Odyssey a while now.

If it's access to new planet types that could be sold as separate DLC.
As stated above, that still means it would likely be Odyssey, I mean what's the point in having atmospheric planets and not Odyssey's light atmos, or is it that we're still working under the vain hope that Frontier is going to to revert the onfoot sections of Elite?

You propose quite the conundrum, but I think paying players will trump threats from hold outs.

They could add an optional subscription fee. The subs get for example weekly Arx, early access, cosmetics, a special sub-forum.
I've suggested at premium/season pass, or whatever name it would be called. I personally think it would be worth considering if it gave paying players advance access to ship kits/paint jobs etc.. with the odd exclusive thrown in there. Nothing more than cosmetics though or else...

Indeed they could. But it would be very star citizenesque leading to all kinds of assumptions which may or may not be justified hehe
Frontier would be going full CIG, and no-one wants to go full CIG...

No point rolling the previous game into the new one if they insist on segregating the gameplay and not integrating them. 😛

Rolling the previous expansions into the base game is a smart move to boost the value. However, they could sell big DLC separately. For example:
  1. Base game to attract newbies - low price
  2. Tenuous atmospheric worlds, new gameplay, content (space legs) - paid DLC
  3. Gas giants, new gameplay, content - paid DLC
  4. Volcanic, ocean worlds, new gameplay, content - paid DLC
  5. ELW, new gameplay, content - paid DLC
  6. Ship interiors and EVA - paid DLC

Last edited:
Whatever it is, I hope it involves using our ships in some way.

I have almost zero interest in hanging out on one planet battling with some clunky UI (Fallout - I’m looking at you!) building a largely pointless base that will limit me to staying in or near that one system.

EVA capability “on foot” with some ship wrecks or asteroid belt exploration might be kinda cool. Especially if they can combine that with getting up from your seat and walking to the airlock …

The good place to start would be to integrate the existing pieces first.
Making every in-game scripted event (Thargoid or other content, CG etc.) exclusive to Odyssey would encourage the hold-outs a little (or they might just lurk and complain for years that the game dared to change.) but would still require Horizons 4.x because some are certain to resist spending on EDO, even when it is much reduced.

Sadly, Legacy is a tough one - yes, Consoles and the PC players who still inhabit Legacy could be thrown under the bus.... But that wouldn't make any friends.

So, while agreeing that something should be done, it is a little obvious that what needs to be done to achieve parity is not possible, today at least.

ETA: It would make so much sense if the Python Mk II and the other, at least 3, 'new' ships coming in the next year were exclusive to EDO...

Last edited:
Excuse me, but what is the big wish for ship interiors. What would you do? Walk around, eat a meal, go to bed? Check your cargo? Nearly everyone screams for ship interiors, but, BORING...

Would much rather something more involved than the ability to stroll the decks of my cockpit...
Doesn’t have to be complex but the act of getting up from your pilots seat and then walking around the cockpit before choosing what you do next would be far more interesting than the current “fade to black” approach linking effectively entirely disparate game modes.

In terms of stuff to do - there could be some better way to link existing content and maybe some QOL additions:

• Airlock to exit the ship when docked or start an EVA in space
  • Gantry/ladder to vehicle bays with option to select Launch Fighter or Deploy SRV (if fitted)
  • Terminal for Engineering your current ship right there and then (like the remote engineering in a station but only for this ship)

Nothing earth-shattering, I know, but would add some needed “connections” between the ship / vehicle / on-foot gameplay.

Which the majority might do a few times, for atmosphere, before electing the quick teleport method, is the most likely scenario.
I dunno - if it’s quick enough there’d be no need for a teleport. This is a game where people can fly for 90 minutes to reach a space station, after all?!

If folks are concerned about the time taken to walk to a door perhaps we should add interstellar fast travel and instant engineering whilst we’re at it?

I dunno - if it’s quick enough there’d be no need for a teleport.
You've played SF, haven't you?
This is a game where people can fly for 90 minutes to reach a space station, after all?!
More often than not, just the once.. (Unless they are Hutton Truckers, naturally)
If folks are concerned about the time taken to walk to a door perhaps we should add interstellar fast travel and instant engineering whilst we’re at it?
Or just do everything from a single menu and not need to play? Then the billions can be earned while playing Saints & Sinners II or Arizona Sunshine II...
You are not new here - probably read the posts over time asking for exactly that - no engineer visits, no long supercruise times, instant ship transfer...

ETA: But then, there are requests for ship interiors, by a limited number of forum members, that have no gameplay included, just to walk around for versimilitude (of which some dislike the walking feature of EDO!) , so pleasing everyone is, as always, impossible.

Last edited:
You've played SF, haven't you?

More often than not, just the once.. (Unless they are Hutton Truckers, naturally)

Or just do everything from a single menu and not need to play? Then the billions can be earned while playing Saints & Sinners II or Arizona Sunshine II...
You are not new here - probably read the posts over time asking for exactly that - no engineer visits, no long supercruise times, instant ship transfer...

ETA: But then, there are requests for ship interiors, by a limited number of forum members, that have no gameplay included, just to walk around for versimilitude (of which some dislike the walking feature of EDO!) , so pleasing everyone is, as always, impossible.
Indeed - whatever it is, some will be happy and others not!

Maybe it’ll be a new “assault / defence” gameplay loop which links ship (CZ battle around a ground base) followed by deploying in SRVs or on-foot once the air defences are down …

I dunno … it would just be nice if the game modes had more synergy to them rather than acting as almost entirely separate games with just credits shared between them.

Especially if they can combine that with getting up from your seat and walking to the airlock …
The thing is Fdev kind of designed themselves into a corner as it were immersion wise. We already have effectively a teleport to the surface button and they can’t take it away.

Adding extra steps to get out of the chair and into the SRV on foot should have been part of the Horizons DLC if it was going to be in there at all.

I think that adding extra menu interfaces for getting up and using the airlock and their associated delays etc at this point would reduce immersion if anything.

The thing is Fdev kind of designed themselves into a corner as it were immersion wise. We already have effectively a teleport to the surface button and they can’t take it away.

Adding extra steps to get out of the chair and into the SRV on foot should have been part of the Horizons DLC if it was going to be in there at all.

I think that adding extra menu interfaces for getting up and using the airlock and their associated delays etc at this point would reduce immersion if anything.
I strongly disagree. Starfield has both from the start, the instant teleport and the walk. I enjoy both at appropriate times. Of course Starfield has actual gameplay value in the interiors, mods added more, but that isn't all easily repeatable in ED. A gear engineering station is a no-brainer. A functional infirmary only make sense when an injury/illness system is also in place. A functional brig requires a system of non-lethal takedowns and restrainment.

Which the majority might do a few times, for atmosphere, before electing the quick teleport method, is the most likely scenario.
Which is what happened with me in Starfield. And in games like Empyrion Galactic Survival and Space Engineers, where I build my ships but teleportation isn’t an option, I favor either fighter sized, or placing the ship entrance as close as possible to the cockpit.

I build bases the same way. Most used stuff near the entrance, least further out, and non-functional decorative spaces out furthest, assuming I survive long enough to get decorative...

Other games have features that some consider would be good to have in ED, nothing particularly wrong with that desire.

RL is that Frontier are extremely unlikely to spend more revenue than the games raises in development costs, Odyssey didn't make its development costs back, the risk of another poor reception to an expansion is probably at the forefront of their corporate thinking.

i'd guess we will get small features added to ED until it stops being profitable, but PDLC may never be on the menu.

Top Bottom