Why own one of the Passenger Liners?

Spaceliner balancing in this game feels massively confused, you've got spaceliners larger than some aircraft carriers with a truly massive amount of implied internal space, but they can't haul more passengers than a modern aircraft for shorter trips, even dedicating all the biggest internal slots to the most crowded passenger cabins.

A Boeing 747 can carry over 400 passengers, but a Beluga with all optional internal slots filled with economy passenger cabins can only carry 184 people. How big does an economy cabin have to be? Are the implied internal seating areas actually solid walls that lead to nothing? Even considering all the extra internals and parts of the base hull such as cooling systems and drives, it's still like if you halved the passenger capacity of a Boeing's main section and put bells and whistles inside.
Beside the essential differences between 747 and Beluga already mentioned there is also the fact that the 747 only needs a pipe leading to the engines where compressed external air can be bled off passed through a heat exchanger and probably a filter to provide life support for everyone on board, various other systems can be far less self contained or robust than the Beluga as well.

Regarding the fuel scoop, if people could spare an extra 10 or 15 seconds, they'd likely not be targeting longer jump ranges (caveat being reaching stars otherwise unreachable). Time is space is time, etc.

Beside the essential differences between 747 and Beluga already mentioned there is also the fact that the 747 only needs a pipe leading to the engines where compressed external air can be bled off passed through a heat exchanger and probably a filter to provide life support for everyone on board, various other systems can be far less self contained or robust than the Beluga as well.
And a 747 might have issues trying to fly in space, let alone jump many light years.

Regarding the fuel scoop, if people could spare an extra 10 or 15 seconds, they'd likely not be targeting longer jump ranges (caveat being reaching stars otherwise unreachable). Time is space is time, etc.
As mentioned, it depends on your style of exploration. If your primary goal is to get from system A to system B as fast as possible, without wasting a single second, then you want the biggest fuel scoop you can get.

However, many explorers, when far from the Bubble, like to check every system they visit. Has it been discovered? Does the "ping" report a number of stellar bodies higher than what's visible in the system map, and thus worthy of a FSS? Maybe if there are some juicy previously-undiscovered ELWs, WWs, AWs or terraformables, go DSS them... In this case even the smaller fuel scoop is perfectly fine.

And a 747 might have issues trying to fly in space, let alone jump many light years.

Might? :)

As mentioned, it depends on your style of exploration. If your primary goal is to get from system A to system B as fast as possible, without wasting a single second, then you want the biggest fuel scoop you can get.

However, many explorers, when far from the Bubble, like to check every system they visit. Has it been discovered? Does the "ping" report a number of stellar bodies higher than what's visible in the system map, and thus worthy of a FSS? Maybe if there are some juicy previously-undiscovered ELWs, WWs, AWs or terraformables, go DSS them... In this case even the smaller fuel scoop is perfectly fine.

There's something to be said for the "best" efficiency for doing a job. If I'm going somewhere, I want the best jump-range and for the ship to stay nice and cool for efficient fuel scooping. My DBX fits this role. The journey is NOT the experience, the destination is, in some situations. However, if the journey is the experience - say I'm just exploring for the joy of it - then that's totally different to me and I may well chose the different ship for the role.

I still love Combat in my original Asp Explorer, I bought back in the very early-days. It's not very good at it, but for some reason I find it immensely satisfying. If however, I was on a bit of a fund raiser via Combat Bonds and Bounties, that's likely not the ship I'd pick.

The fact that ships can perform roles they're perhaps not optimised for is cool, though I do wish Passenger Transports had more to distinguish them than Luxury Cabins from the feature perspective. I suggested, a very long time ago now, that perhaps a Luxury Liner turning up at a port, would open up a whole host of additional transport missions. Docking in a Type 7 with some basic cabins isn't going to attract the same people who want to travel in style. I.e. make the presence of a Passenger Liner trigger better missions. The missions are there just for the player after all, so why not respond to what the player has, so to speak.

According to American educational TV show this is a rocket ship. So maybe a 747 can fly in space.
Little Einsteins.png

If you convert it to run on Cheddite and fit shut off valves in those pipes to the engines I mentioned it should be fine.

The super science in this example is courtesy of Harry Harrison’s excellent publication Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers

Hey all,

Been pondering this, so thought I'd ask, as I don't currently have any of this ship Class. Years ago, when I loved being a Bus driver and doing tourist missions, I picked up the Baluga, thinking it'd be the best ship for this role and I'd get tonnes of extra credits from it's Luxury cabins. That of course wasn't true and an Anaconda or a Python were great for these roles. It's those two ships I continued to use. I still have a Passenger Cabin equipped Python parked out near Robigo IIRC.

So, as Passenger Liners were never the way to transport passenger, I wonder what others are using them for. Have you found roles in which they excel? Are there particular feature they have that you've found value in? Indeed, has anything changed regarding moving Passengers around that means they finally work for their intended niche?

This is just a "how do you use yours" sort of thread, I want to see how other players are enjoying their Passenger Liners, in whatever role it may be.

Random thoughts on what they might be good at... Good for jump range / long distance travel. Do they run particularly cold / stealthy?

Cheers.
I have been out of the game for a little bit of time. And I’ve been back for a little bit but I haven’t been doing passenger rides. But I was doing passenger rides previously, probably some last year.

Yes, there are some changes that have happened. I noticed right off the bat that there are a lot of passenger missions that are one-way trips from about 80 to almost 100 light years. Those were not there previously when I was playing. I mean you always had the around 20 light-year jumps to neighboring systems. You could find the colonial one-way trips. There was always the sightseeing trips for you know taking somebody to one, two, or three tourist beacons. And there was the deep space tourist missions. Those are all still there, but I’ve noticed a difference and sum of the pricing.

For example, I noticed most of the deep space tourist missions are first class. Keep in mind I really only look at these at a few different stations today. But they seem different to me. Previously if I wanted 50 million, which was the top and I think it still is, then I was taking somebody 37,000 light years out in back again. But I saw a first class rich tourist paying 47 million for a ride about 18 or 19,000 light years out. That I have never seen before. I saw plenty of missions going to that region of space. Most were probably worth around 20 to 30 million.

Most of those were in the 20 or 30 million range which still isn’t that bad. But I have never seen 47 million for something that close. Also, I’m not even sure they were first class missions into deep space. I don’t know that for sure but, I thought they were all economy previously.

The missions that are like 80 to 100 ly all paid between two and 5 million give or take. Those you can make in a couple of jumps. Sometimes I see two going to the same system. So that’s 10 million for two jumps and docking the ship. Up to 10 million. I haven’t really checked into how to maximize that. I’m not exactly sure how the traffic is moving or if it’s predictable. Or how to stack those kinds of trips. So if you can stack a bunch of them. I don’t know how you can use a big ship to do them efficiently.

Most of what I’m seeing is first class or below, but I do see luxury missions. Here’s the thing about these missions. Most VIP missions are six people or less. Though I did see one for seven people, and I think that was the one that was paying 47 million. So if your beluga will have the capacity for four cabins of size 6 luxury. They each hold eight people so you can pretty much pick up most VIP visions. I haven’t looked a whole bunch yet but I haven’t seen a first class mission for 12 people. Not today at least. Of course, if you can get one for 12 people it will pay a lot more. It will either pay a lot more, or you won’t have to carry them as far to make good money. That’s the way it looks like it works. So if I had a full 12 people first class, then maybe I could make 47 or 50 million by only carrying them 12 or 13,000 light years.

I haven’t seen any luxury missions going out into deep space, but I don’t really know a reliable way to locate luxury missions. I suppose, a rich planet, maybe high-tech, maybe a richer refineries, we’re somewhere where the money is. Not exactly sure how their simulation governs that. But some thing probably governs the generation of richer missions. And richer customers mean more luxury missions probably.

So I think if you’re going into deep space, you might as well take something like an anaconda. I do just fine and you can carry first class cabins. If you want to do, luxury missions, or try to figure out how to find them, or be ready for the occasion when that’s up, then you can put maybe one luxury cabin on there And fly the beluga. Or you could put more than one. Like I said with eight seats per cabin, you could take most VIP missions anyways. Then he will just be ready with luxury seats if you needed them.

I haven’t seen any changes to bulk missions, but I didn’t have economy or larger cabins equipped when I was looking. I was just really checking out the VIP missions, so my cabins were all higher class, but smaller. But I did kind of scan the grade out missions, and the prices, and they look roughly the same. But they also are very short distance to. the colonial boat passenger missions still look the same. You know you’re paying anywhere from 250,000 for economy per seat, up to 500 and something thousand for first class. And the economy turns out to be better because they have more seats per cabin, and filling up a first class cabin with even the higher paying passengers doesn’t come out to more . And overall none of those have ever really tried to be enough to actually fly all the way to Colonia. But if you’re ever going, I guess you could just load of a bunch of passenger and courier missions, but you’re probably still just fine going with something make an anaconda.

Short answer, yes, there of been some changes.

I will also add that having a higher standing with the factions will lead to see more of the missions. That’s another reason why it wasn’t so simple to see how to stack those 80 to 100 light year one-way trips. Because I can pick them up from someplace where I am allies with most of the factions, but when I get there, I won’t, I won’t be able to see that as many missions. So it probably means that you need to raise your standing with those factions, and with possibly factions and other planets, so that you can pick up where you drop off. But I haven’t done any of that with his longer missions. So I don’t know how that’s really going to work out.

Last edited:
There is a major design flaw in the Dolphin, Orca and presumably the Beluga.

The light spill from the holoprojector that generates the cargo scooping screen reflects on the light coloured/reflective surface behind the display creating a bright background so that the display is difficult to see.
This makes scooping more difficult than it needs to be and is annoying in situations where limpet supplies are restricted.

Of course, but the comment was regarding jump range. I didn't quote the comment I was referring to, but the comment that sparing 15 seconds you could go with a smaller scoop, the purpose of doing that was to fit other modules, but the reason for the build in the 1st place was the 70LY (or so) jump range. So yeah, bucky balling across the galaxy vs exploring, those are different play styles. You could build for longer range and only need it on occasion, but imo the biggest reason people do it is to save stacked time for long runs.

Last edited:
Jump range a very reasonable 60ly laden - 16t of corrosive resistant cargo capacity onboard.
Boosts to 534m/s.
Squeezes into the tightest of landing spots.
Simultaneous scoop & FSD charge sits reassuringly below 60% on the thermals.

Most important - no passenger cabins, it's mine, all mine to enjoy!
What's not to lurve about the Dolphin?
RedRambler.jpg

Top Bottom