Why own one of the Passenger Liners?

Maybe. You're also talking to a guy who has 1A Prismatics on an exploration built Sidewinder, so....there's that.

My thing would be the edge cases and reaching otherwise inaccessible places. With neutron boosting and synthesis, that .73ly can turn into almost 3 and that's significant. Of course, now with carriers, it's a largely irrelevant point, but back before them, I would nail bite over ever decimal because I couldn't imagine myself being on the outer rim and missing out on a system because I was some decimal of a light year short on range.
Valid points but for outer edges or places i know will be difficult (solo without my FC) i wouldn't take the Beluga, it would defo be my AspEx.

O7

I think, once the current phase of Thargoid stuff is over, I'll pick myself up a Dolphin and have a play. That said, I bought a Clipper a couple of weeks ago and haven't done anything with that yet. Still, saving up project ideas for the future keeps me engaged.

The purpose of the Liner is only one thing: to see beautiful places for yourself and show them to passengers) “for fun only”

You're not getting your Elite discount? ;)
If they don’t like the price they could always get it from the other station that has everything in the game, not Jameson’s the other one where you don’t need to be Elite.

My memories really bad I forgot to mention the markup for everything there.

Spaceliner balancing in this game feels massively confused, you've got spaceliners larger than some aircraft carriers with a truly massive amount of implied internal space, but they can't haul more passengers than a modern aircraft for shorter trips, even dedicating all the biggest internal slots to the most crowded passenger cabins.

A Boeing 747 can carry over 400 passengers, but a Beluga with all optional internal slots filled with economy passenger cabins can only carry 184 people. How big does an economy cabin have to be? Are the implied internal seating areas actually solid walls that lead to nothing? Even considering all the extra internals and parts of the base hull such as cooling systems and drives, it's still like if you halved the passenger capacity of a Boeing's main section and put bells and whistles inside.

It doesn't matter if the Beluga carries 4 million passengers. The game will govern the profit accordingly, and it will just be a graphical change in the displayed number of passengers. It's not like you'd have 40 cabins that can take 20 passengers, ergo 20 passenger missions to turn in.

Also, we have no idea how crowded the economy cabins are. They could be quite luxurious compared to a Boeing 1st class section.

The Dolphin is very quiet, which I love. It sounds like a high quality cabin, like noise cancelling headphones.

Last edited:
Spaceliner balancing in this game feels massively confused, you've got spaceliners larger than some aircraft carriers with a truly massive amount of implied internal space, but they can't haul more passengers than a modern aircraft for shorter trips, even dedicating all the biggest internal slots to the most crowded passenger cabins.

A Boeing 747 can carry over 400 passengers, but a Beluga with all optional internal slots filled with economy passenger cabins can only carry 184 people. How big does an economy cabin have to be? Are the implied internal seating areas actually solid walls that lead to nothing? Even considering all the extra internals and parts of the base hull such as cooling systems and drives, it's still like if you halved the passenger capacity of a Boeing's main section and put bells and whistles inside.

The Beluga of similar density to an aircraft, but has far less of it's mass and internal volume dedicated to passengers than a passenger aircraft would, which would make sense given the vastly different capabilities of the craft. Also, economy cabins aren't just seating, they are living quarters. A passenger, for the purposes of an economy cabin not the equivalent of an economy seat on an airliner, but a bunk and associated facilities on an ocean liner. We have modules, but not everything about our ships is modular. A Beluga is also designed for luxury cabins, and a lot of the internal volume probably is wasted on denser configurations; you could put more cots in the first-class cabins on the Titanic, but replacing the grand staircase and promenades is another matter.

None of the passenger accommodations are the equivalent of airliner seating, that would be like three people to a cargo canister. A 747 has 100-120 tons of revenue payload (passengers).

AspEx is great but not a Krait. 🤣
When it comes to long-rage "hard-core" exploration, there may be many opinions of which ship is the best, but one could argue that the "top" four exploration ships are the Anaconda, Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer and the Krait Phantom. I myself have only experience about the middle two (never having even purchased an Annie or the Phantom), but from what I know these would be the advantages and disadvantages (that I'm aware of, and have direct experience with):

Anaconda:
  • Advantages: It's HUGE, which means you can fit anything you'll ever need. Can achieve the largest jump range of all ships. Looks badass.
  • Disadvantages: It's HUGE, which means it handles like a whale swimming in molasses. Can be hard to land on rough terrain.
Diamondback Explorer:
  • Advantages: Can achieve the second-largest jump range of all ships (only about 5-8 LY less than the Anaconda). Very small ship, which makes it maneuverable and easier to land on rough terrain, while still having enough space for everything you need for exploring (including an SRV bay and an AFMU if you fancy that), and even have a bit of cargo space left.
  • Disadvantages: Can only fit a class 4 fuel scoop, which may or may not be a hindrance depending on your style of exploration. You will be spending more time fuel-scooping than any of the other three ships in this list. While looks decent, it doesn't look very badass.
Asp Explorer:
  • Advantages: Can achieve the 3th/4th largest jump range of all ships (very tied with the Phantom, depending on how much you are willing to min-max for range). While larger than the DBX (and thus can fit more stuff), it's still very maneuverable and relatively easy to land on rough terrain. Can fit a class 6 fuel scoop, making scooping very fast.
  • Disadvantages: Looks ugly.
Krait Phantom:
  • Advantages: Extremely similar to the AspX in terms of exploring capabilities and jump range (and might even surpass it slightly if you min-max it enough). Looks badass.
  • Disadvantages: Not as maneuverable as the AspX or the DBX. Partially obstructed cockpit view.
Personally I have a hard time deciding between the DBX and the AspX for the category of "best exploration ship", but the larger module space and larger fuel scoop of the latter probably gives it a slight advantage (especially if you want to get to places very fast.)

Also, economy cabins aren't just seating, they are living quarters. A passenger, for the purposes of an economy cabin not the equivalent of an economy seat on an airliner, but a bunk and associated facilities on an ocean liner. We have modules, but not everything about our ships is modular. A Beluga is also designed for luxury cabins, and a lot of the internal volume probably is wasted on denser configurations; you could put more cots in the first-class cabins on the Titanic, but replacing the grand staircase and promenades is another matter.

basically this 👆

From the wiki, a depiction from the game for passenger cabins, from top to bottom: economy, business, first class, luxury
Basically Economy is just packed bunkbeds (they seem to be confined spaces and not open bunkbeds like in a dormitory), while the rest do look like cabins on ocean liners.

1711357348968.png

When you engineer it properly you should be above 60 LY
I have a few comments on that build.

• The Dolphin doesn't need a size 5 fuel scoop. With a size 4 scoop, the tank is usually filled before the cooldown is up. A size 3 is sufficient if you can spare the extra five to ten seconds, and with a smaller scoop you can fit a size 5 booster.
  • Also, with a size 3 scoop skip one AFMU, and you have room for a cargo rack (ideally a corrosive resistant one), so you can go and collect guardian artefacts and whatnot with it.
  • That Dolphin is very much a paper plane - accidentally boost into the ground, and you might suffer major damage. For an explorer, you main danger (apart from returning to the bubble in open to sell your data in ShinDez) is impact, also known as ramming. Ramming is absolute damage, so going thermal on your armor is a waste of materials - all that counts is absolute damage and thus absolute hull and shields. Going Heavy Duty / Deep Plating on your hull gives you 45% more armor with no penalty (as the lightweight hull weights nothing, there is no markup for HD).
  • If you don't want to OC the plant (which the Dolphin takes in stride), going reinforced / hi-cap gives you 30% more shields with very little jump range penalty. If you are willing to go OC G2, the plant comfortably runs a 4A shield with reinforced/hi-cap for another 12 percent raw shields on top.

If you do these changes to your build, you gain substential survivability against crashes for the penalty of... -0.73 ly unladen. That's right, the penalty is negative, i.e. you gain 0.73 ly. For a penalty of a lightyear or so, two HD 0E shield boosters (the explorers friend) take the Dolphin to comfortable 550 MJ of shields, or 410 with one. By my calculation, with two boosters it still jumps 57.03 ly unladen, with one it does 57.5 ly.

Lastly, If you want to visit guardian sites, I strongly recommend fitting a point defence on top of your ship. In general, investing in some passive protection doesn't cost a lot of range.

Last edited:
Nah, the main quality of the Dolphin is that it's basically fire proof.
You can jump while scooping without breaking a sweat. Literally, Genuinely, Respectfully broken.
it is. You can get close enough to the star to get maximum scoop rate without even sweating, and with a size 4 scoop, the tank is full before the cooldown is up and your next jump target becomes visible.

When you engineer it properly you should be above 60 LY

Close to 60. Maybe 62 for a a paper plane, but why bother.

I will go like this and skip the repair limpets altogether. 467mj of shields, with 4 pips into sys you will bounce off a boost to ground.
Also, PD is better to be Engine focused - no point for charged since you carry no wepons and shield recharge is not important if you dont plan to repeatedly bounce of planets - but you'd want to be able to boost at least 2 times in a short sequence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom