Would like a new, different exploration ship from FD:

Ok, so we have the trusty old ASP Explorer.

It certainly will do for most any situation, if you stretch it here or there. But its overly rustic and that B-29 sound can get a bit old after some time.

Then we have the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" Anaconda, where you don't have to leave anything behind, but you pay for that with a distinct lack of agility - which is really only a problem-problem when jumping to certain types of stars.

Next, we got the Diamondback Explorer... It arguably can be both a smaller and a better package than the ASP for some some jobs. Having the best jump range of all certainly makes it great to get around the bubble, with enough slots to still do stuff. But hell, its even more rustic than the ASP and the sound it makes is just annoying. Looks are a matter of taste, suffice it to say I'd prefer something from Gutamaya.

Personally, my favorite would be an Exploration Version of the FDL - loosing in weapons, shields and armor what it gains in fuel-tank size, FSD range and an assortment of optional slots somewhat better than an ASP, to give you enough flexibility to bring SRV garage, AFM, some cargo, engineering-grind capable etc.

Thus, we could have a more stylish exploration ship in between ASP and Anaconda, only requiring a fairly minimal amount of work for FD.

And maybe in a default British racing green pj?

attachment.php

Last edited:
To make it short: we should have more dedicated exploration ships; preferably manufactured by companies other than Lakon. Gutamaya, Delacy (the Cobra & Annie don't count), Core Dynamics etc.

Lakon's DBX, DBS, ASPX, ASP-S are great and all, but some variety in design is desirable.

Something like a Python but with internals geared towards exploration. So, a larger FSD but smaller PP/PD, fewer hardpoints, lighter hull etc.

I've been campaigning for an Imperial Explorer for years now. A medium sized competitor to the Python, with much worse firepower, slightly less cargo room, but a jump range that rivals the Anaconda plus a cockpit view to give Lakon some competition too.

I've been campaigning for an Imperial Explorer for years now. A medium sized competitor to the Python, with much worse firepower, slightly less cargo room, but a jump range that rivals the Anaconda plus a cockpit view to give Lakon some competition too.

Agreed. I also would like to see an Imperial Explorer.

To make it short: we should have more dedicated exploration ships; preferably manufactured by companies other than Lakon. Gutamaya, Delacy (the Cobra & Annie don't count), Core Dynamics etc.

Lakon's DBX, DBS, ASPX, ASP-S are great and all, but some variety in design is desirable.
We should have dedicated exploration ships period. There is none currently in the game. Conda and AspX are pure multi-purpose ships which just so happen to have insane jump range.

Even the DBX with its decent weapon loadout and not so bad shielding can't really be seen as a dedicated exploration ship (what's this large hardpoint for?).

Jesus man there are 7 good explorer ships.

There are no dedicated explorer ships. The Asp X and the Diamondback X are both refitted combat ships. Not too sure about seven explorer ships though as I only know about the AspX and the DBX. What are the other five?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: HBK
There are no dedicated explorer ships. The Asp X and the Diamondback X are both refitted combat ships. Not too sure about seven explorer ships though as I only know about the AspX and the DBX. What are the other five?
"Usual" exploration ships are the Conda, AspX and DBX. There are people using all kind of ships though. I hear the Orca is pretty decent for example. Same for T6 on a much cheaper price range.

And of course AspS and DBS are not-as-good but cheaper alternatives of their bigger sisters.

Last edited:
"Usual" exploration ships are Conda, AspX and DBX. There are people using all kind of ships though. I hear the Orca is pretty decent for example. Same for T6 on a much cheaper price range.

And of course AspS and DBS are worse but cheaper alternatives of their bigger sisters.

Yep, but I wouldn't call any of them dedicated explorer ships though. I would think that any dedicated explorer ships would always have two size 1 slots for the scanners.

Yep, but I wouldn't call any of them dedicated explorer ships though. I would think that any dedicated explorer ships would always have two size 1 slots for the scanners.
Thoroughly agree.

DBX could fit this description (two class 2 slots) but its weaponry combined to its shielded cargo ability of 48t make it a rather multi-purpose ship.

Jesus man there are 7 good explorer ships.

Technically any ship in the game can explore, just like technically every ship in the game can do combat. However, the fact that every ship has hardpoints does not mean they are “combat ships”, just like the fact that many ships can explore do not make them “exploration ships”.

So, what makes a ship a true exploration ship? What features make it stand above the others? I would argue that there are four strong criteria to classifying a ship well suited for exploration:

• Jump Range. The ship needs to be able to 1) get into deep space, and 2) reach systems at the fringes.
  • Supercruise Agility. Scanning complete systems requires a lot of maneuvering in SC, and the slower the ship the more frustrating and time consuming exploration becomes.
  • Six Internals Minimum. In order for a ship to function adequately as a long term deep space explorer you need six internals: ADS, DSS, Scoop, SRV, Shield, AFMU. This is the minimum, more is better.
  • Cockpit View. When the ships job is looking at things, being able to see them out the front window is a huge perk.

Now, very few ships win at all four of those, honestly only the Asp X and the DBX fully satisfy all four. The Anaconda hits two of them in spades but misses SC agility and view, however having the best jump range in the game is a great plus. The Orca honestly does very well too, its jump range is behind the three I just mentioned but not by too much. Next in the ranking would be the Dolphin, another passenger ship. It meets all four criteria but slacks a bit in jump range and in view somewhat, but still very good. The T6 would be next, it meets three of them nicely but it’s jump range is a bit less than the Dolphins. The Imperial Courier would fall behind the T6 here, as it meets all four points but its jump range just isn’t up to snuff compared to the previous six.

So there are the seven “exploration ships”. However, only three really meet all of the criteria in spades: the Asp X, Orca, and the DBX. All of the others miss or fall behind in one or more categories.

Now, how many combat focused ships are there?

Eagle, I. Eagle, Viper, Vulture, DBS, Asp Scout, FDS, FAS, FGS, FDL, T10, Corvette. Twelve ships dedicated to combat, and a thirteenth on the way, the Chieftain. Plus a few multiroles which do combat very, VERY well.

So why is the notion of more exploration focused and designed ships such a horrible thing again?

Something like a Python but with internals geared towards exploration. So, a larger FSD but smaller PP/PD, fewer hardpoints, lighter hull etc.
The Python already has an extremely light hull for its size. If it had a G6 FSD rather than its G5, it would have a 52 LY maximum *unengineered* range - over 10LY more than the next nearest rival. It's already a pretty good exploration ship if you're not going anywhere with extreme range requirements - it'll easily do 40LY range engineered, which is more than an unengineered Asp.

(To an extent "Python but a lighter hull, smaller PD, PP and hardpoints" is a pretty good description of the Asp anyway...)

In reality, we only really have:

The type 6, Dolphin, DBX, Asp X and Conda, as ships explorers can use effectively. The Orca has similar internal numbers to the DBX I think, for exploration, due to restricted slots, but is much more expensive, so I don't count it.

Thats technically 5 ships, so I doubt a sixth would hurt. Plus, the gap between the Asp X and Conda is huge, so why wouldn't you fill that in?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: HBK
I'm out in the black in my iClipper atm and love it. Only downside ist the mediocre jump range (36.xly engineered) compared to the aforementioned three, which is of no consequence while exploring, but a bit tedious while "getting there". So I second the need for an iExplorer.

Since there's always been discussion surrounding the viability of the Clipper as a multirole ship, I'd start by trimming the wings so it can land on medium pads, tweak the optionals a bit and bump up the FSD to class 6 and the fuel tank to 32t (or reduce the hull's weight; remind me again why the Anaconda, one of the "big three", weighs the same 400t as the Clipper?). I guess a fighter bay would be too much to ask...

The type 6, Dolphin, DBX, Asp X and Conda, as ships explorers can use effectively. The Orca has similar internal numbers to the DBX I think, for exploration, due to restricted slots, but is much more expensive, so I don't count it.

Thats technically 5 ships, so I doubt a sixth would hurt. Plus, the gap between the Asp X and Conda is huge, so why wouldn't you fill that in?

Orca has 6 unrestricted, so should be able to fit everything essential. It can get pretty good jump range numbers now as well.

However, I would still appreciate a ZPG explorer. I think the insides are the nicest.

A FdL sized explorer would totally make sense.

It's not so much the ship but what you do with it.

I get wanting new ships but at the moment it's jump honk, srv a bit etc.

Of course the updates may give us new exploration content in which case we should look at what it gives us.

Perhaps it's new explorer orientated modules that we will be wanting: laboratories etc. In which case we may need ships with more slots.

Or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom