Would like a new, different exploration ship from FD:

The Asp is about the size of the FdL.
I mean as an actual dedicated explorer. Not that multi-purpose pancake that is the AspX.

Take the FdL. Strip most weapons. Limit the PP. Give it a 32t fuel tank and a decently sized FSD with even smaller internals if necessary. Price it at 50mil. Bingo!

I mean as an actual dedicated explorer. Not that multi-purpose pancake that is the AspX.

Take the FdL. Strip most weapons. Limit the PP. Give it a 32t fuel tank and a decently sized FSD with even smaller internals if necessary. Price it at 50mil. Bingo!

Of what the Asp can do though, exploration is what it is best at. I wouldn't rate it highly for combat, and it's trading capability will only last as long until you can find something bigger (and it barely carries more than the much cheaper T6).

In terms of internals, the Asp has just a bit more than fitting the essentials: 2 scanners, a shield, a scoop (Asp's main advantage in you can get a big scoop for the size of the FSD/tank), SRV, AFM and one more.

Orca has 6 unrestricted, so should be able to fit everything essential. It can get pretty good jump range numbers now as well.

However, I would still appreciate a ZPG explorer. I think the insides are the nicest.

A DBX has 6 unrestricted slots though too. An Asp X has 7 if I'm not mistaken. Why would anyone pay more, for no good reason.

A DBX has 6 unrestricted slots though too. An Asp X has 7 if I'm not mistaken. Why would anyone pay more, for no good reason.

Someone is fed up of Lakon insides. I took the conda out for my most recent trip, but I don't appreciate the sc turn rate.

Tend to see arguments a long the lines of Well if you strip down this ship or strip down that ship, or just take scanners and a scoop on this or that ship and to me it's not about that, to me that's not an explorer ship. It's about what is true and appropriate to the setting.
An explorer ship would be properly equipped to handle any potential hazard and eventuality, it would have shields and weapons, decent armor, repair, vehicle bay, decent cargo space, collection and research limpits, excellent fuel space, on and on it goes. An exploration vessel would be crammed to the gills with gear. All while not overly sacrificing jump range.
Then you get to short range exploration and deep space exploration. A deep space exploration vessel should be a home away from home and have the relative size of a conda to suggest that, especially gods willing we ever get to wander around our ship interiors.

We need new, in-universe appropriate ships. period.

Someone is fed up of Lakon insides. I took the conda out for my most recent trip, but I don't appreciate the sc turn rate.

This is true; I do like the Asp overall but the fact that the cockpit makes me feel like I'm in a 1983 Toyota Corolla isn't really a selling point.

The only thing that makes the Anaconda a decent explorer is it's jump range.

Kind of disappointing that the top of the line exploration ship has probably the most restricted cockpit view of all ships, reacts abysmal in SC and has more hardpoints than most combat ships.

I would love to have the top of the line exploration ship replaced by something the size of a Python, with the cockpit view of a type 10, lot's of internal slots and utility slots, less hardpoints, more agility.

You know, something that actually makes sense for exploration.

Make a battle ship out of the Anconda. Increase hull weight, minimum 3 dedicated military slots.

Last edited:
Ships need to be given defined purpose- which is what's really missing from a huge majority of them currently.

There are no "defined" exploration ships. Just because the name "explorer" is tacked onto the name, it doesn't mean that's all it can be used for- nor what it was specifically built for. People frequently use Asp "Explorers" as a cargo or multirole ship because of its ability to slot cargo and/or weapons/defense as often if not more often than used for exploration in general. (usually before they can obtain a Python) Sure the AspX is a good Exploration vessel, but why does the Anaconda beat it out for longest jump range available if it's a multirole combat vessel? (if you're questioning the last part, look at the amount of weapon hardpoints, military slots, etc. available on the Anaconda, then tell me different)

FD's introduction of "passenger" ships with specific locked internals is a clear example of what should be done to achieve definition- exploration vessels need to have specific role internals defined, etc. As to passenger ships being utilized for Exploration... the biggest problem is the locked internals. Explorers or those who aren't looking for "cargo" or playing "space bus driver" have NO use for locked internal slots.

Currently we also have "military slots" for combat-role ships as well- and although some may be used as "multirole" their purpose is inherent in this.

Ship lines need to be more clearly defined so that people may pick the ship for the role they intend it to be used for- what we have now is a mishmash of ships and a few "good" ones. (Python/Anaconda)

So either they STOP locking internals- or they continue to define them for the rest of the lines so it makes more sense. If exploration ships are given specific "exploration" uses/bonuses (scan ranges, fuel scooping, etc.) then it would help definition in usage.

OFC, IMO the entire direction of ship lines as introduced needs a good looking over. Categorization would improve the way players plan their own direction in game, they'll have a better idea of what sort of ships they want/need for their own choices in professions and so forth, rather than "the bigger, the better" which seems to be the current trend.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: HBK
You're touching on a truth that's not only covering exploring ships, but basically affects every ship in the game.

'Explorers' in name don't even suffer the worst of it. They at least, after the conda, have the largest jump ranges and they are nippy in supercruise (which the conda isn't).

The transporters (Type-) ships really suffer. Passenger liners partially suffer. Because of the high speeds of medium ships, small combat ships suffer.

Technically any ship in the game can explore, just like technically every ship in the game can do combat. However, the fact that every ship has hardpoints does not mean they are “combat ships”, just like the fact that many ships can explore do not make them “exploration ships”.

So, what makes a ship a true exploration ship? What features make it stand above the others? I would argue that there are four strong criteria to classifying a ship well suited for exploration:

• Jump Range. The ship needs to be able to 1) get into deep space, and 2) reach systems at the fringes.
  • Supercruise Agility. Scanning complete systems requires a lot of maneuvering in SC, and the slower the ship the more frustrating and time consuming exploration becomes.
  • Six Internals Minimum. In order for a ship to function adequately as a long term deep space explorer you need six internals: ADS, DSS, Scoop, SRV, Shield, AFMU. This is the minimum, more is better.
  • Cockpit View. When the ships job is looking at things, being able to see them out the front window is a huge perk.

Now, very few ships win at all four of those, honestly only the Asp X and the DBX fully satisfy all four. The Anaconda hits two of them in spades but misses SC agility and view, however having the best jump range in the game is a great plus. The Orca honestly does very well too, its jump range is behind the three I just mentioned but not by too much. Next in the ranking would be the Dolphin, another passenger ship. It meets all four criteria but slacks a bit in jump range and in view somewhat, but still very good. The T6 would be next, it meets three of them nicely but it’s jump range is a bit less than the Dolphins. The Imperial Courier would fall behind the T6 here, as it meets all four points but its jump range just isn’t up to snuff compared to the previous six.

So there are the seven “exploration ships”. However, only three really meet all of the criteria in spades: the Asp X, Orca, and the DBX. All of the others miss or fall behind in one or more categories.

Now, how many combat focused ships are there?

Eagle, I. Eagle, Viper, Vulture, DBS, Asp Scout, FDS, FAS, FGS, FDL, T10, Corvette. Twelve ships dedicated to combat, and a thirteenth on the way, the Chieftain. Plus a few multiroles which do combat very, VERY well.

So why is the notion of more exploration focused and designed ships such a horrible thing again?

T-10 hits all those requirements except supercruise manouevering, and even then it's similar to an Anaconda

Ok, so we have the trusty old ASP Explorer.

It certainly will do for most any situation, if you stretch it here or there. But its overly rustic and that B-29 sound can get a bit old after some time.

Then we have the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" Anaconda, where you don't have to leave anything behind, but you pay for that with a distinct lack of agility - which is really only a problem-problem when jumping to certain types of stars.

Next, we got the Diamondback Explorer... It arguably can be both a smaller and a better package than the ASP for some some jobs. Having the best jump range of all certainly makes it great to get around the bubble, with enough slots to still do stuff. But hell, its even more rustic than the ASP and the sound it makes is just annoying. Looks are a matter of taste, suffice it to say I'd prefer something from Gutamaya.

Personally, my favorite would be an Exploration Version of the FDL - loosing in weapons, shields and armor what it gains in tank size, FSD range and an assortment of optional slots somewhat better than an ASP, to give you enough flexibility to bring SRV garage, AFM, some cargo, engineering-grind capable etc.

Thus, we could have a more stylish exploration ship in between ASP and Anaconda, only requiring a fairly minimal amount of work for FD.

A keelback with more jump is my dream

Holy moly, we just got the T 10, another ship is coming soon and there are plenty of ships who are more than good for exploring...i think it is not on the very top of the list.

I'm not really unhappy with the Asp and DBX as explorer ships. But I do think something high end that's more dedicaded to exploration would be apropos.

Bottom line, the Anaconda should not be the best exploration ship in the game.

A multirole ship should not be the hands down best exploration ship in space, in a game where the most interesting and eye grabbing feature is how much of it there is to be explored.

More to the point, the top 2 explotration ships in the game should not both be generalists.

A large (larger than the AspX) dedicated exploration first craft, optimized for thrusters, maneuverability and FSD, is entirely called for. I would love it if it was a cousin to the FDL, I'm a fan of Zorgon-Peterson and I love the lines on the FDL. It would instantly become one of the more popular ships to fly since a lot of people play ED exactly because of exploration.

Again, the AspX is an excellent explorer, and probably the closest thing we have to a large, decicated exploration ship. But it is not a dedicated exploration ship. The only truly dedicated exploration ship is the DBX, and I'm personally convinced it needs a couple of big brothers.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
After spending 5 months in possibly the worst ship fer exploration...an unengineered T9...it really doesnt take much to beat it. So literally any ship can be used fer exploration which is just wrong imo. First of all, unless yer just super paranoid, how many explorers have anything in the hardpoints? A dedicated exploration ship should be unarmed...doesnt even need hardpoints at all when ye think about it. Im here two years and still harmless...so what practical use have guns been fer me?

Of course, if ye sacrifice hardpoints, then other stats should be hugely boosted to compensate. Biggest jumprange in the game springs to mind...its gonna have to have a big advantage over the other multis or theres little point. If its bases stats are lower than the multis, then the meta wont change and it becomes nothing more special than a novelty item.

Speaking of which, I use ships outside the normal asp/DBE/conda stable because Ive already flown them fer multiple months in the black...I use the DBE as a taxi service because it has the range and the versatility and looks better than the asp. Cheaper to transfer too but it wins on looks which I value more than its cost. The conda...just no. In sc its only marginally better than the T9, and the cockpit is just woeful...the restricted view was what made my mind up to just sell it and I wouldnt even look at a conda now. Looks wise, Im constantly reminded of a star wars star destroyer...doesnt float my boat at all.

Next on the bucket list is the T10 and maybe one the empire ships after I unlock it. If we ever get a specialized explorer, then that changes things considerably, but in the meantime, the meta in ship choice remains as stagnant as it always was ^

Last edited:
Ok, so we have the trusty old ASP Explorer.

It certainly will do for most any situation, if you stretch it here or there. But its overly rustic and that B-29 sound can get a bit old after some time.

Then we have the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" Anaconda, where you don't have to leave anything behind, but you pay for that with a distinct lack of agility - which is really only a problem-problem when jumping to certain types of stars.

Next, we got the Diamondback Explorer... It arguably can be both a smaller and a better package than the ASP for some some jobs. Having the best jump range of all certainly makes it great to get around the bubble, with enough slots to still do stuff. But hell, its even more rustic than the ASP and the sound it makes is just annoying. Looks are a matter of taste, suffice it to say I'd prefer something from Gutamaya.

Personally, my favorite would be an Exploration Version of the FDL - loosing in weapons, shields and armor what it gains in tank size, FSD range and an assortment of optional slots somewhat better than an ASP, to give you enough flexibility to bring SRV garage, AFM, some cargo, engineering-grind capable etc.

Thus, we could have a more stylish exploration ship in between ASP and Anaconda, only requiring a fairly minimal amount of work for FD.

I agree OP, i'll go even further, as much flak as No Man's Sky got, it did one thing VERY, VERY WELL, ship classes.

A trader looked like a trader, a fighter and explorer LOOKED the part you know? As well and more importantly, they performed their dedicated roles with aplomb! I wish we had dedicated explorers in this game and not just in name only. I mean Explorer ships that come preconfigured with scanners, amfu's, fuel scoops etc.

I love my Asp X but I am looking for a new expereince, a big ship experince, I have tried the Anaconda but I didn't like it. I am currently trying the T10 and have found I like the sounds, the cockpit view and actually enjoy the slow gracefull way she moves. She handles like how I imgaine a galatic crusier class spaceship should feel.

This Bit.. What we need is a Ship Launched Exploration Shuttle. A small craft, wthout supercruise that is desgined for landing in all sorts of gravity, heck, even for atmospheric landings including on water. The larger ship would use probes and other mechanics to seek out suitable bodies for investigation, park in orbit and then drop the shuttle.

Please.

Last edited:
Here's a thing that I think people are glancing over a bit. An exploration ship is mostly a pure science ship. I would love to see something dedicated to that side of things.

Ideally:
-It would be a medium-large ship.
-Max of two hardpoints. Because we really don't need them.
-Enough utility slots to fit every single type of scanner we need plus heatsinks, etc.
-Range equal to or better than the best exploration fit ships.
-Enough optional slots for basic shield, srv, scanners, research limpets, fuel scoop, at least one or two cargo slots for corrosive racks, etc. So maybe 8?
-Maybe a fighter bay for a easier beige patrol. Would love a reconnaissance drone of some sort for it.
-Some of those antennae and radar things that are on outside of the T-10.
-And a giant clear bubble of a cockpit window with minimal framing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. But those are what I'd like to see the most. Style-wise.. something new please?

Top Bottom