Would like a new, different exploration ship from FD:

I agree, at one time when most people flew Cobra's and Eagles the AspX fit the bill, you could fly it around and fight people and only rarely were you outclassed. Then everyone got rich and bought Pythons and Anacondas. Now it's not really a viable combat ship anymore. It would be cool to basically have a heavy fighter type of ship that could have a decent jump range and do exploration with a full loadout and that you could go into battle if you wanted to, and still get 45+ jump range. I mean, you can fly your Anaconda to Beagle Point and have plenty of weaponry but I'm not talking about flying a battlecruiser, I'm talking about flying something a bit smaller, like a medium pad ship.

Hoping the Krait will be like this.

Yep, but I wouldn't call any of them dedicated explorer ships though. I would think that any dedicated explorer ships would always have two size 1 slots for the scanners.
Or better still, they should include the scanners in the base ship. I'd love to have 2 freed-up size 2 module slots in my AspX. The thing is, FD keeps adding new modules, which makes using many of the current ships a matter of "what can I live without"?

They added hull repair limpets for example, but I'll never be able to use them for exploration in my AspX (or any other ship that isn't an Anaconda). What's the point of adding modules that few players will ever be able to use?

The Dolphin is probably the closest fit to what an Explorer needs.

But I would love a real, dedicated Exploration ship - something along the lines of:

Core Internals:

8 Hull
4 Powerplant
5 Thrusters
7 Frame Shift Drive
4 Life Support
3 Power Distributor
3 Sensors
6 Fuel Tank

Optional Internal:

Hardpoints:
M
S
S

Utility:
U
U
U

A deep-space capable, long-range, long term, self-reliant, lightly armed, versatile, mid-sized ship. And note: 2 Class 1 slots, perfect for those Sensors that make Exploration work.

The Dolphin is probably the closest fit to what an Explorer needs.

But I would love a real, dedicated Exploration ship - something along the lines of:

Core Internals:

8 Hull
4 Powerplant
5 Thrusters
7 Frame Shift Drive
4 Life Support
3 Power Distributor
3 Sensors
6 Fuel Tank

Optional Internal:

Hardpoints:
M
S
S

Utility:
U
U
U

A deep-space capable, long-range, long term, self-reliant, lightly armed, versatile, mid-sized ship. And note: 2 Class 1 slots, perfect for those Sensors that make Exploration work.

I'm not using a class 5 fuel scoop with a class 7 FSD.
I'll accept one step down but not two. For preference it would be one step UP..

Replace the two class 5 and the class 3 optionals with a single class 7 and you've got a much better ship.

I don't see why you want a medium hardpoint on an exploration ship.

Looks like a reasonable miner configuration though.

Last edited:
Currently thinking of starting my pilgrimage to Colonia then on to Saggy A so this thread quite thought provoking as to the best ship.

I like my AspX but it really needs two more internal (optional) compartments so I can tuck in the repair module and an extra gas tank without sacrificing my refinery and SRV bay. I'm going to want to stop along the way and do some prospecting maybe find the odd resource for Engineering, too.

So really all we need is an Asp Explorer + with maybe also a panoramic cockpit and nicer engine sound!

Or better still, they should include the scanners in the base ship. I'd love to have 2 freed-up size 2 module slots in my AspX. The thing is, FD keeps adding new modules, which makes using many of the current ships a matter of "what can I live without"?

They added hull repair limpets for example, but I'll never be able to use them for exploration in my AspX (or any other ship that isn't an Anaconda). What's the point of adding modules that few players will ever be able to use?

That's mostly why many and I bother exploring in an anaconda I think, beyond the range. The feeling of traveling in your starfaring base. If I'm heading for a few months trip, it's getting harder and harder to go without the new survival / self-reliant tools.
I also like the romantic idea of helping a stranded commander in some area I would happen to be close to, so fuel transfer limpets for me ; the idea to fall on one unique planet with unique things to recover, related to the story - so I also want cargo. SRVs. I know there may be none of these things out there. But the idea keeps me motivated and I won't break it.

Lots of internal slots (they may be of smaller size except for one fuel scoop), good view, good range (fuel and jump wise), agile, fragile, few hardpoints.
Or just give dedicated scanner slots to the already dedicated ships (by the names, the scout and the explorer series) and I could really go with any of them.

I'm not using a class 5 fuel scoop with a class 7 FSD.
I'll accept one step down but not two. For preference it would be one step UP..

Replace the two class 5 and the class 3 optionals with a single class 7 and you've got a much better ship.

I don't see why you want a medium hardpoint on an exploration ship.

Looks like a reasonable miner configuration though.

My current "Explorer": https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/dol...//8ZADIysZEdAAAA.EweloBhBGA2EoFMCGBzANokMK6A=

My rationale:

Needs a lot of power to run all that gear.

Shields - because sometimes landing are bumpy, and (see below)

Mining Lance - Because sometimes you need some materials - and there may be no landable planets in the system you're in at the time. But an asteroid belt, or ringed world might just have what you need.

Point Defense - (from above) - Because NPC's are d's, and are always waiting for you when you return the bubble, to give you that volley of fire that ensures your data does not get sold.

AFMU - Because sometimes things break, or because you've gone neutron hopping.

Heat Sink - because stars are hot, and when you've just made 100 jumps you may be going cross-eyed and not pull back in time.

Vehicle Hanger - because landable planets have stuff to find.

Passenger Cabin - because there are people who will pay well to go on very long trips out into the middle of nowhere - might as well make some extra credits. Can be left at "home" if no suitable passengers are available when starting the trip or subbed for a Cargo Rack to pick up those stray data caches.

Dolphin can muster a very respectable jump range - is fun to fly, handles well, is easy to land, looks good and has space for all the necessities and a couple amenities. It's still kind of meh having to waste Class 2 slots for Class 1 modules though.

---

Size of the FSD matters a lot less when picking a Fuel scoop than the size of the Fuel Tank, and how impatient you might be.
I've done both of my longest ventures, ~5100 Ly and ~6400 Ly (I know, real explorers do those ranges in their sleep while flying in reverse to Beagle Point), in a Beluga. 128 Ton Fuel Tank, Class 4 scoop.

I don't have to stop very often to refuel, and when I do... I just park there, and "bask". I get up, walk around, stretch my legs, use the head, get a drink or a snack, have a smoke, whatever I need to do. It takes all of a few minutes to refuel, and I'm underway again. The galaxy has been here for 13.6 billion years. It's going to be here for another 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've been campaigning for an Imperial Explorer for years now. A medium sized competitor to the Python, with much worse firepower, slightly less cargo room, but a jump range that rivals the Anaconda plus a cockpit view to give Lakon some competition too.

I support this notion, not that big of an explorer but am a fan of more Gutamaya, we need more pods, everything is better with pods .___.

I agree OP. One that's suitable for medium-sized pads, with a stock FSD 20-30% better and an extra internal slot. I also think that both the ADS and DSS should be utility mounted, not internal.

The argument that having a greater jump range isn't important is mistaken tbh. Ok, most people will try to get from A to B as quickly as possible, but on the edges of the galaxy there are jumps in excess of 100LY between stars, making FSD synthesis useful and exploration risky. :)

Currently thinking of starting my pilgrimage to Colonia then on to Saggy A so this thread quite thought provoking as to the best ship.

I like my AspX but it really needs two more internal (optional) compartments so I can tuck in the repair module and an extra gas tank without sacrificing my refinery and SRV bay. I'm going to want to stop along the way and do some prospecting maybe find the odd resource for Engineering, too.

So really all we need is an Asp Explorer + with maybe also a panoramic cockpit and nicer engine sound!

You don't need an extra tank going to Sag A, there is no problem with star density out there.

You don't need an extra tank going to Sag A, there is no problem with star density out there.

Appreciate the info, thanks +rep. However getting onto the Colonia corridor from Vequess I've had a couple of anxious moments where the route calculator has put me through a succession of brown dwarves. If I hadn't intervened and deviated out to a sccopable star I might have been in trouble. An extra tank therefore definitely worthwhile in these circumstances.

Appreciate the info, thanks +rep. However getting onto the Colonia corridor from Vequess I've had a couple of anxious moments where the route calculator has put me through a succession of brown dwarves. If I hadn't intervened and deviated out to a sccopable star I might have been in trouble. An extra tank therefore definitely worthwhile in these circumstances.

Or just use the filter.

You don't need a refinery to collect materials, and you don't really want to do any mining with nowhere to sell what you refine. Replace the refinery with an AFMU and you'll be fine.

I've done lots of exploring in the AspX. It is an excellent ship for this. :)

If we were to get a new exploration ship, I'd rather see a completely new design instead of a rehashed version of an existing ship.

If we were to get a new exploration ship, I'd rather see a completely new design instead of a rehashed version of an existing ship.
I do not disagree with you.

But since FD has made quite a few variants of existing ships, it is apparent, that they appreciate the time savings of merely modifying an existing ship, to make different functionality available in the game.

Hence my request for merely a variant:
- its less work, increasing the chance they might consider it
- FDev already has their own ideas and schedule for release of completely new ships
- especially this year is probably fairly tapped out with work on the carrier, amounting to breaking new ground in functionality - not just another standard tech setup with different slots and a hull that has little or no impact on functionality.

Top Bottom