Horizons Would you like to build your own base in Elite Dangerous?

Having your own personal little base would be quite nice.
Emphasis on "personal" and "little" deliberate - large group-owned bases would be a bad idea.

If you're not bothering to explain yourself, then why respond at all? Just to be able to stomp your feet and say "nu-uh!"?

Because they are well known games and easily searched for. Let's start with Eve, the X series, and the Evochron series, where you can build an Empire for yourself, let alone a base. You can look for the rest yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Elite Dangerous is about being a lone pilot finding your way in a massive galaxy. The day they allow player bases is the day I stop playing.

Yes, a lone pilot and having absolutely no persistent impact on your surroundings whatsoever!

Building little personal bases where you could store things would be a really great bit of personalization for the game. (storing ammo, fuel, parts, ships, commodities, etc) It would require a process of bringing in the materials for construction and stocking, continued stocking to keep the base operating (defered maintenance resulting in breakdowns and higher bills), and an income stream to fund it. Security (or remaining hidden) would be a major issue in this game. I imagine that any base which is not hidden would need extremely expensive security.

These could scale up directly to building player group bases, with the player group admin "running" the base and tracking group members' contributions and funding.

Last edited:
Building little personal bases where you could store things would be a really great bit of personalization for the game. (storing ammo, fuel, parts, ships, commodities, etc) It would require a process of bringing in the materials for construction and stocking, continued stocking to keep the base operating (defered maintenance resulting in breakdowns and higher bills), and an income stream to fund it. Security (or remaining hidden) would be a major issue in this game. I imagine that any base which is not hidden would need extremely expensive security.

These could scale up directly to building player group bases, with the player group admin "running" the base and tracking group members' contributions and funding.
Extremely expensive, indeed! :)
So a base that can't be seen unless someone is following you or accidentally stumble upon it, is a must.
At least until you have Credits enough to have that security. :)

I'd be up for a small deployable storage unit which can be used to stockpile a few dozen tones of whatever, then persist until cleared out by your hauler ship. But due to networking limitations, it shouldn't create a node for other players to find, unless you lead them there.

Beyond that I'd stick with players owning territory through minor factions. That way it is already tied into the BGS, and the procedural universe, can be available for both solo and open players, and introduces no issues with defending, other than through the BGS.

in creative locations is where id love to build my base, or my minor faction beginning to expand to nearby systems. based on background sim states

I'm not even sure what I'd do with a base.

Ok, i've built it, i can store ships there.... and?

My gameplay takes me all around the bubble and outside it.

Suppose if i had a group of friends could use it as a meeting place.... but.... can use any regular station for that.

I think some people want to have stations so they can play some sort of economic mini-game with it. I think FD would be foolish to allow that. They aren't too good at dealing with balance and stuff, and you can pretty much guarantee if something like that was possible, within a month there would be player groups with system spanning empires with billions of credits to all members, and recruiting new players left right and center with the offers of free Anacondas to all that join.

I think that would be terrible for the game.

I'm not even sure what I'd do with a base.

Ok, i've built it, i can store ships there.... and?

My gameplay takes me all around the bubble and outside it.

Suppose if i had a group of friends could use it as a meeting place.... but.... can use any regular station for that.

I think some people want to have stations so they can play some sort of economic mini-game with it. I think FD would be foolish to allow that. They aren't too good at dealing with balance and stuff, and you can pretty much guarantee if something like that was possible, within a month there would be player groups with system spanning empires with billions of credits to all members, and recruiting new players left right and center with the offers of free Anacondas to all that join.

I think that would be terrible for the game.

I'm glad you're not designing the game.
First of all, what do you do on stations today? Why can't you that on a player built station?
I can see myself hanging out on those stations when we get the Walking-around thing.

First of all, what do you do on stations today? Why can't you that on a player built station?
I can see myself hanging out on those stations when we get the Walking-around thing.

OK, put on your designers hat then and tell us:-
- What will be enjoyable about "hanging out on those stations"?
- What will be enjoyable about "walking-around things"?

I believe as Agony_Aunt is trying to point out, if you can create bases, and even walk around them, what gameplay features and mechanics will this introduce that will actually make the game more fun or deeper? Because I'd suggest "hanging out" and "walking-around" might not be that enjoyable after a while... TBH, I'm somewhat relieved you're not designing the game.

Last edited:
OK, put on your designers hat then and tell us:-
- What will be enjoyable about "hanging out on those stations"?
- What will be enjoyable about "walking-around things"?

I believe as Agony_Aunt is trying to point out, if you can create bases, and even walk around them, what gameplay features and mechanics will this introduce that will actually make the game more fun or deeper? Because I'd suggest "hanging out" and "walking-around" might not be that enjoyable after a while... TBH, I'm somewhat relieved you're not designing the game.

ED needs more stuff to do. ED needs to build more around the social aspects imo. Player built stations seems perfect for that. Also, see your fellow commanders faces could never be a bad thing right?
Things like Distant World expedition or similar could go there to repair, restock, refuel etc. They could also "hang out" on the station when waiting for the other commanders etc.
Simple missions could also be present, like fetching fuel from the nearest star.

TBH, I'm somewhat relieved you're not designing the game.

Ok, let's stop that please.

To answer insomnia - Let me clarify. By itself i don't see much use. I can see some mechanics that might work well for some players who prefer to remain static in and around specific systems, but those are mechanics that do not require player owned stations (they do require more group features and functions... dare i say it, guild/clan like features? :O), and things like player generated missions (based off templates, with rewards commensurate with risk fixed by the game - no giving people millions for delivering 1t on biowaste).

So it kind of brings things back to the question of if those features do not require player built stations, can exist without, then we are back at why does anyone need a personal station? Well, apart from to say "this is mine" and sit in it...looking at the walls.

By the way, i'm not saying i'm against the idea per se, just i'd like to see some reason for devs to put efforts into them, and i think before they can be a thing, other supporting mechanics would be needed first to make having them worthwhile.

ED needs more stuff to do. ED needs to build more around the social aspects imo. Player built stations seems perfect for that. Also, see your fellow commanders faces could never be a bad thing right?
Things like Distant World expedition or similar could go there to repair, restock, refuel etc. They could also "hang out" on the station when waiting for the other commanders etc.
Simple missions could also be present, like fetching fuel from the nearest star.

All of which are possible with existing stations. Not sure getting your point here. Although with DW... building a station thousands of LY out? How many resources would we need to drag out there? :O

However, yes, ED needs more things to do. Common meme that one, one we can all agree on, good that FD haven't stopped development of the game. If you want to get into a discussion about which features are more important for FD to implement first... well, that's a thorny one, because everyone has different priorities. You say player owned stations, you will find a hundred people who want other things first, not to mention FD who already have their plans for the coming year laid down and probably don't have a lot of scope for adding something like this during this season.

Last edited:
guild/clan like features
Exactly. Like I said, ED need to support the social aspects better in the game.

why does anyone need a personal station
Some people are billionaires. What could they possibly spend money on to keep playing the game?
Besides, isn't this what "Blazing your own trail" means? To really blazing my own trail?

i'm not saying i'm against the idea per se
You said it was a terrible idea. I'd say every game out there needs improvements, especially Elite Dangerous if we're to sit here for an additional 7 years. And maybe, with a deep space station or outpost, some people might finally see a purpose to travel long distances. Who knows!

OK, so you land in a base, press a button to enter first person mode, and walking around said station. You see other CMDRs walking around too, and enjoy looking at their faces... What now? What makes me actively do this time after time?

They could also "hang out" on the station when waiting for the other commanders etc.
So you're actually proposing sitting there doing nothing is a game feature we'd enjoy?

Please don't take my comments as sarcasm... But it all too often seems people suggest first person and walking around ships and stations as some panacea of gameplay that will offer some incredibly interesting and involved experience... and all the time they don't mention a single thing that actually will make it an interesting and involved experience.

And worse still, they'll suggest these huge development tasks while the rest of the existing game is paper thin. Why not devote this development time to better experience/mechanics in the main game?!

Some people are billionaires. What could they possibly spend money on to keep playing the game?
Besides, isn't this what "Blazing your own trail" means? To really blazing my own trail?
If player run stations would add some depth/interest into the game, while not creating a minefield instead, great! I'd need to see how the mechanics for it would work first though... Simply suggeting walking around it, and hanging out there, doesn't do it for me...

I suspect player faction "owned" stations would be a more logical move, where their efforts are required to keep its ownership, and they are maybe rewarded with bonuses (eg: credit notes for bounties/trading there).

A particularly valuable station (eg: offering good resourses etc) might therefore come under the interests of competing player factions, hence then "conflict" begins to get control of it...

Last edited:
Exactly. Like I said, ED need to support the social aspects better in the game.

You said it was a terrible idea. I'd say every game out there needs improvements, especially Elite Dangerous if we're to sit here for an additional 7 years. And maybe, with a deep space station or outpost, some people might finally see a purpose to travel long distances. Who knows!

I said per se, as in not totally, there just needs to be a reason for it. Some mechanic that makes it worthwhile.

As for blazing your own trail.... erm... sitting in a station doesn't sould very much like blazing. Possibly warming your posterior :p

As we have gotten Planetary Landings would you like to build your own base anywhere you want. This could be an excellent credit sink and also include crafting and loot. Some base modules you buy and some you craft. If you have played ARK you know what I mean. If I had a base somewhere in the Elite Dangerous universe I would use more time on it, and many others would to.

What do you think?

Yes I would. It would be great to use that as a credit sink and to construct a personal base.
FD could also use that to sell vanity items, different styles for interiors etc. I would spend money on that for sure.

FD could use a modular connectable system. The game Planetbase uses that for example.
In ED Player bases could be under the surface of a planet like in Gaia.
This might reduce the load for the game.
The game might just switch to the underground environment as a separate instance when you enter the airlock.
Also it might circumvent the problem in PvP of having to implement completely destructible bases. :)

There could be all kinds of modules you have to transport to your base.
Airlock
Oxygen generator
Power generators
Infirmary
Living quarters
Hangar
Defensive systems
Armoury
Repair facilities

etc. etc

Last edited:
OK, so you land in a base, press a button to enter first person mode, and walking around said station. You see other CMDRs walking around too, and enjoy looking at their faces... What now? What makes me actively do this time after time?
You just described Horizons for me. ;) Land on a planet... Now what?

So you're actually proposing sitting there doing nothing is a game feature we'd enjoy?
Some players are reporting they are doing this today unfortunately... Waiting in the lobby for CQC, Powerplay, etc. No, it's not fun. I hate waiting. But imagine if we had stores to go to at these stations. I'm sure we could kill a few hours going there to look at some fancy weapons, module catalogues for our ships, meeting engineers etc...

they'll suggest these huge development tasks while the rest of the existing game is paper thin. Why not devote this development time to better experience/mechanics in the main game?!
This is a feature I'd like to see in the future, perhaps season 5 or even later, whey've fleshed out the gameplay so to speak... As of now, yeah the gameplay is extremely thin. No need for the devs to drop everything to start developing this.

Simply suggeting walking around it, and hanging out there, doesn't do it for me...
Me neither. That's why I'm still a bit disappointed about Horizons as, at least for me, that's what driving the SRV feels like. Zero purpose.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

As for blazing your own trail.... erm... sitting in a station doesn't sould very much like blazing. Possibly warming your posterior :p

Well, sitting in an SRV, doing nothing except driving around, doesn't feel like blazing anything either. ;)

As we have gotten Planetary Landings would you like to build your own base anywhere you want. This could be an excellent credit sink and also include crafting and loot. Some base modules you buy and some you craft. If you have played ARK you know what I mean. If I had a base somewhere in the Elite Dangerous universe I would use more time on it, and many others would to.

What do you think?

It needs to be well thought out to avoid many of the pitfalls mentioned in other posts, but I think YES, on a limited scale. It would be great to set up small "wings" or "Companies" who can store goods/Ore/ships in warehouses and small bases. (Also a pirate base in an Anarchic system for those that way inclined.) It would add some depth, which so many of us keep mentioning in these forums!

Top Bottom