The interesting part is how in my experience and at least one of these videos it seemed to fade in and out halfway through the jump, in the same manner as the game draws the layers of the hyperspace jump animation. It would be interesting if we could dissect the actual rendering system used to draw that animation and the layers it's normally supposed to composite it from.

Whoever is going to run with this hypothesis needs to gather details of all the various hardware configurations used, including the graphics card, RAM, game version, start location of jump, end location of jump, network load etc etc. Since the hyperspace transition sequence duration is dependent on network traffic (yes, like most players I’ve experienced endless jumps and had to end the game to stop it, but not for a long time now) might it be related to that? - a prolonged jump sequence due to poor network connection pulling up an image that should have been deleted &/or possibly partially amended/overlaid with a texture map that just makes it look similar to other examples? I’m just freewheeling here, as I said I’m no graphics expert.

Just being pedantic...I cant say in 7 years of play that I’ve ever experienced this effect!

The point is to simply find evidence for it, not endlessly guess :)

As I suggested yesterday, if we can simply find one example of a similar video showing any planet that's visibly different, we can easily put a pin in this immediately and move on.*

Therefore;

a) If it's an asset of the planet the CMDR just left being loaded in incorrectly in front of them, then there will be examples of other planet types (icy, cratered, crazy mountains, non spherical, etc.), we'll be able to find videos of planets that are clearly different.

b) If it's some kind of asset bug where a planet from the system is somehow loaded into the witchspace tunnel then we'll be able to find examples of any other planet type, like a gas giant, for example (which are very common).

I'd like to gently and kindly and respectfully request no more armchair tech support on this, please. It's not getting us anywhere.

What I would dearly love, please, is for all of you to googlefu some more videos up of this "bug" so we have more examples to look at :) So far we have 3/4 video examples of a similar-looking mostly featureless rocky-type world, and zero examples of anything else...

* It's worth remembering that some reports of a planet in Witchspace are from before Horizons. Although we don't have a video of that, this would suggest that - if it's a bug - the mechanism for seeing a planet in witchspace may not be related to simply landable planets. This means that it's much more likely to see other planet types than just a rocky maybe brown planet.

Although I am vey open to ‘any’ possibility the idea of a planet in witch space I find less plausible generally, for a number of simple reasons.

1: the witch space tunnel is primarily a loading screen, a transition where the game loads a new instance not a physical movement but the process of waiting for data to be accessed and then download.

This is dependent upon internet access, location and RAM, this opens up too many variables for bugs or glitches; and although an enjoyable bug, I accept it as the most logical explanation, although still nicely spooked out by it.

FD do employ a secondary loading screen for Thargoid interactions, so there does exist the possibility it could be utilised for a Raxxla loading screen?

2: The concept if true, generally looks awful. Although technically not impossible, I find the concept lacking due to its poor execution; if actual then it would not / should not get confused as a bug and much like the Thargoid interdiction mechanism, it should be far shinier.

3: Over time FD have endeavoured to evolve this graphical transition, so that it marries with the very first trailer, which showed stars moving relatively. Via what seemed a ‘traditional’ warp bubble method.

In my opinion this would identify that ‘hyperspace’ in lore is not tied down canon and that FD want to move away from the older ‘witch space’ concept eg us doing the old ‘Event Horizon’ method and literally travelling to and through another reality / but rather moving at a higher dimension relatively eg bending space time to create a gravitational warp field.

The concept only supports a planet if it were in ‘Witchspace’ as another reality; if it involves us travelling there entirely; which although alluring and technically possible I find implausible due to the general lack of promotion of this mechanic in game, as developers want us to see and utilise their work it begs the question why not?

If hyperspace is fluffy and supposed to be a relative gravitational warp bubble then to have a planet floating in it is illogical, as it would likewise be travelling at higher relativistic speed; not so if it were in another reality - which if my memory serves, is what wichspsce is.

Again the best way to test is repetition and analysis of RAM usage.

Source: https://youtu.be/q5JJGX-Wppk

I have done countless honks and only recently noticed this planet screen flash / phenomenon / glitch / cosmic rays messing with the memory circuits / bug / thing. It has to have been one of the coolest things I have experienced in Elite for a while. It happened when leaving orbital cruise of a planet, locking on to the next port of call, yeeting out of the system - HO(image of Raxxla?)NK!

It took a minute or 2 later for me to recall what I thought I had seen and it was actually a pretty deep experience in that moment, something that usually requires a more potent meduim than a computer space game to bring about! Very cool!

Carry on CMDRs !

From my previous summary
All we know about Raxxla (everything else is supposition!):

(MB) “It’s in the Milky Way” and “you have to make some of it a tiny little bit obvious so people know what they’re doing”
Q: founder's world name?...Shinrarta Dezhra... I'm a tiny little bit disappointed they didn't call it Raxxla - A: (MB) “Raxxla is something different”
(MB) “FD did look at a story involving Raxxla, but felt that was a story that should be played out in game rather than as a novel”
(MB) “It’s something in the game world (not text) and very hard to find”
(MB) “It’s not a random thing”
(MB) “Anyone can find it, and more than once”
(Allen Stroud) “it is a topic within the Alien lore book” that we have no insight into
(DB) “You don’t know what it is”

This IMHO does not fit with a planet randomly appearing during the hyperspace transition. For one thing hyperspace is supposed be another dimension or 3 (4?), so not sure it could be counted as being in the Milky Way. Does seem to be random, which is contradicted by the fifth line. And we have no way to get out of the hyperspace transition sequence so not sure we could be said to find it, it’s just being viewed not found. I think “found” semantically implies it has to be physically present, and this doesn't cut it for me.

So I still think it’s a graphics bug. And if this really is Raxxla I’m rage quitting!

This IMHO does not fit with a planet randomly appearing during the hyperspace transition. For one thing hyperspace is supposed be another dimension or 3 (4?), so not sure it could be counted as being in the Milky Way. Does seem to be random, which is contradicted by the fifth line. And we have no way to get out of the hyperspace transition sequence so not sure we could be said to find it, it’s just being viewed not found. I think “found” semantically implies it has to be physically present, and this doesn't cut it for me.

So I still think it’s a graphics bug. And if this really is Raxxla I’m rage quitting!
It can be a bug, it can be a feature of something.

(PS Jorki, I'm not addressing you in particular even if I included your reply - rather all of us in general) :)
We're here to share an experience. We all have different 'beliefs' on how to progress.
If someone wishes to explore this little adventure in a way that is different from many of us, let's not deny them that privilege.
I see no point in trying to 'convince others that they are wrong, that my belief is better'

We should be including people, not excluding folks.
All of our personal theories are equally crazy, except in the eye of the beholder, me, you, ourselves. :)

NOTE: Yet again, not addressing your Post in particular Jorki, I love all your truly crazy stuff that I mostly disagree with - I have my own ideas hehe

S07vjyl.jpg

(PS Jorki, I'm not addressing you in particular even if I included your reply - rather all of us in general) :)
We're here to share an experience. We all have different 'beliefs' on how to progress.
If someone wishes to explore this little adventure in a way that is different from many of us, let's not deny them that privilege.
I see no point in trying to 'convince others that they are wrong, that my belief is better'

All of our personal theories are equally crazy, except in the eye of the beholder, me, you, ourselves. :)

NOTE: Yet again, not addressing your Post in particular Jorki, I love all your truly crazy stuff that I mostly disagree with - I have my own ideas hehe
Really well said John, I will take that sage advice on-board ❤️

Oh I wholeheartedly agree! Providing people treat each other with respect then they have always been welcome here, and we've had some lively, enjoyable and interesting debates. This is spiritually the successor to the old Canonn threads and its pursuit of in-game truth (we do often digress from pursuit of the One True Religion Mystery!), before it became a bit too intense and exclusive. Conversely disrespect earns my ignore list.
Though as a retired scientist I do often feel the need to gently and politely point out when hypotheses and logic are not soundly based! A fundamentally flawed hypothesis is like the screeching of fingernails on a blackboard! :eek:

I sometimes try to play Devil's Advocate, though I woul not wish to dissuade anyone from pursuing their own interpretation of things. IMHO we are probably all wrong!

So, just tried to get back in game to do some more endless jumping (Tyko down to 93 before the next destination). So what's happening- update 14 bug fixing? Dead moth frozen to the server wiring harness? (that's an in-joke).

So, just tried to get back in game to do some more endless jumping (Tyko down to 93 before the next destination). So what's happening- update 14 bug fixing? Dead moth frozen to the server wiring harness? (that's an in-joke).
COMMANDERS
Few minutes over the due for release time - please stand by o7
yup.
PS it's a client-update, so you have to quit & update (in case anyone is sitting ingame waiting in suspense ... ).

yup.
PS it's a client-update, so you have to quit & update (in case anyone is sitting ingame waiting in suspense ... ).
P.S. I wasnt digging at you re Canonn! I just preferred the modus operandi sharing information etc via the forum threads before they moved off to their own site - that seemed more efficient but less inclusive and enjoyable to me.
Technically I'm probably still a member...never resigned nor had a message that I've been disavowed! :)

P.S. I wasnt digging at you re Canonn! I just preferred the modus operandi sharing information etc via the forum threads before they moved off to their own site - that seemed more efficient but less inclusive and enjoyable to me.
Technically I'm probably still a member...never resigned nor had a message that I've been disavowed! :)
Likewise - I do things in the open. I don't use any of the 'hidden channels' of any discords. No offense taken, I love your writeups. I wish I had the same skills :)
Cannon, AXI, whoever we are - in this thread we share the same passion.

Bah, just tried to comment in the update thread re the server status message; it's now locked so thought the game must be back up...
NOPE!
I really wish FD would learn to change the server status to OFFLINE during updates. I've complained about this many times, and @sallymorganmoore said after the last major update she'd investigate. It cant be a big job to change a message text.
FD have just wasted another hour of my life...
@sallymorganmoore , at 70 I haven't got all that many left!!!! 👨‍🦳

Bah, just tried to comment in the update thread re the server status message; it's now locked so thought the game must be back up...
NOPE!
I really wish FD would learn to change the server status to OFFLINE during updates. I've complained about this many times, and @sallymorganmoore said after the last major update she'd investigate. It cant be a big job to change a message text.
FD have just wasted another hour of my life...
@sallymorganmoore , at 70 I haven't got all that many left!!!! 👨‍🦳
hehe - you're not alone.

Top Bottom