UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Time to say some more things:

If you're looking for barnacles, I highly recommend turning off ship sounds - otherwise, how will you hear them?

If you're looking for barnacles, I highly recommend turning off ship sounds - otherwise, how will you hear them?

a few things I have noticed about sound effects:
- turn music off
- the "optimized for" "nigh time" option brings out the quiet sounds better
- in SRV-turret mode the wave-scanner is not heared, so it's better to listen to the outer world sounds (like a beacon etc.)

Turning off ship sounds? You mean the music and/or the voice. You can't turn off ship sounds that I'm aware of.

Also I had a thought while I was searching a suspicious looking area.. what if the definition of barnacles doesn't necessarily imply actual barnacles rather a general location? Take a look at this shot... don't the little hills that dot this type of landscape sort of look like giant barnacles? I'm thinking more along the lines of an explorer who is doing some high level surveying of a planetary landscape. From high up that sort of geological formation would resemble barnacles...

Just a thought

Screenshot_0890.png

How is it cheating? There is no sound in space, your ship reproduces sounds to help you orientate yourself.

Well I don't think this was intended. But if it helpes who cares.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Also I had a thought while I was searching a suspicious looking area.. what if the definition of barnacles doesn't necessarily imply actual barnacles rather a general location? Take a look at this shot... don't the little hills that dot this type of landscape sort of look like giant barnacles? I'm thinking more along the lines of an explorer who is doing some high level surveying of a planetary landscape. From high up that sort of geological formation would resemble barnacles...

Just a thought

Nobody knows what the large barnacles look like

Just a thought

I've had this thought as well, but doesn't the description say that the Large Barnacles are "entities"? That would suggest some sort of actual "thing", not a landscape feature. I'd even go so far to say that entity might imply it being a living thing.

Yup another one who just cant keep his nose out of game files ....

Or another who actually realizes that David Braben likes the emphasis on Game Sounds, and Frontier has been awarded with their Sound Engineering, so it would make sense that they make sounds would it not?

But hey, go and throw the game file accusation around all you want, after all, this thread is 95% spam anyway.

I'm going to spoiler each of these replies, just for tl;dr sake. Peek at each and decide which ones you want to actually read.

Just FYI:
I had a strange encounter on Maia A 7. While I was checking out a POI and flying into the center of it in about 1.2km height, I got distracted and started to fall. While I made my descent, I boosted up to get out of the gravity well as usual. After completion of the boost and getting back to 900m-ish, my heat started spiking for no reason I could see and I started taking heat damage. I panicked and crashed my asp into the dust of the 3.8g world. :(

I have no explanation for the heat so far. It should not be possible to be friction due to atmosphere, because Maia A 7 has none to create it I think. Otherwise we would not be able to land on it at this stage of horizons, right? I have crashed my ship on this godforsaken rock before and made similar maneuvers too without the heat spiking. I just wish I could have taken a look at that POI to see if it were anything out of the ordinary causing this before the ship broke apart...

This happened to me also, although I did not crash my ship, I think I managed to record the strange heat damage event. It was like I hit a hotspot. I was in my conda and thought it was just gravity causing my thrusters to overheat. Not sure if it was the same planet. Will check when I get to my PC

I warned you all! Not everything that goes to Maia A7 comes back. Also, it's not a strange heat event. Your ship will overheat under high gravity stress if upside down or at odd angles and high velocity. This has to do with the thruster configuration. A thruster will overheat if it has to work too hard, and this will overload your heat vents. The rear and bottom thrusters of most ships are more powerful and have build-in heat dissipation to deal with the extra power, with the rear thrusters being the most powerful. At least, this is what I find in my Cobra Mk III. These thrusters will handle load better. If you fly upside down, your top thrusters will have to do the work of countering gravity and this can cause them to overheat. You can start to notice the power differential of thrusters when you fly at various angles on heavy gravity worlds. Certain orientations will cause your ship to behave more sluggishly and not be able to counter inertia and gravity. Best way to regain control is to pitch to level, right side up, set your throttle to 0 and let your flight assist recover. Also, don't have your landing gear down during normal flight as this makes your flight profile less aerodynamic and causes your thrusters to be less efficient. If you're landing, you need to do it slowly and carefully because of this. Your flight assist will do alot of the hard work for you if you just let it. In an emergency, you can boost away by pointing directly up and hitting your boost, but this will increase your heat even more. I always carry heat sinks if I expect to be going to heavy gravity worlds, and I don't usually go there unless I do have heat sinks. I never had to use any heat sinks on Maia A7 but that's because I was careful. But I very nearly did anyway.

For those of you who don't use flight assist, I would imagine you have more control over your heat buildup - but damn, if you're enough of a badass that you can fly in heavy gravity without flight assist, you don't need my advice.

This is what I don't understand.

Firstly let's discount the POI's for the moment, and just assume we are trying to locate a persistant, static Barnacle. Now, consider that the size of them is likely to be smaller than a settlement / city. Settlements are barely visible from very high up - just a few pixels in size. People have stated that the crashed persistant Anaconda's can be seen from around ~15km up, that also suggests they can't be seen beyond ~15km on a horizontal view (landscape allowing). And that's when you known where to look for them. No way then that a Barnacle can be seen from very high up if they are Anaconda sized.

So on a planet that is Earth sized, you have 510,072,000 km squared. The object you are looking for cannot be seen beyond ~15km distance. That makes the odds of discovering a persistant wreck very, very small even on a single planet. People are even having trouble finding persistent downed Anaconda's when they have the sites coordinates (and from experience I can say they are not easy to find). Throw in an entire nebula full of planets and possibly moons (we don't know if we are limited to just planets of a certain type / size after all), and it starts to seem more than a little crazy.

Barnacles in POI are a different story perhaps, as those spawn dictated by whatever parameters Frontier set - so that is just a case of getting the right POI when in the right location. Maybe...perhaps. Possibly...

It's these facts that are making me think we shouldn't just be "combing the desert" as it were, but instead should be searching and following up on any leads that may result in a clue about a more accurate location of at least one barnacle. I'm following up the Peregrina angle, I haven't seen confirmation that anyone has checked the stations there for news articles and hung around to see if anything interesting happens. Places that Galnet has mentioned in relation to the UAs might be good, Palin was investigating under the Federation and maybe there is something there to give a hint, and just checking every local news source of every station you dock at might be a good idea incase you stumble across anything.
Also there could be something left to decipher from the UA's.

If we carry on just looking blindly we could very well spend hundreds of hours each with no success and end up giving up on the whole thing when if we'd spent some of that time searching around for answers we might have come to the solution far sooner.

I personally plan to become Command Squiggsy: Ace Detective and have me some fun

I think it's clear this is a monumental task. One look at my planetary survey data (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f4LX9dMGuudvOmFvQBr-8f32VSqxzzwS_XnhrUAebBA) shows you just how much we have to do with the information available. If we are checking every blue POI, that takes time. Granted, only two CMDR's have contributed to my survey so far (and one of them is me), but it's still a tremendous amount of real estate left uncovered. I spent all day yesterday, and added in results from earlier in the week, to this survey (the ones I could find). It's still just a small amount of ground, and as we have more data added, it'll get more complicated to track. It'd be nice if we could make some detailed maps of these planets, and I have some ideas for how to do that - but the sheer volume of work necessary is daunting.

This is the sort of thing that will very quickly burn us out. I think, in lieu of further hints, what we need to do is just step back, take some time off, let the newer explorers take the work load, and just relax. The threadnaught is chugging along at full speed and that take time just to catch up - I must have spent at least 50% of my time on this search just reading these threads. That's only constructive if it helps someone else find what we're looking for, which so far hasn't happened, and that means the threadnaught hasn't earned its keep yet. But it's also too early to make that judgement. And that's it right there, in my opinion - it's too early. The mystery we've set out to solve is a big one. In real life, many mysteries can take years to solve - some never get solved. We're expecting this to be solved in a matter of months? Some of the newest details in this mystery only came out within the last few days. Maybe this is going to take time. We need to refresh and maybe even just wait for more clues to appear in Galnet. Sirius Corp is still analyzing the Antares wreckage. Maybe they will discover something that will help us? Who knows? We've been juggling alot of resources in this research. One thing we haven't been managing so well is time. That's not to say we should stop, but just maybe pace ourselves. I know that means it will take that much longer to find it, but maybe that's what we need. Time off can make a world of difference.

In any case, my survey project will remain available and I will continue to add entries to it as they are submitted. My mission has expired, but I stopped caring about those credits days ago. I could have made 10 times what they were paying me in the 6 days I spent investigating this. The only reason I kept doing this investigation long past its worth in credits is because I was actually enjoying it. I still am - just in a way I never really expected. And I think it's important to not get burned out. Time brings many gifts, among them clarity and peace of mind. I'm not saying stop if you're having fun, or if you just started. By all means, enjoy the search, but if you feel you're getting burned out or sick of it, go do something else for a while! There's no harm in taking a break - in fact, it's probably what your mind is telling you to do.

Ok if anyone who still has the Strange Alloys mission ever sees a person saying "follow my wake and we can talk" I advise doing it, I've been trying it recently and it generally relates to a mission I'm doing, could definitely be worth something following up on. Unfortunately my mission expired and I have yet to find another.

I did that. Upon arriving in his wake, he said "So the rumours were true!" and promptly opened fire on me. I killed him but he left nothing for me to follow up on. I believe he was flying an Imperial Eagle. Also, I didn't have any other missions active at the time - so it was either related to the Meta-Alloys mission or the fact that I had just picked up my UA.

HIGH ALERT

The following video was recorded by CMDR Kola2dono on Merope 3C. Notice the creepy noise. Canonn Members have been dispatched to the planet to further investigate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWbcZ0cLsQ&feature=youtu.be

At first I thought it sounded like the typical background radio noise you get from distant POI's. But after I listened to it a bit, I realized it sounded more like heavy breathing. I'm no stranger to running an SRV and the Wave Scanner in general. I've heard lots of things come out of it. I've certainly heard the radio static plenty of times. This was very subtly different from the usual. Unfortunately, I fear it was probably like that weird metallic whine I heard this one time - after I moved away from everything else on the wave scanner, I could still hear it, but the wave scanner showed nothing. It sounded similar to the whine you get when you're near certain types of debris, but this one didn't give any visual indicators and seemed more hollow. I should have gone after it, but I didn't, for UA related reasons, and I've been regretting it ever since. These things seem to go away if you don't go investigate them immediately. My advice for anyone else who picks up something you've never heard before on the wave scanner: GO AFTER IT. Don't get in your ship, just drive - drive like you never drove before. Solve the mystery in front of you - you may not get that chance again!

Well I don't think this was intended. But if it helpes who cares.

There's no sound in space, so the ship simulates sounds, because humans are more effective when all of their senses are engaged. You can tell this when you canopy blows out, and your ships speakers have no more media to transmit through.

What the heck is playing, when I am in outside the SRV (Music off, Debug cam). For sure, it cannot be music, but I am hearing strange sounds.

Edit: This is creepy. Very creepy.

Last edited:
I think i've refound the strange and rather creepy sounds at -48.0274 -40.1699 on Merope 3C

I've done some research and i've found that the sound has these properties :

It first appeard on Merope 3 C, and there are unconfirmed reports it is elsewhere.
At the start it is not pointing in any general direction, however later on it is, but it sadly does not turn into anything.
It changes a little, and at some times you can hear voice whispering.
It is more present when you stand still.
It has no correlation with signals on the wave-scanner, although if you turn it off, it dissapears, which suggest it is a radio signal, but which can only be heard not seen.
It was observed by many people, all of which did hear and agree to the creepiness of the sound and it's existence, so it's not just overreaction (we hope)

To quote (from memory) CMDR Aguri who i discovered the sound with (which strangely, started at the exact same time on both of our srvs, despite the 9km distance between us) "It would really suck if we couldn't get anything out of this"

after going trough the audio 3 or 4 times noticed 3 distinct groupings.

I heard this too, so here's what I did. I found another UA, and recorded it. I then cut a single "low" note from each sequence and put them together in series. It sounds like the notes just get gradually higher. Have a listen:

(no video, just audio)
[video=youtube;mn7Ilh1EhMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7Ilh1EhMI[/video]

I found a seemingly random POI with a data point in Merope 3C, although I've never seen this configuration before, just the flashing cylinders besides some tea factories.

I saw a few of them already, within Pleiades - no idea if they're found elsewhere. If you look at front of the buildings, you'll see numbers - always the same ones:
31-8-2
19-20-2
38-89-9
12-21-15

If they're coordinates, I made a visualisation here.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom