- The Sar-i Sang Nebula
- The Lensing Lighthouse
- The Dover Lights
- Mariner’s Prospect
- The Gloaming
- NGC 1999
- NGC 6886
- Fleur-de-Lis Nebula

Hi Corbin, are you sure you covered everything up to post 1560? Or are you still working on them? I see a bunch of entries (posts 1540 through 1550, at least) that still need addressing.

Thanks! =)

Don't take this as criticism, but I feel like map updates, descriptions and other information should be based on one of:

* In-game phenomena ("This nebula is a blue-green color")
* Historical information or real-world information ("This nebula was discovered by Edward Pickering on Aug 28, 1874")
* Special game-specific events ("The nebula has been the focus of a mystery when mysterious emissions were detected in it, and has lead to a hunt by other Commanders to decode the signals")
* Generic descriptions ("The nebula is positioned high above the galactic plane, giving it a feeling of isolation")

So, for the new description you provided, I'm trying to figure out where the "oxygen" and the "believe Ishtar is haunted" fit into this?

Good points - Let me answer that on behalf of Ishtar :)

* In-game phenomena: The Ishtar region stands out on the in-game galaxy map, due to its distinct blue color.

* Special game-specific events: The Mercury 7 Expedition is that event. The expedition was asked by the Mapping Project to help uncover the mystery of Ishtar.

More generally you could say that the Mapping Project walks a fine line between being based on 'objective' criteria like the four you mention, but also leaving some room for narrative that may spark the imagination.

Hi Corbin, are you sure you covered everything up to post 1560? Or are you still working on them? I see a bunch of entries (posts 1540 through 1550, at least) that still need addressing.

My bad :) - it should be post 1545 (fixed).

Last edited:
Good points - Let me answer that on behalf of Ishtar :)

* In-game phenomena: The Ishtar region stands out on the in-game galaxy map, due to its distinct blue color.

* Special game-specific events: The Mercury 7 Expedition is that event. The expedition was asked by the Mapping Project to help uncover the mystery of Ishtar.

More generally you could say that the Mapping Project walks a fine line between being based on 'objective' criteria like the four you mention, but also leaving some room for narrative that may spark the imagination.

Those are all fair answers. I also wasn't aware about the request to "discovery the mystery" of the Ishtar area.

I guess I'd personally like a little more description and/or narrative than "believe it is haunted", but that's up to those that went on the mission. I'd ask:

* What did you observe that made you think it was 'haunted'?
* Was there anything that was significantly unusual, that would make a stand-out POI?
* How did the region compare or contrast to other regions?

New POI:

POI Name: NGC 6790 Nebula
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Galmap Ref: BD+01 3979

Desc: "NGC 6790 is a blue-green planetary nebula in Aquila. It was discovered by Edward Pickering on Jul 16, 1882 and described as 'planetary nebula, bright, extremely small, stellar image equivalent to 9.5 magnitude'. Recent survey shows the nebula at only 1/10th light year in diameter, which is unusually small for this type of nebula. The host Wolf-Rayet star has over 2 solar masses, so we can conclude it is in the early stage of blowing off its' outer layers to form the nebula. Two cool dwarf stars and an unusual helium-rich giant can also be found in the system. "

Ee9Tonil.png

Those are all fair answers. I also wasn't aware about the request to "discovery the mystery" of the Ishtar area.

I guess I'd personally like a little more description and/or narrative than "believe it is haunted", but that's up to those that went on the mission. I'd ask:

* What did you observe that made you think it was 'haunted'?
* Was there anything that was significantly unusual, that would make a stand-out POI?
* How did the region compare or contrast to other regions?

This is the new EDSM map description:

Ishtar is located within the larger Zephyrus region of the Norma-Outer Arm.

Observed from afar the region stands out due to its unique blue luminescence. The blue light emitted is too faint to be perceivable once you approach or enter the region itself.
When explorers from the Mercury 7 expedition passed through the region, they found there to be a slightly increased pressence of oxygen in the interstellar medium within Ishtar (and also to a lesser degree within the wider Zephyrus region). The highly dispersed oxygen emits blueish light when agitated by solar winds, thus causing the unusual phenomenon.

Why there would be an increased pressence of oxygen within the region is cause to some speculation. The most prominent hypothesis is that this is due to a collision between the Sagittarius Stellar Stream and the Milky Way galaxy in the past.
As the Sagittarius Stream pierced the galactic disc in the Ishtar region, the sudden overabundance of hydrogen gas, as well as the gravitational disturbances, resulted in an extraordinary starburst. The stars formed at this event probably had more than 150 solar masses each and exploded after only one to five million years - thus being both extremely heavy and very shortlived. These massive stars produced oxygen in their interior as part of their evolution, and this oxygen was later dispersed across the region as the stars (due to their size) exploded in pair-instability supernovae - thus leaving no black holes or neutron stars behind.
In a very real sense, the blue light of Ishtar is caused by the ghosts of these massive giants from the past - a faint glow brought forth by the solar wind of their younger and smaller descendants.

POI type: limit of galaxy.

SYSTEM: Thaae Pruae CL-Y g7 ( if i can select NAME OF POI : CYJ )

Hi dr. negativo,

I'm afraid this doesn't work as a "limit of galaxy" or "most below plane" point; the system known as "Mariana" (Syrumbi YE-A g4) is farther below the plane and has been reached. But thanks for your ongoing explorations!

POI: Candy Floss Nebula
POI Type: Nebula (Supernova remnant)

Hi malenfant,

It turns out there is already a nebula by the name of Candy Floss, and quite close to the nebula you submitted. Do you have a different name you'd like to use?

This nebula has been renamed to 'Sugar Stick' until a better name can be suggested.

New POI:

POI Name: Heaven's Lathe
POI Type: Stellar Feature
Galmap Ref: HD 175876

Desc: "The bright O-type star HD 175876 has a companion neutron-star with a surprising feature: Extremely large rings. The effective radius of the rings are 12 light seconds, and it has a mass of 5.16 x 10^17 kg - slightly greater than Thebe, a small moon of Jupiter. As the neutron star has a radius on the order of 10km, this object has an exceptionally large ring size relative to the central body. These massive metal-rich rings would provide enough material for hundreds of years for any colony."

wzVnDryl.png

Hyponia Permit Locked Sector

Inspired by CMDR Billy Chase I set out to map the borders of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. I do have to admit that I underestimated the effort required to make these seemingly simple outlines. Fortunately I received assistance from CMDR TwoFingers, who mapped the lower half of the sphere that is the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. I am also glad to have noticed that CMDR TwoFingers and me are not the only lunatics explorers to follow in the footsteps of CMDR Billy Chase

Mapping the borders of this permit locked sector has proven to be no easy task! In 3301 the Daedalus Wing, comprising of CMDRS Erimus and Zenika, set out to map the borders of this system; this mission was cut short due to developments in the Formidine Rift. In 3303 a second attempt was made with the Hyponia Horizon Mission, which after seemingly having bled to death was finished with a complete different crew than that with which the mission was started!

The Hyponia permit locked sector is generally spherical in shape, the region intersects the Galactic Plane, and extends roughly 500 LY above and below the plane, encompassing a volume of roughly 1000 LY in diameter. No astronomical anomalies were encountered during the survey, however it has been noted that inside the upper spherical region the stars appear to be more dense than in the lower part.

angular views:

7NmzJVk.png
JCaHdjr.png
zes3e9O.png

Viewed from the east:

x0c7y9r.png

Viewed from the south:

5E9Sjta.png

Viewed from the top:

srEXZQ6.png

The pictures are a result of merging a subset of my own travel history with a subset of CMDR TwoFingers'.

Inspired by CMDR Billy Chase I set out to map the borders of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. I do have to admit that I underestimated the effort required to make these seemingly simple outlines. Fortunately I received assistance from CMDR TwoFingers, who mapped the lower half of the sphere that is the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. I am also glad to have noticed that CMDR TwoFingers and me are not the only lunatics explorers to follow in the footsteps of CMDR Billy Chase

Nice work!

Grand Rings

New POI:

POI Name: Grand Rings
POI Type: Planetary Feature
Galmap Ref: Cheae Euq ER-L C21-0

Desc: "The third gas giant of this system has a close-orbiting moon providing spectacular views of the gas giant and ring system. Visitors should note that due to the axial tilts of the gas giant and the moon, and the rotation of each object, the view of the rings will vary over a 5.6-day interval.

The location was designated by Universal Cartographics as a tourist location and a navigational reference is available during visits. The navigational reference, perhaps by accident, is not for a physical marker but a data point located inside the moon; as such you can not approach closer than 1 Mm to the navigational reference.

This is truly a tourist location only for the most serious of explorers or travelers. The system is located 61,318 Ly from Sol and 42,757 Ly from Colonia. Beagle Point lies only 4350 Ly away.

Photograph is from Cmdr Rojo Habe."

INmFkxpl.jpg

Cmdrs, may I respectfully request that you consider my submission for entry into the Galactic Mapping project?

POI Name: The Redstone Pocket

POI Type: Star Cluster

Systems: OOB BRUE ZZ-Y, OOB BRUE BQ-Y, OOB BRUE AV-Y, OOB BRUE XO-A, OOB BRUE BV-Y

Hello Commander,

Could you define a central star to use as a reference point? The given references (eg OOB BRUE ZZ-Y) can refer to multiple stars.

Updates

Map update in progress.... posts (#1546 - #1617)

Added:

- Blue Venn Nebula
- Lost Marble Nebula
- NGC 6803 Nebula
- NGC 6804 Nebula
- NGC 6781 Nebula
- NGC 4463 Open Cluster
- NGC 1333 Nebula
- Phantom Streak Nebula (NGC 6741)
- Damselfly Nebula
- Regal and Celerity
- The Other Eye of Sauron
- Cornells' Wheel
- Corsair's Nebula
- NGC 1514
- Struve's Lost Nebula
- The Redstone Pocket
- Grill at the end of the road
- Baton's Geyser (name assigned to ' Geysers in Ceeckia SD-R c21-0' post #1567)
- Red Fog Rising (name assigned to ' Fumaroles in Tegnae HT-Z d13-4' post #1567)
- Egg Yolk Nebula
- Pony Heaven Nebula
- The Dark Fortress
- Black Giants Nebula
- Bohomaz A Nebula
- NGC 6790 Nebula
- Heaven's Lathe
- Grand Rings
- Alien Sky Nebula (using ref: Wrupeou BL-J C11-85)
- Gardens of Shangri-La
- Antares
- Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex (IC 4603/4604)
- Blue Snowball Nebula
- Funfair Geysers
- Doom Geysers

Edited:

- "NGC 1333 Reflection Nebula & Supercluster" changed to "NGC 1333 Star Cluster" to distinguish the cluster from the nebula
- "Colonia Point" POI edited to include details on visit to near-by system now named "CYJ"
- "Ring Mine" updated
- Added "B133 Nebula" and "Aquila Dark Region Nebula" to Great Rift
- Hyponia restricted sector updated with details from the Hyponia Horizons Mission

Pending/On Hold:

- Retired (post #1568) - needs more details on why unique
- all of post #1570 (many planetary nebula, no pictures)

Not Added:

- [deleted]

Removed:

- "Aquila Dark Region Nebula" removed, merged into "The Great Rift"

New Contributors:

- Pirin

Last edited:

Mapping the borders of this permit locked sector has proven to be no easy task! In 3301 the Daedalus Wing, comprising of CMDRS Erimus and Zenika, set out to map the borders of this system; this mission was cut short due to developments in the Formidine Rift. In 3303 a second attempt was made with the Hyponia Horizon Mission, which after seemingly having bled to death was finished with a complete different crew than that with which the mission was started!

The Hyponia permit locked sector is generally spherical in shape, the region intersects the Galactic Plane, and extends roughly 500 LY above and below the plane, encompassing a volume of roughly 1000 LY in diameter. No astronomical anomalies were encountered during the survey, however it has been noted that inside the upper spherical region the stars appear to be more dense than in the lower part.

angular views:

http://i.imgur.com/7NmzJVk.png http://i.imgur.com/JCaHdjr.png http://i.imgur.com/zes3e9O.png

Viewed from the east:

http://i.imgur.com/x0c7y9r.png

Viewed from the south:

http://i.imgur.com/5E9Sjta.png

Viewed from the top:

http://i.imgur.com/srEXZQ6.png

The pictures are a result of merging a subset of my own travel history with a subset of CMDR TwoFingers'.
That's an awesome achievement - We'll add as much of this to the Hyponia regional description as possible :)

Short question: is a 12 billion years old, but otherwise unremarkable solitary M class star worthy of an entry?

---

Nevermind. Just found out that there are several of them in this specific nock of the woods, oldest (so far) clocking in at 12.97713.062 GY

Last edited:
POI Name : Alien Sky Nebula
POI type: nebula
Galmap ref: Wrupeou aa-a h564

Desc: The combination of the nebula backdrop, geyser steam and sparkling starfield makes for a quite remarkable vista. Visiting the nebula you can check local geyser site on Wrupeou BL-J C11-85 1 B -42.71 -110.95

WaBuyUO.png
E4O7Kaw.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom