The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

New POI:

POI Name: NGC 1501
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Galmap Ref: GCRV 2334

Desc: "NGC 1501 (also known as the Oyster Nebula) is a planetary nebula in the constellation Camelopardalis that was first discovered by William Herschel in 1787. Located on the border of the Orio-Persean Gap and Wayfarer's Graveyard, this system features an unusually large Wolf-Rayet star (over 8.8 solar radii) in a binary orbit with a Class M red dwarf and a second Class M dwarf in a binary orbit with a smaller Class L dwarf. The first stellar complex is orbited by a high metal content world and two lava worlds, while the second is orbited by another 9 high metal content worlds."

z2RvasR.jpg

KGJsSnj.jpg

Found a cool looking planet during my aimless wondering

Possible POI Name: Burning Red Ice
POI Type: Planetary Feature
GalMap Reference: Wregoe TE-F c25-7
Possible Desc: This Rocky Ice World is very unusual in several ways. Whether it is the intense 2,100K+ surface temperature, the dark red color, or the incredibly hostile environment, it is a world that is best observed while in orbit. This deep red planet is a thing of beauty for a fairly remote object that was discovered by chance.

Screenshots:

System Map stats
x96bhOd.png

Screencap
aWdnb0G.png

Screencap (Hi Res)
red_ice_ball_by_cypherg-dbawhkr.png

Edit: I'm terrible at coming up with descriptions and names, I'm pretty sure someone else is able to come up with something better to give some life to this planet

Last edited:
Proposed POI name: Aether Nebula
POI type: Nebula
Description: Medium-sized nebula. Located over 2000 light years above the galactic plane, this nebula contains a few neutrons and white dwarfs. The Aether Nebula is named after one of the primordial deities of Greek mythology, being the personification of the pure upper air that the gods breathed - particularly apt for the nebula's position in the galaxy.

ueqiLPG.jpg

POI name : Down Below
POI type: Surface feature
Galmap ref: Hyphudgue JR-T d4-3

Desc: Probably the the lowest water geysers found so far below galactic plane on 2820 ly. You can enjoy the spectacle on Hyphudgue JR-T d4-3 2D at coordinates -5.89 -56.80 .

x3GmPMj.png

POI name: Up Above
POI type: Surface feature
Galmap ref: Quemie RH-M d7-6

Desc: Probably the highest silicon vapour geysers found above galactic plane on 2769 ly. Anyone visiting the top most part of our galaxy should pay a visit. The light conditions change very quickly, so if you get there and it is complety dark, just have a cup of tea or two and the light will come. The exact coordinates are: Quemie RH-M d7-6 8 C A -3.64 -57.49

m3O02pw.png

Last edited:
I just found a small nebula which I think should be one the map. Here are my suggestions for a name and some screenshots. I am there right now but will leave later on my expedition.

Name: Hypatia’s Lighthouse

Game map search ref: TRUECHA ZK-P E5-25

Description: A small one system nebula with a Neutron Star at its core. The whole system is glowing blue. I could see the blue spot in the sky-box from 140 Ly away. The system contains a class K, a class A and several other smaller stars and a few gas giants with its moons.

Screenshot reference:

Csv3tgU.jpg

0ewmdIU.jpg

PaXMG2X.jpg

6XrHYir.jpg

Fly/land safe.

Cmdr Steyla

POI name: Maw of Kronos
POI type: Stellar Feature
Galmap ref:
Agnairt CL-Y G1280
Desc: A deeply impressive system discovered by Commander XFightingFalconX, on the Mercury 7 Expedition in May 3303. As you enter the system, one is presented with a Black Hole, and Class B star a tiny distance appart. This startling pair can be described as a "Black Hole Sun", when viewed from the close up. Warning: spacecraft temperatures will escalate rapidly if you get close enough to see the bodies true beauty.

System
1Jmea3b.png

Close up image
0XiirIF.png

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my POI submission to show up since it got shoved into the Post Queue since at the time, I was a new poster. I wonder if I should repost it since I tried to make that post yesterday.

Last edited:
Is there a way to tag PN systems so that they don't show up on the GalMap, but when you search for them, they have a '(Planetary Nebula)' next to their name?

Not currently. We'd have to go back and re-name every PN with that in the name, which kind of defeats the purpose of having different types. A tech fix - grouping large numbers of PNs into single items at default zoom levels - has been discussed, but doesn't exist yet. Until then, we would prefer that people submit the most interesting PNs they find. Large batches of PNs without unique names, pictures, or descriptions may go on the back-burner....

I'm still waiting for my POI submission to show up since it got shoved into the Post Queue since at the time, I was a new poster. I wonder if I should repost it since I tried to make that post yesterday.

Hi CypherG,

If you can PM me the post # from this thread of your submission, I'll look into what happened =)

I dont think the post is in this thread (yet)...

@CypherG - perhabs it is most easy if you repost.

Looks like it just showed up (post #1624). I'm currently hightailing it to New Growth (while scanning everything along the way) so that I can get credit for all the uncharted stuff in the area I'm in. Was gonna take me forever to reach said asteroid base so I saved myself a lot of time by doing an almost 100 lightyear jump via Neutron star to a route to the Asteroid base.

Edit: Looks like now, my name shows up on that red ice planet since I pawned off over 21M credits worth of scan data

Last edited:
Possible POI Name: Burning Red Ice
POI Type: Planetary Feature
GalMap Reference: Wregoe TE-F c25-7
Possible Desc: This Rocky Ice World is very unusual in several ways. Whether it is the intense 2,100K+ surface temperature, the dark red color, or the incredibly hostile environment, it is a world that is best observed while in orbit. This deep red planet is a thing of beauty for a fairly remote object that was discovered by chance.

Hmm. Rocky ice worlds over 2100k aren't actually that unusual (see below) despite how odd that sounds. I'll discuss with the other mods.

439lZNZ.png

Hmm. Rocky ice worlds over 2100k aren't actually that unusual (see below) despite how odd that sounds. I'll discuss with the other mods.

Yeh I actually found a crazy Rocky Icy world on the shepard Mission - which is listed as the second hottest according to the EDDB list you show

Roefaa AE-X c3-4 4

Surface Temp: 4,725.04
Radius: 16,331.60km
Earth Masses: 28.853024
Surface Gravity: 4.312g
Surface Pressure 6,051,214 atmospheres

While not the largest on record, it is the second hottest, third most massive, and has the third highest surface pressure.

BJbIaOt.png

Last edited:

Roefaa AE-X c3-4 4

Surface Temp: 4,725.04
Radius: 16,331.60km
Earth Masses: 28.853024
Surface Gravity: 4.312g
Surface Pressure 6,051,214 atmospheres

Yeah, right.

According to Wikipedia, that planet has about twice the pressure and is only a tad less warm on its surface than the center of the Earth....

I don't like to nitpick, but in the desc for The Anthor Patch, it says "The Patch isself" instead of "itself". I thought isself might have been a word, but apparently not. And I haven't got a POI to add myself, so I'll help the project by spellchecking [haha]

POI name: Black Wig Nebula
POI type: Nebula
Galmap ref: Eimbaisys AA-A H605

POI descryption: Medium size (?) nebula not far from and above Sag A*. Most type of stars. One place to visit would be Eimbaisys WK-O d6-917 system with three water worlds (of which two are terraformable) and a water geysers site on 7 C moon at coordinates 23.60 35.30

lRNohPV.png

zW51zJW.png

Name:Ghadamon
GalMap Search Ref:WEPAA FG-Y G35
Description:An amazing, yet dangerous system, Ghadamon consists of five black holes and a neutron star in a delicate dance, including a particularly massive black hole weighing in at over 13 solar masses. This system is dangerous to navigate, as the black holes are difficult to see, causing pilots to have to rely on navigational instruments. This fascinating system also includes a planet with several moons, all of which can be touched down upon and include numerous particularly rare resources, including Tin, Tellurium, Molybdenum, Niobium, and Ruthenium, in addition to all of the necessary Jumponium materials. Be warned, however, that the central landable planet has a gravity of 2.86G, making it difficult to land upon.
Screenshot Reference:
j8uR8XM.jpg

Last edited:
Name:Wepaa Stellar Graveyard
GalMap Search Ref:WEPAA BA-A G1735 (Cubic area roughly bounded by GalMap coordinates [-10,000 : -650 : 24,000], [-9,000 : -650 : 23,000], and [-9,000 : -1,000 : 23,000])
Description:Discovered by CMDRs Felina Hawk and XFightingFalconX on the final leg of the Mercury 7 Expedition. Alternatively referred to as "Black Hole Alley" or the "Wepaa Black Hole Fields", this region of space is littered with numerous black holes. Millions of years ago, this region of space would have been densely populated by massive O-type stars, though they have long since collapsed to form this field of black holes. While some of the black holes in this region have been scanned by the Mercury 7 Expedition, there still remain many, many more left to be explored. This region contains numerous stunning features, many discovered by the Expedition itself, including the Maw of Kronos, the Ghadamon system, the Ammutseba black hole, the Matariel's Tears nebula, and the Wings of Mercury, among others.
Screenshot Reference:
Dpdkn6I.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom