The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

The four Glowing Green Giants I know locations of are:
- Blua Hypa HT-F d12-1226, about 14,500 LY away and 1500 LY West of Gagarin Gate.
- Bleia Dryiae HF-W b35-1, about 5000 LY from Sol, just past the Lagoon nebula enroute to Colonia. Probably the best-looking of the three I've been to.
- Col 285 Sector VU-M c8-1, at only a few hundred LY away from Sol it's barely outside the Bubble, but it's only got a tiny hint of green to it.
- Eol Prou KW-L c8-32, Colonia region, not too far from Jaques.

This thread has pics of the first three; I have visited the first three myself so can supply screenshots of the system maps if deemed necessary. I haven't been to the fourth one yet to verify, but I'd consider the information source reliable.

There is at least one other GGG out there. I call it "Supermoose's Lost Planet" - it was the first one of these reported, he took a screenshot of it but forgot to note the system details.

As for Glowing White Giants, I have the following noted:
- Kyloall BF-A f2322, the "Great Glowing Ball of Kyloall", perhaps the most famous, not far from Jaques on the Colonia-Sag A line. The only one I have visited to date and can post screenshots of; some screenshots from myself and the discoverer can be seen in this thread posted by the discoverer.
- Gru Phio EL-Y e21
- Wrupu CW-N E6-68
- Fleasi MS-U e2-301

As for consideration of their inclusion: my main concern is about their permanence. The GWGs are, undoubtedly, a graphical glitch and may be corrected by FD in the future; there's certainly other odd stuff reported happening with planetary illumination in GWG systems (see my sixth picture in the thread I linked to above). The green ones might be considered graphical glitches by FD too, but it might be tricky to change those without completely altering the appearance of all gas giants everywhere.

As for consideration of their inclusion: my main concern is about their permanence. The GWGs are, undoubtedly, a graphical glitch and may be corrected by FD in the future; there's certainly other odd stuff reported happening with planetary illumination in GWG systems (see my sixth picture in the thread I linked to above). The green ones might be considered graphical glitches by FD too, but it might be tricky to change those without completely altering the appearance of all gas giants everywhere.

There are items that have been corrected or changed by FDev (for example, rapidly spinning stars), but we'll still note them; they can be changed to historical notes later if FDev changes them.

As for these GWGs and GGGs, I would prefer that people actually visit them and write up a description or with screenshots. POI that are directly visited instead of just dumped into the map seem to get better descriptions and better screenshots. I may do some of these myself.

Stock 2 Cluster

New POI:

POI Name: Stock 2 Open Cluster
POI Type: Star Cluster
Galmap Ref: BD+58 392

Desc: "Stock 2 is a bright and large open cluster Cassiopeia constellation. The cluster was identified by astronomer Jurgen Stock as part of 24 different open clusters. The cluster received the nickname of "Muscleman Cluster" from the appearance of a man flexing his muscles, or lifting weights, according to different observers. The cluster is easily identified on Earth under good conditions with the naked eye, and often observed with binoculars due to the large size of the cluster.

Stock 2 is a large and diffuse cluster, containing a few 'named' stars scattered throughout the procedurally-generated stars. The Stock 2 sector is embedded inside the Wredguia and Synuefai Sectors, carving out a sphere roughly 200 Ly in diameter.

The most unusual member of the association is carbon-star HIP 9057. While not otherwise interesting, the HIP 9057 has a companion M-class star which has a life-bearing water world suitable for terraforming. BD+58 392 is an orange giant with many ringed bodies and gas giants (see photo). HIP 11631 has an earth-like world in close orbit around the M-class secondary star. HIP 13457 has a terraformable water-world moon of a Y-class dwarf (orbiting B-class primary)."

RiWYmtLl.png

Last edited:
Lich

New POI:

POI Name: Lich
POI Type: Pulsar
Galmap Ref: PSR J1300+1240

Desc: "Lich, also named (PSR B1257+12 or PSR J1300+1240) is a pulsar located 2300 light years from the Sun. It is historically significant as the location for the first extra-solar planets ever discovered. Lich was discovered by the Polish astronomer Aleksander Wolszczan on 9 February 1990 using the Arecibo radio telescope. It is a millisecond pulsar with a rotation period of 6.22 milliseconds (9,650 rpm), and was found to have anomalies in the pulsation period, which led to investigations as to the cause of the irregular pulses. In 1992 Wolszczan and Dale Frail published a famous paper on the first confirmed discovery of planets outside our solar system. Using refined methods one more planet was found orbiting this pulsar in 1994.

In July 2014, the International Astronomical Union launched a process for giving proper names to certain exoplanets and their host stars. The process involved public nomination and voting for the new names. In December 2015, the IAU announced the winning names were Lich for this pulsar and Draugr, Poltergeist and Phobetor, for its planets (A, B and C, respectively). Draugr is the smallest-known mass extra-solar planet, at just over twice the mass of Earth's moon.

The pulsar is located in an area of extremely low star density and will require long-ranged ship and/or frameshift drive injection to reach."

Needs Photo.

Last edited:
Mira

New POI

POI Name: Mira
POI Type: Stellar Feature
Galmap ref: Mira

Desc: "Mira, alternatively designated Omicron Ceti, is a red giant star 400 light-years from Sol. It is the prototype star for the class of variables known as Mira variables, of which over 6000 are known. Mira variables are pulsating variable stars characterized by very red colours, pulsation periods longer than 100 days, and amplitudes greater than one magnitude in infrared and 2.5 magnitude at visual wavelengths.

Mira is in the constellation Cetus and is speculated to have been known to ancient astronomers. Its' earliest known and validated observation was by astronomer David Fabricius beginning on August 3, 1596. Mira has a distant M-class companion star with a set of gas giants and small rocky bodies."

BjNuDwIl.png

Helios Rock Garden

New POI:

POI Name: Helios Rock Garden
POI Type: Planetary Features
Galmap ref: TYC 3319-306-1

Desc: "Located 600 Ly from Sol, this is one of the most dense systems known, containing over 150 different bodies around a trinary star group. It contains 27 different bodies with rings and dozens of small moons suitable for landing. Perhaps most astonishingly it contains 13 of the rare helium-rich gas giants.

Given the large amount of helium and rocky bodies, some scientists speculate a nearby supernova may have ripped apart a heavy star, which reformed into the system seen today. "

ugPLZFIl.png

containing over 150 different bodies around a trinary star group. It contains 27 different bodies with rings and dozens of small moons suitable for landing. Perhaps most astonishingly it contains 13 of the rare helium-rich gas giants.

wow, so who wants to go scan the entire system over the weekend! :D

Rigel

New POI

POI Name: Rigel
POI Type: Stellar Features
Galmap ref: Rigel

Desc: "Rigel (also designated Beta Orionis) is generally the seventh-brightest star in the night sky of Earth and the brightest star in the constellation of Orion. It forms the left "foot" of Orion, and the name Rigel traces to the historical Arabic name 'Rijl Jauzah al Yusrā', "the left foot of Jauzah [Orion]". It was well known throughout ancient Earth cultures, and was commonly seen in fiction in the days before spaceflight was common.

Rigel itself (or Rigel A) is a bright blue-white supergiant and Alpha Cygni variable. The general spectral type of Rigel as B8 is well-established and it has been used as a defining point of the spectral classification sequence for supergiants. Rigel's companion is a typical B-class dwarf star. Note that due to the mechanics of frameshift drive, travelers will arrive at the companion star, which is more massive. The separation between the companion and the primary is approximately 8,000 light-seconds. "

Z8oGqCFl.png

POI name: Spark Geysers
POI type: surface features
Galmap ref: Phleedgoe ZW-N c22-5

Desc: Named after nearby The Flame Torch Nebula (Phleedgoe DL-Y g805) lies a small but charmfull site with silicate vapour geysers you can visit exploring the Nebula. You can find them on moon 7 B at coordinates 28.45 -53.82

88Mb07u.jpg

Last edited:
POI name: Mad Hatter Nebula
POI type: Nebula
Galmap ref: Vegnaa FD-H b40-1

Desc: Medium size nebula noted ad photographed by passing by geyer hunter, still waiting to be properly explored and described. Named after it's distinctive shape.

TW4PGP5.png

POI name: Mad Hatter's geysers
POI type: surface features
Galmap ref: Vegnaa ED-H b40-2

Desc: Close to Mad Hatter Nebula there is a site with quite rare ammonia magma geysers. Quite active and worth a visit. Make sure your life support system is well sealed as certain rumors connect the site name to ammonia fumes that managed to get to air circulation of discoverer's Asp, being usually in quite bad shape. Site is on small 7 B moon at coordinates 8.80 -109.50

gHdDyR2.png

Last edited:
Just gonna point out that the data for this system is still kinda screwy on EDSM (only 9 object scans made it out of 46). I was also kinda annoyed that the planet was not a record breaker on EGO since those top 2 guys keep finding utter freaks of nature.

POI NameThe Vela Furnace
POI TypePlanetary Feature
Galmap RefQ Velorum
DescriptionThe most distant planet in the system Q Velorum (HD 88206) over 1,300 Light years from Sol (not to be confused with the bubble system "q Velorum," also called HD 88955). This is a planet of dangerous extremes. It possesses intense gravity (12.17g), extreme mass (106.897 Earth masses), and temperatures hot enough to sublimate carbon (4,148.5K). Landing on the planet is impossible with current technology, meaning that, for the time being, deep space miners will have to use the plentiful ring system in order to gather resources.
Screenshot
SjIClrL.png

Last edited:
Just gonna point out that the data for this system is still kinda screwy on EDSM (only 9 object scans made it out of 46). I was also kinda annoyed that the planet was not a record breaker on EGO since those top 2 guys keep finding utter freaks of nature.

They sound familiar, but those two guys on the top sound like utter pricks. ;)

Though to be fair, I never count hand-authored systems with regards to statistical record-breakers anyway, because in the spirit of fairness they can have all kinds of crazy values that aren't possible within the boundaries of procedurally generated systems.

Last edited:
Pencil Nebula

New POI

POI Name: Pencil Nebula (NGC 2736)
POI Type: Nebula
Galmap Ref: Pencil Sector EL-Y D5

Desc: "The Pencil Nebula (also known as NGC 2736) is a small part of the Vela Supernova Remnant, located near the Vela Pulsar in the constellation Vela. The nebula's linear appearance triggered its popular name. It resides about 815 light-years away from the Solar System. It is thought to be formed from part of the shock wave of the larger Vela Supernova Remnant.

The nebula was discovered by John Herschel on March 1st, 1835. The nebula is blue and brown, is small for a non-planetary nebula, and contains no systems inside."

iryF3Fvl.png

I wonder if the star system HIP 47126 could be considered a POI if only because of those two extremely fast spinning Neutron Stars (one is 2.05 milliseconds, the other is 1.653 milliseconds, the latter being an EGO record breaker). They spin fast enough that they could be considered Millisecond Pulsars (I could see the high energy jets from over 1,000 lightseconds away). In any case, I might as well post it (I'll probably insert a screenshot or two later since it is very late and I'm tired). Also, going to point out I was not the original founder of the system, but I just thought it sucked that no one has posted it yet.

For reference on next update: As per conversation with Andrew Gaspurr, the only objects that will be classified as pulsars (and using the pulsar category) will be systems starting with 'PSR' or named pulsars (Crab Pulsar, LGM-1). The reason behind this is that *all* neutron stars currently show jets, and we can't make all of them pulsars.

Accordingly on the next update 'Twin Eaters' will be reclassified as a Stellar Feature and 'pulsar' in the description changed to 'neutron star'.

POI name: Door to Heaven (Hypao Brai AA-A H6)
POI type: nebula
Galmap ref: Hypao Brai XJ-R c20-2

Desc: Medium size nebula spotted in Orio-Persean Conflux, still waiting to be fully checked.

PhFn3AG.jpg

POI name: Door to Heaven geysers
POI type: surface feature
Galmap ref: Hypao Brai RI-T c19-5

Desc: Field of active silicate vapour geysers on a small rocky world circling it's bigger brother on close orbit. Offers good views of nearby Door to Heaven Nebula, and far beyond differently coloured Mad Hatter nebula. To visit the site go to moon 1 B A coordinates -31.78 -128.96

or3KUhg.jpg

Last edited:
POI Name : Clemenceau's Ashes

POI Type : A Blue SuperGiant

GalMap Ref : Eord Prau AA-A H16

Description : This is a system with a huge A blue supergiant, B star and Herbig's star. When you appear in front of the Supergiant, the distance is 2000-1800 sl (for me it's huge). The supergiant in the 3rd picture is in the middle, and take at 6000sl.

Screenshots :
Sorry for the size
ZRvvw8i.jpg
WoR0IEf.jpg
KiB70y6.jpg

Top Bottom