Patch Notes Update Update 2.4.04 - PS4 Only

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
On my pro everything looks crisp again. No more missing textures and no more texture popping. Much better here. [up]

Things look slightly sharper too. And transition into hyperspace looks much smoother now.

Last edited:
On my pro everything looks crisp again. No more missing textures and no more texture popping. Much better here. [up]

Things look slightly sharper too. And transition into hyperspace looks much smoother now.

It must just be us non-Pro users who are still seeing texture-popping. I posted my video on the XBox forum, and so far the word is that they don't see what I'm seeing. I want to get a few more reports before I open a new bug report.

I will say that with this update, the graphics have transitioned from unplayable to simply annoying / disappointing for me. I know I'm personally still dealing with inferior graphics compared to 2.3 (particularly shadow quality and LOD popping). My FPS also took a hit with this latest update, but I can live with that.

Anyone out there have both the XBox and a "non-Pro" PS4? I'd love someone to do a side-by-side comparison post-update. I may spend some time in the XBox screenshot thread and see if I can replicate some of those on my PS4, as I think this would be very telling (one way or the other).

So do we have non Pro Commanders in the house? That have tested this patch?

Yep. I'm unimpressed. Minecraft textures are gone (gotta change my sig), but I'm still seeing what feels like sub-par graphics. I'm trying to collaborate with some XBox owners to see if we can create some side-by-side screenshots that compare XBox with PS4 "vanilla" post 2.4 update. Perhaps my graphics have always been crappy, and I just happened to clean my glasses the day 2.4 dropped. Or I'm losing my mind.. Anything is possible! The only way to prove or disprove my suspicions is to do a side-by-side with an equivalent but different platform (ie - the XBox).

Or with a screen from another PS4 CMDR...

That won't disprove my suspicions - that 2.4 is worse graphically on vanilla PS4 than 2.3 was, at least in certain aspects. We're all basing how ED looks now (compared to 2.3) on our subjective memories. I could go back to some of the PS4 screenshots from before 2.4 and see if I can replicate those. Of course these will need to be from other "vanilla" PS4s.

The nice thing with the XBox is that I can take some shots of things in-game that stand out to me as "crappy graphics" and ask an XBox owner to duplicate that image on their platform. If it also looks crappy on the XBox, then it's either a 2.4 issue on all platforms, or it's always looked crappy and I've only noticed it post-2.4 because "texturegate" drew my eye to it.

If, however, it looks great on the XBox, then there is a problem, and I'll have the smoking gun to prove it.

Last edited:
love the fact that after this update all the menus in starport services take forever to load. Nice job frontier, keep breaking 2 thing every time you "fix" one.

It must just be us non-Pro users who are still seeing texture-popping. I posted my video on the XBox forum, and so far the word is that they don't see what I'm seeing. I want to get a few more reports before I open a new bug report.

I will say that with this update, the graphics have transitioned from unplayable to simply annoying / disappointing for me. I know I'm personally still dealing with inferior graphics compared to 2.3 (particularly shadow quality and LOD popping). My FPS also took a hit with this latest update, but I can live with that.

Totally agree with you there Old Duck. I'm using a PRO and it's still not as it should be. Seems to me (I could also be going mad) that the planet textures have also taken a hit.

Well, it appears at least some of what I'm seeing is also happening on the XBox. In particular, LOD-popping. Here's a video that replicates what I'm seeing, except this is from an XBox One player.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/HassleTheHofff/video/38007971

So whatever this is, it's not a PS4-specific bug... Whether it's a bug at all or just a very annoying "feature" is another question, along with whether or not this was introduced in 2.4. At least one CMDR claims that XBox also received some graphical "degradation" in 2.4, but without a time machine, it'll be mighty hard to prove this.

I'll probably open a new bug report just in case, and I'll include both PS4 and XBox videos. Where it's on multiple platforms, it must definitely be separate from "texturegate" (though I have to suspect there is at least some relationship).

Next step is to compare lighting and shadows between XBox and PS4.

ps - this does affect "normal" gameplay for me. I went to a Thargoid site today during lunch as a quick test, and the popping effect was extra noticeable on a Clipper / Cutter - part of the hull would "toggle" from solid black to solid white as I approached.

Last edited:
Do you have a crazy wall for texturegate? I’d love to see it =]

Haha, yeah - this forum and my Twitter account, LOL. I just have to figure out how to connect these posts with real yarn; might have to get my laser printer out of storage... :D

d29fd44deca98a37d32956cb5373b710.jpg

I've been playing the updated version for the last few hours and apart from some difference in the planetary surface textures that were already mentioned (very smooth / lacking detail on descent) the main thing I'm noticing is a reduced quality regarding the in-flight hud and panels. I'm playing on PS4 Pro on a 4K TV and the HUD in quality mode was always noticeably crisper than in performance mode, now it looks about the same between modes. Nothing major, just saying.

Incomplete Mission List

love the fact that after this update all the menus in starport services take forever to load. Nice job frontier, keep breaking 2 thing every time you "fix" one.

After the patch along with the above statement when they do load I am getting a message stating "Incomplete mission list displayed could not get full list from server."

Anyone else seeing this or a similar statement !! or offer any advice as to what to do

On a seperate note can anyone give me a link for the sig bars with the elite dangerous theme please Thank You all :) :)

Well, it appears at least some of what I'm seeing is also happening on the XBox. In particular, LOD-popping. Here's a video that replicates what I'm seeing, except this is from an XBox One player.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/HassleTheHofff/video/38007971

So whatever this is, it's not a PS4-specific bug... Whether it's a bug at all or just a very annoying "feature" is another question, along with whether or not this was introduced in 2.4. At least one CMDR claims that XBox also received some graphical "degradation" in 2.4, but without a time machine, it'll be mighty hard to prove this.

I'll probably open a new bug report just in case, and I'll include both PS4 and XBox videos. Where it's on multiple platforms, it must definitely be separate from "texturegate" (though I have to suspect there is at least some relationship).

Next step is to compare lighting and shadows between XBox and PS4.

ps - this does affect "normal" gameplay for me. I went to a Thargoid site today during lunch as a quick test, and the popping effect was extra noticeable on a Clipper / Cutter - part of the hull would "toggle" from solid black to solid white as I approached.

I noticed this on xbox when I got my first conda just before 2.2 launched, it still and has always done it on ps pro.

[video]https://twitter.com/aFad_Mr/status/920764462453411842?s=09[/video]

I've never seen it look quite as bad as the first vid you posted of the approach to the asteroid base but even on pro I've noticed performance issues both inside and out.

I think the texture problem you had has just made it more obvious :(

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom