How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

It has always been empty for me. I bought Horizons at a very odd time (when it wasn't a DLC, but a separate product), and apparently I have a steam account, but I've always played outside steam.

Anyway, I found the problem. For some reason, lutris had added "/steam" to my launch settings for the client, and that results in this error. I'm guessing it can't find the steam libraries and therefore fails.

On the first part if you bought it in Steam then you need to download the game through Steam as their won't be any files in your account to download (as it expects you to get it through steam), they removed the previous hosted executable link from their main webpage and now new downloads are via a randomly generated link from the frontier account.

Second point the /steam command is a workaround that stops the UI from glitching out, however using it will obviously put the launcher in steam mode and that's where it expects to get updates from.

I have two accounts, with the non steam account I use lutris but point to my steam directory and let steam handle the updates. I do something similar on Windows too except with the renamed launcher trick.

Is anyone suddenly having problems with the launcher not be logged in and and not taking your password to log in again?!

Don't now if this is odd, but my launcher says, "Single player combat training" at the top.

I can get into the demo though.

Edit: NVM, it's auto logging back in for me. But it says issue detected. I guess there servers are down or something weirder is happening. Did I just happen to alt tab and crash my game when they were going down for bug fixes? I did not see any messages.

Potential solution: I entered demo mode and it asked to make a hardware test thing to determine settings. Afterwords login happened as normal.

Last edited:
Is anyone suddenly having problems with the launcher not be logged in and and not taking your password to log in again?!

Don't now if this is odd, but my launcher says, "Single player combat training" at the top.

I can get into the demo though.

Edit: NVM, it's auto logging back in for me. But it says issue detected. I guess there servers are down or something weirder is happening. Did I just happen to alt tab and crash my game when they were going down for bug fixes? I did not see any messages.

Potential solution: I entered demo mode and it asked to make a hardware test thing to determine settings. Afterwords login happened as normal.

It was this : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/launcher-failing-to-synchronize.509943/

4.6 staging from winehq had a problem with the vram maxing out for me no matter the settings. It would then crash if you alt tabed out and tried to get back in. This appears to be better with 4.7. I ran it at default ultra settings and it hovered around 95% in station and I could alt tab out and back in. But if I put the setting for the gpu to pull more weight to max it would hit 99% and crash on alt tabbing back in. Although very slowly like it used to.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is this wine, the game, the os, or the hardware? Shouldn't the card be able to alt tab at maximum vram usage in normal ideal use?

Either way 4.6 had massive problems with alt tabbing.

It still seems to be slowly filling up and then crashing. Even at low settings. But it gives more time to alt tab. So far, I can play if I don't alt tab out. Don't have a workable secondary monitor though.

Last edited:
At least it seems like the problem with the controller not being recognized has been fixed with the April update. Hope I wasn't premature in posting..:)

The other day the game seemed to work ok, have just installed patch 1 and game keeps crashing, but I'll try later when the servers are more stable.

Quick question, when I run a -s install for winetricks, debian wants to install a few no-name video drivers too.
They won't interfere with my current X setup (or whatever it's called these days) that has nvidia drivers installed and working properly, will they?

I upgraded to Kubuntu 19.04 (kernel 5.0.0-13-generic)
Following the instructions of https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine, I installed:
wine-4.7 (Staging)
winetricks version 20181203
Running the command wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam in the elite directory failed for the first time on Kubuntu (used 18.10 before):

0009:err:module:fixup_imports_ilonly mscoree.dll not found, IL-only binary L"EDLaunch.exe" cannot be loaded

Using wine64 winecfg, in Libraries, I changed the mscoree from a native version to a Builtin (Wine) version.
This brought me only little further:

009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"configSections" in state 2
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"sectionGroup" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"section" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"enforceFIPSPolicy" in state 4
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"userSettings" in state 2
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"CobraBay.Properties.Settings" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"setting" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"value" in state 6
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.

Anyone else having problems with wine-4.7 staging?

I upgraded to Kubuntu 19.04 (kernel 5.0.0-13-generic)
Following the instructions of https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine, I installed:
wine-4.7 (Staging)
winetricks version 20181203
Running the command wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam in the elite directory failed for the first time on Kubuntu (used 18.10 before):

0009:err:module:fixup_imports_ilonly mscoree.dll not found, IL-only binary L"EDLaunch.exe" cannot be loaded

Using wine64 winecfg, in Libraries, I changed the mscoree from a native version to a Builtin (Wine) version.
This brought me only little further:

009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"configSections" in state 2
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"sectionGroup" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"section" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"enforceFIPSPolicy" in state 4
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"userSettings" in state 2
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"CobraBay.Properties.Settings" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"setting" in state 6
0009:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"value" in state 6
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.

Anyone else having problems with wine-4.7 staging?

Running on Arch Linux, wine-staging 4.7 is running fine for me.

Greetings cmdts.
Until relatively few hours ago I played Elite dangerous, in my distribution of Manjaro with the proton version of guithub 3.16-8 Beta ED, the question esque to the end of my expedition route home I began to suffer a lowering of fps and that It's not cool!

I ventured to try the official proton version of steam 4.2-3 and here I started my ordeal, the game did not work, and I tried to reinstall the game, to see which dev I added to 4.2, I need help: S

How can I enjoy the game again? I am relatively amateur in linux systems, this computer works because I hit the head every time I have to install some XD utility by console.

And the most important thing, Even if Windows is tempting is not an option, linux stays!

This message has been translated from Spanish to English using google translator, sorry for the inconvenience.​

Well, i did it. I got it working.

I've been playing for hours, literally no issues. so..many..keybindings!!

thank you all for your efforts.

Hi, just found this thread, and have a couple of questions (surprise hehe) :D

I have two accounts and I want to keep the journal log files separate as one of the accounts is in EDSM. If I use Lutris to run one account and wine for the other (both using the same Steam install), will they have have the logs in different locations? Seems that I could run EDMC from source to upload the logs and station prices etc.

On Windows I have two separate Windows users to run different accounts (both using the regular, non-Steam install) which has kept the logs and screenshots separate, and I use EDDiscovery for logs, but looks like there is no way to run EDDi natively in Linux. While I prefer EDDi, EDMC might be the way to go on Linux.

I wish we had a launcher that could handle multiple accounts, like Eve Online launcher does. Would simplify having multiple accounts a bit. I think there was talk about having multiple saves per account before the Elite launched but I guess that idea has been scrapped long time ago.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but the Wiki in the OP only seems to support Steam installs.
Via Frontier Installer
TODO

Is there a way to install under Linux via "non-Steam" accounts ?

Forgive me if I've missed something, but the Wiki in the OP only seems to support Steam installs.

Is there a way to install under Linux via "non-Steam" accounts ?

The rest is correct for a non steam install, just frontier changed the download location of their install client making the old method that I think was on that page obsolete.

For the installation of the client, if you own a Frontier version (not steam) you now have to download the newest client installer via your Frontier account under my downloadable products.

Then simply create a new prefix with: WINEPREFIX=~/ED_pfx winecfg

Then close the winecfg box, cd to the Downloads folder where the ED installer is then run: WINEPREFIX=~/ED_pfx wine64 EliteDangerous-Client-Installer.exe

Once you've installed it the rest of that page must be followed in order to get it up running.

Can someone help. I don't understand what's going on.

I'm trying to get this installed but when I do -

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks dotnet40 dxvk win7

I get the error message

dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/ruth/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found

Do I just ignore this?

I manually found the folder with ngen.exe in it and it was indeed there. so I deleted it and ran the command again but now the folder has not reappeared and I'm getting the same error message.

Can someone help. I don't understand what's going on.

I'm trying to get this installed but when I do -

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks dotnet40 dxvk win7

I get the error message

dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/ruth/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found

Do I just ignore this?

I manually found the folder with ngen.exe in it and it was indeed there. so I deleted it and ran the command again but now the folder has not reappeared and I'm getting the same error message.

Try deleting the .wine prefix in your home folder and starting with a fresh prefix with WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

I assume your using latest versions of wine/winetricks? If not older versions can cause issues when installing .Net.

Top Bottom